• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women: Advice on trail runners/shoes

Nana6

Time of past OR future Camino
France ( 2020)
Looking for a trail runner or trail shoe. The stores all say the one they carry is the best. I have having problems finding a good fit that will last the whole CF The Hoka Speedgoat feels great but the salespeople say they only last about 100 km.The Keen doesn't fit. Any suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They must mean 1000 km. However, even then you might need to buy a second pair to last through the next year of training and then the 800 km of the CF. Some people are not as hard on their shoes as others.

Fit and comfort are virtually the only things to consider (although a decent tread and traction are important too). You might need to try out a number of brands, models and sizes. Make sure they are plenty roomy - I suggest trying larger and larger sizes until you find one the is truly "too big." Then go back to the next lower size.

Looking for a trail runner or trail shoe. The stores all say the one they carry is the best. I have having problems finding a good fit that will last the whole CF The Hoka Speedgoat feels great but the salespeople say they only last about 100 km.The Keen doesn't fit. Any suggestions?

If they said the Speedgoat only lasts for 100K then they are not to be trusted on any of the advice offered. The Speedgoat will definitely get far better mileage than that, and is more than likely to last for 600 miles worth of usable wear. Of course, there are variables based on how people walk, pronation issues, weight of a person, etc which affects durability.

My son uses the Speedgoat, is an avid backpacker, and currently has over 650 trail miles in the Rockies with his.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If they said the Speedgoat only lasts for 100K then they are not to be trusted on any of the advice offered. The Speedgoat will definitely get far better mileage than that, and is more than likely to last for 600 miles worth of usable wear. Of course, there are variables based on how people walk, pronation issues, weight of a person, etc which affects durability.

My son uses the Speedgoat, is an avid backpacker, and currently has over 650 trail miles in the Rockies with his.
Thanks, I really like the Speedgoat But they wanted me to get A Keen and it doesn't fit me right

They must mean 1000 km. However, even then you might need to buy a second pair to last through the next year of training and then the 800 km of the CF. Some people are not as hard on their shoes as others.

Fit and comfort are virtually the only things to consider (although a decent tread and traction are important too). You might need to try out a number of brands, models and sizes. Make sure they are plenty roomy - I suggest trying larger and larger sizes until you find one the is truly "too big." Then go back to the next lower size.
No, I clarified the distance cause it shocked me. I think he didn't like Hola brand
The Saloman they didn't have in my size to try. Was just wondering what people thought and what they used

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That would be ridiculous. Many people would have to buy new shoes every two weeks.
I may buy them but not there. Was wondering what others were wearing? I realize everyone's feet are different.
Thanks for replying.

Last year, like many others, I made the switch from Keen boots to Altra Trail Runners, specifically the Timp. I like the cushioning and I switch out the insole for one by Powerstep which gives me arch and metatarsal support. This is just one of a number of suitable options. Really knowledgable footwear sales people who won't push something on you are rare though I did find a great one at Midwestern Mountaineering in Minneapolis.

I walked the CF in inov8 trail talon 290. Really light weight. The breathable upper mesh was a blessing when my feet were swollen and re-lacing gave extra expansion when at their worst. I walked 3 days in heavy rain and never had a problem with soaking feet. I didn't have time to break them in at home as I had problems finding the right shoes long before I left. It took 2 weeks on the walk for them to become moulded. I went a size up from my usual trainer although I would go a size and a half next time maybe two. The grip was very good, hiking up or down hill, in wet weather I trusted the shoe. The only down side for me was cushioning. I wore insoles recommended by the foot doctor but they were for support more than comfort. On certain stoney terrain I would have preferred a deeper sole. Hope to have been of some help for you. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, I really like the Speedgoat But they wanted me to get A Keen and it doesn't fit me right

DO NOT GET THE KEEEN'S You know they don't fit and you don't like how they feel. I would advise not using that store given their lack of knowledge and the inappropriate focus on the Keen. I would order online, if there are no other stores convenient to you. I can recommend some good online vendors with great return policies. Give me a PM if you want additional info.

Now, Keen makes a good shoe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Keen as footwear. The problem is that your preferences and needs are seemingly being ignored.

You like the Speedgoat, the Speedgoat is a good shoe and is a great choice for trekking and backpacking for those who like them. The Speedgoat will also work well for Camino. They fit and feel good, and THAT is a most important factor.

Last year, like many others, I made the switch from Keen boots to Altra Trail Runners, specifically the Timp. I like the cushioning and I switch out the insole for one by Powerstep which gives me arch and metatarsal support. This is just one of a number of suitable options. Really knowledgable footwear sales people who won't push something on you are rare though I did find a great one at Midwestern Mountaineering in Minneapolis.
Thanks

I walked the CF in inov8 trail talon 290. Really light weight. The breathable upper mesh was a blessing when my feet were swollen and re-lacing gave extra expansion when at their worst. I walked 3 days in heavy rain and never had a problem with soaking feet. I didn't have time to break them in at home as I had problems finding the right shoes long before I left. It took 2 weeks on the walk for them to become moulded. I went a size up from my usual trainer although I would go a size and a half next time maybe two. The grip was very good, hiking up or down hill, in wet weather I trusted the shoe. The only down side for me was cushioning. I wore insoles recommended by the foot doctor but they were for support more than comfort. On certain stoney terrain I would have preferred a deeper sole. Hope to have been of some help for you. Buen Camino
Thanks. You were a help

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So far, I preferred Meindl hiking shoes (Nebraska or Ontario), but I bought Salomon Speedcross Vario 2 this time. This shoe is for mixed terrain. So I expect that the soles will not suffer too much from occasional street walking, whereas the soles of the speedcross 4 are reported to wear soon when walking on asphalt. I have already used it for various walks at home and felt completely comfortable at any time.

Make sure you buy the shoes big enough. There should be 1-1 1/2 cm space left in front of your toes.

BC
Alexandra

So far, I preferred Meindl hiking shoes (Nebraska or Ontario), but I bought Salomon Speedcross Vario 2 this time. This shoe is for mixed terrain. So I expect that the soles will not suffer too much from occasional street walking, whereas the soles of the speedcross 4 are reported to wear soon when walking on asphalt. I have already used it for various walks at home and felt completely comfortable at any time.

Make sure you buy the shoes big enough. There should be 1-1 1/2 cm space left in front of your toes.

BC
Alexandra
Thank you

DO NOT GET THE KEEEN'S You know they don't fit and you don't like how they feel. I would advise not using that store given their lack of knowledge and the inappropriate focus on the Keen. I would order online, if there are no other stores convenient to you. I can recommend some good online vendors with great return policies. Give me a PM if you want additional info.

Now, Keen makes a good shoe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Keen as footwear. The problem is that your preferences and needs are seemingly being ignored.

You like the Speedgoat, the Speedgoat is a good shoe and is a great choice for trekking and backpacking for those who like them. The Speedgoat will also work well for Camino. They fit and feel good, and THAT is a most important factor.
I couldn't agree more with Mr. Bugg. Nothing is more important or more personal than your shoes. Before my first camino I went to the Outdoor Store in my town, Ashland, Oregon which is on the Pacific Crest Trail. Ashland is also a very active and generally fit town. This store has an excellent reputation. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable (the opposite of your experience). They recommended very highly a Merrill hiking shoe. It felt comfortable in the store and I bought it. Within two weeks of walking and training I had big blisters on both feet. While they healed I walked around in an old pair of sneakers from Costco.
I was walking with a friend after I resumed my training (still in my Costco sneakers that were on life support) and told my friend, a marathon runner, that I was really worried about what to wear. We did an about face and walked to the running store which at the time was owned by one of the top ultra marathoners in the world. I would see lunatics running full speed down Mt. Ashland, through the woods every once in a while and found out that day that Ashland was a haven for Ultra Marathon training. I digress. As soon as my friend uttered the word Camino, the owner and the two other employees all pointed to the Brooks Cascadia and said thats what you should be wearing. I bought a pair and as I start my fifth Camino soon, they are still on my feet. (Not the originals of course)!!! Listen to the Bugg man and wear what is right for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I had good luck walking the Camino Frances with Northface trail shoes. Just remember to buy at least a size larger as your feet will swell and your toes will need more room!

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Bugg. Nothing is more important or more personal than your shoes. Before my first camino I went to the Outdoor Store in my town, Ashland, Oregon which is on the Pacific Crest Trail. Ashland is also a very active and generally fit town. This store has an excellent reputation. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable (the opposite of your experience). They recommended very highly a Merrill hiking shoe. It felt comfortable in the store and I bought it. Within two weeks of walking and training I had big blisters on both feet. While they healed I walked around in an old pair of sneakers from Costco.
I was walking with a friend after I resumed my training (still in my Costco sneakers that were on life support) and told my friend, a marathon runner, that I was really worried about what to wear. We did an about face and walked to the running store which at the time was owned by one of the top ultra marathoners in the world. I would see lunatics running full speed down Mt. Ashland, through the woods every once in a while and found out that day that Ashland was a haven for Ultra Marathon training. I digress. As soon as my friend uttered the word Camino, the owner and the two other employees all pointed to the Brooks Cascadia and said thats what you should be wearing. I bought a pair and as I start my fifth Camino soon, they are still on my feet. (Not the originals of course)!!! Listen to the Bugg man and wear what is right for you.
Thanks for your informative reply. Yes Me Dave is awesome.

I did not realize that Brooks made trail runners. I walk in the Ghost on pavement and love it.
Unfortunately, the stores near me are more geared to biking, kayaking and some camping. The salespeople are just doing what they are taught. Here if you say Camino, they insist on boots that you would do the AT in, possibly. Great boots but overkill on the Camino
Thanks, again

you are right about that it is overkill. Are you near a good running store? I went to an outdoor store with a friend of mine who was convinced by the sales lady to buy boots. I told him and her that she has never walked a camino, doesnt know anything about it and hasn't asked you one question about my friend's feet or walking history or anything. So how can she guide him properly. He listened to her and not me and within 2 days on the Camino he had blisters in his ears from those boots.hahah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One size bigger, Mid-cut, breathable, waterproof Boots IMHO are good for me because it is for all kinds of terrain and all kinds of weather. I have proven them in all of my 3 caminos. Thank God, I didnt get blisters. I have encountered quite a few pilgrims whose shoes did not survive half of CF. Of course, I am not sure how long they had their shoes with them. Also, in my personal observation, when I get to Albergues for every 20 pair of boots, there’s a pair of trail running shoes which is usually the most worn out. If theres a lot of rain then most likely one’s feet will be soaked and I believe could be a source of irritation on the skin. Yet at the end of the day, this is a personal choice and I believe one’s choice of shoes will determine how far one can travel in the camino. Buen Camino

you are right about that it is overkill. Are you near a good running store? I went to an outdoor store with a friend of mine who was convinced by the sales lady to buy boots. I told him and her that she has never walked a camino, doesnt know anything about it and hasn't asked you one question about my friend's feet or walking history or anything. So how can she guide him properly. He listened to her and not me and within 2 days on the Camino he had blisters in his ears from those boots.hahah
Yes there are lots of running stores I was fitted by in that does the 3D imaging in your feet and the results were what I knew that felt good on my feet anyway
However, they only carry 2 trail runners. You can order others, if you like.

Many responses but I’ll tell you- after several attempts with other brands I settled on Merrill trail shoes (can’t remember the technical name)
Light, good cushion, waterproof.

I agree about sizing up. I went up a whole size.

Good luck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many responses but I’ll tell you- after several attempts with other brands I settled on Merrill trail shoes (can’t remember the technical name)

Good luck
See you have just confirmed how personal shoes or runners are. You loved your Merrill's and I wanted to burn mine a week after starting my training in them!!!!!!! Then I got my Brooks and I was in heaven. Buen Camino LynneR

Good luck
Thanks for replying

One size bigger, Mid-cut, breathable, waterproof Boots IMHO are good for me because it is for all kinds of terrain and all kinds of weather. I have proven them in all of my 3 caminos. Thank God, I didnt get blisters. I have encountered quite a few pilgrims whose shoes did not survive half of CF. Of course, I am not sure how long they had their shoes with them. Also, in my personal observation, when I get to Albergues for every 20 pair of boots, there’s a pair of trail running shoes which is usually the most worn out. If theres a lot of rain then most likely one’s feet will be soaked and I believe could be a source of irritation on the skin. Yet at the end of the day, this is a personal choice and I believe one’s choice of shoes will determine how far one can travel in the camino. Buen Camino
Thank you for the information and replying

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love my AHNU Sugar Pine. They are now sold under the Teva brand. REI carries them as does Amazon. I have done over 500 miles and they are still going strong. A great fit if you like a wider trail shoe.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy a pair of shoes that don't feel good on your feet. Whichever shop it was tried to sell them to you when you said they didn't fit should be shut down.

Unfortunately shoes can be difficult. I have small size hobbit feet and currently I can't find a single pair that I can wear. I wore Innov8 Roclites for a couple of years, then late last year I went to buy another pair only to find that they had changed their last and what used to be a super wide design is now too narrow to get my feet into let alone walk in them. The moral of that story is that if you find a perfect pair, go back and buy 3 more and put them in storage because they will sure as heck mess about with the design.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my AHNU Sugar Pine. They are now sold under the Teva brand. REI carries them as does Amazon. I have done over 500 miles and they are still going strong. A great fit if you like a wider trail shoe.
Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know if the soles are good for gravel and rocks
You will be walking on all types of surfaces, and probably no one pair of shoes will be ideal for every surface. What worries you about the sole of the Ghost, for gravel and rock? That it would wear out? That it would be slippery? That it would not be cushioned enough?

I have been on the camino for at least several hundred km, six times, and the sole of the Ghost 11 does not concern me. Comfort and fit are the key factors.

I need lots of space for my toes, so I bought my Altra Lone Peak 4 and I am loving them, wide toebox and feels like walking on air. Come August/September on various camino routes I will walk without corns between my toes, happy days !!!

I need lots of space for my toes, so I bought my Altra Lone Peak 4 and I am loving them, wide toebox and feels like walking on air. Come August/September on various camino routes I will walk without corns between my toes, happy days !!!

That has been my experience, too. I’ve been walking Caminos for almost 20 years now and had gone from hiking boot to hiking shoe but for about 5 years I got awful corns between my toes. Then last year, I decided to try again. I got lots of good advice here and went with Altras LonePeaks because they were reported to have the widest toe box of any shoe. The no-drop feature was not an issue for me, though it is for some. But the unexpected tremendous benefit was the cushioning. It’s just fabulous. After 1000 km last year on Mozárabe and Vdlp, not one corn and the cushioning meant my feet never ached at all!!! Not even after 40 + km days. Happy Peregrina.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks

You will be walking on all types of surfaces, and probably no one pair of shoes will be ideal for every surface. What worries you about the sole of the Ghost, for gravel and rock? That it would wear out? That it would be slippery? That it would not be cushioned enough?

I have been on the camino for at least several hundred km, six times, and the sole of the Ghost 11 does not concern me. Comfort and fit are the key factors.
Slippery would be my concern.

S
Slippery would be my concern.
The tread on your shoes won"t help much with slipping on gravel. You have the Ghost now, so find some paths of different surfaces and test them! Test another pair you might have, to understand how they differ.

Again - no one pair of shoes will be perfect for every condition.

S
The tread on your shoes won"t help much with slipping on gravel. You have the Ghost now, so find some paths of different surfaces and test them! Test another pair you might have, to understand how they differ.

Again - no one pair of shoes will be perfect for every condition.
Thanks

I generally use Altras for thru hiking and last year used the Altra Lone Peak on the Primitivo. It was good, but had some slight issues after being wet for extended periods of time. The Olympus is great and has cushion much like a Hoka. This year I will be using the Hoka Challenger. I also love the Speedgoat, but for a Camino, the toe is too restrictive for me. The Challenger has more toe room and a bit more cushion but slightly less stability, which isn’t a huge issue for myself. Any of these will hold up well for at least a full Camino.

I generally use Altras for thru hiking and last year used the Altra Lone Peak on the Primitivo. It was good, but had some slight issues after being wet for extended periods of time. The Olympus is great and has cushion much like a Hoka. This year I will be using the Hoka Challenger. I also love the Speedgoat, but for a Camino, the toe is too restrictive for me. The Challenger has more toe room and a bit more cushion but slightly less stability, which isn’t a huge issue for myself. Any of these will hold up well for at least a full Camino.
Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My choice INOV8 Great off road shoe, comfortable, flexible, durable, great tread for slippy surfaces. I have used them twice ie two Caminos. They are a great fit for my wide feet, and I like to spread my toes. Water drains out quickly.

My choice INOV8 Great off road shoe, comfortable, flexible, durable, great tread for slippy surfaces. I have used them twice ie two Caminos. They are a great fit for my wide feet, and I like to spread my toes. Water drains out quickly.
Thank you. Haven't seen those

I have hiked the Portugués Camino & the Camino Frances with Oboz trailrunners and superfeet inserts. Both times my shoes were a success, No blisters or feet troubles. I also carefully choose my socks & used two sock layers unless my feet got too hot at the end of the day. This shoe worked miracles for me as I have a history with planter fasciitis.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Camino in 2016 wearing Saucony Peregrine 5's. I had two pairs (and some flip flops), mainly because they aren't waterproof and I wanted a back up pair, so I switched them every day. They are quite light but my hubby carried them (an extra pound) so that was nice. :) Anyway, they have great traction and fit wide feet so I would recommend them if that suits you. I now have the newer versions, 8's I think?, and they are sturdier so I think I will wear them next time as well. Saucony also makes the same shoes in Gortex but I found them uncomfortable and didn't really want waterproof shoes anyway.

That has been my experience, too. I’ve been walking Caminos for almost 20 years now and had gone from hiking boot to hiking shoe but for about 5 years I got awful corns between my toes. Then last year, I decided to try again. I got lots of good advice here and went with Altras LonePeaks because they were reported to have the widest toe box of any shoe. The no-drop feature was not an issue for me, though it is for some. But the unexpected tremendous benefit was the cushioning. It’s just fabulous. After 1000 km last year on Mozárabe and Vdlp, not one corn and the cushioning meant my feet never ached at all!!! Not even after 40 + km days. Happy Peregrina.
Loved my Lone Peak Altras, and this year am trying another Altra model. I would say they have wide toe boxes , but even so I went to a men’s shoe instead of a women’s just to get even more space.

I haven’t had a blister since I ditched my boots for a pair of Merrell walking shoes.
They have to feel like carpet slippers from the first try on.
Re Keens! My Keen’s walking shoe lasted 100 k in the VDLP. Bottom fell off one on a muddy vineyard track! Hah!!

My trail runners of choice are ASICS Sonoma 3 Goretex. I’ve walked many thousands of miles in them (most recently, Caminos Portuguese and Catalan, as well as long distance walks in the UK.). Comfortable, long-lasting, lightweight and affordable. No blisters, no bruises, no problems. Key advice: always buy a size larger than your normal fit, to accommodate thicker walking socks, and to allow your feet to swell as you walk.

Oboz...low cut, non-waterproof, great tread, great padding, dry quickly, breathable, roomy toe box, Had Oboz Sawtooth for walking Italy, Oboz Luna for Portugal. Will be wearing Oboz Luna on the Camino Ingles this Sept. ( I've previously worn Merrill, Keen, Ahnu, Altras.....Oboz has my heart and my feet from now on ! )

I went with Oboz for my very first Camino and only had about 2 weeks (at most) to break them in. They were amazing and I did not get one blister or have any problems whatsoever. I was amazed as my travelling buddy had the worst time with her Keen shoes. Her blisters got blisters. Not saying Keen is not a good shoe, it is. However, you have to get what works best for you. BTW, I went with a size up.
Oboz...low cut, non-waterproof, great tread, great padding, dry quickly, breathable, roomy toe box, Had Oboz Sawtooth for walking Italy, Oboz Luna for Portugal. Will be wearing Oboz Luna on the Camino Ingles this Sept. ( I've previously worn Merrill, Keen, Ahnu, Altras.....Oboz has my heart and my feet from now on ! )

Mine, too. My Oboz were amazing. After only 2 weeks to break them in, I walked my first camino without any problems whatsoever (a little tired feet, but come on we're walking 500 miles). No blisters, slips, etc.

I have hiked the Portugués Camino & the Camino Frances with Oboz trailrunners and superfeet inserts. Both times my shoes were a success, No blisters or feet troubles. I also carefully choose my socks & used two sock layers unless my feet got too hot at the end of the day. This shoe worked miracles for me as I have a history with planter fasciitis.
Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mine, too. My Oboz were amazing. After only 2 weeks to break them in, I walked my first camino without any problems whatsoever (a little tired feet, but come on we're walking 500 miles). No blisters, slips, etc.
Thanks for replying. I will check them out

I went with Oboz for my very first Camino and only had about 2 weeks (at most) to break them in. They were amazing and I did not get one blister or have any problems whatsoever. I was amazed as my travelling buddy had the worst time with her Keen shoes. Her blisters got blisters. Not saying Keen is not a good shoe, it is. However, you have to get what works best for you. BTW, I went with a size up.
Thank you. Good to know

Thank you. I will try a pair and see

My trail runners of choice are ASICS Sonoma 3 Goretex. I’ve walked many thousands of miles in them (most recently, Caminos Portuguese and Catalan, as well as long distance walks in the UK.). Comfortable, long-lasting, lightweight and affordable. No blisters, no bruises, no problems. Key advice: always buy a size larger than your normal fit, to accommodate thicker walking socks, and to allow your feet to swell as you walk.
Thank you for the in
Thank you. I have always liked Asics as they have great arch support

I walked the Camino in 2016 wearing Saucony Peregrine 5's. I had two pairs (and some flip flops), mainly because they aren't waterproof and I wanted a back up pair, so I switched them every day. They are quite light but my hubby carried them (an extra pound) so that was nice. :) Anyway, they have great traction and fit wide feet so I would recommend them if that suits you. I now have the newer versions, 8's I think?, and they are sturdier so I think I will wear them next time as well. Saucony also makes the same shoes in Gortex but I found them uncomfortable and didn't really want waterproof shoes anyway.
Thank you

I got Keen's and the sole came off after 150 km. Useless. I bought Grisport and the sole wore off after 100 km and I sloshed around in water. Adidas hiking shoes are hard under foot, otherwise good. Just wore out Lowa boots after 1200 km, they were a wobbly and smelly mess. Best wear and comfort so far, I got out of Meindl A/B boots. It is like having to replace tyres! And different trails demand different kind of footwear and your feet change over time.... I have walked more than 16 caminos and am non the wiser!

I wore brooks ghost 9s trail shoes with gorged not one blister

I have purchased Merral Aero Womens and are proving to be very good. Great support, very comfortable. Just wearing them in for our Camino start in October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've walked all my caminos on Keen boots or watershoes - almost 3000kms - and no soles have dropped off. I continue to be very happy with whichever Keens I've had.

But if they don't fit your feet @Nana6 , don't get them. Especially of some sales person is pressuring you!
We will all tell you about our favorite shoe, but your feet are your feet, not ours. So try many on, and if you like a shoe get it.
If you like Asics, try some models and see what your feet say.
Or take some walks over varied terrain in those Ghosts that you already have, and like.

Thanks for your informative reply. Yes Me Dave is awesome.
Here if you say Camino, they insist on boots that you would do the AT in, possibly. Great boots but overkill on the Camino.

One of the many things I have learned from the awesome Mr. Dave is that on the Appalachian Trail, trail runners are the overwhelming shoe of choice. That tells me that anyone working in an outdoor store who keeps pushing people to boots for ANY trail is out of sync with the reality on the ground.

Not intending to start a fight with those who love their boots. But for those of us who were new to long distance walking when we started the Camino, if someone tells us boots, we go boots. And that, for many of us, is the wrong choice.

Buen camino, Laurie (camino walker since 2000, happy trail runner camino walker since 2017 — clearly a slow learner)

I agree 100% with Laurie. And looking at that survey in her post, Atra Lone Peaks seem to be the shoe of choice on the AT. When you click the links you find that... ❗News Flash ❗they (and the very cool-looking Oboz Sawtooth) are on sale right now at REI.

One of the many things I have learned from the awesome Mr. Dave is that on the Appalachian Trail, trail runners are the overwhelming shoe of choice. That tells me that anyone working in an outdoor store who keeps pushing people to boots for ANY trail is out of sync with the reality on the ground.

Not intending to start a fight with those who love their boots. But for those of us who were new to long distance walking when we started the Camino, if someone tells us boots, we go boots. And that, for many of us, is the wrong choice.

Buen camino, Laurie (camino walker since 2000, happy trail runner camino walker since 2017 — clearly a slow learner)

In my personal shopping experiences for shoes, I think the sales people are trained to believe boots are better for long hikes .When I have asked, why?
The responses are better support, more durable, necessary for carrying a backpack and better traction. The word, "CAMINO" sends them scurrying to the boot section. However, out of the six different stores I have shopped, not one employee had walked the Camino.

I personally like boots and have 2 pair.
But, it is my preference to walk in shoes at this time. Each of us have different feet and must find what is most comfortable for our feet.
My feet at present are engaged in a vendetta against me and all footwear.😀
I am grateful for this forum and all the help available here. Especially, davebugg on equipment!

Hi! MN girl here, preparing for my first Camino in September. I'd love more information about the knowledgeable person at Midwestern Mountaineering! Do you remember a name?

I love Nike’s so I picked up these: Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 5 to try out.... my last Camino I wore Merrell hiking shoes but found them too heavy....my new Nike’s are very light and comfy, they are a trail running shoe

Attachments

• 83DC52F8-5808-4A13-8424-22C86BD9EAB4.jpeg
    83DC52F8-5808-4A13-8424-22C86BD9EAB4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trail runners:
Inov8
TOPO Athletics
Altra
Brooks
New Balance-Lone Peaks
Keen
And others. I stay away from waterproof/gortex
This is just a small sample of some high quality shoes.

€83,-
I have not read what all the other members have said, but I wore anclehigh Hokas on the Invierno in 2018 and loved them. Since then I have used them at home and I also have a pair of Hoka speed goat that I have used for “mountainclimbing” in the sierras around Alfaz del Pi for a couple of years and still love them.

I have the Speedgoat 2's and they have lasted me well over 1000 KMs so far and I usually use them as my trail shoe, often in rain.

I did my first Camino just in Asics and plan to do this coming one the same.

I think Hoka Speedgoats would be a fine choice. You will want to wear them in for 50-60 KMs before yous start so your feet are used to them but thy are quite comfy over distance.

The other thing to remember is that your feet will expand, for sure, after a few days so you will likely want a size up.

I had this happen in Scotland with some Hoka Challengers. The shoes were very comfy until my feet expanded and 3 days in there was severe pinching.

I have the Speedgoat 2's and they have lasted me well over 1000 KMs so far and I usually use them as my trail shoe, often in rain.

I did my first Camino just in Asics and plan to do this coming one the same.

I think Hoka Speedgoats would be a fine choice. You will want to wear them in for 50-60 KMs before yous start so your feet are used to them but thy are quite comfy over distance.

The other thing to remember is that your feet will expand, for sure, after a few days so you will likely want a size up.

I had this happen in Scotland with some Hoka Challengers. The shoes were very comfy until my feet expanded and 3 days in there was severe pinching.
Thank you.
I have the Speedgoat 3. I love them. I haven't walked long distances in them but bought them a half size larger.
I also use the ASICS Kahana trail runner.

Thank you.
I have the Speedgoat 3. I love them. I haven't walked long distances in them but bought them a half size larger.
I also use the ASICS Kahana trail runner.

I think you should be great then! One thing I watch out for now (from the Scotland experience) is strong material around the toe box (around the toes). I'm not a big fan of this as I prefer moes toes to expand into material or mesh that is soft instead of restricting, hard material.

The Camino is mostly on roads and paths so, for me, I don't see any need for boots and the like.

I think you should be great then! One thing I watch out for now (from the Scotland experience) is strong material around the toe box (around the toes). I'm not a big fan of this as I prefer moes toes to expand into material or mesh that is soft instead of restricting, hard material.

The Camino is mostly on roads and paths so, for me, I don't see any need for boots and the like.
Thank You for the input.
I just completed a hike in the mountains that went very well but I have not hiked back to back days- YET!
Remains to be seen how my feet do.
So far so good.☺️

I have not read what all the other members have said, but I wore anclehigh Hokas on the Invierno in 2018 and loved them. Since then I have used them at home and I also have a pair of Hoka speed goat that I have used for “mountainclimbing” in the sierras around Alfaz del Pi for a couple of years and still love them.
Which ankle high Hokas are you using?

Whatever you get, definitely take an extra insole, or expect to buy one about half way. Makes a huge difference.

I love Nike’s so I picked up these: Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 5 to try out.... my last Camino I wore Merrell hiking shoes but found them too heavy....my new Nike’s are very light and comfy, they are a trail running shoe

I love my Terra Kigers! What was your experience with them? Did you have an problems with rough ground?

I am about to embark on my 9th Camino (all different ones) and I always wear ASICS Gel Sonoma trail runners. One pair took me on a 1000 mile (1600Km) Camino from Almeria to El Ferrol (Camino Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, Sanabres and Ingles). I know that makes me 'stuck' to a particular brand, but if they have been so amazing for the past 7 years, why would I even think of considering something different?

If you have a hiking shoe or boot you like, but want to switch to a trail runner, I’ve been told that the best strategy is to start by trying out the trail runner made by the brand you love. The odds are high that you will like it, at least that’s what the guys in my running shoe store tell me. And since trail runners are now so very popular among long distance and day hikers as well, most if not all of the major brands have a trail runner shoe.

p.s. this is an old thread, just fyi.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.