• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women and the need to relieve oneself along the trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipello

Time of past OR future Camino
Greetings!
My husband and I are planning our walk starting from Burgos at the end of April. I am thinking about the situation where I have lots of liquid going in and consequently, lots coming out. Some have advised a certain device that would enable women to urinate more conveniently and more discreetly (like a man) along the trail. Who has had experience with this. I know it's a rather private topic but, we also know that this walk is like none other!!

Thank you.

Marilyn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/
Check out this website. I think it might be what you are looking for!! However, you may find a stack of hay (to hide behind) and a roll of TP to be equally effective! :lol: oh, in Canada you can buy this at MEC.

Honestly, this is one of the challenges of the Camino.
Having tried several of these female urination devices, I've decided the easiest solution is to wear a HIKING SKIRT instead of or over leggings.

The best device I've used is one of hard pink plastic. The name escapes me at the moment. I've tried two of the softer ones and managed to pee all down my leg. It's just not worth the frustration. Easier to squat and go under the privacy of a skirt.

That said, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not leave toilet paper along the Camino.
Carry a plastic bag and take the paper out to be disposed at the next trash basket.
It's just one of my HUGE pet peeves to see the mess that WOMEN make along The Way.
Somewhere, I've posted photos.. and they're not pretty :( :cry: :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've never had to go along the trail but I stopped in every bar I crossed and took the opportunity to use the restroom. Make sure you buy a coffee, orange juice or bocadillo or something before you do; toilet paper and water costs a lot in Europe

I had the same fear and brought one of these 'woman devices' for peeing discretely – but never used it once.

My strategy was: look for a bush, tree or whatever – you will likely know about your need about half an hour before catastrophe kicks in! – so you will have time …

Then: Look backwards – how soon will the next pilgrims come up? – Are you just around a bend?

I never worried about pilgrims in front of me. They never looked back (smiley).

Am in total agreement with previous posters – have a plastic bag around you to take your toilet paper out with you. – And use opportunities along the way to visit restrooms – a coffee or a softdrink will also always revive you.

I have used a 'shewee'. It is a small white funnel made of hard white plastic with a surface that liquids do not adhere to. It enables a female to urinate whilst standing upright. Very handy on the Camino!!

The main problem with using it is that fluids always flow downhill and if the zip on your trousers is only six inches long the funnel will be pointing upwards!!

To overcome this problem you have to replace the six inch zip with a 13 inch zip so that it reaches down to the inner leg seam of your trousers. If you do this you do not even have to open the button on the waist line.

However you do have to position the 'she wee' correctly and also hold your legs very tight together.

We females have been conditioned since we were toddlers that you cannot pee in this position so you have to re-educate yourself by practising in your own bathroom.

I have folded a handkerchief diagonally and sewn two sides together and this forms a little triangular pocket in which i keep the sheewee. I use it to dry myself and wash it each evening, so no paper to dispose of.

Make sure to buy a fine nylon zip with a colour matching your trousers. Do not get a chunky plastic or metal zip. If you are not good at sewing you could leave the original zip in place and insert a 7 or 8 inch zip in the seam below it. I have not tried this but I image it could work ok

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino next year, and as such, I can only offer my non-Camino hiking advice for women. It has been my experience while hiking that although I drink A LOT of water, my need to urinate is far less than what I would consider "normal" for me. I believe that this can be attributed to perspiration. I think that there are far greater things to worry about than where to pee. It seems like some device that enables women to pee like a man is a market ploy to spend money on something that isn't really needed while having the added benefit of extra weight in one's pack. Blessings ~ Tammi

I too have done a bit of long distance hiking in arid,desert environments and find i urinate less however, in the hotter months staying well hydrated is vital and being able to pee shows good hydration - key for muscles.

Here is the link to the shewee extreme which comes with extended tubing In the nato green, it blends most hiking pants. A couple ounces extra weight does not over rule the ability to discretely relieve myself without removing my pack, my pants and perhaps my pride! LOL!

Best price is from original company...Amazon charges more even with free shipping and my shipping was free with Shewee.

http://www.shewee.com/products/Shewee-Extreme.html

Buen Camino!

I have the worlds weekest bladder and was always on the lookout for a bush when the bars were far between...

the problems were greatest on the meseta

I know some may be more *what's the word* than me, but while I found it annoying sometimes, not having a totally private place to go, we are still on the Camino and its all nature, so I wasn't really all that fussed. I mean if you gotta go you gotta go, and nobody was staring like or anything :D

anyways the peewee will not take care of your biggest problems :wink:

anyways, I will give you a bit of most important Camino wisdom:

There's never a bush when you need one !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hahaha! It was the sheewee that caused me to pee down my leg.
I guess I didn't practice enough.
I also tried the "Go-girl" with no luck.

I actually DID like the Freshette. http://www.rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director

It's hard plastic with a tube, and I used it successfully.
Funny thing, last time I walked from Sarria, I found one someone had tossed on the trail.
It was brand new, still in packaging.
I took it along, sanitized it, and will carry it on the VDLP "just in case."
Maybe because it is hard plastic, there is less liklihood of it bending and not holding tight enough against the body.. I don't know.. but this one WAS good for me and required no sewing an extra zipper. I used it in public restrooms in Europe also.. where the seats were questionable.

Larazet said:
Am still practising with my Gee Whizz! Only 37 days left to excel!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Larazet!
I needed that laugh!

Maybe you will get so good you can teach a workshop! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marilyn,
This is a particular issue from Burgos on as you're heading over the meseta where cover is....well isn't! The walls are too low and the ditches too shallow. I also found that distances can be deceptive there and a pilgrim who 'looks' as if they are a good 5 minutes away can miraculously shave 3 minutes off that E.T.A and catch one unawares.
Remember "whats natural can't be wondered at" and if someone does unexpectedly come 'alongside' then Camino etiquette dictates that it's up to them to study the magnificent skyscapes on view in the opposite direction of your position.
One of my Camino lessons was 'Pull up in haste repent at leisure' :oops: .... so for goodness sake take your time, finish the activity and tidy up otherwise you'll be 'hitching and fixing' your nethers and/or may need to stop and give another repeat performance 10 minutes down the road.

Anniesantiago said:
Hahaha! It was the sheewee that caused me to pee down my leg.
I guess I didn't practice enough.
./quote]

Anniesantiago,

Hilarious! This shewee is new for me too - all my long distance hikes have been in the backcountry, primitive and unobserved! The Shewee website says to practice in the shower so i imagine i will be doing just that to avoid peeing down my leg!

Pieces said:
anyways the peewee will not take care of your biggest problems :wink:

anyways, I will give you a bit of most important Camino wisdom:

There's never a bush when you need one !

I can also relate to this and will have that issue when i walk as well :-/

Obviously I can't give personal input, but my daughter says that she uses a Shewee without any problems when attending concert weekends.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Remember to remove your backpack when you go to pee. We met a lady last year who went into the woods to pee but did not remove her pack, she overbalanced and fell back mid stream, the results were not to be recommended but she had us in stitches with the story. :D :D

Anniesantiago said:
That said, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not leave toilet paper along the Camino.
:cry: :oops:

The Camino is easy to find, follow the yellow arrows and if in doubt follow the paper trail, those volunteers that clean the Camino once a year should get medals, if there is a bush there is paper, disgusting paper.

I have overlooked this thread because it did not have any relevance for me, but being a bit bored tonight I decided to have a read, it was an education.

wayfarer said:
Remember to remove your backpack when you go to pee. We met a lady last year who went into the woods to pee but did not remove her pack, she overbalanced and fell back mid stream, the results were not to be recommended but she had us in stitches with the story. :D :D

Actually, and this is the only place I can think of where I can boast about this particular skill, I have learned to pee with a full pack on-may need to loosen the waist band a little if it's bulky. If you are a bit wobbly support yourself by bracing your pack (with you attached) up against a tree trunk/wall (even well known & tolerant walking partner/fellow pilgrim can serve) The technique saves a lot of time and in very snowy/cold/wet conditions that is pretty handy

But I'm a shewee failure. I tried it with the regular attachement-disaster, I tried it again with longer hose :shock:thank God I was in the shower. I declined my husbands offers-shouted through the bathroom door- to either attach the device to our garden hose or give me a 'Masterclass' :evil:

Reactions: MTC
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don´t worry about having to have a pee on the camino and don´t spend money on a Shewee. Just go a little way off the trail and face the trail. All anyone can see (if they are even bothered to look) is someone crouching down. Your clothing (from the front view) will cover anything that you may be embarrassed to show and you are soon zipped up and moving again.

From the male point of view. If I see a lady crouching I choose to cross the road or stop until they are stood and walking. Its just good manners towards those who are shy.

A Canadian lady pilgrim told me in 2004 that she was writing a little book of things to do or not and had written Never Squat With a Rucksack on Your Back.

Secondly, in November 2012 I came upon a pilgrim who had popped into the trees to poo. When he came out his rucksack had been stolen by a passing car driver. It turned out that a local had seen the car from well behind and I had seen the car as it passed me by. We both agreed it was silver and that was about it. Oh, yes, the driver was male.

Moral of the story ladies. Take your rucksack off but don't leave it on the roadside.

Toilet Roll. Bag it in, Bag it out.

I agree with jaws. Don't waste your money. Just squat behind a bush.

And consider a hiking skirt instead of a sheewee! One of my walkers wore a hiking skirt over leggings every day on the Camino last year. She had absolutely no problems at all when it came to potty time. I thought it was brilliant.

This year I"m actually taking two skirts, one short and one a bit longer. Both are nylon and dry quickly. I tend to get cold more than I get hot, and I've learned that a skirt traps the heat much better and keeps my legs warmer. So I'll report back but I think I'm liking this hiking skirt idea more and more. Plus they're a heck of lot lighter to carry than the pants with the zip off legs.

And thank you Methodist, for your good manners.

I did see one lady squat RIGHT by the side of the trail while walking from Orisson to Roncesvalles last year. We were still on the road to the peak, and at first I thought she was looking for something, because she was right out in the open. But once I figured it out, I was too close to do anything but avert my eyes and keep walking. I think for the sake of your fellow pilgrims, it would be nice to at least TRY to go of the trail a bit. :oops:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sarong which will double as pillowslip/curtain/bathrobe would be useful? May forget the gee whizz!.....

I am an expert on this topic: US Army veteran, half-Camino veteran, and world's tiniest bladder. My husband and son take great delight in shouting, "Someone's coming!" at random intervals while I'm off-trail. Sometimes it's easier when they have walked ahead and I'm alone. You'll find a bush, but start looking early, and don't wait for "the perfect bush" - there isn't one. (And if there is, as someone above said, there will be piles of disgusting paper, ugh. Carry that tissue on to the next trash receptacle, please.)

I have often wondered about this topic of relieving the urge on the camino. So I thought I would try a poncho and hope it works. Grew up on an island so roughing it is not a problem if needed. Any comments from those who may have used the poncho is much appreciated. Btw, all the posts on this topic were hilarious. Lol!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
islandflygirl said:
I have often wondered about this topic of relieving the urge on the camino. So I thought I would try a poncho and hope it works. Grew up on an island so roughing it is not a problem if needed. Any comments from those who may have used the poncho is much appreciated. Btw, all the posts on this topic were hilarious. Lol!

On the Meseta (where there are long sections with not a 'shrub prive' anywhere and I do mean anywhere) I did consider the poncho/burqa option but unfortunately, as when purchasing I was thinking mountain safety rather than camouflage, my poncho was fluorescent green......It was pointed out that I would be easily spotted on Google earth not to mind from the track........

My theological thought on this is that not having the equipment our brothers are blessed with was one if the curses along with banishment from Eden.
My limited experience will add this to the comments: Skirts are wonderful; figure out which way the "stream" will be flowing;bag your TP in a paper bag stored in plastic -dispose of the paper bag. With regard to "equipment" - when passing kidney stones - I enjoy being a girl.

I was thinking mountain safety rather than camouflage, my poncho was fluorescent green......It was pointed out that I would be easily spotted on Google earth not to mind from the track........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I wore a skirt. It makes al fresco peeing really easy. It's even easier if you don't wear any knickers.

(Is it wrong that I'm proud of my ability to squat with the pack on? Do take it off before going into a loo, though, cos otherwise it bangs on the cistern.)

My top traveling toiletting tip: the mooncup. Much, much lighter than a box of tampons, and very much easier to deal with in areas with third-world plumbing. Happy to discuss in more detail by private message.

Here's a shout out to my dad and the Catholic sisters. On long trips Dad would only stop for gas and what needed to be done had to be done then and ONLY then; the good sisters put our toilet habits on a twice daily schedule. The result was bladders the size of a camel's and incredible skills in waiting.

Thanks Nellpilgrim for the camouflage tip. I will check Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse for camouflage poncho otherwise dark blue will have to do.

annelise said:
Then: Look backwards – how soon will the next pilgrims come up? – Are you just around a bend?
I used that strategy once, there was nowhere off the track so i waited till those close behind me passed, damn those bicycle pilgrims can surprise you, they were polite, they shouted " buen Camino " and continued on ;)

My Macabi Hiking Skirt arrived yesterday and I am SO in love with it already!
This skirt ROCKS!
It is nylon... dries in 2 hours... sturdy... lightweight... with HUGE pockets and one concealed pocket.
It has an elasticized waist as well as a drawstring (for when you lose weight walking the Camino!)
I bought one in an army green, and I'm getting ready to order a second one in brown.
I'm 5'3", weigh about 155 right now, and the Medium Regular length goes right below my knees and fits my waist fine.. . maybe a little snug, but I usually lose an inch the first week.

This will be great with wool or silk leggings or hiking capris under it in the cold weather and even better when the weather is HOT!

It's also nice enough to wear on the plane (where I always get cold) and into a church (respectfully).

It has a length of hooked fabric that you can hitch between the legs to make it into loose "pants" if you're rock scrambling... then two snaps on the side you can snap up if you're wading water or if it's really hot.

I'm just digging this skirt!
Spendy, but awesome.
If you're an extra small, they have some on sale right now.

Check them out!
http://www.macabiskirt.com/

I'm totally rethinking my packing list now...

Want one !!
Wonder if they do something similar in the UK ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not mentioned yet, -or maybe I missed it, along with your TP in a ziplock bag, consider a small bottle of hand sanitizer! If there is no water to wash your hand, at least you can sanitize them :)

Ultreia,

Mary

Be careful traveling with hand sanitizer. I was almost detained at a few years ago at Heathrow when my small bottle of hand sanitizer apparently changed a security swab into an unwanted color. They ended up swabbing EVERYTHING I had and confiscating the hand sanitizer. (Side note: DH was stopped, searched, and had duct tape and zip ties confiscated at Heathrow last year. He is still a bit peeved that DS and I left him there at security and went for breakfast.)

you should put hand sanitizer in the hold.

I carry a small bar of soap and water in my shoulder bag in case I need to wash my hands.

I still think it is more hygenic than sanitzer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hand sanitizer ( alcohol gel) , although convenient, will not kill Norovirus . So don't rely on it to protect you against everything! Soap and water is best for that :)

If you do want to carry hand sanitizer, you can easily purchase it in Spain.
Baby wipes are good too, for on the trail cleanup.

In doing a bit of research this is what I found out: When it comes to fighting bacteria, hand sanitizers work well if you can't get to a sink. Look for one with at least 60 percent alcohol. The key with a hand sanitizer is to use enough of it. Coat the front and back of your hands, getting them wet enough that they take at least 15 seconds to dry. But washing with any kind of soap is your best option. Soap not only does as well on bacteria as sanitizer, it gets more viruses too -- as long as you wash your hands for a full 20 seconds to really get the bugs off.
Had I not seen all of your information after my comment, I would remain thinking that the alcohol based sanitizers did better than soap. Thanks for the information! :D

Ultreia!

Mary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've been hiking with a friend who recommended the pStyle to me. I saw the ease that she used hers with so I went ahead and purchased one for the Camino. My first try using it was a success so I'll keep my comfy hiking pants and my pStyle for the trip. Though I really wish I had seen the Macabi skirt or I would have purchased one. As it is, I leave in less than a week so no time to play with new equipment/clothing now!

Francine, I never heard of the pStyle before! How hygienic is it? How do you intend to keep it sanitized? And, how will you store it? I am intrigued, to say the least! Any information on this device will be welcome :)

Ultreia!

Mary

I was hoping there would be an answer to that question, but no ... I have to say I like the look of the pStyle better than any of the others and have jumped in and bought it after reading reviews online. Maybe we should have a proper FUD comparison and review thread on this forum?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
'It happens to the best of us mate' These words of comfort helped my feelings of humiliation evaporate after 2 retired lady school teachers from New Zealand cheerily walked passed as after a bout of food poisoning I was lying on my side in the openness
of the meseta with projectile diarrhoea.... In fact this was one of my biggest pre-camino fears. Although I am not recommending that everybody gets into the same situation and I may seem crazy but the experience was one of many that contributed towards a fundamental shift in my being after doing the camino.

Here's a great book on the subject, very informative and perfect us "out on a long walk" types.

How to !@#$ in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art
. Written by Kathleen Meyer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0898156270/?tag=casaivar-21

Don't let the title throw you off, it's as practical as you can get :)

So...did you say we should bag up all others TP on the trail??? I always feel guilty leaving other's trash but eeewwww...lol
Other subject...skirts- I am going to make myself one or two, long and short(er) skirts, out of proper materials with drawstrings and/or elastic. I think it will make walking and relieving easier also. No shorts up your crack while walking either! :lol: And the longer on cooler days and in evenings. Working now on the longer one's slits...sides or back? Hmmm

Thanks and of course I will always take my own used TP with me... :wink:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
refindingmypurpose said:
So...did you say we should bag up all others TP on the trail??? I always feel guilty leaving other's trash but eeewwww...lol
Other subject...skirts- I am going to make myself one or two, long and short(er) skirts, out of proper materials with drawstrings and/or elastic. I think it will make walking and relieving easier also. No shorts up your crack while walking either! :lol: And the longer on cooler days and in evenings. Working now on the longer one's slits...sides or back? Hmmm

Thanks and of course I will always take my own used TP with me... :wink:
Don't use toilet paper for a wee. Wear a pad to catch the drips, change it when you reach a toilet. If all women did that there would not be a paper trail along the path.

TMI, but after 5 kids I expected to have lots of trouble needing to find spots for relief along the way;
I did, however, find that there were enough cafes, bars, etc along the way to take care of it.
Good luck

cheryl

As a guy, this is less an issue for me, but I would agree that generally, there are enough town and villages along the way that it shouldn't be a problem most of the time. I can only recall getting caught short twice, and those on consecutive days.

The first time was just after passing Sahagun. There is a typo in the Brierley guidebook, that lists the population as 170,000. As a result, I was being pickier than usual about where I stopped for a snack. Next thing I knew I was leaving town very confused as to where all the people lived and ate. I needed to go a little, but it was nothing that couldn't wait, and Calzada de Coto was just another 5 km or so up the road. When I got there, I couldn't see anywhere to stop that was open, so I kept moving. About another 2 km down the road, there was an elevated bridge that crossed a set of railway tracks. By that point, my bladder was growing rather insistent that I stop SOON and since there was nothing resembling cover close by, I just used the hill created by the elevated bridge for cover. There was no one near at all, but I did hurry, since I had no way of nothing when a train might come. :)

The next day, walking from Calzada de los Harmanillos, I was walking with a retired English woman. The first 12 km or so, there wasn't a single building or even a bush worthy of the name. When we finally encountered a barn, she went to one side and I went to the other. :)
As an aside, we didn't encounter a single pilgrim the entire day, as I recall. I guess most people stay on the senda.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I brought along one of those shewee thingys. I tended not to drink enough water so I was well into the meseta before going al fresco. And wouldn't you know it that's when the farmer comes driving by in his truck from the south and a male peregrino from the east. It felt like Grand Central. And then of course you can't go. It took me forever to try and use the shewee because I found I was intimidated by the darn thing. We find a way...

I carried TP, zip loc baggies, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer as my "toilet kit" in my backpack. However, there were enough cafes, etc. along the way that I never needed to use it. I ALWAYS took advantage of the "servicios" in the cafes, even if I had just used one an hour earlier. You never know when the next one will show up. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago.
Kathy

On the camino at the moment, infact nearly at the end. The best option is just to 'pop a squat' somewhere a little out of the way or just use one of the hundreds of bars along the way, good opportunity to take a short break and grab a coffee! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I recall how, on my second Camino, I encountered a group of five German student peregrinos, a woman and four men. The men were lined up, singing a cheerful hiking song, and facing away from their comrade, were providing a living modestry screen for her as she relieved herself. This seemed eminently practical.

Yes, this can be one of the trials of the camino. On the less travelled routes which I walk, there certainly aren't towns and bars often enough, and some of us don't have half an hour's warning, especially us slightly older pilgrims. Nor does all the sweating etc cut down on frequency of urination for many.

I had the same experience as Annie with the one soft plastic urinary device I tried. Couldn't get it to work nicely. If made of firm plastic it could work well. With practise.
Relieving myself was a big, often stressful, problem on camino, until I stopped drinking coffee (a diuretic :( ) and started walking in wide leg shorts. So much easier. I don't have to undo them, nor remove my backpack, much quicker, easier and more discreet. Has made a big, big difference!

Yes another camino lesson . . . to go when you've gotta go!

LOL! The hubs had more of a problem with this than I did. I could always wait until the next bar. Men have it easy though. Just pull over at the next tree.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A big old army poncho - even if folk are around they can't see who you are or what you are doing!
It doubles up -with a couple of nappy pins - as a shelter from sun or rain too.
Josie Dew (the intrepid world cyclist) suggested it - she pees beside her bike in the sure knowledge that passers-by think she is fixing her chain...

Francine, I never heard of the pStyle before! How hygienic is it? How do you intend to keep it sanitized? And, how will you store it? I am intrigued, to say the least! Any information on this device will be welcome :)

Ultreia!

Mary

My friend used a PStyle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AA2LDW/?tag=casaivar02-20 on her Camino and strongly recommended it - I bought one and was successful using it the first time. It is hard plastic trough, with smooth edges, so you can basically scrape (that doesn't sound comfortable, but it is) yourself off so you don't need TP. You shake it off hard and it is almost completely dry (wrap it in TP before putting it back if you would like). Store it in a little bag. You can wash it off when you get to a bathroom. So simple, I can't imagine using anything with a spout. My friend said it doesn't overflow like the other kinds.

Hmmm... I simply throw out my bugger (the length I need to do the job), do the thing, shake off, and go on... no problem. And no PAPER in the bushes.

On the serious side: When doing serious jobs, use a moist paper, like Cleenex, to wash/clean yourself during the day: I have seen some really bad pants at the end of the day due to lack of cleanliness... Put your things in a plastic bag during the day and dispose of it properly in your evening. Do not litter the Way with your personal leftovers, being it bottles or more personal stuff...

Last edited:
I stopped drinking coffee (a diuretic :( ) and started walking in wide leg shorts. So much easier. I don't have to undo them, nor remove my backpack, much quicker, easier and more discreet. Has made a big, big difference!

Another reason I love my Macabi skirt!

Greetings!
My husband and I are planning our walk starting from Burgos at the end of April. I am thinking about the situation where I have lots of liquid going in and consequently, lots coming out. Some have advised a certain device that would enable women to urinate more conveniently and more discreetly (like a man) along the trail. Who has had experience with this. I know it's a rather private topic but, we also know that this walk is like none other!!

Thank you.

Marilyn
Hi Marilyn,

First of all, great question! I'm walking in June and have been researching all sorts of unmentionable issues related to our gender. I bought a "Freshet" from REI. It's awesome. There are other brands, like the Shewiz, but I'm pretty sold on my device. It is so liberating. I keep one in my car because I have a hard time using public bathrooms when traveling. It takes a little practice. You can do this at home (just remember to put the seat back down). ha! The trickiest part is allowing yourself to release while standing up. It's very odd. And at the risk of being too graphic, the device has a squeegee like edge that eliminates the need for toilet tissue. For me, this is an amazing feature. I'm very concerned about respecting the trail. The last thing I want to see is wads of toilet paper from others, even if it's biodegradable.

Good luck!
Christine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A private topic? You'll get rid of all sense of "privacy" along the camino, after for weeks sleeping in rooms with dozens of strangers, having showers in public bathrooms without locks and not a single toilet along the road. I'm a woman, and after 3 days of discomfort trying to hold my pee for hours while walking till the end of the day when I reached an albergue, I decided privacy could go to h###.
I just checked if there weren't any pilgrims seeing me and dove in the nearest bush or behind the nearest tree. Special devices for woman? No need, only extra weight, you just need to get a bit handy in not spraying all over your shoes. I carried a little plastic bag for the toilet paper, couldn't be easier.
Just one tip: take of your backpack before you do anything... I once tried to pee with my backpack still on, and couldn't get my pants back on after done business. I made the silliest dance trying to pull up my pants till some other pilgrims came to check behind the bush what on earth I was doing. Very embarrasing :-$

Don't use toilet paper for a wee. Wear a pad to catch the drips, change it when you reach a toilet. If all women did that there would not be a paper trail along the path.

Good idea. Would work anywhere on the Camino, because even with proper toilet facilities there is no guarantee of toilet paper.

Good idea. Would work anywhere on the Camino, because even with proper toilet facilities there is no guarantee of toilet paper.

You do have to watch that it does not rub and cause a blister. Cut or fold to avoid - and if it starts to rub, for goodness sake, don't ignore it - even if you are in a very public place. Dual purpose of a poncho or sarong is to provide a screen.....

Last edited:

Same product can also serve as shoe or boot liner/insole when originals are sodden from rain.

MM

Same product can also serve as shoe or boot liner/insole when originals are sodden from rain.

MM

Yes I remember the lady that runs the Albergue at Cizur Menor used to recommend that.

I pee, you pee, we all pee! Privacy is a strange thing. As a man, it's been easier to do so, but we all need it on the camino, man and woman. Peeing is such a natural thing, let's give each other some space and be easy to see a little or to be seen a little. Would make life (and camino) much easier.

My friend used a PStyle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AA2LDW/?tag=casaivar02-20 on her Camino and strongly recommended it - I bought one and was successful using it the first time. It is hard plastic trough, with smooth edges, so you can basically scrape (that doesn't sound comfortable, but it is) yourself off so you don't need TP. You shake it off hard and it is almost completely dry (wrap it in TP before putting it back if you would like). Store it in a little bag. You can wash it off when you get to a bathroom. So simple, I can't imagine using anything with a spout. My friend said it doesn't overflow like the other kinds.
Highly recommend the PStyle for all the reasons stated. It works well but we're all different and I had to try several other types before I found one that suited.

Great stories and interesting tips. :)
I still find its much faster to just drop pants and go rather than fool with a contraption of some kind.

Last time I went al fresco was on an African safari when the guide first checked for snakes and then told me to quickly go behind the jeep while the monkeys in the trees yelled down at me. I was FAST. ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last time I went al fresco was on an African safari when the guide first checked for snakes and then told me to quickly go behind the jeep while the monkeys in the trees yelled down at me. I was FAST. ;)

Spend a dollar and buy a coffee
Go to the toilet when there .
Stop for lunch and go again.
You are now 2 kg lighter.

That would be stretching things! Maybe a kg or a bit more.

Hi Doug,
Yes , maybe a kg,
Not bad if you wish to loose weight............ i only quoted to lunch time.

Beside the Mesata , every 5-10 km you are in a cafe/bar..............toilet...............just like home........every hour or two.
If they cannot handle that situation then its a very long journey.......

By the way , Pipello [Marilyn ] asked or started this conversation 18 months ago.........i hope she has finished and joined the tract.

This thread is the pits....People need to be told how to commit their body functions !!!..........Are you children ?..........Is this what this forum has come to?......Get a life !!..........

This thread is the pits....People need to be told how to commit their body functions !!!..........Are you children ?..........Is this what this forum has come to?......Get a life !!..........
@vicrev, I am sorry you think this, but thank you for taking the time to respond. Your toil - it will not be in vain! I will take better aim with my comments in future.

Last edited:

Oh dear! o_O Whatever happened to the tolerance and understanding of fellow pilgrims?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, it is a normal, natural thing that obviously some people are concerned about.
A little humor always helps with the odd topics if you ask me.

Completely agree with your sentiments .
How simple is it to visit a cafe , buy a drink and visit the loo.
Vic , the next question coming ???? will more than likely ask....... which way to place the bandaid / campeed on the toe.????????

Oh dear! o_O Whatever happened to the tolerance and understanding of fellow pilgrims?

If you were GOING to walk in June =August this year instead of March then your understanding of tolerance on the camino "could" change. I have seen arguments in the queue's at the albergues ........just people looking for beds.
Best to do it first mate .
However there is more tolerance and understanding on the camino than in the streets of our major cities.....by a mile.

Well, it is a normal, natural thing that obviously some people are concerned about.
A little humor always helps with the odd topics if you ask me.

You will need all the humour you can get
when the first blister arrives ,
when the rain soaks your boots ,
when the snoring keeps you awake all night ,
when the racers rush past you for the last bed ,
when the cyclists fly past you without ringing their bell,
and thats just a few occasions when you will need a smile.

In relation to the loo ............my grandkids are trained so how on Gods earth are we as adults asking such questions when a 800km path is looking you in the face.
How simple;
On the WAY go when you walk up , like the rest of the world , in the cafe's after you buy a coffee whilst walking or find a lemon tree.

Well, from the evidence all along the Camino, the answer is "yes! they apparently do!"
Otherwise there wouldn't be a trail of dirty toilet paper all the way to Santiago!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, from the evidence all along the Camino, the answer is "yes! they apparently do!"
Otherwise there wouldn't be a trail of dirty toilet paper all the way to Santiago!

May i ask Annie ,
Is the majority of this mess from the "early risers [5am]"or from the ones who started from the previous village again the early risers only to find no shops open when going through where we slept.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May i ask Annie ,
Is the majority of this mess from the "early risers [5am]"or from the ones who started from the previous village again the early risers only to find no shops open when going through where we slept.

The mess is made by WOMEN who, all day long, use the side of the Camino for a toilet and leave their paper behind.

Recommend the Freshette whenever hiking. No learning curve. Keep it in a small zippered bag hung from your backpack to reach it easily. My bag has 2 zips, one for Freshette, one for sterilizing cleansing pads. No need to go looking for privacy, use paper, be uncomfortable. After use, rinse it and your hands with your water. Undo small sanitizing cloth or alcohol wipe, and stuff back into pouch (including wipes). Come on ladies...go like a man! No man cares and most think it smart. Or go ahead and break your ankle in a gully and crossing fields... not a big deal. Really. Ounces.

The mess is made by WOMEN who, all day long, use the side of the Camino for a toilet and leave their paper behind.
That might explain unsoiled toilet paper, but there were several places on the CF when I walked soiled with feaces. Women need not shoulder sole responsibility for that.

In the outdoor stores near me there are all manner of spades for digging 'cat holes' and other assorted paraphernalia for 'going' in the great outdoors and not leaving a trace of your having 'gone.' Correct me if I am wrong, but nowhere on this forum have I seen anyone talk of carrying a spade for cat hole digging purposes, nor have I ever seen a spade listed on anyone's packing list, much less the weight of such spade. No one wants signs in albergues suggesting to pilgrims, many of whom have little or no experience in the outdoors, that certain consideration can be given to the land through which they walk, to their fellow pilgrims, and above all to the local people. It seems to me that everyone prefers to tippy toe around the issue instead of making a concerted effort to educate people. Perhaps the powers that be have a reason for this. I say it's time to quit complaining and watch where you walk.

:rolleyes:@Thornley this thread is specifically about women. Go point your Percy at the porcelain or Larry at the lemon tree and stop leaking badly over us. ;)

You have given me good advice over the years Kanga which i have always followed.
I will follow your command.
Must be the weather up there mate....lol

A cat hole is better than nothing but I'd rather people carried out their waste in a plastic bag. Much of the soil around the camino is rock hard and it is difficult to imagine people digging well enough to bury their waste properly. We pick up after our dogs, why not ourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back