• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women be aware of Miguel at San Nicolas de Puente Fitero

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilly1234

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Update: I went to the Guardia Civil and they took it very seriously and are going to arrest him. I also contacted the church where it took place and they emailed me last night saying they have fired him and he will no longer be working at the church. I hope that brings comfort to anyone that has been a victim of this man or is planning on staying there in the future! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement to report this crime.
Buen Camino!

Update: I’ve spoken to the Guardia Civil and I’m a making a report tomorrow, the people who commented are right they have taken it very seriously which is reassuring!

I stayed at Albergue San Nicolas de Puente Fitero the other night and even though it was a magical setting it was tarnished by Miguel the local volunteer. A man in his 70s, he made advances towards me and tried to kiss me, I had to forcefully push him off me, it was not in a friendly nature and left me feeling unsettled, it wasn’t worthy of calling the police but I wanted to make people aware especially solo female travellers! He is a volunteer there who cleans/massages the women’s feet and I do not believe his intentions are innocent. The church are aware of it and I’ve asked them to stop letting him volunteer but I’m not sure whether they will. One of the monks from the church actually tracked my friend down on Facebook afterwards, assuming he looked at her passport, and tried to add her as a friend. It’s a shame as the place was special but I would avoid it if you’re travelling as a solo woman.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that behaviour like this IS worthy of calling the police. Why do think that it isn't? If you were at home and someone did this, you would turn them in. It is not ok that the place where he is volunteering does not ban him.

I think that behaviour like this IS worthy of calling the police. Why do think that it isn't? If you were at home and someone did this, you would turn them in. It is not ok that the place where he is volunteering does not ban him.
I think maybe you are right but at the time I wasn’t sure what to do and didn’t feel able to push it further. It was an extremely remote Albergue and I felt uncomfortable taking police action.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Guardia Civil is there exactly for this. They are out, driving all over the Camino, so even for remote locations, they will be there. The safety of the pilgrims is a top priorty for them.
Is this the San Nicolas that is about 11km after Castrojeriz? Or do I have the wrong place?

The Guardia Civil is there exactly for this. They are out, driving all over the Camino, so even for remote locations, they will be there. The safety of the pilgrims is a top priorty for them.
Is this the San Nicolas that is about 11km after Castrojeriz? Or do I have the wrong place?
Yes that is the place.

I stayed there 4 years ago and there was a man massaging feet. Same guy I guess.
Broke my wrist there in the morning and the Guardia Civil stopped by at 06:15 in the morning to see what was going on. It is not in that remots of an area. Castrojeriz is close by as is Fromista and some other small towns. If other women have reported him, then adding your report helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed there 4 years ago and there was a man massaging feet. Same guy I guess.
Broke my wrist there in the morning and the Guardia Civil stopped by at 06:15 in the morning to see what was going on. It is not in that remots of an area. Castrojeriz is close by as is Fromista and some other small towns. If other women have reported him, then adding your report helps.
Sorry you went through that. You are right, I’m going to go to the Guardia Civil in Sahagun and report it.

You are right, this was quite a triggering episode for me so I tried to ignore it. I’m going to go to the Guardia Civil in Sahagun and report it, my friend has a photo of him so hopefully that will also help.
It is extremely important that this is reported to the Guardia Civil. They will take the report seriously. This is a dangerous place for women and the authorities need to be involved.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are right, this was quite a triggering episode for me so I tried to ignore it. I’m going to go to the Guardia Civil in Sahagun and report it, my friend has a photo of him so hopefully that will also help.
Thank you! I am so sorry this happened to you - with reporting, you are helping to care for the women coming after you but it's also so important you take care of yourself as well - it's good you have a friend with you.

Thank you! I am so sorry this happened to you - with reporting, you are helping to care for the women coming after you but it's also so important you take care of yourself as well - it's good you have a friend with you.
Yes we met on the way and have been looking after each other, a shame it feels necessary. Thank you for encouraging me to report it.

Yes we met on the way and have been looking after each other, a shame it feels necessary. Thank you for encouraging me to report it.
Thank you for telling the forum. I had planned to stay there and will avoid it or be wary

I hope your reporting goes well and you are doing ok now. These things are scary

€83,-
Update: I’ve spoken to the Guardia Civil and I’m a making a report tomorrow, the people who commented are right they have taken it very seriously which is reassuring!

I stayed at Albergue San Nicolas de Puente Fitero the other night and even though it was a magical setting it was tarnished by Miguel the local volunteer. A man in his 70s, he made advances towards me and tried to kiss me, I had to forcefully push him off me, it was not in a friendly nature and left me feeling unsettled, it wasn’t worthy of calling the police but I wanted to make people aware especially solo female travellers! He is a volunteer there who cleans/massages the women’s feet and I do not believe his intentions are innocent. The church are aware of it and I’ve asked them to stop letting him volunteer but I’m not sure whether they will. One of the monks from the church actually tracked my friend down on Facebook afterwards, assuming he looked at her passport, and tried to add her as a friend. It’s a shame as the place was special but I would avoid it if you’re travelling as a solo woman.

I'm very sorry to hear about this as it's not the kind of behaviour, that makes pilgrims feeling safe on the camino. And I do hope, that this accident won't spoil the rest of your Camino. And om top of that, it makes me feel sad, because when I walked my first Camino Frances, this place was the greatest of all the albergues on the Frances. It was THE experience. Alone the historie of the place makes it one of the great place
es in the camino. The foot massage thing BTW is an integrated part of the Pilgrim blessing at this place, even though it shouldn't be a proper foot massage. Just washing your feet and kissing them.

I stayed there in April (or May) 2018, there was a man there then who would only offer to massage the women’s feet (he disappeared everytime a male asked), and would very much so take liberties with his hands so far up thighs while doing so. He would try to play it off as ‘charming’ but you had a sick feeling in your gut, especially when he would try to maintain eye contact while doing so. I clearly remember him not being particularly happy when I changed into shorts for my ‘foot massage’ instead of stripping down to my underwear as some of the other girls had done. After a few hours of seeing the pattern of every solo female pilgrim coming back a little rattled throughout the afternoon, one male pilgrim after compiling experiences, had very stern words and drew the other hospitaleros attention to what was actually going on. He was removed from the premises for the rest of our evening/morning.

I am shocked and horrified that this sounds like the same person, 4 years later, still there and still getting away with this behaviour.
I also feel incredibly stupid now that we did not report it by official means, and just wanted to put it out of our mind as quickly as possible, I’m sorry this has happened to you. It was naive of us all to think we were among the first or last by the sounds of it.

Also such a shame, at what is otherwise a magical Albergue.

Last edited:
I stayed there in April 2018, there was a man there then who would only offer to massage the women’s feet (he disappeared everytime a male asked), and would very much so take liberties with his hands so far up thighs while doing so. He would try to play it off as ‘charming’ but you had a sick feeling in your gut, especially when he would try to maintain eye contact while doing so. I clearly remember him not being particularly happy when I changed into shorts for my ‘foot massage’ instead of stripping down to my underwear as some of the other girls had done. After a few hours of seeing the pattern of every solo female pilgrim coming back a little rattled, one male pilgrim after compiling experiences, had very stern words and drew the other hospitaleros attention to what was actually going on. He was removed from the premises for the rest of our evening/morning.

I am shocked and horrified that this sounds like the same person, 4 years later, still there and still getting away with this behaviour.
I also feel incredibly stupid now that we did not report it by official means, and just wanted to put it out of our mind as quickly as possible, I’m sorry this has happened to you. It was naive of us all to think we were among the first or last by the sounds of it.

Are you sure, this is the same albergue, because due to no heating system and no elektricity as well, they're usually not open 'till June 1st.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you sure, this is the same albergue, because due to no heating system and no elektricity as well, they're usually not open 'till June 1st.
Positive. It may have been late April or very early May. It had only just opened early for the season that year; the guidebook had said it should be closed.
Dinner and breakfast was by candlelight, the clotheslines were to the left of the rectangular building and the kitchen/bathroom were in a small building out the back.

Positive. It may have been late April or very early May. It had only just opened early for the season that year; the guidebook had said it should be closed.
Dinner and breakfast was by candlelight, the clotheslines were to the left of the rectangular building and the kitchen/bathroom were in a small building out the back.
Yes this is it, you are correct.

I think maybe you are right but at the time I wasn’t sure what to do and didn’t feel able to push it further. It was an extremely remote Albergue and I felt uncomfortable taking police action.
You should also download the AlertCops app. If you have the app on your phone and activate it you will immediately be put in touch with an English Speaking officer. They can track your location if you are hurt or in trouble and can send someone immediately to you. I think everyone should have this app on their phone. Always call never allow these men to continue their sick and perverted ways. They need to be stopped immediately and prosecuted.

You did the right thing in reporting them. That is an attempted sexual assault and the perpetrator will continue to aggress until they are stopped. They rely on their victims' silence and the unwillingness to press the issue. Prosecution is the only way to stop them and the more the police know, the better others are protected.

I'm very sorry to hear about this as it's not the kind of behaviour, that makes pilgrims feeling safe on the camino. And I do hope, that this accident won't spoil the rest of your Camino. And om top of that, it makes me feel sad, because when I walked my first Camino Frances, this place was the greatest of all the albergues on the Frances. It was THE experience. Alone the historie of the place makes it one of the great place
es in the camino. The foot massage thing BTW is an integrated part of the Pilgrim blessing at this place, even though it shouldn't be a proper foot massage. Just washing your feet and kissing them.
Truly was a special place on our camino, the beauty was amazing, and oddly my daughter and I almost became hosts there for a few days! They had no one coming to take the place f a young lovely couple who had hosted longer than they wanted...and we were asked, we came close to doing it. Often I have regretted we did not.
however that's not why I pressed reply on this post, I just wanted it noted that the last line of your post stating a "washing of the feet" is not a "foot massage" is important to note: it could differ than the first few words of your post that state "the foot massage thing BTW is an integrated part of the Pilgrim blessing at this place". It is not a foot massage that is a special part of this place, it is a foot washing copying the washing of the feet by Jesus to his disciples. So please ladies do not think otherwise and accept anything but. I wonder if this Misquel is even one doing this? It would be done by the staff in the red coats, though they did joke if we stayed we could wear the red coats for this (we were all laughing, but not certain if that would have been true).
We had a local man come and have coffee with the hosts and brought veggies from a garden, but I will be honest i remember nothing else about him. However we were a mom and daughter, and a couple that night(only four of us), so maybe no one for this guy to actually prey upon.
There is reference to "the church" knowing, are you speaking of the church in Italy as I was under the impression that is where they are based out of.
This event , especially knowing the perv was reported would not stop me from going, but the advice from the poster to be careful of this person is exactly what I would do.
I expect nothing less of this organization to handle this situation rightly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The albergue is run by the Confraternity of James of Perugia, Italy.
(https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/en/ways-of-santiago/san-nicolas-de-puente-fitero/ )
They take their religious service pretty seriously, do NOT confuse the foot-washing rite with this perv's "massage" service. I am surprised and sad to see this post, I will let the Confradia know what's being said here so they can take action.
There have always been creeps and criminals on the Way. We can use AlertCops and other means to police ourselves and the people around us, and keep this Holy path open and safe for everyone.

You have my sympathies this evening. Your description triggers a memory of arriving here late, alone, one evening. I had intended staying at Castrojerz, but decided to continue in order to shake off a male pilgrim who was persistently following me. There was only 1 bed left and they could not understand why I would'nt stay unless there was at least one other woman staying. When you arrive, it feels like a remote location, add in no electricity and big heavy doors closed at 10pm. I found it intimidating, but I was already rattled! There were 2 other women staying, I had a wonderful communal meal, and it was a very special location. I missed the foot washing, looks like that was a lucky escape. Mind yourself, it will take a while to process and to feel safe againxx

Miguel

Miguel needs a good smack, he’s giving us guys over 70 a bad rap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Miguel

Miguel needs a good smack, he’s giving us guys over 70 a bad rap.
If he continues to be present there for some reason, perhaps some Public Group Peer "Counseling" can assist him to know that sexualizing & predating women pilgrims is Not Acceptable. Sounds like one man attempted that some years back & Miguel needs a reminder in stronger terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for telling the forum. I had planned to stay there and will avoid it or be wary

I hope your reporting goes well and you are doing ok now. These things are scary
If you do stay there can you let this forum/thread know if he is still doing it
The albergue is run by the Confraternity of James of Perugia, Italy.
(https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/en/ways-of-santiago/san-nicolas-de-puente-fitero/ )
They take their religious service pretty seriously, do NOT confuse the foot-washing rite with this perv's "massage" service. I am surprised and sad to see this post, I will let the Confradia know what's being said here so they can take action.
There have always been creeps and criminals on the Way. We can use AlertCops and other means to police ourselves and the people around us, and keep this Holy path open and safe for everyone.
Thank you and please also inform them that it was one of their monks named Niko who later tried to befriend my friend on Facebook using her passport details!

Thank you so much for posting this and I am sorry you had this very unpleasant experience. I am traveling with my daugher for half of the camino and I believe that this would have been my first night solo after she departs. It seems incredible that this monster has got away with this behaviour for years. I cant belive that others working there do not know what he is doing.
Well done for reporting him.

Please make sure this is reported to the local bishop of the Catholic church in Burgos. That albergue is a ministry and as such is responsible to the local bishop. In the current atmosphere immediate action is guaranteed.

€83,-
I stayed there in April 2018, there was a man there then who would only offer to massage the women’s feet (he disappeared everytime a male asked), and would very much so take liberties with his hands so far up thighs while doing so. He would try to play it off as ‘charming’ but you had a sick feeling in your gut, especially when he would try to maintain eye contact while doing so. I clearly remember him not being particularly happy when I changed into shorts for my ‘foot massage’ instead of stripping down to my underwear as some of the other girls had done. After a few hours of seeing the pattern of every solo female pilgrim coming back a little rattled throughout the afternoon, one male pilgrim after compiling experiences, had very stern words and drew the other hospitaleros attention to what was actually going on. He was removed from the premises for the rest of our evening/morning.

It sounds like we had a similar experience and I’m so sorry you also had to deal with it. My friend raised questions regarding him and they said he “wasn’t very well” which was one of the main reasons I didn’t push it further as they clearly didn’t care. I’m going to make sure it it fully reported tomorrow
yes I agree it is very sad as other than that this was a very special place. The traditional pilgrim blessing of washing of the feet did happen in a sacred and special blessing, this was a completely separate
You should also download the AlertCops app. If you have the app on your phone and activate it you will immediately be put in touch with an English Speaking officer. They can track your location if you are hurt or in trouble and can send someone immediately to you. I think everyone should have this app on their phone. Always call never allow these men to continue their sick and perverted ways. They need to be stopped immediately and prosecuted.
thats a great idea thank you! Yes I agree.

Thank you so much for posting this and I am sorry you had this very unpleasant experience. I am traveling with my daugher for half of the camino and I believe that this would have been my first night solo after she departs. It seems incredible that this monster has got away with this behaviour for years. I cant belive that others working there do not know what he is doing.
Well done for reporting him.
I think they did know what he was doing which is why I found it hard to report initially. Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful Camino with your daughter.

If you do stay there can you let this forum/thread know if he is still doing it

Thank you and please also inform them that it was one of their monks named Niko who later tried to befriend my friend on Facebook using her passport details!
There are no monks at San Nicolas. They're volunteers from the Italian Confraternity of Saint James in Perugia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Created an account to report that the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I had read about the foot washing ceremony at this albergue so I thought his offer of foot massage was part of it. It got really creepy and he tried to kiss me when he was leaving.

Other than that, the albergue was truly magical and the volunteers running it are amazing.

I’m pretty far from there now but I’ll try to report to the organization and the local authority as well.

Wishing everyone a safe camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I find it really upsetting that such a beautiful, profound experience should be sullied by crap like this. I’m so sorry for your experience.

I have notified the office of the Archbishop
Just to clarify I reported what was shared here. I did not directly quote or name sources. I related generally the type of abuse that was shared by paragrinas and my concern as a member of the clergy that the hierarchy of the church be aware of what people have experienced at St Nicolas, which is a Catholic ministry. I received acknowledgment from the office of the archbishop that the message was received. If I’m contacted further I will refer the request to Ivar.

Thank you for making this an incident instead of just brushing it off. Enough is enough. We all deserve the right to travel unaccompanied in safety.
Men, please take this more seriously. You should be as outraged as the women are. This is another reminder of how, even when everything is the same, women have more to contend with than men.
BTW, all the men who are acting and reacting on this thread, thank you for standing up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for making this an incident instead of just brushing it off. Enough is enough. We all deserve the right to travel unaccompanied in safety.
Men, please take this more seriously. You should be as outraged as the women are. This is another reminder of how, even when everything is the same, women have more to contend with than men.
We do take it seriously and as you can see from the comments above we are outraged.

Just to clarify I reported what was shared here. I did not directly quote or name sources. I related generally the type of abuse that was shared by paragrinas and my concern as a member of the clergy that the hierarchy of the church be aware of what people have experienced at St Nicolas, which is a Catholic ministry. I received acknowledgment from the office of the archbishop that the message was received. If I’m contacted further I will refer the request to Ivar.
Thanks for doing this Zordmort. I pray the archbishop responds accordingly and quickly to protect the pilgrims, the Albergue San Nicolas de Puente Fitero, and the Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:

€46,-
I did not see this explained in the thread, so I though I would add it for consideration.

As a repeat volunteer at the Pilgrim Office I have had to escort women to the Guardia Civil office to make a complaint about something that occurred days earlier, out on a Camino. As a result of these, thankfully rare, occurrences, officers have explained the Spanish legal code, as it regards physical and non-physical altercations.

In the Spanish legal code, exhibitionism or masturbation directed to influence someone else (or just done in public) is considered a misdemeanor. If the culprit is caught “in flagrante” so to speak, the most punishment that might be doled out is a summons and a ticket resulting in a civil fine.

The police will not typically arrest someone for this sort of behavior - no matter how objectionable it is perceived.

OTOH - if the other person actually touches you in any way that is unwanted, a battery has been committed. The police will definitely arrest the person. This includes hugging, rubbing or massaging that “crosses the line.”

Further, if the other person uses any object in the commission of the battery to threaten or coerce the victim, the charge increases to assault and battery - a more serious crime. The object could be as malevolent as a gun or knife - or as benign as a walking cane, hiking poles or garden tool.

THAT is why all unpleasant encounters must be reported to the local police or Guardia Civil. As I tell the pilgrims I accompany to the GC office - “we have to remember that we are guests in a foreign country with laws that might differ from those in our home countries. We do not have to like or agree with those laws, but as guests, we must comply with them.”

The critical element is unwanted touching. In Spain “yes” means “yes,” and “no” means “NO!”

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Update: I went to the Guardia Civil and they took it very seriously and are going to arrest him. I also contacted the church where it took place and they emailed me last night saying they have fired him and he will no longer be working at the church. I hope that brings comfort to anyone that has been a victim of this man or is planning on staying there in the future! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement to report this crime.
@tilly1234, thank you for this update. I had been wondering whether there had been a follow-up. I saw only by chance today that you had updated your initial post with this new information.

I would also like to thank you for posting about the incident and for reporting it to the Guardia Civil and to whoever is in charge of running the San Nicholas de Puente Fitero albergue and of having him employed as a local cleaner and also allowed him to offer foot massages. Sharing and reporting is the only way to stop such incidents from happening repeatedly and to other women and it will hopefully lead to change in general, too.

It is particularly encouraging to get yet another confirmation that the Guardia Civil takes such reports made by peregrinas very seriously. Thank you again and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Buen Camino!

Thank you for reporting that. If everyone does that, the camino will be more safe. Volunteers are supposed to ensure a safe space for the pilgrims.

€83,-
I stayed there in April (or May) 2018, there was a man there then who would only offer to massage the women’s feet (he disappeared everytime a male asked), and would very much so take liberties with his hands so far up thighs while doing so. He would try to play it off as ‘charming’ but you had a sick feeling in your gut, especially when he would try to maintain eye contact while doing so. I clearly remember him not being particularly happy when I changed into shorts for my ‘foot massage’ instead of stripping down to my underwear as some of the other girls had done. After a few hours of seeing the pattern of every solo female pilgrim coming back a little rattled throughout the afternoon, one male pilgrim after compiling experiences, had very stern words and drew the other hospitaleros attention to what was actually going on. He was removed from the premises for the rest of our evening/morning.

I certainly am not defending the guy but remember Covid shut everything down for almost 2 years, so what he was doing for those interim two years I don’t know but I’m thankful and grateful

Meaning he obviously wasn’t massaging women’s feet legs days for those two years. Just remember yes stay alert report any any suspicious lurking individuals ASAP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for the update @tilly1234 I am grateful that you reported it and thankful that your report was taken very seriously by all authorities involved.

I did not see this explained in the thread, so I though I would add it for consideration.

As a repeat volunteer at the Pilgrim Office I have had to escort women to the Guardia Civil office to make a complaint about something that occurred days earlier, out on a Camino. As a result of these, thankfully rare, occurrences, officers have explained the Spanish legal code, as it regards physical and non-physical altercations.

In the Spanish legal code, exhibitionism or masturbation directed to influence someone else (or just done in public) is considered a misdemeanor. If the culprit is caught “in flagrante” so to speak, the most punishment that might be doled out is a summons and a ticket resulting in a civil fine.

The police will not typically arrest someone for this sort of behavior - not matter how objectionable it is perceived.

OTOH - if the other person actually touches you in any way that is unwanted, a battery has been committed. The police will definitely arrest the person. This includes hugging, rubbing or massaging that “crosses the line.”

Further, if the other person uses any object in the commission of the battery to threaten or coerce the victim, the charge increases to assault and battery - a more serious crime. The object could be as malevolent as a gun or knife - or as benign as a walking cane, hiking poles or garden tool.

THAT is why all unpleasant encounters must be reported to the local police or Guardia Civil. As I tell the pilgrims I accompany to the GC office - “we have to remember that we are guests in a foreign country with laws that might differ from those in our home countries. We do not have to like or agree with those laws, but as guests, we must comply with them.”

The critical element is unwanted touching. In Spain “yes” means “yes,” and “no” means “NO!”

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you for some jurisdictional context. Most legal/extra-legal systems around the globe continue to operate with patriarchal values. It is up to all of us to support changes that result in Equality for Women. It is challenging to de-construct our biases, due to our blinders created inside these patriarchal cultures.

I think they did know what he was doing which is why I found it hard to report initially. Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful Camino with your daughter.
Thank you for making the issue Visible. I suspect you are correct that the behavior was known in-house, as it has gone on for some while. Unfortunately, inappropriate sexual behavior within religious circles has been tolerated far too long. (and not just the Catholics - I practice Zen Buddhism & similar behaviors by Buddhist teachers have been covered up in the US until women devotees finally raise public objections. )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am angry and disheartened to hear of the OP’s experience and the fact that many others have endured the same treatment over the years. The Camino experience is so incredibly special in a positive way, it makes me sad to think anyone returns home with this creepy memory as part of the experience. Thank you and the other Peregrinas for reporting this behavior so the authorities (Church & Civil Guardia) can intervene with the tools and the laws they must adhere to. I do understand the reasons the OP and others gave for not reporting the experience.

AnaRosario’s post #49 and #50 above did not make sense to me initially but perhaps she was implying that this man was supplementing his income with this “massage” service? Did pilgrims pay this man to rub their feet or tip him afterwards? If this is the case and after reading T2andreo’s Post #46, I can see how paying for this massage could complicate any prosecution.

I don’t think there is any question this man is primarily gratifying some need other than Spiritual or economic with his massage service and for that reason alone must be excluded from Pilgrim interaction that involves any physical contact…period. I hope the Church, the Albergue, the local community can find some help for this man dealing with his unacceptable compulsion so he does not taint the Camino experience for even one more Peregrina.

Did pilgrims pay this man to rub their feet or tip him afterwards? If this is the case and after reading T2andreo’s Post #46, I can see how paying for this massage could complicate any prosecution.
How so? @tilly1234 , @Sam - AU and @loop123 were very clear that this man was a volunteer and that the incidents involved much more than a foot rub. This kind of speculation has an undertone of placing some blame with the women who have reported this man.

Last edited:
ugh! let the condemnations begin.

I guess you see what you are looking for.

Your comment does not reflect the tone or intent of my message.

To Men on this forum reading this, maybe better to read the thread but not comment as the scrutiny to find an undertone discrediting you is at risk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ugh! let the condemnations begin.

I guess you see what you are looking for.

Your comment does not reflect the tone or intent of my message.

To Men on this forum reading this, maybe better to read the thread but not comment as the scrutiny to find an undertone discrediting you is at risk.
This makes no sense. Men cannot comment? As it is men who you cautioning, I must assume that you are asserting that women read this with the intent to unfairly discredit them?

Thanks to the forum member who sent links to various news outlets. The Guardia Civil has identified the perpetrator and is beginning proceedings against him.

Many many thanks to @tilly1234 for having had the strength to go forward with the complaint.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back