• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women & Men's walking poles

musicman

Ensuitepilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Have been looking at various poles.
Was bemused that some manufacturers differentiate between Women and mens' poles ...
Can anyone thrown any light on this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Blue for men and pink for women? :D
Where did you see this nice marketing stuff?

full

They must be pink just like most of the outdoor equipment "for women" o_O. Ooops, :oops:.

In all seriousness, Black Diamond says their poles for women have a smaller grip, which is fair. It also says the grips are "plush" which frankly they might as well have made them pink. Who needs plush?!

Now, I would like to see the studies that show that a smaller grip gives women 10% more propulsion or stability. o_O

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Apart of color and height (relative) not really. My guess it is purely marketing, some thing like different dog food for Yorkshire Terriers and Chihuahuas really - an artificially created 'need'. Buen Camino, SY

I'll take plush. Just for the sound of it because really, it's so much more fun and class to say "My poles have plushy handles".
Compare it to "They have corky handles" or "They have polyethyleneterephthalaty handles"
That's why they have women's poles.
:D:p

full

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My Black Diamond Trail Pro poles have a slightly smaller grip. Which is nice since my hands are small. They certainly are more comfortable than my Leki ones. But other than that? Nothing. The weight difference between my women's Black Diamond and the men's version is only 1 oz.

It seems that if women are typically shorter and have smaller hands than men then it is logical to make poles designed for women. I don't think there is any form of judgment indicated by designating them men's or women's poles. On the other hand, no on is monitoring which poles you buy. Purchase those that feel best for you regardless if they are men's or women's. Problem solved and no one is harmed.

Sometimes I think we seek for opportunities to be offended. I have a friend, Lois, she is one of those rare individuals who absolutely never takes anything that is said to her in a personal way. She simply does not take offense at the words or actions of others. It is an amazing gift that I have long envied. Regardless, I deeply appreciate her example. Moving along.

Sorry MichaelB, but I was taught to reason, to observe and analyse, which allows me to see, at least sometimes, when someone is trying to pull a fast one on me. Marketers are known for creating false needs, and this is one of them. I would be interested in seeing projected sales for this new product. How many women do they hope will leave their perfectly good poles in the closet to buy a pink or purple pair for 120$.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It seems like the wisest thing for every male to do on all topics having to do with gender and specifically anything to do with the female gender, regardless of the actual topic. I have learned repeatedly, or apparently never really learned it well, that it never pays to comment.

My response was only addressing the first post - the difference between male and female poles. IF, and that is a big "if", females have smaller hands and are typically shorter then it is logical through reason, observation, and the simplest of analysis to conclude that women's poles will have smaller grips and be made for shorter people - that they will be different. I am not addressing color, sparkles, whizzbangs, and frills - those things are obviously of little value and in today's world will appeal to both males and females.

The "moving on" comment was my way of yawning; realizing that there was not a lot left to be said and I should go out on the porch and look at the sun set.

Last edited:
Mmm, I love my purple with pink, black diamond z-poles. I love them they are light and go in my backpack at night. (I once had my poles taken accidentally in an alberge.) My husband brought the purple ones with him from a business trip as an present and he decided the color (?). I decided the length based on my height......little did I know about the size of the grips... have to check this if it is true....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mmm, I love my purple with pink, black diamond z-poles. I love them they are light and go in my backpack at night. (I once had my poles taken accidentally in an alberge.) My husband brought the purple ones with him from a business trip as an present and he decided the color (?). I decided the length based on my height......little did I know about the size of the grips... have to check this if it is true....

Let us know about how plush the handles are as well, after all size, weight and folding mechanism are idential to what will forever be known as the "male" model ;0).

Sometimes I think we seek for opportunities to be offended.
We're not offended so much as we are laughing at the silliness. The only "offensive" thing is that the marketers think either men or women might rush to buy the specific poles and even pay more, as if the manufacturers had incorporated some special feature other than size and colour.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd hazard that the difference between the men's poles and the women's poles, is that the women's poles will be 25% more expensive. That's how it works with most items.
Such cynicism! Here in Australia, the Black Diamond Distance FLZ Women's retails for the same price as the standard Distance FLZ at Paddy Pallin. While I could not detect other than cosmetic differences (blue vs purple trim) I was fascinated by this description on the Black Diamond company website:
Like a good adventure partner, the Black Diamond Women’s Distance FLZ is strong when you aren’t, supportive when you’re bonking and easily adjustable when the terrain calls for adaptability. ... (at http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/distance-flz-pole-BD112178_cfg.html)
What have I been missing?

Dougfitz, brilliant.
Nothing more to be said, really.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Walked along the coast, from Lisbon, via Sintra to Porto, in June 2013.

No arrows - not a recognised Camino.

A very interesting and at times , frustrating walk, over a fortnight.
Great weather, breezy at times.

A blog, with lots of photos on" ensuitepilgrimblog.com/Wordpress"

Scroll down to bottom of June 2023 archive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have Black Diamond carbon Z poles for women. I don't know the exact difference in this model vs the male model, but they are the most comfortable poles I have ever used. I will be a repeat customer, and I don't see a difference in price between the 2 models.

Just my opinion.

I have bought poles for myself and my wife. While some poles do have different designs, the difference does seem to be small grips and, more importantly, smaller straps. Straps tend to dig into the side of the hand or wrist if they are too wide. Of course that assumes the user is putting pressure on the straps to shift weight from the knees.

A related comment: I just got back last week from my third camino last week. I notices that few people actually used their poles. Or, used them only to make noise by dragging them behind themselves and going tic-tic-tic for hours on end. It seems that spending a few minutes on U-tube to figure out what the poles are for is a waste of time, but not spending money on what becomes a useless toy. (Yes, I admit it. This became a real annoyance to me. I like the quiet of the trail.)

@dougfitz that is priceless. Dare I say it? I can't resist. I'm looking forward to bonking along the trail with my Z poles next April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Such cynicism! Here in Australia, the Black Diamond Distance FLZ Women's retails for the same price as the standard Distance FLZ at Paddy Pallin. While I could not detect other than cosmetic differences (blue vs purple trim) I was fascinated by this description on the Black Diamond company website:

What have I been missing?

Bonking is a term used when you have been working out so hard that you are hitting a wall. Usually due to low blood sugar, dehydration, etc. It may sound dirty but it's not :)

Bonking is a term used when you have been working out so hard that you are hitting a wall. Usually due to low blood sugar, dehydration, etc. It may sound dirty but it's not :)
Really, I would never have known! It has a quite different meaning in common English usage, even according to a fairly standard US dictionary, eg http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bonk, which does not list the meaning you have offered. Even that wonderful source, the Urban Dictionary, uses this as its Top Definition for the word, and only then acknowledges the definition you appear to prefer (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bonking). So all but a relatively small proportion of the English speaking world will see the product description as incongruous and mildly humourous.

And as an aside, I don't see why referring to having sexual intercourse should be 'dirty'. That makes you sound very prudish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Really, I would never have known! It has a quite different meaning in common English usage, even according to a fairly standard US dictionary, eg http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bonk, which does not list the meaning you have offered. Even that wonderful source, the Urban Dictionary, uses this as its Top Definition for the word, and only then acknowledges the definition you appear to prefer (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bonking). So all but a relatively small proportion of the English speaking world will see the product description as incongruous and mildly humourous.

And as an aside, I don't see why referring to having sexual intercourse should be 'dirty'. That makes you sound very prudish.

The term is very common among athletes especially runners. I'm not surprised you've never heard of it. When I used the word "dirty" I was being funny. That's the reason for the smiley face. You are incorrect with your assessment that I'm "prudish". Not to mention it's very judgmental and offensive.

The term is very common among athletes especially runners. I'm not surprised you've never heard of it.
I'm sorry, you will have to add sarcastic to judgemental and offensive. I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone leapt to the defence of Black Diamond's use of the word bonking by pointing out that it had a very specialized meaning for certain sporting communities.

And I am glad to hear that you don't think you are prudish:).

The term is very common among athletes especially runners. I'm not surprised you've never heard of it. When I used the word "dirty" I was being funny. That's the reason for the smiley face. You are incorrect with your assessment that I'm "prudish". Not to mention it's very judgmental and offensive.

I've never heard the word 'bonking' used as an athletic term and I used to bonk my head a lot on low hanging objects. A lot of words are being used now in ways that do not remotely resemble dictionary definitions ,,, so what do I know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I don't think any of us needs to be judgmental, offensive or sarcastic. @alaskadiver was merely giving another meaning. Lets all be kindly to each other.

And, whatever the meaning, I am really looking forward to "using" my trekking poles.

I've never heard the word 'bonking' used as an athletic term and I used to bonk my head a lot on low hanging objects. A lot of words are being used now in ways that do not remotely resemble dictionary definitions ,,, so what do I know.

The term isn't new. I've been hearing it in long distance running and cycling circles for at least 20 years in the US. I'm sure there are many things you have never heard of-doesn't mean they don't exist :)
I just goggled it and the first hit defines it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

and so does the next entry:
http://www.bicycling.com/training/h...ionally-charged-stages-of-bonking-on-the-bike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used women's poles on one trek because they are a bit lighter. The weight savings came at the expense of sturdiness; they flexed a bit too much for my size and weight.

Sorry to disappoint you Falcon, Blackdiamond shows that for the same lenght, their poles weigh the same. I wonder where they put they shaved off the handles... in the plush? o_O

Yeah ... make 'em as light as possible ... the criteria being the force under which they become an impalement hazard when they break under the full weight of the user.

Torres del Paine circuit is marked with several broken poles. The poles are not designed to take any lateral force. Si yo fuera tu ... take a wooden staff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have bought poles for myself and my wife. While some poles do have different designs, the difference does seem to be small grips and, more importantly, smaller straps. Straps tend to dig into the side of the hand or wrist if they are too wide. Of course that assumes the user is putting pressure on the straps to shift weight from the knees.

A related comment: I just got back last week from my third camino last week. I notices that few people actually used their poles. Or, used them only to make noise by dragging them behind themselves and going tic-tic-tic for hours on end. It seems that spending a few minutes on U-tube to figure out what the poles are for is a waste of time, but not spending money on what becomes a useless toy. (Yes, I admit it. This became a real annoyance to me. I like the quiet of the trail.)
I shorten my poles (another brand, and unisex, I think) when I'm not needing them. But at times they give me four legs!

Like you, most folks I encountered on the camino were not very adept with their poles. They would have been better off leaving the poles home and saving the weight. To avoid the tic-tic-tic, a pair of rubber tips for the poles are a low cost investment that will make one much more popular with other peregrinos.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have been looking at various poles.
Was bemused that some manufacturers differentiate between Women and mens' poles ...
Can anyone thrown any light on this?

I have had Leiki cork handled poles for years. I tried the men's and the cork handle simply did not fit me. The women's though was extremely comfortable. I tried out various models available at the time. My hands are sensitive and get sweaty, so although the foam poles felt comfy the first few minutes I quickly decided against them.

It seems that if women are typically shorter and have smaller hands than men then it is logical to make poles designed for women.
SNIP

Although from many years of observation, it is more often marketing hype. In the cycling world it is known as "shrink and pink" and is usually an excuse to make lower quality gear and charge higher prices. Boardman bikes female versions only come in their lowest spec, for example but they have pretty pink decals. It also leads to a real problem for some of us, because when they make smaller kit for supposedly slender women, they also tend to make the men's kit too big for most women to use so we have no option if we don't fit the stereotypical shape and size. Look at shoes some time, womens are inevitably made much narrower than men's, but most women can't buy the wider fitting men's because they start at much larger sizes.

And then there is the blatant profiteering. If you start looking there are a surprising number of products which are identical in design or ingredients but the pink-packaged version marketed to women is a higher price. No, that isn't a joke.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that women have very good reason to be angry at marketing, and very suspicious of anything described as being women specific.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.