• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women Solo Travelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay Brown

Time of past OR future Camino
Present (2018)
To all my solo female travelers this is for you,
I have been on the Camino for 31 days since Saint Jean Pied de Port. I have had many great memories, and have met some amazing people along the way! This review is hard to write, but it must be said...
I arrived in La Faba with sore feet, drenched in rain, and needed a place to stay because I wasn't going to make O'cebreiro. I ended up 1st at the albergue La Faba. The place had no internet, and I felt uncomfortable in general staying there as they were not the most hospitable or friendly people. I set out to find another place. Casa El Arbol had wonderful reviews!!!! So I stopped in. Ate some food, talked with the bartender and asked if they had available rooms. She said yes, then the owner (Jose) came out. Offered me and a friend shots of tequila. We said sure very excitedly. Asked where I was staying, and handed me 5 euro to leave that place and come stay there. I took the offer not thinking anything but this person is being generous and hospitable (that seemed to follow up with the reviews)!! Later on after I settle in and have showered. I go down to enjoy some more food and wine. Jose sits down at my table with 2 glasses and a nice bottle of wine. He thanks me for staying with him tonight and wants me to have a special dinner with him and his friends. I began to think this all seemed strange especially after taking down my info he uses my number to message me on what's app. His messages seemed flirty so before assuming anything I asked about his wife that people mentioned in there reviews. He tells me he is not married, and would he be spending time with me if he was married. By this point it was 9 I am uncomfortable, but where was I going to go in the woods, the restaurant was closed, Jose and his friends were just hanging out partying and making food. This all seemed fine(strange) but I was going to make the most of it as an experience. While this is going on he continues to message me saying I don't need to talk about my boyfriend because tonight is about us. He also said what happens on the way stays on the way... I started to become very uncomfortable and said I was going to bed. He asked if he could come say goodnight later. I said NO! This was around 1am. At 2am Jose comes into my locked room. He wakes me up startled and asks again to stay with me. I said NO. He leaves a water bottle next to my bed. At 4am. He comes in again asking to stay and lay next to me. He begins to hug me and I push away saying NO 3 different times before he finally leaves. My heart racing I can't sleep. I leave around 630 and run (literally run) to O'cebreiro. I obviously know that none of the reviews would seem like this would be possible. I am writing this review because this was my experience and I dont want to be silent about it. I would hate for anyone else to go through an uncomfortable situation like this. Being a solo female is not easy a lot of the time you are at your most vulnerable state. Just because we are polite, out-going, fun, and respectful of different cultures doesn't and shouldn't make us easy prey

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry you had to experience that and I hope the rest of your Camino is better.
Though it doesn't undo your incident, your relating it on here may be of warning to a future peregrina and perhaps prevent a similar incident in the future.
ultreya

I have been on the Camino for 31 days since Saint Jean Pied de Port. I have had many great memories, and have met some amazing people along the way! This review is hard to write, but it must be said...
I arrived in La Faba with sore feet, drenched in rain, and needed a place to stay because I wasn't going to make O'cebreiro. I ended up 1st at the albergue La Faba. The place had no internet, and I felt uncomfortable in general staying there as they were not the most hospitable or friendly people. I set out to find another place. Casa El Arbol had wonderful reviews!!!! So I stopped in. Ate some food, talked with the bartender and asked if they had available rooms. She said yes, then the owner (Jose) came out. Offered me and a friend shots of tequila. We said sure very excitedly. Asked where I was staying, and handed me 5 euro to leave that place and come stay there. I took the offer not thinking anything but this person is being generous and hospitable (that seemed to follow up with the reviews)!! Later on after I settle in and have showered. I go down to enjoy some more food and wine. Jose sits down at my table with 2 glasses and a nice bottle of wine. He thanks me for staying with him tonight and wants me to have a special dinner with him and his friends. I began to think this all seemed strange especially after taking down my info he uses my number to message me on what's app. His messages seemed flirty so before assuming anything I asked about his wife that people mentioned in there reviews. He tells me he is not married, and would he be spending time with me if he was married. By this point it was 9 I am uncomfortable, but where was I going to go in the woods, the restaurant was closed, Jose and his friends were just hanging out partying and making food. This all seemed fine(strange) but I was going to make the most of it as an experience. While this is going on he continues to message me saying I don't need to talk about my boyfriend because tonight is about us. He also said what happens on the way stays on the way... I started to become very uncomfortable and said I was going to bed. He asked if he could come say goodnight later. I said NO! This was around 1am. At 2am Jose comes into my locked room. He wakes me up startled and asks again to stay with me. I said NO. He leaves a water bottle next to my bed. At 4am. He comes in again asking to stay and lay next to me. He begins to hug me and I push away saying NO 3 different times before he finally leaves. My heart racing I can't sleep. I leave around 630 and run (literally run) to O'cebreiro. I obviously know that none of the reviews would seem like this would be possible. I am writing this review because this was my experience and I dont want to be silent about it. I would hate for anyone else to go through an uncomfortable situation like this. Being a solo female is not easy a lot of the time you are at your most vulnerable state. Just because we are polite, out-going, fun, and respectful of different cultures doesn't and shouldn't make us easy prey

Lindsay I am really sorry to read this. Well done for telling about it here. Now please, please if you can, report this incident to the police. Ask the hospitalero/a where you are staying now for help, or another woman pilgrim. The police do want women to report incidents and they do take action. What you have described is assault, and would be taken seriously.

Good luck, and thank you for your courage in describing your experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lindsay, please do report this to the police. My times on the Camino have also been as a solo female pilgrim, and I would have been very afraid and felt trapped in a dangerous situation if it dawned on me that this guy was acting creepily. And, as you say, where else were you going to go?

I can imagine you might still feel very shaken-up - even after a few days, weeks, and months - so please do talk about the incident with people you trust both now and later.

Take care and hope the rest of the Camino is healing and joyful.
Faith

Lindsay, I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. Well done on how you handled the situation and stayed safe. I hope you're OK and that you've been able to talk to others about it.

I agree that this type of incident should be reported to the police - hopefully someone can help you to do that. Wishing you peace and strength as you continue your journey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lindsay, I am reading the reviews of Casa el Arbol, and they are all so glorious, the next thing to heaven. And then this happens. Well done for standing your ground and telling your story, that takes courage, and with all these glowing review even more. Please report this to the police. What you describe is not someone who was drunk, made a sad mistake and is upset about it too - this was planned during the evening and the night by someone who does not respect that NO means NO.
This also makes me wonder if you were the only one to whom that has happened.

Damn those reviews! If it had been for those and the mentions of J's wonderful hospitality blablabla, your warning voice would have probably made you leave at the first sight of those two glasses.

I hope the rest of your Camino is good and please come back to the forum to share whenever you feel the need.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum, Lindsay.
@Lindsay Brown
Thank you for posting here in the forum. This is a very disturbing first post.

It is important to report this as soon as possible. The Guardia Civil needs to have this on the record so that they can keep an eye on this guy. It will be a very important factor if the receive any future reports .....or if there is a past record of this type of thing.

Sorry you had to experience this on what should be one of your most y
Joyous experiences.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The association that runs the German albergue in La Faba is aware of the incident, and will be taking action on its Forum to inform pilgrims. Its Vice President posted here, but ran afoul of the Forum rules, and the post was deleted. It was a boldly worded post and may have lost some subtlety as an English-as-second-language or cultural differences. However, the relevant part of that post is that the German Confraternity is aware of the incident, and that is a good thing. That albergue is "old school" and quite welcoming. It has no wifi, but has a fantastic communal meal. It makes many "do not miss" lists on the Forum, and I personally recommend it highly. You will have to patronize the bar in the original post in order to get wifi. It will be your choice to commercially support that business!!:)

If you have a data SIM chip, you won't need wifi; the cell reception was fine when I was there last. An alcoholic beverage, on the other hand, can be found at the third albergue/bar El Refugio with its vegetarian menu (and possibly wifi).

Please note that the association in charge of the Albergue in LaFabra (see Falcon's post above) has posted a response to the OP's remark that the albergue was "unwelcoming". The post was deleted as it contained direct personal attacks on the OP and her actions. This is a violation of the forum rules.

The manager of the association has now reposted the same post after being requested to rewrite it without the personal remarks. It also has been deleted.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the La Faba albergue and found the place to be OK with a special church service thrown in to boot.
Lyndsey, it is unfortunate that you had to suffer this unwanted attention. You need to keep your antenna working overtime to ensure your good nature isn't taken advantage of. If someone offers you a fiver to switch albergues, I think this would come under the heading of "if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't kosher!"

I am very sorry to hear that this happened, Lindsay.
And will join the chorus of people saying save the texts and report the incident ASAP.
Get help from the hospi where you are, if you need that.

(And an aside - I loved the German albergue at La Faba. The lack of WiFi was actually a plus, and the people were very welcoming. It's a pity you found the place on a 'bad day.')

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.