• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women specific backpacks?

C

Camino Chris

I am in the process of researching backpacks as I plan to purchase a new one for my spring Camino. I've decided on the popular Osprey, as they carry gender specific sizing and am hoping to get a good fit.

For my last two Caminos I have borrowed my son's Osprey Atmos 25, size men's medium. It's a great sturdy pack, but not quite roomy enough to hold all my stuff and I'm tired of having to cram everything in so tightly. It's also not the best fit for me either. I am now considering either the Osprey Sirrus 36 or the Kyte 36, which are both made specifically for women. I may have to order online as there are no gear stores in my area to check them out first.

Have any of you ladies used the Osprey women specific packs? If so, do you prefer the fit to other generic sized packs?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have several backpacks in different sizes, none of them is specifically made for women. The most important thing is the fit and that can work sometimes also "across gender". Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Idem like @C clearly and @SYates wrote.

My first one was a Gregory and this was so called woman fit but it felt less good on my back than my current one and that is the Osprey Talon 33. This one just fits me perfectly . And I like the simplicity of this Osprey, not too many sidepockets etc.
And it does not always have to be an expensive brand : if you have Decathlon in the USA they sell there own brand of backpacks and they are quite decent.

I am in the process of researching backpacks as I plan to purchase a new one for my spring Camino. I've decided on the popular Osprey, as they carry gender specific sizing and am hoping to get a good fit.

For my last two Caminos I have borrowed my son's Osprey Atmos 25, size men's medium. It's a great sturdy pack, but not quite roomy enough to hold all my stuff and I'm tired of having to cram everything in so tightly. It's also not the best fit for me either. I am now considering either the Osprey Sirrus 36 or the Kyte 36, which are both made specifically for women. I may have to order online as there are no gear stores in my area to check them out first.

Have any of you ladies used the Osprey women specific packs? If so, do you prefer the fit to other generic sized packs?
No, I used Aarn made in New Zealand. Compact and light.

I use an Osprey Talon 33. It isn't labelled for women, but the smaller size is just right for me. I don't know about you, but the shape of my body that is in contact with my backpack is not what I'd call women-specific.
I still like to think my shape is women specific, but my body seems to be morphing into "something else" with each passing year. ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Idem like @C clearly and @SYates wrote.

My first one was a Gregory and this was so called woman fit but it felt less good on my back than my current one and that is the Osprey Talon 33. This one just fits me perfectly . And I like the simplicity of this Osprey, not too many sidepockets etc.
And it does not always have to be an expensive brand : if you have Decathlon in the USA they sell there own brand of backpacks and they are quite decent.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

I would suggest getting both from a retailer that offers free returns, compare them and send back one or both. Also the Sirrus is really not that different from the Atmos - same ventilated back, but no mesh pocket at the back - and the Kestrel is an unnecessarily heavy version of the Talon/Tempest model, so you might want to try that instead? If you like a Talon and it feels too flimsy, go for the Kestrel. I happen to know that he biggest size Tempest, S/M, is very similar to the smaller size Talon, same back length, slightly wider hipbelt (why??) than the women's version, and the harness is not very different either. (My new mix'n'match Talon/Tempest pack Bob is made from a M/L size Talon, which has a much wider hipbelt, bigger harness and longer back and might not fit smaller women.) Nothing beats trying them on over a few hours with weight in them, but if you can't spend the day in a shop, the shop will have to come to you. As long as you can return them if they don't fit.

I would suggest getting both from a retailer that offers free returns, compare them and send back one or both. Also the Sirrus is really not that different from the Atmos - same ventilated back, but no mesh pocket at the back - and the Kestrel is an unnecessarily heavy version of the Talon/Tempest model, so you might want to try that instead? If you like a Talon and it feels too flimsy, go for the Kestrel. I happen to know that he biggest size Tempest, S/M, is very similar to the smaller size Talon, same back length, slightly wider hipbelt (why??) than the women's version, and the harness is not very different either. (My new mix'n'match Talon/Tempest pack Bob is made from a M/L size Talon, which has a much wider hipbelt, bigger harness and longer back and might not fit smaller women.) Nothing beats trying them on over a few hours with weight in them, but if you can't spend the day in a shop, the shop will have to come to you. As long as you can return them if they don't fit.
Good idea, order two and hopefully only send one back!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used a Lowe Women's Trail 32 on the CF in 2014, and have now changed to a Lowe Alpine ND 33:40. I love the adjustable back in both of them, as my back length is just 41 cm and most standard backpacks are too long for me. I also found the Airzone padding to be very comfortable, especially on hot days.
Whatever you take: buen camino!
Andante

Hi Chris, After lugging our 65L backpacks on the Frances, my husband and I came home and began sifting through a lot of backpacks. We each bought, tried on, and returned about 15 backpacks each of all makes and sizes until we decided on the Osprey Kestrel 48 for my hubby and the Osprey Kestrel 38 for me. Nice backs, we chose them so we have a place for our secondary footwear to be stored without out contaminating our clothes with dirt and smell. If you want something really lightweight and not needing that compartment, my hubby loved the Osprey Exos as did I but we wanted the rain cover and seperate compartment.

I used a Lowe Women's Trail 32 on the CF in 2014, and have now changed to a Lowe Alpine ND 33:40. I love the adjustable back in both of them, as my back length is just 41 cm and most standard backpacks are too long for me. I also found the Airzone padding to be very comfortable, especially on hot days.
Andante
Thank you! I can't quickly follow your centimeter lengths as my brain only relates to inches and feet, being from the USA! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris, After lugging our 65L backpacks on the Frances, my husband and I came home and began sifting through a lot of backpacks. We each bought, tried on, and returned about 15 backpacks each of all makes and sizes until we decided on the Osprey Kestrel 48 for my hubby and the Osprey Kestrel 38 for me. Nice backs, we chose them so we have a place for our secondary footwear to be stored without out contaminating our clothes with dirt and smell. If you want something really lightweight and not needing that compartment, my hubby loved the Osprey Exos as did I but we wanted the rain cover and seperate compartment.
My daughter in law just purchased the Exos and loves it, but I haven't seen it yet. I believe the Kyte is the women's version of the Kestrel. You make a good point for considering that model! Thanks.

My daughter in law just purchased the Exos and loves it, but I haven't seen it yet. I believe the Kyte is the women's version of the Kestrel. You make a good point for considering that model! Thanks.
My husband absolutely loved the Exos but it had no rain cover or compartment separation. He was not a happy camper about sending it back.

My husband absolutely loved the Exos but it had no rain cover or compartment separation. He was not a happy camper about sending it back.
My daughter in law has never owned a backpack before so hopefully "she won't miss what she don't know". I always line my pack with a trash compactor bag anyway, so the rain cover isn't quite as important, although they can be purchased separately.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Andante
I have also used a Lowe Alpine pack for my two caminos - the ND Airzone Trek 35 litres. I find it very comfortable and just the right size. Fits everything I need to carry and fine for aircraft carry-on luggage. It's still going strong, just rather faded on the lid from the strong spanish sun!
PS When chosing a pack four years ago I was very tempted by an Osprey pack, it was very light and also seemed comfortable. I think I went with the Lowe Alpine in the end based on apparent durability, slightly better fit for me, the integrated rain cover and...yes...the colour! Lowe pack a mid green, whereas the Osprey was something more lurid - tourquoise? magenta? Can't quite recall.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked with the Sirrus 36 last year and it was perfect in fit and size. The owner/designer of Osprey happens to be an old friend of mine and he tells me that this pack is currently being re-designed. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was hard to reach and replace a water bottle from the side pockets, but no big deal. Many people use the Kyte, which has even a simpler design (no front zipper, which I didn't use much, anyway) and it looks great.

I highly recommend Osprey packs. Where do you live that you can't find one to try on?

Love my Osprey Mira 36 (really a 32 in small). The weight transferred to the hips make the weight seem to disappear. And I like all the compartments so I stay organized.

I have the Kyte and use it in the winter or for trips with pack transport. It's a beefier pack but oh, so very comfortable. It would be overkill for me in the summer. I'm taking it on a winter trip shortly, though. I have been drooling over the Marmot Graviton so it's nice to see some positive reviews. Sadly, it is not purple.

Nidarosa, it never dawned on me to mix/match bits and pieces of old packs. Brilliant! :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Speaking with over 20 years of wilderness backpacking experience I can say I most definitely prefer the women's specific packs. I started backpacking in my early 20s with a generic pack. My first women's pack was a Dana Designs (Now Mystery Ranch) which allowed me to have hip belt and shoulder straps that were sized to my small frame. I'm 5'3 but I was very slim. I plan to use my Osprey Kyte for my Camino. The differences between the men's/unisex and women's is pretty clear. My husband put on my pack and immediately felt uncomfortable (aside from the length being off) because the hip belt is designed for a female hip. Same thing with the shoulder strap. I put on some unisex ones for the fun of it and the shoulder straps were too wide and didn't curve where I was used to. I won't go back to unisex packs after having backpacked miles in mountainous terrain with a pack that moved with me. But that's me. Every woman's body is different and you won't know what you really like until you wear one and hike with a load. I'd recommend a minimum of 5 miles with varied terrain and a full load.

I walked with the Sirrus 36 last year and it was perfect in fit and size. The owner/designer of Osprey happens to be an old friend of mine and he tells me that this pack is currently being re-designed. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was hard to reach and replace a water bottle from the side pockets, but no big deal. Many people use the Kyte, which has even a simpler design (no front zipper, which I didn't use much, anyway) and it looks great.

I highly recommend Osprey packs. Where do you live that you can't find one to try on?
Osprey is a great company. We have 3 or 4 packs in the house and they are all great. I just wish that the hip pockets on the women's models were large enough for a smartphone. They are too tiny!

My iPhone 6S fits in the mesh hip pockets of all my Osprey packs. No case, though. Which explains the cracked corner.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Speaking with over 20 years of wilderness backpacking experience I can say I most definitely prefer the women's specific packs. I started backpacking in my early 20s with a generic pack. My first women's pack was a Dana Designs (Now Mystery Ranch) which allowed me to have hip belt and shoulder straps that were sized to my small frame. I'm 5'3 but I was very slim. I plan to use my Osprey Kyte for my Camino. The differences between the men's/unisex and women's is pretty clear. My husband put on my pack and immediately felt uncomfortable (aside from the length being off) because the hip belt is designed for a female hip. Same thing with the shoulder strap. I put on some unisex ones for the fun of it and the shoulder straps were too wide and didn't curve where I was used to. I won't go back to unisex packs after having backpacked miles in mountainous terrain with a pack that moved with me. But that's me. Every woman's body is different and you won't know what you really like until you wear one and hike with a load. I'd recommend a minimum of 5 miles with varied terrain and a full load.
Thank you for the detailed response from your own experience. I'm hoping one of the female versions will work as well for me, too.

You may want to check out the Osprey Tempest 30 and 40, too. I love the 20 for day hikes, fits great, uber lightweight. Top loaders, though. The 40 does have a sleeping bag compartment on the bottom, which I use for shoes and rain gear. Bag goes in the top to stay clean.

My iPhone 6S fits in the mesh hip pockets of all my Osprey packs. No case, though. Which explains the cracked corner.
Oh, yeah. I have an Otter Box case on mine. I can't imagine having no case on my iPhone. I drop it at least once a week :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014EC0ILU/?tag=casaivar02-20

This is the one I just got moving down from an Osprey 65L. I moved down to the Osprey 38 Kestrel, not the Kyte, my hubby got the Kestrel 48. Since we pack our sleeping bags inside our pack we use the sleeping bag compartment for our other foot wear and items. Plus it comes with a rain cover. I am 5'3''.

Thank you! I can't quickly follow your centimeter lengths as my brain only relates to inches and feet, being from the USA! :)
Hi Chris,
sorry, I forgot you're on imperial measures! 41 cm is a little more than 16 inches.

Andante

I have also used a Lowe Alpine pack for my two caminos - the ND Airzone Trek 35 litres. I find it very comfortable and just the right size. Fits everything I need to carry and fine for aircraft carry-on luggage. It's still going strong, just rather faded on the lid from the strong spanish sun!
PS When chosing a pack four years ago I was very tempted by an Osprey pack, it was very light and also seemed comfortable. I think I went with the Lowe Alpine in the end based on apparent durability, slightly better fit for me, the integrated rain cover and...yes...the colour! Lowe pack a mid green, whereas the Osprey was something more lurid - tourquoise? magenta? Can't quite recall.

Hi Elizabeth,
I think that's the same one I have now, maybe a little updated. It's called Trek+ ND 33:40 now. I would have loved it in mid green! But in Europe they just sell it in this lurid turquoise and black. (I wonder why Lowe and Osprey choose this odd turquoise colour?) I took the black one. My older Lowe was also black and didn't show any signs of sun damage. It is like new still, but only has one single compartment. So I am going to sell it. I wanted to have the separate sleeping bag compartment and the hidden front zip that the new Trek+ has. So much easier to pack in the mornings!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Andante,
I have to correct myself, went and actually checked my pack for its model - not as I described above it is in fact the Airzone Quest ND30. So a little smaller at 30 litres. The green is lovely (catalogue calls it 'guacamole'!). It doesn't have a separate sleeping bag compartment, rather a semi-circular zip low on one side where you can access the sleeping bag directly. Despite its rather weather worn appearance I still like it very much and I am planning to take it as my daypack on this year's adventure - the trek up Mt Kilimanjaro.

The Aarn is amazing and opens out like a suit case rather than digging into the depths or trad back pack . Fits your body and back with comfort

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Osprey is not the only market for gender specific packs. I walked three Camino with Osprey Kyte, but found better fitting, lighter packs since by Deuter and Kelty. I walked last year with the Kelty Redwing 40, only packed 3/4 full and will be taking this year, but considering a really nice fitting Deuter for next year.

I actually just bought my pack on Saturday. Years ago I trained with a Kelty Coyote but I knew that was too much for the CF which I am FINALLY doing in May. My advice is to physically go to your nearest Cabela's or REI and try on packs with weight in them. I spent literally an hour trying on many brands. Naturally I wanted something feminine too. I've had a spinal curvature since I was 12 so it was important to me to see how each pack and brand would feel with weight in the actually ON my person.

I went through every woman's pack. They hurt within minutes of being on my back. even with all straps adjusted properly. If they hurt in the store with five pounds of sand bag and a pillow, I can't imagine what walking my first stage with real gear would be like. Also I have DD breasts so the shoulder traps cut into my neck. No one wants a chaffed neck when foot blisters and sunburns are in my future. Turns out that the women's REI 40L daypack felt right, instantly once I had all the traps adjusted for my frame thanks to the sales associate. At REI they let you walk around the store wearing it. So maybe I could have gotten a better deal online but I saved myself time and frustration. It didn't come with a hydration bag but having trained with a camelbak in my Kelty, caring 2 liters of water on my back was too much and the pack that was right for me has pockets on the side large enough for 24 oz which will be ample except maybe for the Meseta stage which I don't plan to skip but I can buy what I need there

caring 2 liters of water on my back was too much and the pack that was right for me has pockets on the side large enough for 24 oz which will be ample
It's not necessary to fill the hydration bladder. I have a 2 liter one, but I usually don't put more than a liter in it. And whether it's in a hydration bladder or in a bottle in a side pocket, it's still on your back. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife loves her Kyte 46. It fits in the overhead on most planes and the water bladder goes between the suspension system and the back pack so you don't have to do any unpacking to unload it. It has a sleeping bag compartment that her REI Helio Down 30 fits into, side AND top access to the main compartment and once fitted to her by the guy at REI, it fit is very comfortable for her. She is 5 foot tall and 113 pounds...

Her's is the XS/S size. The guys at REI measure your back size before helping you pick the right pack. The Kyte has a couple of inches of adjustability for back size. If you can't get to an REI, there is an Osprey youtube video that shows you how to measure your back correctly...

Osprey Fitting Guide

Last edited:
Tried on several backpacks in a store. At the end, bought a backpack that was nót specifically for a woman. Turns out I have quiet a long back, according to the store employee who helped me. I’m 1.67m long so I thought I was avarage. Was wrong there ;)

I always have a problem with women's packs because the hip belts are usually sized for slender people and I am definitely not, so the padded part doesn't come around to where it needs to be for comfort. But I have a short back so the men's packs which usually have more substantial and longer hip belts are far too long to sit comfortably on my back. I can't find a manufacturer which makes different length hip belts, does anyone know of one?

I always have a problem with women's packs because the hip belts are usually sized for slender people and I am definitely not, so the padded part doesn't come around to where it needs to be for comfort. But I have a short back so the men's packs which usually have more substantial and longer hip belts are far too long to sit comfortably on my back. I can't find a manufacturer which makes different length hip belts, does anyone know of one?
Gossamer Gear make lightweight backpacks that are designed so that the hip belt can be removed and interchanged within much of their range, one of the benefits of this is that they also make different length hip belts. They are an American producer of hiking gear and will ship internationally however I sadly found the costs involved in shipping to me in Ireland to be prohibitive.

Gossamer Gear make lightweight backpacks that are designed so that the hip belt can be removed and interchanged within much of their range, one of the benefits of this is that they also make different length hip belts. They are an American producer of hiking gear and will ship internationally however I sadly found the costs involved in shipping to me in Ireland to be prohibitive.
Same here, I'm in England and by the time you have to pay post, duty and VAT it can nearly double the price. Gossamer don't do a short back length fitting which means theirs will almost certainly not work for me. I've found ZPacks who make a version designed for small women and young people which looks very good, but the price is eye-watering before you get into post etc.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.