• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women walking solo

Bridin Ní Cheallaigh

Galway Girl.
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on walking the Camino in July/August 2017
I am planning on walking the Camino Frances in July/Aug 2017 (no dates confirmed yet) starting at Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port to Burgos (hopefully) I am going as a solo walker but I am very nervous about the whole experience and would love to meet up with someone else that's in the same boat as me and maybe we could walk together. I'm curious to hear the thought of women who walked this route alone etc.

Thanks. x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've always arrived alone and ended my walk with lifelong friends. It will naturally happen if you are friendly and open to it. July/August, you will have no problem meeting people! I remember worrying about this my first time and I found after day one I worried for nothing. The hard part will be leaving your Camino friends (family) in Burgos! I did that in Leon and I couldn't believe how attached I became with them in such a short period of time. Very special relationships form on the Camino and I'm sure you will find this too. Buen Camino!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning on walking the Camino Frances in July/Aug 2017 (no dates confirmed yet) starting at Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port to Burgos (hopefully) I am going as a solo walker but I am very nervous about the whole experience and would love to meet up with someone else that's in the same boat as me and maybe we could walk together. I'm curious to hear the thought of women who walked this route alone etc.

Thanks. x

There is a Facebook group called Camigas https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaminoBuddySystemForWomen/ Lots of support and suggestions and possible walking partners.

I highly recommend walking solo! On the Camino, you will have all the advantages of experiencing your environment and making your own decisions by yourself, but will have constant opportunities to socialize, too. I advise not trying to set up a walking partner ahead of time. What if it doesn't work out? Best to let these relationships evolve naturally on the path.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would venture a guess that at least 30% of the pilgrims on the CF are women walking solo.

I agree about not trying to set up a walking partner ahead of time - just go with the flow and see how things unfold. I think it would be really hard to make a plan to walk with someone I didn't really know well and hadn't trained with and traveled with already. There are so many things that may not match up - desired daily distance, stride, desired type of accommodation, thoughts on rest days, will you slow down for each other in case of injury or illness? My husband and I walked together and it worked out great for us, but we walk together all the time and have traveled together for years - we've got the kinks worked out.

I appreciated reading these responses. I will also be doing my first Camino this year (June/July) and walking solo. I'm so excited but very nervous, too. I worry most about not finding a bed each night - at 53 years old (I'll turn 54 a few days into my walk), I'm not sure I'm ready to sleep under the stars alone in an unfamiliar place!

Really love this forum and look forward to interacting with everyone!

I appreciated reading these responses. I will also be doing my first Camino this year (June/July) and walking solo. I'm so excited but very nervous, too. I worry most about not finding a bed each night - at 53 years old (I'll turn 54 a few days into my walk), I'm not sure I'm ready to sleep under the stars alone in an unfamiliar place!

I've got over 120 nights on the Camino, and never had to camp out under the stars. I always found room at the inn. Don't sweat it.
ultreia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks. x
You will meet others quickly - don't stress you will make it worse and this is meant to be a really fun time preparing for your Camino. Once you get there you will realise your worries were in vain.
Buen Camino.

The great thing about walking alone is that you can walk with others when it suits you, but you aren't "stuck" walking with someone who you find you don't get along with, walks a different pace, doesn't want to walk the same distances, needs more/less rest days, etc. Don't obligate yourself to someone before you even start!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks. x
Just got back from Camino in March and saw more solo female hikers than men. Depending on how social you want to be, you'll have no problem meeting other hikers on a daily basis. In fact, in July/August you'll probably have to go out of your way to be alone! If someone or something is making you feel awkward don't hesitate to split from that situation and seek out company in a larger group or with a friendly couple. I met some really wonderful people every day. Be safe and have a great time!

Also my first Camino. Is there still a lot of people on the road in the time from August-September?
Rentia, that will probably be a very good time to walk for being around others. I've walked it Sept/October and May/June, and although people here are sometimes fond of telling others "there will be a parade of walkers all the way to Santiago and you'll have trouble finding any solitude", I did not find that to be the case at all. There were a number of days when I walked hours without seeing any other hikers, but I made "mistakes" in that I did a couple of bus-aheads and wasn't comfortable about committing to walking permanently with any one person or couple of people, and also didn't stay in albergues every night. Still, there were others that I kept in contact with the entire way by messaging, which gave a nice sense of connection. Exchange contact information with others that you feel comfortable with so you can reconnect on the road ahead, maybe stay in larger albergues to make contacts and have others to start the day's hike among, and be careful about side-trips/sightseeing and bus-aheads because it's easy to lose your cohort that way (if your goal is to stay among others). Buen Camino to you!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi JulieLC. I walked solo on my first Camino last Spring (SJPdP to Santiago). I am 60, had plenty of time, and I knew I didn't want to walk really long days. I also knew I didn't want to stress out about getting a bed and feel that I couldn't make frequent rest stops for coffee, snacks, etc. It worked REALLY well for me to call ahead each day (usually late morning/noonish) to a private Albergue (only around 10-12 Euros) and book a bed for the following night. I speak almost no Spanish but "Por favor, quisiera una cama para manana" worked great and I never had a problem booking one day ahead. Doing this allowed me to walk out in the morning, stress free, knowing I had a place for the evening, and stop to recharge whenever I wanted. I never felt like I'd lost my flexibility, either. The few times I ended up changing my mind, I just called and canceled. They were grateful I bothered to call! You are going to have an amazing time....Buen Camino!

I walked alone as a woman from SJdP to Santiago de Compostela from middle August to end of September last year. I usually saw people in front of me and behind me, and especially over weekends and after Sarria there were many. I made a point of taking photos in which other pilgrims were visible, so that my husband at home wouldn't worry about me "being alone". I never felt unsafe, even when occasionally I could not see other pilgrims (e.g. in wooded areas). I often walked along with other people whom I met along the road, and we would strike up conversations. Those people would then be around for a couple of days until I took a rest day, and then I found other "new ones" to chat with. But I enjoyed the quiet walks on my own most, because then I had the time to look at the environment and really see things. While talking with someone else I found that I was concentrating on the conversation and did not see the surroundings. So, one does have a choice, and even up to the end of September "being alone" will not be your problem.

Thanks. x

Read your local paper this week Bridin , the crimes you read about will not be present on your walk to Burgos.

My standard reply. I'd rather a daughter of mine walk alone on the camino frances than with a group of friends down most streets in my home country. Is it "safe" from any risk of danger? No. Nothing in life is, unfortunately, especially for women. But the camino frances is safer, especially that type of year, than those of us from north america can easily imagine until we've experienced it

Hi JulieLC. I walked solo on my first Camino last Spring (SJPdP to Santiago). I am 60, had plenty of time, and I knew I didn't want to walk really long days. I also knew I didn't want to stress out about getting a bed and feel that I couldn't make frequent rest stops for coffee, snacks, etc. It worked REALLY well for me to call ahead each day (usually late morning/noonish) to a private Albergue (only around 10-12 Euros) and book a bed for the following night. I speak almost no Spanish but "Por favor, quisiera una cama para manana" worked great and I never had a problem booking one day ahead. Doing this allowed me to walk out in the morning, stress free, knowing I had a place for the evening, and stop to recharge whenever I wanted. I never felt like I'd lost my flexibility, either. The few times I ended up changing my mind, I just called and canceled. They were grateful I bothered to call! You are going to have an amazing time....Buen Camino!

Thank you, Lisa. This is so helpful. So you could just reserve by calling? You paid when you arrived? I'm like you, I don't want to feel stress about it, or rushed. How many days did you take to do it, at the more leisurely pace you describe?

The great thing about walking alone is that you can walk with others when it suits you, but you aren't "stuck" walking with someone who you find you don't get along with, walks a different pace, doesn't want to walk the same distances, needs more/less rest days, etc. Don't obligate yourself to someone before you even start!

Totally agree....

Unless you are Married to them! Kinda have to then........... :oops:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks. x
Just wanted to say to you that uou really do meet good people that you connect with - I met one lady at the bus station on the way to SJJP and another at the alburgea and walked with both - this was just a few days ago. You will constantly meet new people so please, relax.

Just wanted to say to you that uou really do meet good people that you connect with - I met one lady at the bus station on the way to SJJP and another at the alburgea and walked with both - this was just a few days ago. You will constantly meet new people so please, relax.

Thank you. I have booked my flight etc heading out on the 8th Aug i am so happy that i am going now. Have relaxed alot about the whole thing. I'm sure i will enjoy it and make loads of new friends. Thanks for the kind words.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate and it makes me excited, but also there is a lot of butterflies on my stomach if I start thinking of it :) I started with my training programme too, walk to work (3km one way) and back. But need much more training than that. But at least...something is happening :)!!
I read someone said - the most stressful time of this walk is to get to the location and get over the mountain the first day at SJPP...so I take deep breaths so long.
I love this forum! Thank you for all the encouragements and good tips!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks. x

:D A more challenging question is : how can I be alone on the Camino :rolleyes:... especially in high season !

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.