• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women watch out - Groper between Sarria and Barbadelo

gemgemsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances June 9th (2016)
A few days ago as I was walking along the uphill forested path between Sarria and Barbadelo and was groped by a man on a quad bike.

He was driving down the trail as I was walking up. As it was quite narrow, I stopped walking and stepped to the side to allow him to pass. He surprised me by stopping the bike next to me. Not being in the mood for a chat at that moment, I started to continue walking and we exchanged small talk about the heat that day.

As I passed him he grabbed my butt, quite aggressively, then immediately started to drive away. Completely shocked I shouted a few choice words in English , then screamed after him in Spanish that I would call the police. He laughed while driving away.

I didn't end up making a police report as I didn't pass a car or station for a couple of days and to be honest, just wanted to forget it. A Camino friend encouraged me to make this post so other women might be forewarned. Should you see him, I suggest you try to keep walking or keep a wide berth if the trail is spacious enough. He was on a quad bike wearing a helmet, glasses and a bright orange tshirt. I'd estimate in he is in his forties.

I do want to add that I have hiked alone extensively in many countries and have never experienced anything like this before, which is probably why it came as such a shock. Additionally every pilgrim and local person I have met on the Camino over a month of walking has been extremely friendly. I did not and would not let this experience stop me continuing to walk solo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for posting.
In no way is that okay, I wonder what went through that man's head. I'm sorry you went through that.
It sounds like an odd place, I recall from my trip last fall something weird happening in the same area you just described- Just after Sarria. I was with my boyfriend at the time so I was relieved to have him there with me. A man was standing at the forested path and when he saw us pass by he turned around and began to follow us. He didn't greet and say hello as we passed, no smile or anything. We both had a weird feeling from him. We speed walked the hell out of there. I think sometimes walking closely with a group or even another person through certain sections of the trail is wise, it can feel quite secluded at times, where no town is in sight. Spreading the word about your experience is a smart thing to do.
I hope nothing of the sort happens to you again on the trail!

Stay safe, and happy travels.

A few days ago ...

I didn't end up making a police report as I didn't pass a car or station for a couple of days and to be honest, just wanted to forget it. ...

Please do still report it to the police. On a side note: Calling 112 will give you access to an operator that speaks English/connects you with an English speaker. No need to wait for seeing a police car or station. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you still are in Spain, I suggest reporting it.

I understand it has been extremely disagreeable and you just want to forget it the quickest you can, but silence is the best they (these criminals) can get.

We must take these people out of the Way and out of the normal society, and there's no better way to get it than reporting each and every crime we see or suffer.

Anyway, I hope this won't spoil your Camino experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in camino in may and i met the same guy. He drive near me and grapped my ass. Next village i saw civil guardian car and i told them what happened,the guardian was smiling. And he didnt speak so good English. He says thank you for telling and that was all. I let it be. But rest of camino i didnt walk alone in the early mornings.

A few days ago as I was walking along the uphill forested path between Sarria and Barbadelo and was groped by a man on a quad bike.

He was driving down the trail as I was walking up. As it was quite narrow, I stopped walking and stepped to the side to allow him to pass. He surprised me by stopping the bike next to me. Not being in the mood for a chat at that moment, I started to continue walking and we exchanged small talk about the heat that day.

As I passed him he grabbed my butt, quite aggressively, then immediately started to drive away. Completely shocked I shouted a few choice words in English , then screamed after him in Spanish that I would call the police. He laughed while driving away.

I didn't end up making a police report as I didn't pass a car or station for a couple of days and to be honest, just wanted to forget it. A Camino friend encouraged me to make this post so other women might be forewarned. Should you see him, I suggest you try to keep walking or keep a wide berth if the trail is spacious enough. He was on a quad bike wearing a helmet, glasses and a bright orange tshirt. I'd estimate in he is in his forties.

I do want to add that I have hiked alone extensively in many countries and have never experienced anything like this before, which is probably why it came as such a shock. Additionally every pilgrim and local person I have met on the Camino over a month of walking has been extremely friendly. I did not and would not let this experience stop me continuing to walk solo.

Hi! Sorry about that incident in the way, I apreciate you posted it. I'll be doing it on june 2017 alone, I hope not to meet such a stupid man!! Thanks and Ultreia!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has been like that for years. Like any country. Walk safely and not alone. Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has been like that for years. Like any country. Walk safely and not alone. Buen Camino.
@max44
What happened here is sexual assault, apparently more than once. It is definitely not good enough to say that this happens everywhere and that women will be safe if we do not walk alone. We must all actively oppose such behaviour, by reporting it to the police and to one another and by affirming that it is never acceptable. Many of us choose to walk alone. This is our right. We must act to defend ourselves and one another within the limits of the law and make sure that the authorities are aware of these events. The perpetrators rely on attitudes like yours and on the fact that the women who are assaulted may speak limited Spanish and, as pilgrims on the camino, are moving out of the area where the assault happened.
To these women: please file police reports and let the albergues in the area where you began your walk that day know that this has happened, so that women who are about to walk through the same area may have the option to choose to walk together. I noticed last year that the area where Denise Thiem had been murdered was heavily patrolled by police afterwards. More police presence might deter such behaviour. Be alert and do not accept that such assaults are inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe next time he is not satisfied only press somebodys ass.. Be carefully❤️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I gave workshops (ah! I was young then!), I always made sure that pilgrims had the 112 number handy-- it works on any telephone in Spain, and there are English-speaking operators standing by. The authorities are really very anxious to have reports as they can do little without them. Touching, such as gemgemsy reports, is a criminal offence in Spain. As much as one really wants to leave such things behind one, the perpetrator should not be allowed to keep on disturbing other pilgrims and reporting each and every time is our tool to help other pilgrims avoid them.

The same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago on the outskirts of Sarria before Barbedelo - quad bike, orange shirt, helmet. He grabbed my breast as he rode past me as I walked along a narrow bridge. What a pathetic twisted loser. I didn't report it - language, no phone. While I don't accept what happened, I didn't think anything would be done even if I did report it. So I didn't. Thanks for posting about it on here - again, I thought about doing so and now wish I had've done so.

Your response is really messed up Max44. It shows you have absolutely no comprehension of the situation. I wonder why you would bother responding at all actually, or why you're even reading this topic. Females can do without your advice. Cheers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please report. Every time. In writing to the highest relevant authority in the area. Otherwise nothing is done.
Kanga do you have any details who or how to report? I think figuring out the 'system' in a foreign country is half the obstacle in reporting it.

This is the easiest way - download the app onto your smartphone. I have, and I have registered.
For a report after you leave Spain, I would send a written complaint to the relevant Junta or Guardia - I'm sure one of our Spanish members can give better information.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Responsibility for policing in the countryside is the Guardia Civil. In small towns it is the Policia Local. In larger towns it is the Policia National. If I were on the camino and something happened and I could not arouse local help (as reported above) I'd contact my own consulate. They should have enough knowledge of the local law to know who and how to contact the relevant authorities. They won't be able to influence the outcome or give legal advice, but they should support me and help get some action. For example, see this UK Government website. In my experience it is the squeaky wheel that gets oiled.

The Ministerio del Interior nationally co-ordinates the Policia Local, the Policia National and the Guardia Civil and is the executive branch responsible for policing.

Kanga do you have any details who or how to report? I think figuring out the 'system' in a foreign country is half the obstacle in reporting it.

As Kanga notes, the app is very handy. If not, then 112. They have operators handy in over 30 languages and will get the relevant police force involved pronto. After the Denise Thiem tragedy, they have considerably stepped up policing on the Camino-- I have spoken with Guardia Civil in plainclothes and in uniform on the Camino (on bicycles) and they are anxious to provide support.

Thank you for the all the supportive comments. I am grateful for this forum as clearly this is a pattern of behavior from the same man. I am going to download the referenced app right now and make a report. @MiraN and @katie@camino perhaps you can do the same? If the police receive multiple reports within a few days they may be more inclined to act, unlike the officer you met on the way MiraN :-(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Quick update... I downloaded the app and registered but never received the verification code to my phone. I called Guarda Civil in Sarria and tried - in my limited Spanish - to make a report. The guy told me that I couldn't make a report over the phone now that I had left the country, he advised I called the police or my embassy. I couldn't follow everything he was saying but that's what I took away from it. I think he said he would speak to someone who covers the Barbadelo area, perhaps to give them a heads up, but I didn't fully understand that part. I will call the British embassy tomorrow.

It might be helpful for others to call the Guarda Civil in Sarria anyway. Even if they can't make a report, if they receive a few calls they might at least increase their patrols in that area. The number is +34 982 530 474 . While we struggled with language and he ultimately couldn't do anything, the person I spoke to was very friendly, helpful and understanding.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back