• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Womenly Problems..?

clashed137

I am planning my first pilgrimage ever! Yay! Was wondering about some practicalities... mainly any advice on how women walking 30+ day long pilgrimages deal with their monthlies...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not to worry. I am approaching menopause and as a result my monthlies have been weeklies on the camino. Tampons are adequate and readily available at the farmacias. Not cheap, mind you but suficiente. Now that I am back in Canada, I have these lovely spanish souvineers that will not collect dust. And to reiterate... not to worry. Buen camino.

Monthlies happen here the same as they happen anywhere else, and are dealt-with in the same way. Just please, please PLEASE DO NOT dispose of your used tampons and pads out on the trail, in nature. Even when you hide them under bushes, animals find them, or the wind catches them, and they end up out on the trail in plain sight.

Other people frankly do not want to see that. And Somebody´s gotta pick it up and throw it away!

Like all other litter, this trash belongs only in a proper trash container.

Sermon finished. Sorry. This is a pet peeve of mine!
Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Have you considered manipulating the timing of your "monthlies" using a contraceptive pill? I have done so to ensure it happens only once during my Camino. Also, when the time came, I only took four of the seven "blank" tablets to reduce the number of days of my period. You can also skip it entirely if you prefer. The pamphlet accompanying the pills usually explains how.

BUT, please consult with your doctor if in doubt .

D

Mooncups - see their website. I did the camino and then a round the world trip and never once bought any tampons or pads. But get accustomed to it before you set out.

notion900 said:
Mooncups - see their website. I did the camino and then a round the world trip and never once bought any tampons or pads. But get accustomed to it before you set out.
I just read that and had to join: any sort of menstrual cups (such as Mooncups, Ladycups,... whatever brand you choose) will do : reusable, no waste, more hygienic and more dependable. There's a chance you won't even want to use anything else once home :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm a little familiar with the moon cups etc. from going to a women's college (sometimes it's amazing the conversations and info sessions you'll walk into), so I understand their general use, but for those of you who use things like the diva cup and other, what do you do about cleaning on the trail and in the albergues?

For those of you who have used more conventional methods, what have you done about supply and disposal? They don't weigh that much but it is an extra thing to carry, keep dry, and dispose of properly without accidents (I can't even imagine the scene if I put a used one in a plastic bag and the bag broke inside my pack).

Any little tricks or advice for either method?

Don't worry there are a well stocked pharmacies in even the smallest of Spanish towns so getting sanitary products is not an issue. I used a sturdy ziplock sandwich bags to carry waste and disposed of this in next bar or cafe we used.
N

etoilepolaire said:
I'm a little familiar with the moon cups etc. from going to a women's college (sometimes it's amazing the conversations and info sessions you'll walk into), so I understand their general use, but for those of you who use things like the diva cup and other, what do you do about cleaning on the trail and in the albergues?
(+++ for the amazing conversations...; :lol: :wink: )
several possibilities for that :
- if on the trail, behind a bush: using your water bottle to rince it makes it perfectly
- if in a public toilet, without immediate access to water : cleaning it will toilet paper will do till you can have access to water
- in the albergues: changing + cleaning it when in the shower
the main thing is just making sure one's hands are clean (for example by doing the bush thing as soon as possible after passing through a village with water fountain)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FrenchGwen said:
(+++ for the amazing conversations...; :lol: :wink: )
(haha yeah there's really nothing like it. A bit of a shock to come back into the co-ed world after that)

FrenchGwen said:
several possibilities for that :
- if on the trail, behind a bush: using your water bottle to rinse it makes it perfectly
One question about this and maybe it's a silly one considering these are already places where we'll be performing our unmentionables, but is there any issue with contamination etc.? It is blood after all. Is there any reason to really worry about that versus any of the other necessary waste?

Nelle

If you go to the diva cup or moon cup websites they have FAQ sections to address many of the questions here....

im also considering going to see my doctor about stopping it altogther , because when at work i need to change sometimes every hour so when walking 20-30Km everyday what will that do? not to mention the cramps ,bloating, back aches etc im almost afraid to go in case she says no :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
im also considering going to see my doctor about stopping it altogther , because when at work i need to change sometimes every hour so when walking 20-30Km everyday what will that do? not to mention the cramps ,bloating, back aches etc im almost afraid to go in case she says no :(
You poor thing, sounds like you should go to the doctor anyway. There is a special pain killer that is specific to cramping pain, Mefanemic Acid (Ponstan), ask the Dr. Or get hormones?

Thanks Notion900, i plan on swallowing NSAIDS like candy lol ( ive been on Naproxen, not sure if what you recomended is any better or worse?) if she refuses to let me stop it all together, ill have no choice. i just worry about leakage and bathroom stops etc im sure you get it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.