• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Womens' issues while walking

Kali

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk May (2014)
Hi All,

I am walking the Camino for the first time in June. I'll be taking the French Way. I read a few threads about women on their periods while on the Camino, and I found them to be helpful about knowing where to buy products, etc. But my biggest worry is about the privacy of having to change any sanitary products or even relieving ones self while walking the trail. Is there usually enough cover on the side of the trails for a woman to do her business? Are their obvious places to use in the towns while passing through? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter as this will be my first time traveling outside of the US and am unfamiliar with hiking in public areas while menstruating or needing to use the bathroom.

Cheers,

Kali

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really would not worry about it as there are bars/cafe's/restaurants/bakeries within a few km of each other. There is 1 stretch of about 17km with nothing, but with a bit of planning that should not be an issue. You'll find some places without toilet paper, so carrying a roll of TP is smart (Sadly, I think some places have given up on providing toilet paper as inconsiderate pilgrims take the roll with them - discussed elsewhere on this forum.)
I bring TP, and whatever else I need in a little pack cube that I can easily take out from my backpack. It has a handle, so can be hung on the doorhandle or the empty TP holder

If you need to use the great outdoors for whatever reason, being discrete goes a long way, which is easier in areas where there are trees... That being said, I have seen people clearly visible from the path, and then it becomes the turn for those of us walking by to be discreet and avert our eyes. -And obviously you should take your refuse with you (not all manage to do the latter which one can unfortunately see evidence of in some places along the path).

I think this is one of those issues that many people think about, sometimes stress about before they go, and then it's quickly relegated to a non-issue whilst on the road putting one foot in front of the other;)

I agree with bokormen91 - its something I worried about more than blisters or snorers! I have a weak bladder and we were sometimes travelling in places without albergues and facilities. I took an army poncho - olive green so gave some camouflage and when needed it shielded me from all sight! There was enough room to sort out 'any' situation in privacy... It also folded down into a little pouch - and didn't weigh much. Do take your own toilet roll and a (coloured not seethru!) plastic bag so you have somewhere to put any waste.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for starting this thread. I also have a weak bladder and this has been my biggest concern for walking the Camino. I know I need to keep up the water supply but then I need to go. Hopefully it will not be an issue

Hi All,

I am walking the Camino for the first time in June. I'll be taking the French Way. I read a few threads about women on their periods while on the Camino, and I found them to be helpful about knowing where to buy products, etc. But my biggest worry is about the privacy of having to change any sanitary products or even relieving ones self while walking the trail. Is there usually enough cover on the side of the trails for a woman to do her business? Are their obvious places to use in the towns while passing through? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter as this will be my first time traveling outside of the US and am unfamiliar with hiking in public areas while menstruating or needing to use the bathroom.

Cheers,

Kali
When in June are you walking Kali. I am also doing it for the first time, starting the end of May.

But my biggest worry is about the privacy of having to change any sanitary products or even relieving ones self while walking the trail. Is there usually enough cover on the side of the trails for a woman to do her business? Are their obvious places to use in the towns while passing through?

Kali

Kali you will find a bar (cafe) in every village and it is accepted practice to use their toilets, even if you buy nothing.
There is very little privacy beside the trail and not only that but NO-ONE should leave anything behind - with over 200,000 people walking each year the whole trail will become a giant latrine unless everyone removes their waste, including toilet paper. I suggest here something people find yukky, but it really is necessary. Women who must wee, please remove the toilet paper in a zip lock plastic bag - if you think they were invented for sandwiches you are wrong! and dump in the next town,
Or forget toilet paper, instead wear a panty liner and shake, shake, shake, change panty liner at the next toilet.
But really, there is very seldom a need. As an older woman who has had children my plumbing ain't what it used to be so I follow the rule of Royalty - never miss an opportunity to use the toilet. As I mentioned they are in the bars (cafés) in the villages and the villages are only about two hours apart They often have no toilet paper so I always have a pocket tissue pack in my walking pants - it goes in automatically when I get dressed. More discreet than toilet paper and available in every supermarket along the path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the camino last year my period arrived unexpectedly (hadn't had one in 4 months, it's my age). amazingly the camino provided, the toilets at the bar i had stopped at for coffee had a bag with a variety of feminine products in! at the next town I was able to buy some more supplies and when my period had finished i distributed the unused items i had leftover in toilets along the way in case someone should find themself in a similar situation.

As for relieving oneself, like the other girls who have already posted I made use of every bar's facilities. I tend to need to go quite often but guess i must have got the mix of water in versus water out just about ok because i didn't need to find a bush to go behind.

I always, always had toilet paper or a pack of tissues in a ziplock bag in my pocket - if i had a euro for every loo without paper the camino would have been cost neutral for me!! I also had a spare ziplock bag for carrying out any soiled tissues which happily i did not need to use. One of the most gross things on the camino is the amount of bodily waste and discarded toilet paper at the side of the path - i'd seen pictures and read about it on the forum here and was determined not to contribute to the mess!

I solved the Hot Water Bottle issue when on another trek years ago. I use a Nalgene drink bottle (large size) into which I would put boiling water. Then slide the bottle into one or both pair of socks and presto I had clean boiled water for the morning and a comforting hottie for over night. It worked well and although not squishy like a rubber hottie it eased many an uncomfortable night.

Ahh a hot water bottle! the best item in any first aid kit! I took mine, but I was cycling so did not mind the extra weight. But anyone who has pain issues could try using those heat pads - they are like an elasticated bandage (in different sizes) that wraps around your middle or an elbow etc. They are activated by unwrapping them and give several hours of heat. In the uk you can get them in pound shops - so not expensive.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When in June are you walking Kali. I am also doing it for the first time, starting the end of May.

Hi Issy T,
I will be in Pamplona on the 17th and head out on the 18th. You might be much farther a long by that time, but if not, I welcome meeting all pilgrims!

Cheers,

Kali

I really would not worry about it as there are bars/cafe's/restaurants/bakeries within a few km of each other. There is 1 stretch of about 17km with nothing, but with a bit of planning that should not be an issue. You'll find some places without toilet paper, so carrying a roll of TP is smart (Sadly, I think some places have given up on providing toilet paper as inconsiderate pilgrims take the roll with them - discussed elsewhere on this forum.)
I bring TP, and whatever else I need in a little pack cube that I can easily take out from my backpack. It has a handle, so can be hung on the doorhandle or the empty TP holder

If you need to use the great outdoors for whatever reason, being discrete goes a long way, which is easier in areas where there are trees... That being said, I have seen people clearly visible from the path, and then it becomes the turn for those of us walking by to be discreet and avert our eyes. -And obviously you should take your refuse with you (not all manage to do the latter which one can unfortunately see evidence of in some places along the path).

I think this is one of those issues that many people think about, sometimes stress about before they go, and then it's quickly relegated to a non-issue whilst on the road putting one foot in front of the other;)

Hi bokormen91,

Thank you for the reply and for reminding me to add toilet paper to my list of supplies! I figured I was worrying more about this issue than I needed to, but it mostly stems from not knowing the area I will be walking in at all. Thanks for the words of comfort!

Cheers,

Kali

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with bokormen91 - its something I worried about more than blisters or snorers! I have a weak bladder and we were sometimes travelling in places without albergues and facilities. I took an army poncho - olive green so gave some camouflage and when needed it shielded me from all sight! There was enough room to sort out 'any' situation in privacy... It also folded down into a little pouch - and didn't weigh much. Do take your own toilet roll and a (coloured not seethru!) plastic bag so you have somewhere to put any waste.

Thank you hecate105,

Camouflage is a great idea, my pack is more of a turquoise color, but I didn't think to use it as a cover! And yes, I will be packing out any waste. Colorful baggies for waste, another awesome idea!

Cheers,

Kali

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kali you will find a bar (cafe) in every village and it is accepted practice to use their toilets, even if you buy nothing.
There is very little privacy beside the trail and not only that but NO-ONE should leave anything behind - with over 200,000 people walking each year the whole trail will become a giant latrine unless everyone removes their waste, including toilet paper. I suggest here something people find yukky, but it really is necessary. Women who must wee, please remove the toilet paper in a zip lock plastic bag - if you think they were invented for sandwiches you are wrong! and dump in the next town,
Or forget toilet paper, instead wear a panty liner and shake, shake, shake, change panty liner at the next toilet.
But really, there is very seldom a need. As an older woman who has had children my plumbing ain't what it used to be so I follow the rule of Royalty - never miss an opportunity to use the toilet. As I mentioned they are in the bars (cafés) in the villages and the villages are only about two hours apart They often have no toilet paper so I always have a pocket tissue pack in my walking pants - it goes in automatically when I get dressed. More discreet than toilet paper and available in every supermarket along the path.

Hi Kanga,

Thank you for the reassurance and details. It is sort of a taboo to use the facilities in a store without buying something here, so that was also a bit of a worry for me. A big part of the Camino for me is looking forward to the beauty of the landscape. I plan on leaving as little of a trace as possible while out there as I understand your concern for people leaving waste. Panty liners, I use them often, but thought it would be too much of a hassle with walking so much in the heat. But I will certainly bring them now!

Cheers,

Kali

Great question to ask.
I PM a lovely forum member last year asking similar questions.

Thanks to fibriods I had three periods on my Camino. Not fun at all.

I took all the sanitary products I needed with me from NZ...and posted supplies ahead along the path so I wasnt carrying extra weight.
Yes....you can buy anything in Spain....but I knew what worked for me. And because my fibriods create heavy flows I needed to have confidence in what I was using.

I also included testing my pads in my training regime to make sure they didnt chaff or move around etc.

I actually didnt need the loo that much...but would "change" whenever an opportunity presented itself....just to be safe.

In my bum bag/fanny pack....I carried spare products, tissues, hand sanitiser and tiny plastic bags for used items. (If no bin was provided)

The only thing that was a hassle was I sure did miss my hot water bottle at times. :0)

Hi Lise T,

Thank you for the reply. That really does not sound fun :( I will probably have less of a period than normal because if the amount of activity, thank you for reassuring me I can find products anywhere. Hand sanitizer, that is something I did not think to bring. It is going on my list!

Cheers,

Kali

I have just walked five weeks in France (not the Frances) and a hint that served me - and the environment - very well for outdoor peeing (only) was to take a small zip lock plastic bag containing a piece (6x6 inches/15x15 cm) of "Chux" biodegradable Super Wipe. I kept the zip lock bag tucked into a pocket of my pack where it was handy to grab whenever I needed to head off-piste.

I could and did reuse the same piece quite happily during the day (without cringing) and in the evening I would rinse both cloth and plastic bag out, whereupon they would both dry quickly overnight. And even on the few occasions when I forgot to rinse it till morning, therefore had to use the cloth clean-damp, it still did a good job of "blotting" which was what I wanted.

One piece of Chux lasted me the whole five weeks.

(NB I travelled with a couple of women who did not feel a need to "blot" but I personally felt much cleaner from blotting and possibly got away with washing my trousers less often than I would have otherwise).

Panty liners, I use them often, but thought it would be too much of a hassle with walking so much in the heat. But I will certainly bring them now!

Cheers,

Kali

Hi Kali, Just watch they don't rub or you'll develop a blister - I bend the sides under to make them very thin or some I cut with nail scissors. I've also tried folding a soft handkerchief and washing it out.
Experiment a bit but if you feel a sore spot don't leave it - blisters on Some Places are very nasty!
Buen Camino!

Yes liners are good and extend the life of pants etc. I like the Chux idea and will definitely take some on 28th.

Sorry, Kanga, I disagree here! :(I do think that if someone makes use of the toilets in the bars along the Way ( and we all do), then we should at least consume something there.
I follow the rule of Royalty - never miss an opportunity to use the toilet. .

One of the best rules that Royalty made! ;) Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry, Kanga, I disagree here! :(I do think that if someone makes use of the toilets in the bars along the Way ( and we all do), then we should at least consume something there.

I do too Anne, or buy something, but everywhere in Spain they double as public conveniences. In fact I can't recall ever seeing public conveniences as such anywhere in Spain, even in Madrid and Barcelona. They may exist but I've never noticed them. Contra France.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Kali
Hi Kali,

I've been experimenting with a few products for my first Camino starting in SJPDP on the 17th of June. For potty issues, I'm using a device with an oval-shaped funnel and short tube (called she-whiz), so basically I can handle the job standing up. The back of the cup has a squeegee type edge, so after a bit of practice, I don't need toilet paper. I love the device and keep one in the car for roadside emergencies. For the bigger bathroom issues - I'll wait until I find indoor plumbing.

I haven't decided about the cycle issues yet. I'm experimenting with the Diva Cup, a flexible silicone cup that, once inserted, catches the flow. There is no way to handle this without privacy, because getting the cup in and out is not a ladylike event. The cup can be dumped in the weeds and then rinsed out with a water bottle. I like this option because the device is lightweight and small and takes up way less room than a supply of tampons and produces zero trash. I've also been testing a dense sea sponge cut into an egg shape. This is an awesome choice because it is comfortable and extremely absorbent (the cup has overflowed once or twice). It is also lightweight and takes up almost no room in my pack. But, like the cup it requires a good deal of privacy. The other downfall is that the fluid absorbed must be squeezed out and the sponge must be rinsed. This takes a decent amount of water and would look horrific to witnesses in a public bathroom.

So there you have it, hope one of these ideas will work for you.

Take care,
Christine

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a reason why the Dine (Navajo) Shima (grandmothers) follow their sheep around the desert in those long skirts...Ha ha ha... Really, it's not that hard to figure out. We have been around for not quite 100,000 years, way before flush toilets. You are only limited by your imagination. There are a number of reusable products out there. The original being the real rubber Keeper http://www.keeper.com/ and the Diva Cup http://divacup.com/. If you're in the field just empty it and rinse it with water. When you get to the alburgue or wherever wash it with soap. No waste, no problem.
Whatever you decide PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE WASTE ON THE SIDE OF THE TRAIL! Ziplocks work great! You can empty them in the trash to reuse or toss the whole thing and start with a freshy. We call em Scooby bags. You can have a lot of fun with a name like that.

These are all great tips and questions we women have to ask and be concerned about. I am learning a lot. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry, Kanga, I disagree here! :(I do think that if someone makes use of the toilets in the bars along the Way ( and we all do), then we should at least consume something there. Anne

I agree with you Anne, buy something during the last week, at the end of thr CF, I sawvsigns on the loos' doors: for clirnts only - 50 cents tomuse if you are not. I once walked by an albergue I was not stayong at and asked to use the facilities and left the hospitalera money for the water, paper and soap. It's only right.

The original being the real rubber Keeper http://www.keeper.com/ and the Diva Cup http://divacup.com/. If you're in the field just empty it and rinse it with water. When you get to the alburgue or wherever wash it with soap. No waste, no problem.t.

Please don't. You will end up rinsing these where others will be washing their hands, drinking water from or filling their water bottle. Fine in your own home, not in public facilities.

If I caught sight of a woman changing her sanitary protection discretley behind a bush I wouldn't care one bit and I would forget about it after two more steps. No need to be embarrassed about being a healthy woman.

On three walks I have got my period way before it was due so take some products with you from the start. The sudden amount of activity can start your period early.

I know this is an old thread, but your Army poncho idea is totally genius!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back