• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women's needs

Kay.V

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
I plan on walking the Camino in May this year (2018) and am looking for some advice from the ladies on this forum on what to take when it comes to basic female necessities. More specifically how to pack smart. (without taking a ton of supplies)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spain has all the supplies you need. Take enough to last you two or three days, which gives time to find a supermarket - assuming sometimes they will be closed when you walk past, or you are in a rural area with only tiny villages for a day or two.

Others on the forum talk about menstrual cups, something about which I have no experience, but that I would definitely investigate if I was younger!

My personal favourite female accoutrement is a Pibella. Those clever Swiss engineers have got it right!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spain has all the supplies you need. Take enough to last you two or three days, which gives time to find a supermarket - assuming sometimes they will be closed when you walk past, or you are in a rural area with only tiny villages for a day or two.

Others on the forum talk about menstrual cups, something about which I have no experience, but that I would definitely investigate if I was younger!

My personal favourite female accoutrement is a Pibella. Those clever Swiss engineers have got it right!
Thank you for such a fast reply. I have never experimented with Pibella cups. I guess there is a first time for everything ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No - Pibella is definitely not a cup @Kay.V - have a look at the photo. A very different purpose, although geographically close!

The thread that @C clearly has posted (above) has all the information you need.
I am interested. Did you use the Pibella from a standing or sitting position? No matter which position, I expect you still have to drop your drawers.

Wow! I have tried other devices - without success... But these look effective without actually having to drop your drawers! The photos convinced me! I have just ordered one and look forward to being able to pee in Laos without stomping on a Landmine, not wet myself in the car when we are in a 2hr traffic jam and not crawl out of my tent in the rain.... :)o_O

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I plan on walking the Camino in May this year (2018) and am looking for some advice from the ladies on this forum on what to take when it comes to basic female necessities. More specifically how to pack smart. (without taking a ton of supplies)

We have a great females only camino forum called CAMIGAS on facebook. There you can ask ANYTHING. I find it extremely supportive even when I’m already on the Camino as I am right now (sleeping alone in the Albergue de peregrinos de San Matires Santander with no other pilgrims where a male hospitalero sleeps overnight).

Standing and no need to take off my pack or drop my knickers. The particular genius of this design is that it is unobtrusive to use and it really works.

I can say that had I needed to relieve myself yesterday in 30kph headwinds no “device” or zippee pants would have helped

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are in for a nice walk tomorrow. Or when you decide it is OK to proceed! Keep a look out for the rather spectacular village with paintings on the wall.

Whoops, sorry folks, a detour from the topic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gives a whole new meaning to "penis envy" doesn't it ladies (not original, I stole it from a Canadian lady).

As to the first female-specific requirement... wait till your fifties, that one goes away :)

As to the second..... several years ago I ran the London Marathon, and in the assembly area there was a group of female urinals. They provided disposable funnel things which looked very similar to the pibella, to be directed into what I assume is a standard male urinal. I tried.... and I tried..... and I simply could not go. Something about standing up, at a guess, but my brain was not for allowing this to happen. I joined the group who were squatting in the corner.

Which brings me to my next point.... I was under the impression that on the Camino you were never more than a few miles from a village.... and therefore a toilet. Do I need to rethink my strategy?

I wore a above-knee skirt, actually a skort with the shorts cut out. Disposable minipads catch drips, no messy device needed. Please commit to not leaving toilet tissue in the bushes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As to the first female-specific requirement... wait till your fifties, that one goes away :)

As to the second..... several years ago I ran the London Marathon, and in the assembly area there was a group of female urinals. They provided disposable funnel things which looked very similar to the pibella, to be directed into what I assume is a standard male urinal. I tried.... and I tried..... and I simply could not go. Something about standing up, at a guess, but my brain was not for allowing this to happen. I joined the group who were squatting in the corner.

Which brings me to my next point.... I was under the impression that on the Camino you were never more than a few miles from a village.... and therefore a toilet. Do I need to rethink my strategy?
Barbara there are a lot of lengthy stretches between villages. Just on the first day alone 16 plus kilometers from Orisson to ronscevales. I also choose not to use "contraptions" I prefer to squat. There is an unspoken Camino etiquette that everyone just ignores those wandering off into the bushes, no one looks. I have even perfected squatting with my mochilla on. Please, please do as the above post states; Do Not leave tissue!! It is so wrong in so many ways! Do not get a bladder infection from "holding it", bad move!

Wander, wee, wipe.... and put the paper in a little plastic bag you carry for the purpose, to be binned later?

I won’t be going the Napoleon route as it’s still closed and I leave the day after tomorrow (Argghhhhh!!!). Are there long stretches without facilities later on as well?

The best I can tell you is DO follow the guide books on this, Always fill up at the water fontes! I bet the H2O is ice cold and delicious at this time of the year! And yes, do empty little plastic bag at trash receptacles, it really becomes part of your daily routine. Most importantly, enjoy! Buen Camino to you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello my name is Mary F64 from Australia starting walk on 25th from St Jean alone.
Advice I have been given, pack minimalistic.
Dove soap, sunscreen. Tights, scarfe Poncho.good socks, hat.

Hello my name is Mary F64 from Australia starting walk on 25th from St Jean alone.
Advice I have been given, pack minimalistic.
Dove soap, sunscreen. Tights, scarfe Poncho.good socks, hat.
Check out this YouTube from Lindsey Codie regarding Lush soap. Multiple uses: body, hair and laundry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am interested. Did you use the Pibella from a standing or sitting position? No matter which position, I expect you still have to drop your drawers.
😄

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.