• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women's tall/petite/extended sizing clothes find

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
If you are struggling to find a light weight pants option as a petite/tall/extended size woman...I brought my kitchen scale (it fits in my purse easily) with me to Old Navy last weekend when everyone else was watching the superbowl. lol The women's stretch tech pants in the cargo option are lightweight and are advertised as quick drying with UV protection. They don't compare quality wise with REI/Cottage UL clothing, but most of those options also do not accommodate for the wide range in women's sizes, and often are extremely expensive. I found them to be very comfortable with a looser fit that's not too baggy (there is also a stretch tech jogger without cargo pockets that is a slimmer fit). The talls in my size weigh less than my macabi skirt (under 11 oz...unheard of for a pair of hiking pants in my size), and I had no problem wearing them over my merino baselayer leggings. These are not going to be adequate as snow pants, but for spring rains and warm days where you want your legs covered, they are brilliant, and really affordable. I noticed they have shorts in this fabric as well but they weren't in the store so Idk how much they weigh. I also tried on the men's stretch tech pants and they were much heavier because they are lined.

They also have a nice mid- support bra (no wire) that weighs around 110 g in a larger size (probably under 100 g for a medium), with the cup thingies removed (you can take one pair of the cup thingies to use for more than one sports bra to save weight). I found one on a clearance rack and tested it on a long walk. Enough support for walking, very comfortable, no itchy spots or awkward rubbing.

Their ultralite t shirts weigh in fairly light too (not the ribbed ones). Sleeveless at 119 g for a tall larger size, and the short sleeved tall/larger size at 144 g.

These are not Marmot, Patagonia, or Cotopaxi quality. But for a camino they also don't have to last as long as a 6 month PCT hike, and I think the quality is better than something like Walmart, easily found on sale, plus better sizing options.

I just thought I'd share in case someone else also struggles to find hiking clothes in petites/talls/extended sizing,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm 6'1 and by necessity become a master at finding tall clothing and also in plus sizes. I'm also shaped like a fertility statue. The struggle to find activewear is real. I've found most typical stuff sold at a place like REI is not at all cut for a tall woman or a curvy woman, even in the plus sizes.

There is a German company called Ulla Popken www.ullapopken.com that makes some athletic wear and especially great coats. They go down to a size 12 but I would say some of their stuff fits tighter than others so more like a 10 or an 8. It isn't labeled as tall but everything is cut for a tall woman. I especially recommend their coats and the high waisted leggings are actually high waisted, even on me.

Lane Bryant carries talls in some of their leggings in the Livi Active range. This stuff is quite good and long lasting. Also their high impact sports bras are by far the best I've ever tried for those of us who are boobily gifted.

Juno Active is incredibly expensive but their stuff is great quality and is in plus sizes and kind of modest cut. Really overpriced though.

Marks and Spencer, which is British, also carries some tall work out wear and just their regular stuff is cut a bit longer. Their regular leggings are long enough for me and come in basically every size.

Veilgarments.com is an athletic wear company meant for Muslim women but I love their stuff because they make tunics and a tunic for everyone else is a shirt for me. Kind of expensive but good quality. Also have a lot of different sizes. I just discovered them but I love it so far.

Thanks so much for sharing! I will check these out. The only other place I’m aware of is Long Tall Sally (UK based but they do have a warehouse in the US) and they sometimes have activewear but they changed ownership recently. I didn’t mention it because I haven’t purchased anything since the switch, but they offer sizes up to a 38 inch inseam.

Hi! 👋🏻 It’s nice to meet another tall woman. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is also a good reminder that gear for walking on the camino doesn't need to be top of the range or expensive brands. My favourite camino top which is still going strong after 10 years is from Lidl.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank for the Old Navy links. This time of year I like to layer a lightweight pair of pants over my leggings when I go on walks, and the pants that you linked to look like they would be perfect. While I'm not as tall as you, I find that my legs are long enough that most of those "jogger style" pants hit my calf in the wrong place, so a pair in the tall length should be perfect.

I really appreciate the lightweight women’s clothing discussions. Even though I’m more the “refugee slight build”, Columbia etc tend to be cut for 20 year olds and pretty much won’t stay put on my minuscule hips! I’m going to check out these brands! Thanks

Thank for the Old Navy links. This time of year I like to layer a lightweight pair of pants over my leggings when I go on walks, and the pants that you linked to look like they would be perfect. While I'm not as tall as you, I find that my legs are long enough that most of those "jogger style" pants hit my calf in the wrong place, so a pair in the tall length should be perfect.
They are really comfy with merino underneath. Idk what it is with the jogger length lately. They all look like high waters from my 80s childhood! 😬

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are struggling to find a light weight pants option as a petite/tall/extended size woman...I brought my kitchen scale (it fits in my purse easily) with me to Old Navy last weekend when everyone else was watching the superbowl. lol The women's stretch tech pants in the cargo option are lightweight and are advertised as quick drying with UV protection. They don't compare quality wise with REI/Cottage UL clothing, but most of those options also do not accommodate for the wide range in women's sizes, and often are extremely expensive. I found them to be very comfortable with a looser fit that's not too baggy (there is also a stretch tech jogger without cargo pockets that is a slimmer fit). The talls in my size weigh less than my macabi skirt (under 11 oz...unheard of for a pair of hiking pants in my size), and I had no problem wearing them over my merino baselayer leggings. These are not going to be adequate as snow pants, but for spring rains and warm days where you want your legs covered, they are brilliant, and really affordable. I noticed they have shorts in this fabric as well but they weren't in the store so Idk how much they weigh. I also tried on the men's stretch tech pants and they were much heavier because they are lined.

They also have a nice mid- support bra (no wire) that weighs around 110 g in a larger size (probably under 100 g for a medium), with the cup thingies removed (you can take one pair of the cup thingies to use for more than one sports bra to save weight). I found one on a clearance rack and tested it on a long walk. Enough support for walking, very comfortable, no itchy spots or awkward rubbing.

Their ultralite t shirts weigh in fairly light too (not the ribbed ones). Sleeveless at 119 g for a tall larger size, and the short sleeved tall/larger size at 144 g.

These are not Marmot, Patagonia, or Cotopaxi quality. But for a camino they also don't have to last as long as a 6 month PCT hike, and I think the quality is better than something like Walmart, easily found on sale, plus better sizing options.

I just thought I'd share in case someone else also struggles to find hiking clothes in petites/talls/extended sizing,
Actually just ran across those Old Navy cargo tech pants and they aren't bad. Can't beat the price...I've recommended them to a few older ladies walking in spring. I also found Old Navy had a Merino Wool shirt / base layer for $19.99! Try finding merino anywhere at that price!

I love that you are sharing your finds. I've had lots of ladies asking as well.

I really appreciate the lightweight women’s clothing discussions. Even though I’m more the “refugee slight build”, Columbia etc tend to be cut for 20 year olds and pretty much won’t stay put on my minuscule hips! I’m going to check out these brands! Thanks
Glad it’s not just me! It’s really any woman outside the standard size ranges/ages, and I’m kinda over it. If the expensive hiking brands want our business they can earn it with inclusive sizing and quit assuming only certain ages and sizes are hiking, imho. We know they know how to do it given the men’s sizing is already inclusive. 🙄 In the meantime I’m gonna give my business to the ones who are trying.

Which reminds me, they’re more expensive and their clothes for some reason just don’t fit me right, but Athleta is another brand that has inclusive sizing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you for taking the time to share your research.

Thank you so much for this thread! Finding camino clothing has been difficult. I'm willing to throw money at this problem, but I'd prefer to be able to try things on before buying (or having a brick and mortar I can return no-thank-yous).

I'm a 2X and am also a fertility statue. A very squat fertility statue. I got a quick-dry tech shirt (men's section at Target) and a playtex sports bra (it's ugly as sin, but it will work). I think I have the hiking skirt sorted. But that still leaves leggings and slip/bike shorts and a warmer shirt. Sigh.

I'll check out Old Navy and Lane Bryant.

Thank you so much for this thread! Finding camino clothing has been difficult. I'm willing to throw money at this problem, but I'd prefer to be able to try things on before buying (or having a brick and mortar I can return no-thank-yous).

I'm a 2X and am also a fertility statue. A very squat fertility statue. I got a quick-dry tech shirt (men's section at Target) and a playtex sports bra (it's ugly as sin, but it will work). I think I have the hiking skirt sorted. But that still leaves leggings and slip/bike shorts and a warmer shirt. Sigh.

I have an odd suggestion for the slip shorts as long as the plan is to wear them under the skirt? Ex Officio men's boxers in the 9 inch inseam. They weigh 100 g, wash and dry like a dream, and are super comfy. You can message me about sizing if you want (I'm trying to avoid putting my actual sizes out here on the interwebs lol). I also own men's merino boxers in the 9 inch inseam for wearing under a hiking skirt. They weigh a little bit more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

For leggings and shorts look at www.marika.com. They have plus sizes and when I wore a 2x I loved their leggings. They're really durable too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.