• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women's Underwear

pinkykzoo

Ok ladies, I need your input (especially veterans)...
I haven't purchased any underwear for the trip yet and would love some advice about the best types (brands and fabrics). I have seen some of the pricey tech underwear and am wondering if it's worth it to purchase these ones. What's your opinion???
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took Barely There briefs. They are constructed of seamless microfiber and don't have tags. They were very lightweight, comfortable and they dry really fast. I found some at TJMAXX so they were even on sale. I took a couple of microfiber sports bras too.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Definitely take microfiber underwear because of its moisture-wicking, comfortable and quick drying capability. A must in springtime as your wash must dry quickly and when it rains, things might not dry overnight. You might expedite the drying time if you roll them in your towel and hang to dry.

- Briefs: I took 3 Barely There, which I got at Costco but haven't found them there in months. Next time I will take ExOfficio Bikini Briefs are more comfortable though kind of expensive at $16. You can see them at this link: http://www.rei.com/category/10062717.

- Sports bras: 2 Moving Comfort Daylite. Lightweight, moisture-wicking, breathable , very comfortable and quick drying. View at: http://www.rei.com/category/40003550.

For panties I took what I owned, did not buy any special types and they worked fine. They were thin, quick drying.
For bras this time I bought tank tops with built in bras. They serve as bra and keep me warm under something else, or when it is warm I can just wear it alone. Last time I took one regular bra and 1 bralette which I liked alot.
Did not and do not need to buy any special kinds.
I spent my money on outer wear.
Lillian

Ok. Since we're on the topic!! What about sports bras..I ran into an issue w/one of my favs...it and my back pack hit my collar bone at the same spot...and wound up with a really impressive bone bruise right on the front of the collar bone....hurt all week! Any other recommendations regarding types or brands or number of!!??!!?

I too have the Barelythere briefs...for reg. use they are soo comfy! so am planning on 3 pairs...Got'em at Kohls..on sale so they were like 3 pairs for $18.

Karin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ExOffico all the way!!! Wicking and lightweight....$18 a pair at REI... but I just got two pair from Travel Smith for 13.50 a pair. I LOVE them and want to wear them every day... I have 5 pair now and really have no desire to even go back to my cotton panties....and anyone who sweats in the nether regions will LOVE these. Just like my american express ( just a saying, I don't even have one) card... I'll NEVER leave home without them!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cotton tends to hold the moisture and can be a problem for some of us, I find it uncomfortable if I have been sweating. I take lightweight ultra silver briefs (made by Rohan UK) and nylon bras. My briefs dry overnight so 3 pairs would do, but I prefer to take 4 pairs. I can change after a shower in the afternoon and still have a clean pair for next morning if there has not been a chance to do washing. The briefs technical details can be seen on the Rohan site which might help you then look for something similar.

Ex Officio briefs wear like iron. My first set, purchased in 2009 and worn both for travel and at home, is still going strong. Of course, I've added to them via the various sales at REI and TravelSmith over the years.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Patagonia Hipsters get my vote. Not done the Camino yet but have invested in 3 pairs & do all my training walks in them. They're super-comfortable and wash/dry really easily/quickly. Prícey but worth it to me.

I haven't purchased any underwear for the trip yet and would love some advice about the best types (brands and fabrics). I have seen some of the pricey tech underwear and am wondering if it's worth it to purchase these ones. What's your opinion???
Thanks!
Exofficio gets my vote. I'm a hiker and wouldn't wear anything else: they dry in a flash, are comfortable and durable. Take two pair. I also taking an exofficio tank with shelf bra to wear in the evenings/nightime

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought exofficio underwear. Seamless tagless, quick drying, antimicrobial and worth every penny!!! They dry out in 15 minutes. Great for breaks in walking.
I found them to be completely worth the price.
Ice breaker undies are great too. I just found that they didn't last a long time.
Also the exofficios could double as a swimsuit bottom.

Any opinion on bringing swimsuit bottoms instead?

Mind if I ask why? Do you intend to take a coastal route?
Just my two cents, but I would not like to walk in swinwear bottoms - too thick, eventually the seams would start being annoying, and it could get quite hot there - in a bad way.

I usually use Bonds underwear (that I already own). I just choose the lighter, microfibre ones that dry quickly.

ExOffico all the way!!! Wicking and lightweight....$18 a pair at REI... but I just got two pair from Travel Smith for 13.50 a pair. I LOVE them and want to wear them every day... I have 5 pair now and really have no desire to even go back to my cotton panties....and anyone who sweats in the nether regions will LOVE these. Just like my american express ( just a saying, I don't even have one) card... I'll NEVER leave home without them!!
I, too, preferred the Exofficio panties (even over my tried/trusted Ibex wool bikinis - longer dry time). So much so, that now at home, I won't wear anything else. I have all of the sites that carry them on permanent "sale alert"!! They do stay nice longer if you don't put them in the dryer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bring swimsuit bottoms so I can take advantage of any pools that I find along the way, or the sea on the Norte. Also works for backup underwear.

I take no swimsuit bottoms as underwear but vice versa. If I want to go for a swim I can do it in my black underpants and bra. Unless you take a very close look on that, you think it is a bikini.

Bras? I love DIM brand, lightweight, very supportive, but kinda pricey and hard to find in USA. (I buy mine in Spain.) Problem is, you can´t leave them on albergue clotheslines to dry, because they disappear!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a fan of Patagonia undies too. I wore them on the Camino, I've been hiking in them for years, and they are my go-to under skirts and dresses during the summer.

For sports bras - I wear Champion sports bras for hikes and workouts, and I like them, so I took them on the Camino too. They worked great. They aren't quick drying, but I took to bras and never had an issue waiting for one to dry.

I'm also a fan of the Patagonia hiking underwear and their sports bras. I get mine at MEC. I have icebreakers too and I love them but they are *fragile* and won't stand up (quality changed over the last 3 years) to such quick rotations through the wash/wear cycle of a Camino, so they are staying home.

Nobody else has mentioned this, but I did have to buy smaller things at two different stages on my last Camino and I really like the bikini briefs I was able to find at *Intimissi* in León. Those are now 4 years old and still comfortable, soft and in good condition. I plan to get more in León this year. Or in Santiago if I can find the shop there.

I took a cheap 3-pack of Fruit of the Loom undies from WalMart. They are 92% Polyester and 8% Elastane, but have a little cotton insert. I was very comfortable in them, although I usually wear cotton only. They dried super quickly, maybe in an hour or so in good weather.
Make sure you choose a good cut so nothing "rides up" while walking, even if that means getting something less fashionable than you usually wear.
I also find that a darker color, like dark blue or black, makes me feel more "dressed" in mixed accommodations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked locally with " normal" underwear. It was hot...HOT after 20 km the tag had made a small hole in my back and the seam were the gusset is sown had rubbed raw. I can't stress the importance of trying out all of your clothing in all kids of weather if at all possible before you go. I discovered that my $200 + dollar Arc'teryx pants that were going to be so so so perfect on my camino as to justify the price have a weird completely annoying seam on the knee of all places. Scrapped those.

On REI's website, there a quite a few different pairs for the ExOfficio underwear. What do y'all use?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I preferred the Give and Go hip huggers, and even the briefs aren't really granny panties. I have to warn you,though, the newer design with the softer stretch lace around the legs and top doesn't stay in place as well as the older variety. It also runs one size larger. However, I also think it is more lightweight and dries faster than the older model, which would be a plus on the Camino. Just a side note as well....there are some panty liners/pads that do not adhere well at all to the Exofficio fabric. The Always brand does, but not the Kotex ones I have tried. This may be TMI, but this is seriously annoying if you aren't expecting it, and stuff is moving around!!

Thanks!
My sister tired out the merino ones (brand name not mentioned 😉) and reckoned they were a bit scratchy after a wash and a tumble dry!

Myself, I took three pairs of my regular undies (pretty old but not quite threadbare) and they were totally fine. I would wash them in the shower or by hand. They dried on the line in the heat and dried overnight in the cold. They worked fine for me.

Buen camino :)

Hi,

I like multifunctional things. So I usually take black bikini briefs (92% Polyester, 8% Elasthane is really comfortable and quick drying) and a black simple bra which I could also wear for swimming.

Last year on the Primitivo I walked with an Italian girl who took very lovely lace-bras with her on the camino. She tried to persuade the hospitalera to wash them for her at her home, but she refused. So she had to wash them by hand and caused a lot of laughter among our fellow pilgrims when these "sexy things" were hanging on the clothes line.

So you have to consider, that everybody in the albergue can see your underwear when it is out for drying!

BC
Alexandra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first few years I wore Ex-officio but have changed to merino wool panties. They don't retain odor and don't have to be replaced as often. I still wear the ex-0fficio bralettes. They are very good for those that are on the small side---can't speak for those larger than an A cup.

I bought exofficio underwear. Seamless tagless, quick drying, antimicrobial and worth every penny!!! They dry out in 15 minutes. Great for breaks in walking.
I found them to be completely worth the price.
Ice breaker undies are great too. I just found that they didn't last a long time.
Also the exofficios could double as a swimsuit bottom.
Which ones did you get? I ordered some Exofficio boyshorts from Amazon and tested out their drying time at home. They were still damp 18 hours later! I even rolled them in a towel to absorb extra moisture before hanging them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.