• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Womens wide feet trekking shoes

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi everyone
Looking for a bit of advice. Im based in Ireland so a lot of American brands are sadly not available. Ive done my last two caminos CP central and Primitivo in Meindl Respond. No blisters but i feel the soles are a bit too hard no cushioning. After 200km my feet were throbbing.. Im sure impact has a lot to answer for but just feel there is no give in Meindl.

Planning the first two weeks of the Norte in September and hoping to get something lighter, slightly. Im a size 8 usually taking and 8.5 in hiking footwear and have a wider fit.

Just dont want to make an expensive mistake which i really cant afford to do

Thanks in advance x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone
Looking for a bit of advice. Im based in Ireland so a lot of American brands are sadly not available. Ive done my last two caminos CP central and Primitivo in Meindl Respond. No blisters but i feel the soles are a bit too hard no cushioning. After 200km my feet were throbbing.. Im sure impact has a lot to answer for but just feel there is no give in Meindl.

Planning the first two weeks of the Norte in September and hoping to get something lighter, slightly. Im a size 8 usually taking and 8.5 in hiking footwear and have a wider fit.

Thanks in advance x
I'm male and use meindl but have always used Green superfeet instead of the makers insoles. Don't know if this helps but maybe worth a try instead of expensive replacements. Hope this helps. Buen camino.

Samarkand.

Ireland has so many small outdoors shops with each tending to carry two or three brands but plenty of variation between the shops. I have narrow ankles and worked out Salomon trail runners work for me but my local outdoor shop in Sligo mainly stock Columbia, Keen and Hoka, none of which worked, so i ended up in Cotswolds in Belfast which stocked Salomon (but I did buy lovely pair Keen boots from the Sligo shop). Its been awhile since I did Dublin outdoors shops (precovid) but 53North tended to Merell and North face from memories.
Keen tended to have reputation for wider fittings. Hoka is cushioning. Trailruners tend to be lighter and a bit more flexible.
Are there any recommendations you have seen on the forum already?

But I do agree with Malingerer that changing out the insole can also make a difference

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you
Ireland has so many small outdoors shops with each tending to carry two or three brands but plenty of variation between the shops. I have narrow ankles and worked out Salomon trail runners work for me but my local outdoor shop in Sligo mainly stock Columbia, Keen and Hoka, none of which worked, so i ended up in Cotswolds in Belfast which stocked Salomon (but I did buy lovely pair Keen boots from the Sligo shop). Its been awhile since I did Dublin outdoors shops (precovid) but 53North tended to Merell and North face from memories.
Keen tended to have reputation for wider fittings. Hoka is cushioning. Trailruners tend to be lighter and a bit more flexible.
Are there any recommendations you have seen on the forum already?

But I do agree with Malingerer that changing out the insole can also make a difference
Thanks a million for all the tips will look into those. Would consider wearing the meindls but the heel of one of them has worn through a bit and im worried that might cause me problems ideally would be great to get another 300 km out of them

@Wandalina I don't know if Hoka One One's are available for you, but I have an exceedingly wide forefoot and was very surprised to find that the wide fitting in a Bondi fit me beautifully. I was specifically looking for a soft springy shoe to wear on hard stone sets and roads, as my go-to sandals are not the best on those surfaces. The Hokas are perfect.

I don't know if New Balance shoes are available to you, but I wear a NB Fresh Foam More in a Wide fitting, and I'm very happy with the excellent cushioning for my fussy feet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wandalina, you could try the Merril Moab range. Generously wide, including the toe box, quite expensive but reasonably long-lasting and, as far as my experience of the men's shoes and boots are concerned, very comfortable. You will find that several walking shops, such as Millets and Blacks (if they are still going in Ireland), will keep them in stock. Tom

I use Merrill, which are less expensive than some other makes but I agree that changing the innersole can make all the difference. This year I set off with new innersoles from the podiatrist. When I got to Estella I bought more cushioned inner soles and it made a huge difference to my comfort and blisters

Look to see if you can find some Altra trail runners. The Olympus has the most cushion, I think. Be aware that they are zero drop, though. Some people love them but some people can’t deal with the zero drop. I go barefoot at home so it’s not a problem for me and I love my Altras. I always have plenty of space and I have wide feet.

Look to see if you can find some Altra trail runners. The Olympus has the most cushion, I think. Be aware that they are zero drop, though. Some people love them but some people can’t deal with the zero drop. I go barefoot at home so it’s not a problem for me and I love my Altras. I always have plenty of space and I have wide feet.
I have Altras too, super comfortable, but ended up having achilles problems and podiatrist said it was due to zero drop. Will use them on short hikes

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
Hoka one one speedgoat.
Barbara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I swear by Meindl shoes now having walked various Caminos and suffered using other well known makes.

I sent one pair of Meindl walking shoes back to their factory in Germany. The stitching was coming adrift. It took about 2 months to get that done but there was no charge I sent them via their agent in the Lake District. Meindl re-sole shoes and boots as well.

Fortunately I had a second pair I could use during this time.

New insoles sound like an excellent idea

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
Order some Ultra Lone Peak 6 online, the BEST!

Wandalina, further to my post above, my wife tells me that Peter Storm do wide-fitting walking shoes for women. They should also be easily available in Ireland. Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks a million to you all for taking the time to respond. What an amazing community ❤️

I have Altra Lone Peak 4.5 Love the toe box width as well as height. I've developed hammer toes - no worries with the Lone Peaks. I also use insoles for more cushion.

Hi, personally I love KEEN in boots and ALTRA as trail runners, which are wide and super light. Hopefully you can get these brands. I do not know of any European brands, sorry! Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
I too have wide feet and ended up getting fit into men’s Topos. Also, I bought a separate insole to put in them. I think that Topos might be an Italian brand? Men’s shoes fit me better than women’s shoes. (Unless, of course if you want something pink and sparkly!)

I hear your pain @Wandalina, I am in Canada and I tried a couple of the great American brands but shipping costs and timelines are super inconvenient. What worked best for me is to go to local shoes and actually try the shoes they have; they may not have the latest versions or the coolest colours for wide feet but trying them tops ordering anything online that you may have to return specially with September right around the corner! I am also walking in September and I just found out my Altras won't do because just like @Sue127 the zero drop gives me sore calves so I will be trying some Topos this weekend I was lucky to find at a local shop 🤓

Whilst I always walk in Teva sandals, perfect for wide feet, my back up is either Topos or Altra. Both are sooo comfortable with amazing grip.
I walked Le Puy to Muxia in New Balance. Very comfortable but dangerous as had no grip whatsoever. IMO good grip should be added as an essential element when choosing.

I've just switched from Salomon Speedcross to Altra Lone Peak 6. The extra room in the
toe box is so comfortable. The zero drop took a couple of days to get used to.
Surprisingly I found the sizing the same. Surprised, as I'd always thought the Speedcross
were a small fit. Years ago I used to walk in Meindl and I found i had to go up half a size for
the Speedcross and Altra.

Saucony Peregrine 11 (last year's model) comes in a wide, I took a 9.5 wide in that shoe and have never been happier. What a great shoe, breathes well and has a rock plate in the sole to protect the balls of your feet. You might be able to find them on sale too!

I too have wide feet and they seem to become wider each year. I had to chuck my Solomons mid Camino this year as my heels had spread and I developed a small blister on each foot. I bought a pair of Keens in Cahors and virtually skipped the rest of the way. It’s amazing what a good pair of shoes can do.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
Hoka provide a lot of cushion, some have vibram soles and come in wide widths. I will be hiking in the hoka kana boot. Very light weight.

Hi Wandalina -
Perhaps consider the range of mens’ trail runners in the outdoors stores as part of your research. I understand that mens’ shoes can often be manufactured in wider fittings than the same model in womens’ fittings. Forum members who have knowledge here may be able to help.
Good luck with finding a shoe that’s a perfect fit and which will take you happily and comfortably on the Norte.
Buen Camino and cheers from Oz -
Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a similar problem. My dainty lady feet are big and wide.
I found two solutions.
First, men’s Merrill Moabs fit me the best. Very comfortable, wide, I got mid-highs and they were very comfortable for two Caminos for a total of 2500 Kms.
My second, best kept secret, was something I learned on this forum years ago. Stick a sanitary pad on the insole of your boot. Yep, a sanitary pad - not the thin, unobtrusive kind, but the big, puffy, cheap kind. They provide cushioning (you said the soles seemed hard and uncomfortable) and also help absorb sweat, keeping your feet dry. You can easily replace them as needed.
I follow these two tips every time I plan a significant hike and always when I do a Camino.
Buen Camino, make sure your use hiking poles.

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
Hi Wandalina. I buy Meindl in the Great Outdoors. I take them with me, or wear them, when I want to check with them about the estimate their expert fitters might say remains in the soles. If the staff person is new, I ask for an experienced person for the footwear section...
Like Malingerer, I buy insoles that they stock and fit, as they do not recommend the ones that are in the boots/shoes. When I asked the first time, in 2006, why the insoIes are not recommended, I was told the makers realise that those who buy them will likely change the insoles anyway, so they don't spend too much effort in making them good enough...
I take a smaller size than you, but my foot is very wide. The fit of the boots suits me better than the shoe. Trust me, they are about double the cost - but they last a long time.
Buen camino!

@Wandalina
I bought shoes once from Basecamp in Dublin. https://basecamp.ie/ They used to be in Middle Abbey Street but they have moved around the corner since.

They were the best shoes I ever bought and I think it was not because of the brand but for two other reasons:

1 The staff were amazingly helpful. I was not living in Dublin at the time but they were very responsive to email enquiries before I came up to the shop and very knowledgeable. It is an independent shop.

2. When I went, on a Saturday morning, I was able to spend well over an hour and a half trying on different shoes. They were wonderfully patient. And there was no pressure and if I had said I was not going to buy I don't think they would have been put out.

I am looking to buy shoes again right now, but sadly I am not staying in Ireland at the moment or I would go straight back there.

They are very 'Camino-aware' and used to do Camino advice sessions. I never went because I was not living near Dublin.

[Obviously I have no connection with the store.]

Buen camino.

Tim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Wandalina
I bought shoes once from Basecamp in Dublin. https://basecamp.ie/ They used to be in Middle Abbey Street but they have moved around the corner since.

They were the best shoes I ever bought and I think it was not because of the brand but for two other reasons:

1 The staff were amazingly helpful. I was not living in Dublin at the time but they were very responsive to email enquiries before I came up to the shop and very knowledgeable. It is an independent shop.

2. When I went, on a Saturday morning, I was able to spend well over an hour and a half trying on different shoes. They were wonderfully patient. And there was no pressure and if I had said I was not going to buy I don't think they would have been put out.

I am looking to buy shoes again right now, but sadly I am not staying in Ireland at the moment or I would go straight back there.

They are very 'Camino-aware' and used to do Camino advice sessions. I never went because I was not living near Dublin.

[Obviously I have no connection with the store.]

Buen camino.

Tim
Thanks Tim great advice i really appreciate it

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
i hear ya! i have exactly the same problem and usually wear Scarpa. However for my walk in May i bought Salomon X Ultra 04W and they were excellent. Good width and great grip, light with enough cushion (my Scarpa mojito didn't have enough cushioning. They are black and grey and (i think, pretty horrible to look at ) but they did the job really well. I am also awaiting delivery of a pair of Scarpa Rush which look promising. my Salomon's are size 38/5 and i have ordered a 39/6 in these as the 38/5 were a little too short.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Getting ready for my camino start end of September. Having a devil of a time with my feet and shoes. Into a local shop here in Canada. They sold me on Merrill MOAB. They feel like slippers to me. Fingers crossed that I have found "the ones"

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
I have a wide men's foot (4E)and the best shoe I have found are Hoka one one bondi. They have a large foot box.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore Men's 860 New Balance 4 E (very wide)to complete the Camino Frances and the Camino Le Puy plus I added the three days over the Pyrenees to Pamplona. I wore ininji toe sox, thick merino wool sox and inserted gel insoles which I changed half way. The most important thing I did was purchase walking poles at the start. I am awkward at going down hills and they made it easy.
65 year old female

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
I'm late in answering you, however, I felt it was worth letting you know I have wide feet & since wearing Keen's shoes, sandles & boots I have never had any foot trouble. They are a wide fit and very comfortable. I have now been wearing Keen's for over 6 years with great success. cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree with you on this. My husband and I just walked aprox 600 miles SJPdP to Santiago 5/20-7/3 2022. I have wide feet with high arch and super weak ankles and these shoes were life savers. We did the Camino St. Jean to Santiago in 2015 and I used Hoka shoes that tore my feet up (I ended up cutting the toes out of the shoes for the last 100 miles - worth it!!!). The Altra Lone Peak 6 were terrific, but I did use a super foot insole when the walking surface was mostly gravel and switched back to Altra insoles on mostly hard surface days. I also recommend glide or vaseline for feet every morning. I definitely spent time in zero drop shoes this past winter getting my feet and body used to the new demands. My Altras are still in pretty decent shape I might add, I might recommend "dirty girl" ankle gaiters to boot to keep rocks and sand out of shoe collar. I am so excited for you to have a buen camino.

Hi Wandalina. I buy Meindl in the Great Outdoors. I take them with me, or wear them, when I want to check with them about the estimate their expert fitters might say remains in the soles. If the staff person is new, I ask for an experienced person for the footwear section...
Like Malingerer, I buy insoles that they stock and fit, as they do not recommend the ones that are in the boots/shoes. When I asked the first time, in 2006, why the insoIes are not recommended, I was told the makers realise that those who buy them will likely change the insoles anyway, so they don't spend too much effort in making them good enough...
I take a smaller size than you, but my foot is very wide. The fit of the boots suits me better than the shoe. Trust me, they are about double the cost - but they last a long time.
Buen camino!
Hi Kirkie I am very interested in this thread and particularly your comments on Meindls. I also buy in Great Outdoors and have used the Meindl Responds shoes on the CF and CP. Also use the boots for some local climbing (eg Croagh Patrick). Just bought shoes Meindl Journey Pro GTX, still in the box. Not sure it was a good choice. Starting Primitivo in a fortnight but think I will use the boots as there is a lot of climbing. Also fit me better than shoe. What Meindl boot do you use? Do you use them for all Camino walking? I take your point about getting experienced person in shop.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
Use sheepskin inner soles.

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance x
I find the Keen boots best for wide feet. These were too hot in early September 2019. I finished my camino in Hoka one one sneakers with good tread, they were lighter and excellent cushioning. They also have a trail shoe that is waterproof, but not as cushioned as the trail sneakers. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is no help for the original poster but it may be useful for others who manage to read this far. I present a copy of a post I made on another thread.

For any women reading this thread: We live in the Boston area where New Balance shoes are made. I was talking about shoes with a woman friend who wears 4E width shoes. She spent quite a bit of researching and from what I remember her saying was that apparently Hitchcock/Wideshoes.com has a exclusive contract with New Balance and the only place you can get women's New Balance wide (or maybe it was extra wide) shoes are with them.

Hitchcock sells several brands made with both womens' and mens' lasts.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.