• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Wonderful place to stay in Riego del Camino

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Today we arrived in Riego del Camino and are staying at Casa Camino. The three hospitaleros, Sandra, Sara and Bea, provided us with lunch, tapas, dinner and breakfast in a beautifully restored building. All for donativo.
This place is exceptional and the girls will feed you even if you wish to stay at the albergue. They also offer drinks and food for those continuing on to Granja de Moruela.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Today we arrived in Riego del Camino and are staying at Casa Camino. The three hospitaleros, Sandra, Sara and Bea, provided us with lunch, tapas, dinner and breakfast in a beautifully restored building. All for donativo.
This place is exceptional and the girls will feed you even if you wish to stay at the albergue. They also offer drinks and food for those continuing on to Granja de Moruela.
That sounds wonderful. My previous visits to Riego del Camino have not been that pleasant, with a bar that really didn't appeal, so both times I went on to Granja de M. But Riejo del Camino is almost exactly half way between Zamora and Tábara. So I hope to stop there next time I pass. Thanks for the tip.

Couldn't agree more with alansykes. I've been through there twice and the bar and albergue were in poor condition. This is great news.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Indeed great news, I was considering it as good place to stop, now I am sure I will definitely go for it! Zamora-Riego del Camino it shall be, gracias!!!

Thank you. I am just on day 2 but will hope to stay there or at least stop.

Hi Sharon,
Perhaps you could post some details, most of us on the VdeLP know about Riego, it's well known for the condition of the bar on the main road, the landlady shouted at me last year because I bought a beer and drank it in the bus shelter just down the road.
Regards
George

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great news for those wishing to walk Zamora-Riego del Camino. I am probably the only one who has stayed there three times:eek:! Each time the bar was in a more deplorable condition - a beer was all that I dared to order and I am far from picky!

Here is a website for Casa Camino in Riego del Camino:

http://casacaminoriego.weebly.com/

The spreadsheet on this forum lists the distances to be about 34 km from Zamora and then 32 more on to Tabara the next day, so if you are OK with these distances it looks good.

Great to read these replies. The man at the bar yelled at us when we said we were going to Casa Camino! The girls who run Casa Camino are committed to looking after pilgrims. The food is delicious.
They transported my brother-in-law to Tabara to see the doctor about his blisters. Also, translated for him at the doctor's.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Book ahead as they only have 4/5 beds. Best o camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed there last fall and was their last pilgrim guest. But watch this space, a member of this forum has been interested in reopening the albergue. The challenge is that the owner of the building wanted to sell it, so it had to close. As I understand it, he did not get his desired price in the first year after closure, so maybe there will be a possibility of it being available at a reasonable price to someone wishing to reopen.

I've messaged them seeing if they will be open again as I will be passing that way in March. I will update if I find out anything.

I stayed there last fall and was their last pilgrim guest. But watch this space, a member of this forum has been interested in reopening the albergue. The challenge is that the owner of the building wanted to sell it, so it had to close. As I understand it, he did not get his desired price in the first year after closure, so maybe there will be a possibility of it being available at a reasonable price to someone wishing to reopen.
The owner is also forum member (as is potential buyer) and he posted that until the selling is done the premises are functioning in accepting pilgrims. Maybe something has changed since then..., don't know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back