• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wondering if our next camino is Portugues...?

KerryW

KerryW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Norte/Prim 2019
My husband and I walked St Jean PDP to Santiago de Compostela last Sept-Oct and loved every single day ... we now don't want to do any other holiday - great things to experience - see, hear, sense - it is now in our blood. We just can't decide which one to do next! Advice? We're tossing up Portugues but maybe Le Puy, or Primitivo or ....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April in Portugal has been amazing, this year. Locals say: it's raining all the time in April? We have got 10 minutes thunder, that's all. It's absolutely up to the weather, at least on this costal route, that we are walking at the moment..

Also walked from SJPP last Sept (14th). Wonderful walk and we are now planning for the Portugues for similar dates. Will walk shorter route in 2017 starting in Porto. Maybe we will see you there.

Olá,

I have done the CP in spring, in summer and in autumn and I love it. Well, May last year was a bit on the cool and rainy side. My suggestion: do it in September. Not crowded at all , good weather and fresh fruits all around. Caminho da Costa or Caminho Central? You can choose on your first days, depending on the weather. If it´s raining cats and dogs on the coastal way you can easily switch to the Central way where it is more protected. Link:

https://www.ipma.pt/pt/otempo/prev.localidade.hora/#Porto&Matosinhos

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would do the Portuguese before the Primitivo because the latter is so spectacular that the former cannot compare. On the other hand, if your vibe is stopping in bars, the Portuguese wins!

My daughter and I walked the Portugese camino recently, starting at in late March and we loved it. There was only one day with a bit of rain, mostly it was lovely sunny weather. There were enough people on the walk to have good company, and we quickly made some lovely friends who we met up with most nights. There was always room in the alberges, never a bed rush. Our only regret was that it was over too quickly and all too soon, we had to leave Santiago and come back to school and work. We are planning to do the Primitivo at the same time next year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Portugese beginning last April 29 on the coastal route with a desire to change things up a bit, having walked the Frances once in September and again in May. It was a lesson in how what one person loves another may not be so crazy about. I was walking without a guidebook but figured it would be marked well (like the Frances) and in some places it was, in others not at all. It's also MUCH quieter than the Frances. If you're looking for camaraderie and meeting lots of new people (one of my favorite things about the Frances) you'll most likely be out of luck. I cut over from Caminha to Valenca to join the interior route after having two days of seeing no other pilgrims. The interior route saved me from calling it quits, simply because it felt like the Caminos I'd experienced before. But quiet may be what you're after. Having breakfast in Santiago after finishing I met a guy from Germany who had just walked the Portugese coastal route and talked about how wonderful it was to have it so quiet with so few pilgrims. (Everything I didn't like about it.) So I guess the Camino (good or bad) is in the eye of the beholder.

My expectations have come true. There really is a lot more pilgrims after Porto. But not actually any bedrush. Da Costa route is amazing and so well waymarked, that any guidbook is needed to find the Way. The weather seems to continue perfect for walking for at least next days.
Bom Caminho

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would do the Portuguese before the Primitivo because the latter is so spectacular that the former cannot compare. On the other hand, if your vibe is stopping in bars, the Portuguese wins!

Thanks! Would you just jump into doing the Primitivo instead of CP?

Thanks! Would you just jump into doing the Primitivo instead of CP?
Depends what you like. I probably wouldn't do the Portuguese again but two couples are going to do it based on what I've told them so it's not all negative!! I'd do the Primitivo again but can't tell you to not do the Portuguese!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband and I walked St Jean PDP to Santiago de Compostela last Sept-Oct and loved every single day ... we now don't want to do any other holiday - great things to experience - see, hear, sense - it is now in our blood. We just can't decide which one to do next! Advice? We're tossing up Portugues but maybe Le Puy, or Primitivo or ....
We did the CP (after starting in Sagres and taking the Rota Vicentina) last year, and we had a great time. Weather was awesome while we were there, end of May to first of July. Highly recommend the coastal route out of Porto. We cut inland at Anguiras and headed to Vila do Conde then on to Arcos. I mention this because from Vila do Conde to Arcos we were on the N309...asphalt, narrow (or no) shoulders, fast drivers, etc. So, fair warning. Once past that though, it was smooth sailing, so don't let that discourage you.

April in Portugal has been amazing, this year. Locals say: it's raining all the time in April? We have got 10 minutes thunder, that's all. It's absolutely up to the weather, at least on this costal route, that we are walking at the moment..
I am starting the same route on Monday :). Looking forward temperatures above 24 degrees... ;)

I walked the Portugese beginning last April 29 on the coastal route with a desire to change things up a bit, having walked the Frances once in September and again in May. It was a lesson in how what one person loves another may not be so crazy about. I was walking without a guidebook but figured it would be marked well (like the Frances) and in some places it was, in others not at all. It's also MUCH quieter than the Frances. If you're looking for camaraderie and meeting lots of new people (one of my favorite things about the Frances) you'll most likely be out of luck. I cut over from Caminha to Valenca to join the interior route after having two days of seeing no other pilgrims. The interior route saved me from calling it quits, simply because it felt like the Caminos I'd experienced before. But quiet may be what you're after. Having breakfast in Santiago after finishing I met a guy from Germany who had just walked the Portugese coastal route and talked about how wonderful it was to have it so quiet with so few pilgrims. (Everything I didn't like about it.) So I guess the Camino (good or bad) is in the eye of the beholder.
Primitivo is even more quiet than Portugese. I have walked one day without meeting ANY person (not another pilgrim!!!). Very remote areas but simply stunning views...:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am walking the CP currently, commenced in Lisbon and now about 50km past Porto. As others have said there were not a lot of pilgrims prior to Porto, but I loved the solitude and met some wonderful Portuguese people along the way. The weather has been spectacular over the past 4 weeks, sunshine every day. This is my first Camino so nothing else to compare with but I recommend it - even with the cobble stone roads!

We did the CP (after starting in Sagres and taking the Rota Vicentina) last year, and we had a great time. Weather was awesome while we were there, end of May to first of July. Highly recommend the coastal route out of Porto. We cut inland at Anguiras and headed to Vila do Conde then on to Arcos. I mention this because from Vila do Conde to Arcos we were on the N309...asphalt, narrow (or no) shoulders, fast drivers, etc. So, fair warning. Once past that though, it was smooth sailing, so don't let that discourage you.
Is the N309 route from Vila do Conde a marked Camino route, or were you just looking to cut inland at that point? Is there another route you would take inland if you were to walk that again? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is the N309 route from Vila do Conde a marked Camino route, or were you just looking to cut inland at that point? Is there another route you would take inland if you were to walk that again? Thanks!
We took the coastal route out of Porto which was well-marked and, yes, we then cut back inland to pick up what I'll call the main CP route. We looked at it in as many ways as we could think of to avoid asphalt, but eventually decided we needed to be on the N309 to get to Arcos. It was actually sort of a pretty walk, and I don't want to discourage you from taking it, just be aware there are some narrow stretches with limited shoulders.

Also walked from SJPP last Sept (14th). Wonderful walk and we are now planning for the Portugues for similar dates. Will walk shorter route in 2017 starting in Porto. Maybe we will see you there.
I'll be walking the Portugues route in September this year, but I'll be finished on the 15th.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back