• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wondering which month is the best to walk the Camino Norte

KerryW

KerryW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Norte/Prim 2019
Hi everyone. My husband and I have walked both the Camino Frances and the Via Podiensis over the past 20 months and are now planning our next adventure for 2019. We're considering the Norte or Portuguese and so thought I'd ask which month/s are the best to walk the Norte. Feedback?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone. My husband and I have walked both the Camino Frances and the Via Podiensis over the past 20 months and are now planning our next adventure for 2019. We're considering the Norte or Portuguese and so thought I'd ask which month/s are the best to walk the Norte. Feedback?

Having completed the Norte beginning April 16th with great weather to start with I’d say either April or May. We had some rain and cold weather so perhaps May is better. Good luck

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maggie,
Hubby and I are currently enjoying a rest day in Oviedo after walking the first 7 days of the Northern route. Last year we did the Portuguese route from Porto and the year before we did the first 3rd and last 3rd of the French route.
If you plan on doing the Portuguese you may want to consider skipping some places between Porto and Tui as it was Not fun being right on the road next to zooming vehicles. After Tui it was very nice though!
This northern route has been the most difficult of all with the first 5-6 days constantly going up and down. Very beautiful walking so it’s definitely worth the effort. Due to time we have to jump ahead but totally enjoyed the journey this time too!! If you’re looking for more scenery I would say the northern route for sure. Yesterday as we were going from Guemes to Santander the walking was RIGHT on the coast and even on the beach. An absolute amazing walk....even in the misty light rain!
Enjoy whichever you decide!

Any month of year fine spring or autumn best

Maggie,
Hubby and I are currently enjoying a rest day in Oviedo after walking the first 7 days of the Northern route. Last year we did the Portuguese route from Porto and the year before we did the first 3rd and last 3rd of the French route.
If you plan on doing the Portuguese you may want to consider skipping some places between Porto and Tui as it was Not fun being right on the road next to zooming vehicles. After Tui it was very nice though!
This northern route has been the most difficult of all with the first 5-6 days constantly going up and down. Very beautiful walking so it’s definitely worth the effort. Due to time we have to jump ahead but totally enjoyed the journey this time too!! If you’re looking for more scenery I would say the northern route for sure. Yesterday as we were going from Guemes to Santander the walking was RIGHT on the coast and even on the beach. An absolute amazing walk....even in the misty light rain!
Enjoy whichever you decide!
Yes I definitely agree with the walk from Guemes to Sandander- fantastically exilerating though it was cold and windy. Definitely recommend the Norte even though there were more stages walking for hours on the road than I would have liked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
October was really nice.

Hard to predict. The weather has it's own ways here. Spring is nice because of everything starting to blossom again, summer should better be avoided because of not enough space in albergues and autumn might have the best chance for nice weather. But absolutely no guarantees.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back