• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wonders and Wanders Along the Way - A Camino Photo Essay

hdduff

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (October 2019)
Hello fellow pilgrims, past, present, and future! I've spent the past several weeks editing photos and formalizing thoughts from my Camino Frances experience this autumn. I walked from SJPDP to Finisterre.

I've recently published a photo essay about this journey, part long-form storytelling, part travelogue, part photo gallery. I'm pretty happy with it, and wanted to share in case anyone else is feeling nostalgic! Best viewed on desktop and enjoyed with a steaming mug of your favourite hot drink.

Link: https://hilaryduff.exposure.co/camino-de-santiago

Hope you enjoy! Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Caminosmall-108.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello from Newfoundland ! Iā€™ve just finished reading your essay on the Camino Frances and I thought it was terrific......really enjoyed it ! I walked the Frances for the first time in May/June this year and your story took me right back there......Iā€™m repeating the same route in 2020 starting from St Jean PdP on May 8th.....canā€™t wait! Thanks for sharing !!

Great work on your essay, a wonderful read and your photography is outstanding. I'll now be reading through the other photo essays that you have posted.
Thank you for the enjoyment!
Frank

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello from Newfoundland ! Iā€™ve just finished reading your essay on the Camino Frances and I thought it was terrific......really enjoyed it ! I walked the Frances for the first time in May/June this year and your story took me right back there......Iā€™m repeating the same route in 2020 starting from St Jean PdP on May 8th.....canā€™t wait! Thanks for sharing !!

Hello from Ontario! Thanks for taking the time to read, Martin. So glad you enjoyed it! Were the fields in La Meseta green at that time of year? I would love to go back when the poppies and sunflowers are blooming... Buen (future) camino!

Great work on your essay, a wonderful read and your photography is outstanding. I'll now be reading through the other photo essays that you have posted.
Thank you for the enjoyment!
Frank

Thanks, Frank! I have many more hiking-related photo essays to post, and writing this one has offered some more motivation. The most similar other one I'd have would be the Layover Hat Trick, especially the part related to hiking the Laugavegur trek in Iceland! https://hilaryduff.exposure.co/the-layover-hat-trick Enjoy!

Hello from Ontario! Thanks for taking the time to read, Martin. So glad you enjoyed it! Were the fields in La Meseta green at that time of year? I would love to go back when the poppies and sunflowers are blooming... Buen (future) camino!
IMG_20190522_1011219.jpgIMG_20190511_1032596-EFFECTS.jpgIMG_20190513_1302075-EFFECTS.jpgIMG_20190522_1235317.jpgIMG_20190514_1423371.jpg

As green as green......the fall is beautiful and Iā€™ve waked before from Las Hererias to Oā€™Cebrero through the chestnut trees at that time of year which is spectacular but you should return in the spring and witness the wild flowers and the birdsong !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow pilgrims, past, present, and future! I've spent the past several weeks editing photos and formalizing thoughts from my Camino Frances experience this autumn. I walked from SJPDP to Finisterre.

I've recently published a photo essay about this journey, part long-form storytelling, part travelogue, part photo gallery. I'm pretty happy with it, and wanted to share in case anyone else is feeling nostalgic! Best viewed on desktop and enjoyed with a steaming mug of your favourite hot drink.

View attachment 68143
Stunning photos! Very nice essay. Thank you Hilary for sharing your Camino. It was an excellent revisit of Camino Frances. Well wishes to you in your future travels!

View attachment 68152View attachment 68153View attachment 68154View attachment 68155View attachment 68156

As green as green......the fall is beautiful and Iā€™ve waked before from Las Hererias to Oā€™Cebrero through the chestnut trees at that time of year which is spectacular but you should return in the spring and witness the wild flowers and the birdsong !
Oh WOW! That's stunning! I know exactly where some of those were taken, too! You'll see my days through La Meseta were a bit foggier. Beautiful shots ā€” thank you so much for sharing!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a wonderful essay Hilary - itā€™s beautifully written and has stunning photos. Julio took some fantastic photos too.
I admire your courage and fortitude in pressing on in such terrible weather - that shows true grit.
I loved your last paragraph - thatā€™s what the Camino is all about ...
Buen Camino for your next Camino!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Thank you for sharing your Camino with great photos and insightful writing. It adds to the persistent calling that will draw us back in the not too distant future.
Cheers and Happy New Year and safe, exciting adventures.
PS Link to my blog from Camino from Leon 2018.

What a wonderful essay Hilary - itā€™s beautifully written and has stunning photos. Julio took some fantastic photos too.
I admire your courage and fortitude in pressing on in such terrible weather - that shows true grit.
I loved your last paragraph - thatā€™s what the Camino is all about ...
Buen Camino for your next Camino!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Thank you for your comment, Jenny! I can't wait to one day go back at another time of year and see the greens of La Meseta as others have spoken about. In the meantime, the wind, rain, and snow definitely made for some memorable days! But I look back on them so fondly.

Buen Camino for future adventures, and happy new year!

Thank you for sharing your Camino with great photos and insightful writing. It adds to the persistent calling that will draw us back in the not too distant future.
Cheers and Happy New Year and safe, exciting adventures.
PS Link to my blog from Camino from Leon 2018.
Hi Dennis, thank you for reading! And for sharing your personal Camino blog. I love how open most are to sharing their reflections and photos from the Way. Everyone has such unique experiences, though bound together by a common love for the Camino. I will check it out! Happy New Year!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 68143

View attachment 68143
THANK YOU! Amazing journey and awesome writing!

View attachment 68143
Very nice, that would be the goal for our next Camino. Here is what I did for my first one in Portugal: https://theportuguesecamino.wordpress.com

View attachment 68143
so many good pics and a great narrative. That first day out of SJPP is a rite of passage and definitely gives you bragging rights back home That was my 2nd hardest day, but I would go back again tomorrow. Buen Camino. Great job.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience in such a beautiful way. I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, photography and the style with which you put it all together. It brought back many happy memories of our Camino Frances in 2015.

Now how about walking and writing about the Camino Primitivo (the original way)? My husband and I who are at the opposite age spectrum to you (73 and 80 years) walked the Primitivo last May. It was hard! We will never do it again! But we were so glad we did it this one time because of how absolutely stunning it was. Can we tempt you??? :) https://throughourlookingglass.ca.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
so many good pics and a great narrative. That first day out of SJPP is a rite of passage and definitely gives you bragging rights back home That was my 2nd hardest day, but I would go back again tomorrow. Buen Camino. Great job.
Thank you! Second hardest day, huh ā€” so curious to hear about your first! The route out of SJPDP may be challenging, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I still dream about that landscape!

Loved your pictures and commentary! My walk will be in late spring and I am much looking forward to it!
Thank you! So exciting to hear about your upcoming Camino. That should be a beautiful time of year, too. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience in such a beautiful way. I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, photography and the style with which you put it all together. It brought back many happy memories of our Camino Frances in 2015.

Now how about walking and writing about the Camino Primitivo (the original way)? My husband and I who are at the opposite age spectrum to you (73 and 80 years) walked the Primitivo last May. It was hard! We will never do it again! But we were so glad we did it this one time because of how absolutely stunning it was. Can we tempt you??? :) https://throughourlookingglass.ca.
Judy DO NOT tempt me about walking another Camino. Because I will drop everything and do it right now! I'm eying up either the Camino Portuguese or the Camino Norte for my next Way, but perhaps I'll change my mind after looking at your site. Thank you for reading and commenting on my photo essay :)

ā‚¬60,-

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back