• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wood Hiking Sticks/Poles Bring or Buy upon arrival?

AuldCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2014)
I would really like to take a wood hiking pole/stick but I am a little concerned with transport from the USA. I am planning on flying into Madrid then taking the train to Pamplona and starting the Camino from there. Anyone fly recently from the states with this type of situation? Any advice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi AuldCamino,

do you mind if I ask why you want to walk with a wooden walking pole? I assume that you mean something like a single wooden staff that would come up to about shoulder height.

While a single wooden staff would be stylish, it would not be as effective as two walking poles if your objectives are to:
provide maximum additional forward momentum while you are walking to assist with your endurance during your walking hours,
assist with balance, especially over rocky and downhill terrain, and
lifting weight off your feet, joints and back.

Cheers,

Jason.

Ahh yes, another thing: it's alwyas a good idea to train with the kit you are going to use before hand so you can be sure that it will perform they way you want it to and early enough so you can try different things if what you have selected doesn't meet expectations. It would be frustrating to go to the effort of lugging something from the US only to ditch it shortly after because it was more a hindrance than a help (or you got blisters on your hands etc).

Have to agree with jastrace, wooden poles are slippery when wet, two are better than one but don't photograph as nicely and yes you must check them separately to fly-in America meaning more expense to get there and a very good chance to lose them. Black Diamond etc. are marvelous, will telescope into your backpack for travel or when you don't need them and if you really want a wooden stick, get it in Spain-they are also biodegradable when you get tired of them and decide to chunk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would also agree with Scruffy and jastrace on the staff/poles issue. For years I used a 6ft staff while hillwalking in Ireland and I fully intended to bring one on the camino but my brother persuaded me to use walking poles and after a bit of instruction on how to set the correct length and how to use them properly I found them invaluable and would never go back to the staff. I know the staff looks nice and pilgrimy but they are not practical and the poles really help take the load of your legs and back.

I've never regularly used poles on Camino. I did buy a cheap one in Sarria towards the end of my second Camino Frances just to try it for a few days and I'm still in two minds about it.

The main issue for me is that I get swollen hands when walking with my arms down by my side. Apparently this is common, and using (presumably two) walking poles helps. It's not a major issue but sometimes when you stop for a coffee you find it difficult to pick up the cup!

The other issue I have is that I like to pick up litter along the Way, which is more difficult with hiking poles. At least my telescopic one can be attached to my pack if I'm on a litter mission. A wooden pole has to be carried the whole way.

Buen Camino!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really do appreciate the feedback. To answer some really good points and questions, I want to use a wooden pole because I only really need a third point of balance and an agressive dog deterrent. To counteract the slipperiness factor, I was planning on using a wrist lanyard.

I am also thinking that I want to keep one hand free just in case I do lose my balance. I tend to instinctively flail about trying to catch my balance so having two sticks in my hands wouldn't be all that useful. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi

I've had poles taken from me on internal European flights. Some do this, some dont. They were removed by security , not the airline.

So I returned to what i like best, a wooden stick, cut in Spain. I suggest you dont buy a stick because they are too straight and send the shock/tap right up the wood to your arm. They also look naff, like a tourist stick. A cut stick will have even a tiny bend in it, which acts as a shock absorber.

I cut a stick to just at armpit length , with a thickness of about a thumb thickness. If you wish you can attach a wrapround cord loop about 20 cms from the top to put your wrist through, tho' I dont do this.

You are unlikely to have dog problems but are right to think of it. A dog may well not come near you just on seeing the stick. And if you need to use it, it's far better than a walking pole, which has no weight. But prevention is best and the sight may do it.

Walking sticks make good companions, they listen well and will never leave you. It is unfortunate tha t the airlines or security doesnt share in your relationship. If you wrap it well a walking stick can be checked with your baggage. If wrapped well it wont suffer to much damage. I prefer wooden sticks for the strength, not that treking poles dont do the same but I have had them telescope in on me under weight. I agree with you, it is nice to have a free hand..

And the sound of the wood against paving stone and gravel sings a song all its own.

And the sound of the wood against paving stone and gravel sings a song all its own.
A song that I stop for, and let pass. It can be as irritating as trekking poles without rubber tips. To each his own; I often need to take a break and don't, so the wooden poles may be a blessing in disguise. Adding metal tips makes them like trekking poles with a sound board to magnify the click. Rubber tips that may fit the end of the pole can be found in hardware stores and some China stores. They are replacements for cane tips, in general.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
wayfarer said:
I would also agree with Scruffy and jastrace on the staff/poles issue. For years I used a 6ft staff while hillwalking in Ireland and I fully intended to bring one on the camino but my brother persuaded me to use walking poles and after a bit of instruction on how to set the correct length and how to use them properly I found them invaluable and would never go back to the staff. I know the staff looks nice and pilgrimy but they are not practical and the poles really help take the load of your legs and back.

I dont carry a staff to look 'pilgrimy'. :shock: :D But I have seen some with immense staffs of 6feet and more than that does look funny. In that case, I think you're wise to get poles. Otherwise, staffs of a sensible length are practical, and if they have no tip, make no irritating sound. The tap of a metal end would be annoying. I have used a walking pole and that did click annoyingly, but you get used to it. I'm not sure how a pole 'takes the load off your back' though?

Poles are ok but you can have trouble at airports, even inside the pack. I quite like the pole, but prefer the staff.

And there's no travel problem with staffs for you leave them behind.

AuldCamino said:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I really do appreciate the feedback. To answer some really good points and questions, I want to use a wooden pole because I only really need a third point of balance and an agressive dog deterrent. To counteract the slipperiness factor, I was planning on using a wrist lanyard.

I am also thinking that I want to keep one hand free just in case I do lose my balance. I tend to instinctively flail about trying to catch my balance so having two sticks in my hands wouldn't be all that useful. :D

The wooden staff that I got in Spain worked well during my Camino in 2011 and worked even better when a dog got aggressive with me. I had the tall staff that extended to my shoulder.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3 caminos, no dogs, 3 wooden sticks collected in the woods, peeled trimmed and worked by myself. No click clacking for 500 miles. Peace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carried one telescopic aluminium walking stick. When folded it fit in my pack (checked baggage) for travel. I carried it in hand until the weather got cold when it acted as a radiator and caused my hand to get cold. Then it got carried on my pack for most of the rest of the walk.

While it was nice to have a stick to use as a brake going down hill, my view is that pole was unnecessary weight. The entire camino has no technically difficult ground; most of it can be driven on by any vehicle so the pole is not needed to help keep you upright. If I walk the camino again I won't bring a pole.

As for dogs, I found that pretending to throw rocks worked well. With dogs that weren't immediately deterred by the falsehood, an actual well-aimed rock was sufficient.

I was at a rest stop near Fuentes Nuevas with some other walkers. One fellow began trimming a stick for use a staff. He was using a 3 inch saw blade on his multitool. He managed to cut his hand badly enough to require stitches. Fortunately there was a hospital almost within rock throwing distance. He'd have been in real trouble had he cut himself in a more isolated area. I would recommend that if you want a staff, buy it.

I will be flying from Mexico City to Madrid for my Camino and will be bringing my aluminum Pacer Poles (with rubber tips to avoid any irritating clicking noises on pavement). Has anyone had experiences with flights originating from Mexico to know if they will let you bring them on in your carry-on backpack? I suppose I could pack them in a separate package and check them as baggage, but I don't know what the odds of their not making it would be. The flight is a direct, non-stop flight.

No experience from Mexico however I tried to take mine in a carryon bag on an Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid on the way return home and was sent out to the counter to check them. Luckily Santiago has a small user friendly airport and it didn't take long, unluckily Iberia lost them.
S

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
A song that I stop for, and let pass. It can be as irritating as trekking poles without rubber tips. To each his own; I often need to take a break and don't, so the wooden poles may be a blessing in disguise. Adding metal tips makes them like trekking poles with a sound board to magnify the click. Rubber tips that may fit the end of the pole can be found in hardware stores and some China stores. They are replacements for cane tips, in general.

Amen.

And what about those who cannot negotiate the streets of santiago without trekking poles that they don't know how to use?

lbpierce said:
I will be flying from Mexico City to Madrid for my Camino and will be bringing my aluminum Pacer Poles (with rubber tips to avoid any irritating clicking noises on pavement). Has anyone had experiences with flights originating from Mexico to know if they will let you bring them on in your carry-on backpack? I suppose I could pack them in a separate package and check them as baggage, but I don't know what the odds of their not making it would be. The flight is a direct, non-stop flight.

Simple really, pack them in your rucksack, & check everything to go in the hold, its peace of mind.
& you definitely will not be able to walk around with your poles in Madrid airport for your return flight.
Suggest you top & tail them when packing.
Buen Camino

I brought my telescoping Leki hiking poles and checked them. I was (overly) nervous about them getting bent or broken so I bought one of those "noodles" you use in the swimming pool to help float. I cut the noodle into six pieces across and then one cut vertically on one side to protect all the parts and used duct tape to connect all the pieces. The longest piece covered the pole from the lower edge of the handle to the part that is shaped like a circle. Then I attached them to my backpack using its various staps and do-hickeys as well as using a long piece of velco, a put the whole thing into an Osprey backpack bag and checked it. It worked really well for me. This system protected my sticks on planes, trains, ferries, buses and taxis from the US to France, Spain, Morocco, Spain, France and home again. I shipped the noodles ahead to Santiago with other stuff to avoid carrying them on the camino. You will need extra duct tape for post camino. This exercise was probably overkill but I got the peace of mind I needed in this category. It cost me less than $5.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Al the optimist said:
I could not be brave enough to check my pack! Anyway if it won't qualify for overhead baggage it's too much surely?
allan
I usually have to check mine due to size rather than weight. If someone at Ryanair is being a bit bloshy they can make your life difficult even at the point where you're about to board. Strictly speaking it shouldn't be bigger than one of those small wheely suitcases. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Freedrik said:

falcon269 said:
A song I stop for, and let pass.

Dauntdeb said:
I bought one of those "noodles" you use in the swimming pool to help float. I cut the noodle into six pieces across and then one cut vertically on one side to protect all the parts and used duct tape to connect all the pieces.

Perhaps all these ideas could go together... tape a bit of that noodle on the bottom of sticks to prevent all the clickclacking :wink: :lol: I always had to stop to let sticks pass, or hurry up until I was out of earshot. Nothing disturbed the peace more for me than the sound of poles and sticks coming up behind me.

Al the optimist said:
I have some that collapse small enough to go in my pack. Having said that would I have trouble getting them through security?
allan
When returning from Santiago earlier this year they put my pole through separately as 'outsize baggage' or similar. Unusually for Ryanair they didn't demand extra money, but I guess they're used to (and forgive) pilgs in Santiago Airport. Buen Camino! :D

ps. I'd checked the whole bag in, but they seemed to want the pole separately. Don't know why.

Fairly simple answer. A stick finds you on the camino, you dont need to bring one. And definitely not plastic ones. A wooden stick will do just fine. Use and enjoi what nature has to offer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Slighthly off topic, We plan to get the walking sticks in Spain. Maybe around 5 footers, but what is the experience bringing them back to the US? Most likely it will be put as a luggage on its own, but will they survive the trip? It would be a nice reminder of our future trip

Jackflap said:
Fairly simple answer. A stick finds you on the camino, you dont need to bring one. And definitely not plastic ones. A wooden stick will do just fine. Use and enjoi what nature has to offer.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. While great for some, sticks/poles absolutely not "necessary".

I just Spent over $250 on some carbon light weight poles 200 grams per set!!
Our you saying that there's a possibility that they may be taken?
There colapseable and would be checked in with luggage!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In spring 2011 there was an old man walking around in Los Arcos selling beautifully carved pilgrim poles, which I didn't see anywhere else. I think he was asking about 10 euros for them. According to the bar tender he just appears over the spring/summer, and approaches pilgrims sitting outside the bar by the church. It would be a lovely souvenir if you can wait that long to get one. Buen Camino!

Flatcat said:

I took Black Diamond collapsible poles (from MEC) a few months ago and loved them for their light weight and compactness. If they fit in your checked bag there would be no problem. I did that but am thinking I'd try to take them in my carry-on bag next time.

Flatcat said:

If your poles are in your checked bag, they are as safe as anything else in the bag. My poles always get collapsed and put in a checked bag. Eight successful trips to Spain and counting!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just buy them in Pamplona or so. In SJPP they're fairly expensive (though there was one shop where they were 3-4 euros cheaper than all the others) and in Pamplona they were much cheaper. Pamplona is about 3 days away from SJPP IIRC.

Definitely get two as well! I started out with none, then finally on the way out of Pamplona (because I forgot to buy some of the cheap ones I saw while in Pamplona) I stopped at a gas station and they had one that was basically a dowel rod, I'm pretty sure, but it was 3 euros so I bought it because my right knee was killing me. Wished I had bought two. I didn't get a second one until the road to Finisterre where I found one abandoned on the side of the road (one of the telescoping ones). Worked perfectly fine and there was a large difference in walking with two versus one walking stick. If I were to do it again, I'd get two from the get go.

Also sometimes you can get them for free along the Camino. People get tired of them and give them away at albergues, or throw them down at the side of the road, or some of the locals will give them out sometimes (fellow outside of Logrono was doing this) for donativo. In some form or fashion, the Camino provides, even if you're only 20 miles away from your ultimate destination. :lol:

C clearly said:
I took Black Diamond collapsible poles (from MEC) a few months ago and loved them for their light weight and compactness. If they fit in your checked bag there would be no problem. I did that but am thinking I'd try to take them in my carry-on bag next time.

Don't expect that you will be allowed to carry walking poles in cabin baggage. The TSA and equivalents in UK, etc all have them on their list of items banned from the cabin.

Some people have been 'lucky' and been able to bring them on in cabin bags, but that would appear to be as much about the individuals doing the security screening as anything.

Regards,

nreyn12 said:
Flatcat said:

If your poles are in your checked bag, they are as safe as anything else in the bag. My poles always get collapsed and put in a checked bag. Eight successful trips to Spain and counting!
Thx

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are planning to check a bag for our flight with our after-camino clothes in it - we will then send that bag ahead to Santiago upon our arrival in Spain. We will put our hiking poles in the checked bag so we can get them to Spain without having a problem with airport security, then retrieve them before we send the bag on. Like others, I am not comfortable checking our packs for the flight, so this is the work-around. I suppose if the bag with our after-camino clothes in it goes missing with our poles, we would buy new poles and worry about the missing clothes later.

Walking sticks--while in Bolivia some female backpackers had serious problems with aggressive local dogs. We had a lot of discussions in Hostels about using wooden walking sticks for problem dogs and the general consensus was that someone needs to manufacture a steel point that could be attached to a wooden hiking stick. Not much good talk about metal hiking poles either as most people had problems with poles breaking going down steep slopes on Andes trails. No one could find pepper spray or Hornet spray for problem dogs.

You are a little off topic here pilgrim; there are lots of threads that discuss the hazards presented by dogs and other animals on the Forum. The reason for my commenting here is that I wish to make it very clear to anyone following this thread that no dog will ever perceive that you have a steel point to your walking stick unless you pierce its flesh with it. Even then the dog will not appreciate that it has been pierced by a steel point, merely that it has been pierced. While I have no personal experience of aggressive dogs in Bolivia I do have experience from Europe and Africa. A stick is useful: dogs will recognise a stick and will, sadly, frequently, have experience of being struck by one. A raised stick is usually enough to dissuade a dog from actual physical attack. Another usually successful tactic is to pick up and hold a stone with the intention of throwing it. Again, dogs learn by experience.

You may, may, encounter an aggressive dog on Camino. They are there to protect their territory, the territory of their owners and that is what they will seek to do. They are no physical threat to you unless you are physically threatening their territory.

Tincatinker--Topic is Poles and Sticks--if you read the previous posts , you will find several that specifically mention dogs and sticks. Subject comes up more than you think when having a few drinks in the evenings--lot of backpackers are terrified of local dogs--like Travel Writer Paul Theroux! And one of the books I recently read about hiking the Camino specifically mentions a local farmer "Siccing" his 3 dogs on the writer as she walked by his farm.

Put them in a mailing tube you can get from UPS or elsewhere...

I made a real nice wooden hiking staff for my trip. I even attached St. James and St. Bernard medals and a small golden scallop shell to the top. Made a leather grip and strap and a carrying/shipping case out of PVC. Really nice. Then I got to thinking. I'm going to have to carry this all the way to Santiago in my hand. No chance of strapping it to my backpack. So, now I've opted for a collapsible hiking staff (just one) made out of aluminum and weighing 11 oz. I can telescope it closed and attach it to my backpack when I want my hands free. It's a shame. I will miss the "mountain sage" look the wooden staff gave me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
IBPIERCE----Mexico City--Flew out of there in February and backpackers at airport were upset that they would not let hiking poles on/in Carry On luggage for Delta flight to US.

For flights originating in the US, collapsible hiking poles are supposed to be ok, but everything is dependent upon the whims of the TSA agents in the security line. We are taking a bag of post-camino clothes with us as checked luggage anyway, so we plan to put our hiking poles and anything else that could be questionable (leatherman knife) in the checked luggage and then just get those items back out before we ship the post-Camino bag onto Santiago.

I would really like to take a wood hiking pole/stick but I am a little concerned with transport from the USA. I am planning on flying into Madrid then taking the train to Pamplona and starting the Camino from there. Anyone fly recently from the states with this type of situation? Any advice?

Dear Auld:

Although I love my 8-euro stick bought at the Samos Monastery in Sarria, and use it on urban treks back here in the States, this stick, that unscrews into portable sections for ease of transport, is very tempting...

http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/travelers-walking-stick-55

[ETA: Of course, now I see that Auld asked about this a year and a half ago or so. I didn't notice this from the Forum's tweet link accessed on my mobile...sorry.

But for those interested in this Traveler Stick that I posted about above, the company has one available for $6 off in its "bargains" section. Here's the link:
http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/oak-travelers-stick-with-combi-spike-55]

Last edited:
Dear Auld:

Although I love my 8-euro stick bought at the Samos Monastery in Sarria, and use it on urban treks back here in the States, this stick, that unscrews into portable sections for ease of transport, is very tempting...

http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/travelers-walking-stick-55

[ETA: Of course, now I see that Auld asked about this a year and a half ago or so. I didn't notice this from the Forum's tweet link accessed on my mobile...sorry.

But for those interested in this Traveler Stick that I posted about above, the company has one available for $6 off in its "bargains" section. Here's the link:
http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/oak-travelers-stick-with-combi-spike-55

I have one of these poles. It is fantastic, breaks down into 3 pieces that fit right inside my pack. I really enjoy using it! Just hope I don't have any trouble carrying it on the plane.

Hmmm, I sense another carpentry project for my beloved husband. ;)

Does anyone know where I could buy wood walking sticks near La Coruna? Our small family group will be walking from O Cebreiro to Santiago in October. Two of us already did the Portugues and the Ingles. We got our poles in Tuy in a shop. We love them and shipped them home for re-use and memories. (I still have my deceased husband's stick in a corner next to mine. Seeing it brings back great memories.) We will take ours from the US as luggage this time. The question is: where can we get similar sticks in Spain for my niece and her family near La Coruna, where we will be landing? We love the sound of the wood sticks as we walk. It's like a mantra. I don't think I could have gotten through some sections of the Caminos without the stick, especially when we were going uphill in the pouring rain.

The question is: where can we get similar sticks in Spain for my niece and her family near La Coruna, where we will be landing?

Thank you.

€60,-
where can we get similar sticks in Spain for my niece and her family near La Coruna, where we will be landing?

Thank you.
When I was last in O Cebreiro, I think I saw staffs for sale there in some of the shops (actually out front). Anyone that is currently walking or just finished have an idea?

Rambler

where can we get similar sticks in Spain for my niece and her family near La Coruna, where we will be landing?

Thank you.
When I was last in O Cebreiro, I think I saw staffs for sale there in some of the shops (actually out front). Anyone that is currently walking or just finished have an idea?

Rambler
Thanks for your quick reply. Did you notice whether they were sturdy and meant for real use, or perhaps they were meant for souvenirs?

Has anyone else seen wood walking sticks/staffs in O Cebreiro?

Thanks again.

Ceci

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400632307.328495.jpgI found this old school companion in the forest south of Tours. 62 days later, adorned with duct tape and other assorted bling it escorted me into SdC. I loved that stick like a pet. But at the end of the day it's a stick.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 10108I found this old school companion in the forest south of Tours. 62 days later, adorned with duct tape and other assorted bling it escorted me into SdC. I loved that stick like a pet. But at the end of the day it's a stick.

Thank you, Sraaen. You're right of course. I'm just so attached to my because it reminds me of my first Camino that I did with my now deceased husband. Every time I look at it, it brings back those lovely memories.

Other than that, since like most Americans, we don't have much time for the Camino, so I want to be certain I can find 3 sticks for the rest of my family.

Well Ceci I wasn't being completely honest. It became more than a stick - to the extent that I took the train to Madrid from SdC because I didn't think they'd let me take it on the plane without a hassle.

My sister lives in Madrid and hosts that stick, my Uncle Bob's Camino stick (from the mid 90's) and my other stick from the Le Puy route. (Picture attached). My sister Jill keeps them on her terrace, displayed prominently. When I talk to her I always ask "How are you?" "How is Sandi?" (my niece) and "how are the sticks?"

I'm sorry if I came across as minimizing the importance of the walking stick. I think we're kindred spirits though in considering their importance as emotional over practical.

Well Ceci I wasn't being completely honest. It became more than a stick - to the extent that I took the train to Madrid from SdC because I didn't think they'd let me take it on the plane without a hassle.

My sister lives in Madrid and hosts that stick, my Uncle Bob's Camino stick (from the mid 90's) and my other stick from the Le Puy route. (Picture attached). My sister Jill keeps them on her terrace, displayed prominently. When I talk to her I always ask "How are you?" "How is Sandi?" (my niece) and "how are the sticks?"

I'm sorry if I came across as minimizing the importance of the walking stick. I think we're kindred spirits though in considering their importance as emotional over practical.

Thanks, Sraaen. Of course it is also an emotional attachment, but it certainly got me through some places I never thought I would make it through. Uphill, pouring rain, slippery rocks and mud. It made the Camino just a little more doable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow. For some reason, this very morning I woke up with that song in my head and asked myself how on earth "Long may you run" got there.

The Camino is so freaking metaphysical.

Well done, mishlove.

I've used trekking poles for the last 15 years and used aluminum Komperdell poles for the Camino. I believe trekking poles have added 10 to 15 years to my hiking longevity because of the shock absorption they provide for knees, hips, and ankles. The advantage of trekking poles is their wrist strap, which takes most of the weight of the pole plant and does not require anything other than a light grip. Recently I purchased the Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles http://www.rei.com/product/839641/black-diamond-ultra-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair#specsTab. My size, 110 cms., weighs 10 ounces, amazingly light. They are carbon fiber, so they are lighter than aluminum. They are not adjustable, so the right length needs to be purchased. There are significant advantages to doing away with the adjustable length feature of most trekking poles: 1) the locking mechanism is a weak point in design and is likely to freeze up, have difficulty locking, or allow slippage at an inconvenient time, 2) the locking mechanism adds significant weight. The Black Diamond Z-Pole has sections that pull apart to collapse the poles down to an easily packable size for the airplane (14.4 inches). The lightness of these poles is a very big advantage to my mind. If I'm walking 500 miles, I would rather carry the lightest poles (and lightest everything else) possible. Personally I wouldn't wait until I was on the Camino to learn how to use trekking poles, although 500 miles is plenty of time to ponder and perfect technique.

Costco has some very nice carbon fiber poles for $29.95. I prefer them to my Black Diamond poles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hard to argue with that price!
I have consistently found that longevity is pretty directly related to price. The cheaper sprung poles just do not last long in regular use compared to their more expensive counterparts.

I have been using Komperdell poles for the past four years, and this year the spring mechanism finally gave out on one of the poles. Unfortunately, the local wholesaler does not carry replacement centre sections, so I now have a pair of Black Diamond Trail Shock poles. I estimate that the Komperdell poles lasted over 3000km of serious use, about four times as long as the next longest lasting poles I have used, and an order of magnitude or better than the cheap and cheerful end of the market. When I bought them, they were about 50% more expensive than the brand that I used on the CF, which I had used for less than 100km here in training, and which had collapsed before Villafranca.

You might get the impression that I am hard on poles. I probably am, and for the level of use I give my poles, I am prepared to pay more if it means getting the extra life from the poles.

I have consistently found that longevity is pretty directly related to price.

.The Costco poles are not spring loaded. I know some people like those, and I have a pair of Swix with springs, but they don't see much use. I will say I know my poles, in that we have every type of alpine ski, xc ski, snowshoe and hiking pole known to man, and we find those Costco poles very well made. They would not be here with me in France if they weren't. I have some Black Diamonds hanging in the garage at home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for your quick reply. Did you notice whether they were sturdy and meant for real use, or perhaps they were meant for souvenirs?

Has anyone else seen wood walking sticks/staffs in O Cebreiro?

Thanks again.

Ceci

Ceci,

I have definitely seen sturdy wooden hiking poles for sale at O Cebreiro! Why not write the hosts at your first planned stop for info on price and availability? Perhaps they might send a photo or two ?

MM

.The Costco poles are not spring loaded. I know some people like those, and I have a pair of Swix with springs, but they don't see much use. I will say I know my poles, in that we have every type of alpine ski, xc ski, snowshoe and hiking pole known to man, and we find those Costco poles very well made. They would not be here with me in France if they weren't. I have some Black Diamonds hanging in the garage at home.
Unsprung poles are a quite different proposition when it comes to longevity. Apart from replacing the rubber tips when they wear through and an even less frequent prospect of having to replace the whole bottom tip, there is no reason they shouldn't last forever. I still have a pair of Leki Enzian poles - the first technical walking poles that I purchased over a decade ago. They were recently joined by a pair of carbon fibre poles from Komperdell.

@newfydog, my collection is certainly not as extensive as yours, but I do have examples from most of the major brands sold here in Australia. For the sorts of workout that I give poles, Leki and Komperdell get my recommendation.

Ceci,

I have definitely seen sturdy wooden hiking poles for sale at O Cebreiro! Why not write the hosts at your first planned stop for info on price and availability? Perhaps they might send a photo or two ?

MM

MM to the rescue again. Great idea. Of course it would be easiest not to have to lug the staffs around too much before we start the Camino. We were able to hook ours to our packs when we stopped to eat, etc.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ceci

I've always walked with a walking stick. The one I have is one I purchased in Alaska, with a nice curved top that is pointed. I stuck a rubber cane grip on the bottom. I have trouble with my right side (hip and foot) sometimes. The hiking stick is held in my right and and supports me. I swing it with an ease every two steps....I'm very attached to it. I think I will mail said stick ahead to my first night (Corozon Puro). I am leaving some sea-glass from Alaska at the iron cross, and toyed with the idea of throwing the beloved stick in the ocean. I guess it's a personal thing. My grandmother walked with sticks and always had me pick one out when I misbehaved. :D

Bought a wooden stick in one of the souvenir shops in SJPP. Took ages to choose just the right height, color, design etc but then left it behind in my room when I left on my first day!! lol. Never mind! Hope someone else got good use out of it :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bought a wooden stick in one of the souvenir shops in SJPP. Took ages to choose just the right height, color, design etc but then left it behind in my room when I left on my first day!! lol. Never mind! Hope someone else got good use out of it :)

LOL: The next pilgrim to find it most likely thought it was a Camino miracle! :)

I love love love my poles. They assist balance, help engage my core muscles, take 15 percent of the load off my joints, generate rythym and help with knocking almonds and walnuts out of trees.

I got a really cheap sports bag that fitted my backpack and poles for the flight which checked and then dumped on arrival.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.