• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wooden stave on a flight

paddy25c

iam flying from Dublin to biarritz with ryanair , does anybody know if i can bring my wooden pole on board , or should i buy one in sjpdp , its about 4ft long

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Paddy

I checked my wooden staff in to the luggage hold when I flew with Ryanair from Santander to Dublin in 2009. It is about 5 feet long, and I have taken it on 3 caminos, starting in Australia and back again.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
paddy25c said:
iam flying from Dublin to biarritz with ryanair , does anybody know if i can bring my wooden pole on board , or should i buy one in sjpdp , its about 4ft long
Normally it won't be allowed in the cabin, but will be allowed as hold baggage. If you a planning to check your backpack, it won't be an issue. On the other hand, if you a going to try and get your backpack on as cabin luggage to avoid checked bag costs, then you would have a problem.

Regards,

Hi Paddy

No. they did not charge anything extra. They got me to tape the pack and the staff together as one unit, but when I picked them up in Dublin, they were separate and Ryanair staff had put another tag on the staff so it would not get lost in transit.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Lads, So is there's no confusion I'm thinking your bags are checked as over sized luggage with no extra charge. So you have already paid fee for bag.
Don't really want Ryanair in the doghouse!!!

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if we can purchase the walking poles in Porto? How about a good place to stay in Porto before we start the walk? We will be in Porto late April 2012. All the Best, don

Any problems bringing a wooden walking stick into Spain. Do the authorities there frown on importing wood from away (North America)? Big problems with invasive species here and some jurisdictions prohibit importing foreign wood. I am creating a stick. I will cut it down to 3 sections of 20 inches and create screw attachments to reconnect them. Have seen this for other long poles.

Any problems carrying such a shortened concoction in my carry on?

Also have a metal stick which folds and collapses. Can a collapsed metal stick generally be brought on board a plane in carry on?

Am still sorting out which stick to use on my Camino. Maybe I should use both. All suggestions welcome.

On the metal walking sticks. It is up to the airline and security. A metal walking stick has been classed as a ski pole, which is prohibited, but has also been classed as a walking aid, which is not. I wouldn't take the chance it would be confiscated and just put it in the cargo hold baggage. Perhaps you can give a bit of protection by putting them in cardboard mailing tubes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wooden staff is 5 feet long, and I have never had any trouble taking it in to Spain [ 3 times]. Getting it back in to Australia is much more difficult, with our very strict quarrantine laws. I have wrapped it in black plastic tied up with tape for travel, and check it through as oversize luggage.

Alan

Be brace. Life is joyous.

Freetime said:
On the metal walking sticks. It is up to the airline and security. I wouldn't take the chance it would be confiscated and just put it in the cargo hold baggage.
That's exactly my experience. Sometimes you can take it on board, sometimes not. Once I had sent it in the hold and it arrived broken. Another time they forced me to leave it at the security checkpoint.
Next time I'll just buy one at arrival and give it away at departure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, It shouldn't happen BUT believe it or not I spoke to two passangers after security in Dublin airport at start of June with walking poles!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back