Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Wooden Walking Stick

Beth-o

Past OR future Camino
(2014)
In order to avoid spending a lot of time searching, where might I find wooden walking sticks in Leon?
Thanks!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

CaminoJohn

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
on the Calle de la Rua..it is the camino through a medieval part of the city! Have fun!

N

nathanael

In order to avoid spending a lot of time searching, where might I find wooden walking sticks in Leon?
Thanks!
On walking sticks I have done 5 Camino's and have never bought a walking stick. Although I do us one I always give myself a day and search for a suitable from nature and it has worked.

piogaw

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
Thanks!

Welcome to the camino forum.

You can buy wooden walking sticks or poles anywhere along the path of the camino.

Buen camino and god bless.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

sriyantra

Past OR future Camino
Frances September "2014"
What about in SJPP? I have walked about 600ks training with my wooden staff and want to walk the camino with one.

Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
You can find walking sticks in nearly every village along the Camino, as Falcon says.
They range in price from 3 euros up and average around 8 euros.
You can get them all lengths and they are virtually indestructible.
I know because I had a meltdown once on the Meseta and tried to break mine over a boulder.
I ended up bruising my hand instead and tossing the danged thing into the desert, where it probably still resides.
:rolleyes:

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Beth-o

Past OR future Camino
(2014)
You can find walking sticks in nearly every village along the Camino, as Falcon says.
They range in price from 3 euros up and average around 8 euros.
You can get them all lengths and they are virtually indestructible.
I know because I had a meltdown once on the Meseta and tried to break mine over a boulder.
I ended up bruising my hand instead and tossing the danged thing into the desert, where it probably still resides.
:rolleyes:
Thanks so much. I'll try to contain myself!

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
:rolleyes:[/quote]

A melt down on the Camino????
Was it witnessed?

I left Ventosa one morning as the sun was coming up, by myself and realized my back was wet....the day before my stuff in my pack was wet...I pulled out my Camel Back (water bladder) and with tons of effort realized it was leaking....my meltdown was there infront of a vineyard gate as I kicked it down the trail ranting and raving and cursing at it.
hubby called REI (he was State side) which refunded my money in the States that very day without even having to prove it :)

Then I gathered myself together and carried on....
...that felt real good....

CaminoJohn

Past OR future Camino
No problems, in Leon, on Calle de Rua, you can find a stick in 5 mins..

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Chacharm

Past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
Have you walked with a wooden stick before? I bought one in SJPP and it actually hurt. Grasping it all day hurt. I gave it away in Pamplona and bought two trek sticks. They were excellent. I would have had a much harder walk without them.

CaminoJohn

Past OR future Camino
Have you walked with a wooden stick before? I bought one in SJPP and it actually hurt. Grasping it all day hurt. I gave it away in Pamplona and bought two trek sticks. They were excellent. I would have had a much harder walk without them.
I have never bought a hiking stick. I find one in the woods that fit my hand and height and then work it into shape. I also wear biking gloves ( fingerless). This prevents blisters and protects the hands if I fall...most people put their hands out in a fall. Old fashion, but I feel a bit like Gandalf as I stride through the forests!;)

CaminoJohn

Past OR future Camino
Me as Gandalf. ;)

Attachments

• 1390954197648.jpg
    1390954197648.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 25

Chacharm

Past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
I have never bought a hiking stick. I find one in the woods that fit my hand and height and then work it into shape. I also wear biking gloves ( fingerless). This prevents blisters and protects the hands if I fall...most people put their hands out in a fall. Old fashion, but I feel a bit like Gandalf as I stride through the forests!;)
Ohhh - well that makes perfect sense! It was what I had in mind when I bought my stick. I guess I hadn't thought it out very well. I am OC enough that having just one stick made me crazy - and I don't have Gandalf sized hands. ;)
We bought my son a stick somewhere along the way - I don't remember where - who had burned the names of every town into a stick he sold us. He burned my son's name into it when we got it.

Olivares

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Don't buy one without checking the albergues in Leon for those left behind. I picked up a leftover wooden stick in Logroño (after checking with the Hospitalero, of course!). I found the wooden stick was really helpful, specially when going deep downhill. The first days from SJPD-Puente la Reina I found it very helpful. Then, I dropped it off in Burgos and found that did not needed at the Meseta. That said, make sure it fits your height and grasp; a badly matched walking stick can be more of a nuisance than support...

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We bought wooden 'shepherd's crook' type sticks which were overlong and then cut them to the right length to grasp on the level with our elbows bent and lower arm at right angles to our bodies and when wearing our boots. Took 6" off to start and then about 1/8" at a time until each was right individually with an ordinary walking stick rubber on the end. These are easily bought in Spain (and elsewhere).
Although our sticks were bought in the UK I am sure that there would be something similar in local, not hiking, shops in Spain.

Attachments

• sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12
  • stick length.jpg
    stick length.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 13

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf