• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wooden Walking Stick

Beth-o

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
In order to avoid spending a lot of time searching, where might I find wooden walking sticks in Leon?
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
on the Calle de la Rua..it is the camino through a medieval part of the city! Have fun!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In order to avoid spending a lot of time searching, where might I find wooden walking sticks in Leon?
Thanks!
On walking sticks I have done 5 Camino's and have never bought a walking stick. Although I do us one I always give myself a day and search for a suitable from nature and it has worked.

Thanks!

Welcome to the camino forum.

You can buy wooden walking sticks or poles anywhere along the path of the camino.

Buen camino and god bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What about in SJPP? I have walked about 600ks training with my wooden staff and want to walk the camino with one.

You can find walking sticks in nearly every village along the Camino, as Falcon says.
They range in price from 3 euros up and average around 8 euros.
You can get them all lengths and they are virtually indestructible.
I know because I had a meltdown once on the Meseta and tried to break mine over a boulder.
I ended up bruising my hand instead and tossing the danged thing into the desert, where it probably still resides.
:rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can find walking sticks in nearly every village along the Camino, as Falcon says.
They range in price from 3 euros up and average around 8 euros.
You can get them all lengths and they are virtually indestructible.
I know because I had a meltdown once on the Meseta and tried to break mine over a boulder.
I ended up bruising my hand instead and tossing the danged thing into the desert, where it probably still resides.
:rolleyes:
Thanks so much. I'll try to contain myself!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
:rolleyes:[/quote]

A melt down on the Camino????
Was it witnessed?

I left Ventosa one morning as the sun was coming up, by myself and realized my back was wet....the day before my stuff in my pack was wet...I pulled out my Camel Back (water bladder) and with tons of effort realized it was leaking....my meltdown was there infront of a vineyard gate as I kicked it down the trail ranting and raving and cursing at it.
hubby called REI (he was State side) which refunded my money in the States that very day without even having to prove it :)

Then I gathered myself together and carried on....
...that felt real good....

No problems, in Leon, on Calle de Rua, you can find a stick in 5 mins..

Have you walked with a wooden stick before? I bought one in SJPP and it actually hurt. Grasping it all day hurt. I gave it away in Pamplona and bought two trek sticks. They were excellent. I would have had a much harder walk without them.

Have you walked with a wooden stick before? I bought one in SJPP and it actually hurt. Grasping it all day hurt. I gave it away in Pamplona and bought two trek sticks. They were excellent. I would have had a much harder walk without them.
I have never bought a hiking stick. I find one in the woods that fit my hand and height and then work it into shape. I also wear biking gloves ( fingerless). This prevents blisters and protects the hands if I fall...most people put their hands out in a fall. Old fashion, but I feel a bit like Gandalf as I stride through the forests!;)

Me as Gandalf. ;)

Attachments

• 1390954197648.jpg
    1390954197648.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 27
I have never bought a hiking stick. I find one in the woods that fit my hand and height and then work it into shape. I also wear biking gloves ( fingerless). This prevents blisters and protects the hands if I fall...most people put their hands out in a fall. Old fashion, but I feel a bit like Gandalf as I stride through the forests!;)
Ohhh - well that makes perfect sense! It was what I had in mind when I bought my stick. I guess I hadn't thought it out very well. I am OC enough that having just one stick made me crazy - and I don't have Gandalf sized hands. ;)
We bought my son a stick somewhere along the way - I don't remember where - who had burned the names of every town into a stick he sold us. He burned my son's name into it when we got it.

Don't buy one without checking the albergues in Leon for those left behind. I picked up a leftover wooden stick in Logroño (after checking with the Hospitalero, of course!). I found the wooden stick was really helpful, specially when going deep downhill. The first days from SJPD-Puente la Reina I found it very helpful. Then, I dropped it off in Burgos and found that did not needed at the Meseta. That said, make sure it fits your height and grasp; a badly matched walking stick can be more of a nuisance than support...

We bought wooden 'shepherd's crook' type sticks which were overlong and then cut them to the right length to grasp on the level with our elbows bent and lower arm at right angles to our bodies and when wearing our boots. Took 6" off to start and then about 1/8" at a time until each was right individually with an ordinary walking stick rubber on the end. These are easily bought in Spain (and elsewhere).
Although our sticks were bought in the UK I am sure that there would be something similar in local, not hiking, shops in Spain.

Attachments

• sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 14
  • stick length.jpg
    stick length.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 15
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back