• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wool socks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband has developed a bad reaction to merino wool socks even using liner. Any suggestions on ‘what next to use instead of merino wool’. Leaving in 2 weeks to walk Camino Frances.
Thank you.
I've worn Wrightsocks double layer socks on all my Caminos. They are made of synthetic materials.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are some manufacturers, like Darn Tough, Thorlo, Wigwam, and Fox River, who use Coolmax and other synthetic fabric blends to construct hiking and running socks. To help simulate the anti-friction properties of Merino, look for a slightly thicker padded sock.

Personally, I would focus on socks with a polypropylene, nylon and spandex blend. Great wicking of moisture, and the small amount of spandex helps keep the sock's shape so that it is less likely to sag and ruck which causes blistering.

We both have worn Wightsocks double layer socks too- never had blisters.
Buon Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are some manufacturers, like Darn Tough, Thorlo, Wigwam, and Fox River, who use Coolmax and other synthetic fabric blends to construct hiking and running socks. To help simulate the anti-friction properties of Merino, look for a slightly thicker padded sock.

Personally, I would focus on socks with a polypropylene, nylon and spandex blend. Great wicking of moisture, and the small amount of spandex helps keep the sock's shape so that it is less likely to sag and ruck which causes blistering.
When we started our training walks for our first Camino, my wife and I both wore merino wool socks. However, she started noticing a rash around her ankles and switched to Wigwam Coolmax socks. She never experienced the rash again after that, either before, during, or after the Camino.

When we started our training walks for our first Camino, my wife and I both wore merino wool socks. However, she started noticing a rash around her ankles and switched to Wigwam Coolmax socks. She never experienced the rash again after that, either before, during, or after the Camino.
Thank you this is all good info for us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Except that cotton socks can be problematic since they hold in the moisture.

I've used cotton socks every time I've walked the Camino, on hot days.
:🤷:
I think it could be one of those things that is different for everyone.
I use merino wool socks much of the time, but when it's hot, I change to cotton, and it seems these folks will be walking in May, and merino breaks him out. If a person can afford to buy special equipment, cool. But if they can't, there's no reason you can't wear what you'd wear at home, imo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks some great choices here. I’ll go looking.
Another question. Just finished a whole month of longer training getting ready for Camino. About 6 weeks ago my Keene hiking shoes which has been great up to now suddenly have been pinching in toes and my feet burn beyond. Today after 15 miles I thought I wouldn’t get home as my feet were so painfully burning. New shoes at this late hour or just revert to my faithful new balance running shoes. I have wide foot. Sorry to rattle on.

Another question. Just finished a whole month of longer training getting ready for Camino. About 6 weeks ago my Keene hiking shoes which has been great up to now suddenly have been pinching in toes and my feet burn beyond. Today after 15 miles I thought I wouldn’t get home as my feet were so painfully burning. New shoes at this late hour or just revert to my faithful new balance running shoes. I have wide foot. Sorry to rattle on.

Cariad, I will be happy to try and assist you if you send my a PM (private message). If you would like to do so, just click on my avatar or name, and you will see a menu which includes an item "Start a conversation".

Bring a pair of hiking sandals for your evening after walking shoes. That way you'll have an alternative to give your feet a break.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband has developed a bad reaction to merino wool socks even using liner. Any suggestions on ‘what next to use instead of merino wool’. Leaving in 2 weeks to walk Camino Frances.
Thank you.
I can’t wear wool at all. At REI, I found
Darn Tough CoolMax hiking socks. They were perfect for me and were most comfortable on the Camino

I used Wigwam Coolmax socks on the CF in Sept/Oct. Absolutely no problems with them. However they had worn out in the heel area close to the end. Just keep in mind, you might need an extra pair in case of wear and tear. Cheers CL

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Wigwam Coolmax socks on the CF in Sept/Oct. Absolutely no problems with them. However they had worn out in the heel area close to the end. Just keep in mind, you might need an extra pair in case of wear and tear. Cheers CL
Thank you for your input. I’ve used them in training and did like them may have to get another pair.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.