• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Words of Wisdom

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Reading something completely non-Camino related I came across this:

"Remember the past, live in the present and do not fear the future."

We always take our past with us on the Camino.
We can only can live in the present.
We can only can change the future.

Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. How old must you be before you know that? There is only now, and if now is only two days, then two days is your life and everything in it will be in proportion. This is how you live a life in two days. And if you stop complaining and asking for what you never will get, you will have a good life. A good life is not measured by any biblical span."

Ernest Hemingway,
For Whom the Bell Tolls, 1940

Beautiful @mspath - even if I like to look/ consider the eternal/biblical span ...
Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Forgot to add For whom the bell tolls is one of my favorite novels/movies (rare case that those tow are combined!) ever. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, boy, @Kanga, that's a keeper. Oh to have Piglet's attitude each moment, no matter what! :)

As for your find, @SYates...and our happiness depends completely on how we relate to everything-- the present, memories of the past, and ideas of the future.

Here are some words along those lines that resonate a lot particularly when I'm having a rough day and start complaining to myself about the weather, the food, my feet, myself and fellow pilgrims:
"Alert to the needs of the journey,
those on the path of awareness
glide on like swans
leaving behind their former resting places.
"
The Buddha, Dhammapada 91

Can I move on from habits of judgement and complaint that have all too long been uncomfortable resting places?
Sometimes. Morning rustlers and torch torturers can pretty easily push me over the edge back into this stuff.
Oh, well...Surrender time ;)

Being present is indeed the most profound place to be as it is the only real realm of existence. Mastering being present requires a lot of trust, faith and surender, where in it lies all that is "known and unknown (combination)". Everything we know is retrospective (of a past) and everything we don't know (future) is imagination.

The easiest way to relate (I found) is to look at the clock. It is the silent space in BETWEEN that 1 second click. In that tini whini space, lies the infinite conscious and unconscious space where all things are "happenings" which is - the present.

As I experience writing this, that very reality you experience at your end - is the very present space we commonly share. Now you see it, now you don't...like a piece of yummy dark chocolate on the table. Hahaha...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hahaha, @GRR, thanks for the giggle. And I can think of a few other possible toxic thought bubbles...we're definitely a complicated lot.
And Alan Watts.....

As in the Buddhist teachings...

As @movinmaggie says, "Be here now" is one of the oldest prescriptions for happiness around.
It's one of the reasons the Camino is such good medicine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just this !! Suchness. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.