• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

work or voluntary work

22Andym22

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino in April/May 2015
I will be walking Camino Frances for the first time in May and I was wondering if anyone knows of any places which would or have in the past given work paid or unpaid to anyone along the route. My plan would be to walk the whole Camino first then head back if I find anywhere willing to other such opportunities. I will of course ask on the way but if anyone has any information I'd be grateful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unemployment for people age 30 and under in Spain is almost 50%. Spain is not a great place to be unemployed in, especially if you do not speak fluent Spanish.
Good luck to you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or.....you stay positive, try and just see what happens.

You never know, do you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It doesn't hurt to ask. There's no harm in trying ect ect ect.....

Good luck!!

When I stopped at the teepee place near Fromista, there was pilgrim from Idaho who was helping the owner with housekeeping in exchange for meals and a bed.

Unemployment for people age 30 and under in Spain is almost 50%. Spain is not a great place to be unemployed in, especially if you do not speak fluent Spanish.
Good luck to you!
Hello Rebekah, maybe you can help me further. I walked the camino frances last year and I met so many wonderful hospitaleros and hospitaleras. Now I would like to sign up myself. I read that you have to course before becoming a volunteer. I saw that there are some places free in may 2015 in Crescedilla (Madrid). Are these trainings through Englisch or Spanish? I do speak basic Spanish but my English is much better. I don't know if I can volunteer this year, otherwise it would be next year, but is it still possible to do the course this year? And where do I find albergues which need at what dates volunteers? I would be very thankful if you could help me. Cheers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello Rebekah, maybe you can help me further. I walked the camino frances last year and I met so many wonderful hospitaleros and hospitaleras. Now I would like to sign up myself. I read that you have to course before becoming a volunteer. I saw that there are some places free in may 2015 in Crescedilla (Madrid). Are these trainings through Englisch or Spanish? I do speak basic Spanish but my English is much better. I don't know if I can volunteer this year, otherwise it would be next year, but is it still possible to do the course this year? And where do I find albergues which need at what dates volunteers? I would be very thankful if you could help me. Cheers!

What country do you live in?

I am not Rebekah, but the link I posted above http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/hospitaleros.asp is most likely what you are looking for and yes, the courses in Spain are given in Spanish. Speaking Spanish is very highly recommended when working as a hospitaler@, what if a pilgrim falls down the albergue steps and you need to call an ambulance? Plus, perhaps more frequently, you will need to communicate with those locally responsible for the albergue - who mostly speak only Spanish. You can do the cursillo and come back the next year to be a hospitaler@ plus the people that organize the cursillo will also organize your stay as a hospitaler@. Hope that helps, SY

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll see what happens when I'm there either way I'm going to enjoy walking!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you wouldn't mind to work as a volunteer (in return of meals and a place to sleep) try one of these:

www.helpx.net
www.wwoof.org

I have similar plans, I would like to stay in Spain for a while after finishing my camino and I will use the platforms mentioned above to find a place to stay and something to do.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you wouldn't mind to work as a volunteer (in return of meals and a place to sleep) try one of these:

www.helpx.net
www.wwoof.org

I have similar plans, I would like to stay in Spain for a while after finishing my camino and I will use the platforms mentioned above to find a place to stay and something to do.

We're in the process of restoring an old Abbey on the Camino Frances and may be looking for people to help in return for a bed and meals. Our project is in it's infant stages - you can check it out on this link:
www.facebook.com/theabbey.es
And get in contact with us.

www.helpx.net
www.wwoof.org

We're in the process of restoring an old Abbey on the Camino Frances and may be looking for people to help in return for a bed and meals. Our project is in it's infant stages - you can check it out on this link:
www.facebook.com/theabbey.es
And get in contact with us.
Redpilgrim, I'm looking to spend time once my Camino is finished in mid-June volunteering in some fashion, preferably along the Camino. Any ideas as to what projects you may have underway at that time?

Redpilgrim, I'm looking to spend time once my Camino is finished in mid-June volunteering in some fashion, preferably along the Camino. Any ideas as to what projects you may have underway at that time?

Hi David, Can you please private message us on our FB page. We look forward to hearing from you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back