• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Working remotely while on the Camino.

I may need to find a computer and log in and work remotely on Tuesdays and Thursday while walking the Camino France's. Is this realistic? Will I have remote internet access? Will there be places with computers available? Is this something that will interfere with my pilgrim experience?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
First of all, the answer to the last question is: it's your Camino you will have to be the judge of whether it interferes with your experience or not. I would only suggest that something that ties you to some totally arbitrary schedule might become overwhelming. You can find computers in public libraries (subject to open hours) but the chances that your plans have you stopping in the towns with libraries every Tuesday and Thursday is a matter of some serious logistics. Several of the provinces seem to be wired for the future and you can find wifi access and computers in some hotels, hostels and bars but you find yourself paying anything from 1 euro for 30 minutes to and hour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend, if you can afford it, getting yourself a tablet - depending on what you are doing there are some low cost Android ones out there - then you can use wifi anywhere, or even get yourself a SIM card with data so you are not restricted. One other thing to remember is you are supposed to only stay one night in the public places.

Hope this helps you - enjoy, what will be will be.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have my own business in California... Self employed, no employees. I'm still trying to work out the details for one client who depends upon me for about 10-12 hours a week. Looking for someone who can fill in for me but so far it has been difficult to find that person. Leaving for Madrid, May 14, 2015. Starting at SJPDP on May 18th.

I may need to find a computer and log in and work remotely on Tuesdays and Thursday while walking the Camino France's. Is this realistic? Will I have remote internet access? Will there be places with computers available? Is this something that will interfere with my pilgrim experience?

A smartphone or tablet and the plentiful WiFi connections all along the Camino will certainly allow you «to stay in touch». The computers I found in the albergues however are generally old, unreliable, slow and their safety doubtful. (Your working will moreover be slowed-down by foreign, unfamiliar keyboards, shortcuts, system-language and outdated OS versions)

The answer to your last question? YES, of course!
Asking in the first place shows that you are aware and that you will keep the interference to the minimum.
Buen Camino.

How about Skype on my iPad? Is that doable?
Hi, Rebecca and welcome to the forum

I walked with an iphone two years ago so I could Skype with my very elderly parents and was surprised to find I could find free wifi nearly every day. And I was on the Camino Levante, where I met only three other pilgrims. The wifi phenomenon in Spain has nothing to do with pilgrims, it is in almost every bar/cafe/etc in almost every town. You may find a town where the owners are holding out, like Pola de Gordon on the Salvador, but in my experience you can always find someone who offers it. And I am talking about towns with a population of as few as 30!

People are right that sometimes the signal can be weak, but I frequently found that bar owners were happy to usher me off into a quiet room with stronger reception. But then maybe that was special treatment for someone who says she has to call her 90 year old mama!

Last year on the Camino Olvidado I found the same thing, so I don't think you will have a problem. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have my own business in California... Self employed, no employees. I'm still trying to work out the details for one client who depends upon me for about 10-12 hours a week. Looking for someone who can fill in for me but so far it has been difficult to find that person. Leaving for Madrid, May 14, 2015. Starting at SJPDP on May 18th.

I know what its like being tied to a business!

I've sent you a PM with a potential solution.

I have used Face Time on my iPod Touch to stay in contact on two Caminos. My wife manages her end of the conversation on either an iPhone or iPad. I imagine Skype would work as well. You will occasionally find a place to stay without Wi-Fi, or with inadequate bandwidth to support video calls.

Still, if using most any tablet style device, you can "send" your e-mail and attachments. They will be stored in your "out box" until the next time you can get an internet connection.

You can use this to your advantage. As you walk during the day, you might stop briefly for coffee at a cafe with Wi-Fi. If your work is "in the can" ready to go, all you need to do is connect, while drinking your coffee and the work you did last night goes. it is actually easier than it sounds.

As a precaution, I always send myself a bcc of everything I send, just in case.

I hope this helps...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A smartphone or tablet and the plentiful WiFi connections all along the Camino will certainly allow you «to stay in touch». The computers I found in the albergues however are generally old, unreliable, slow and their safety doubtful. (Your working will moreover be slowed-down by foreign, unfamiliar keyboards, shortcuts, system-language and outdated OS versions)
Very good advice: Bring your own gear and go wifi. NEVER use albergue/municipal PCs for confidential business: You'll never know what's on them...

I hope you can combine your Camino and at the same time take care of your business.

Personally, as a retired software engineer, I must say: The guy who invented work, could not possibly have had much to do! It's great to be able to go (and stay) when/as long as I want. ;)

Buen Camino!

I took a Samsung tablet and bluetooth keyboard for the same reason. Wifi is widely available in Spain and speed is normally good. As for if it interferes with Your Camino - only you can answer that ... Buen Camino! SY

I have my own business in California... Self employed, no employees.
I hear you. I am the tech support for nearly 200 clients. I hope to have someone in place, but it will not be enough most likely.

I am trying to use smart phone, and also trying tab to see how they work. Test ALL gear is my motto.

I had to add one more note.

This week, I had one client whose Microsoft client went down (not my fault, someone changed passwords in their office), Website went down (not my fault, domain name expired in their account), Store hour change, phone number change and more.

The typical stuff like paying rent and bills or deposits and stuff can be handled or delayed, but some items need handling right away, even if they are not my fault.

As my business grows, I continue to put solutions in place for when things happen, but often it still takes a response or email to get it handled. Hopefully, it will be as simple as forwarding an email to someone that can handle the current situation.

The wifi email connect is what actually makes my Camino possible. It may just take a day or two for a response.

I took my iPad with me on the CF. My purpose was to be able to blog while I was walking.
It actually worked well.
I didn't find wifi in every town I spent the night in. Public libraries, as previously noted, are available if you are there during the hours they are open and the librarians seem comfortable with letting random pilgrims connect.
How much do you need to do online? Write reports? Have short conversations? I connected a few times through Skype while on the CF and it was nice to be able to share with my family thousands of miles away. But that did not happen often.
You must be concerned about the weight of whatever you carry, plus the chargers/adapters. Also, you must face the fact that things can "turn up missing." Are you prepared for those scenarios?
Will it interfere with your pilgrimage? It's up to you. Will you allow the Camino to work its magic on you or will you block it out so you can continue to get your work done. Don't be surprised if the Camino has other plans for you than what you expect.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not everybody has the luxury of just dropping everything to go on a 5 week stroll.

Life waits for no one, not even a pilgrim.

Do what you have to do, Rebecca. Bring your ipad. There will be plenty of free wifi spots around to skype. Do your thing and then just walk on again :)

I am sure you will walk with better ease of mind and thus have a much better experience, knowing everything at home is ok!

Not everybody has the luxury of just dropping everything to go on a 5 week stroll.

Life waits for no one, not even a pilgrim.

Do what you have to do, Rebecca. Bring your ipad. There will be plenty of free wifi spots around to skype. Do your thing and then just walk on again :)

I am sure you will walk with better ease of mind and thus have a much better experience, knowing everything at home is ok!
Dutch, I love your posts because you have always been so humorous and counter cultural, when did you join the mainstream?

Just to look at this from another angle: If your self-employment is your only source of income, and you have only one client, then looking after your financial situation might take priority this year. The Camino will always be there, waiting for you. You could set up a month of hiking with retreat house stays or camping, and achieve a near-Camino experience, while still maintaining this essential client relationship. It won't be exactly the same, of course ... but it might work for you.

Just to look at this from another angle: If your self-employment is your only source of income, and you have only one client, then looking after your financial situation might take priority this year. The Camino will always be there, waiting for you. You could set up a month of hiking with retreat house stays or camping, and achieve a near-Camino experience, while still maintaining this essential client relationship. It won't be exactly the same, of course ... but it might work for you.
Absolutely true, the Camino is always going to be there and it is not the "end all" of trekking around the world.

Dutch, I love your posts because you have always been so humorous and counter cultural, when did you join the mainstream?
Mainstream? OMG! What has become of me :D

It is understanding, not mainstream. Or.....is understanding, mainstream? :)
I get what the OP is saying. I also have to check and answer emails when i am on the camino. I does not take one ounce of pleasure away from the whole experience for me. It is either that, or not go. I know what i choose then :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, in other words, I should wait 15 years until I am 65? That is some of the poorest advice I have ever read on this forum. (edited: not the poorest, but not right for me. Goes to show what happens when you knee jerk reaction post. Keep the advice coming, even if I do not like it. If it makes you feel better, there are times I actually do not agree with my significant other either)

The Camino may still be there, but where is the guarantee that we will be also.

I think it is better to go now and hopefully again someday perhaps with more days and leas ties .

I know of to many people that never did what they wanted to because they waited and the could not.

Last edited:
If I waited till I no longer needed to bring a phone to keep in touch with family, I'd have to wait till my 90+ yo parents died, my husband's heart took a miraculous turn for the better, and my kids stopped having babies. I'm not willing to do that, since by then I would probably be in the feeble and infirm category myself. Sure it'd be great not to have to work, but if it's a choice between the occasional interference or no camino at all, I'll take the interference. I've had to stop for a day to have a Skype meeting, or to revise a document, and it's a pain because I lose my rhythm or because my pals get ahead of me or whatever. But it's a price I'm willing to pay. For most of us, it's a question of figuring out the best we can do, not waiting till all stars align perfectly. Buen camino, Laurie

WldWil, I can't speak for those who advise waiting until the time is better for your Camino. But I think you may be a little hard on those who offer that advice.

Sometimes, there are legitimate reasons for postponing one's Camino. An injury, a sudden, unforeseen move, a child taken seriously ill. The question is not whether these complications are reasons to postpone, the question is whether these complications are reason enough TO YOU to make you postpone your Camino. Everyone has a tipping point at which they say "OK, it is not to be now, maybe next year" and what is legit for me may not be for you.

I learned of the Camino, felt compelled, and did it. But I commiserate with those who report that, due to circumstances beyond their control, they can't carry out their plans as planned. The time wasn't right.

The Camino has a way of messing with our best laid plans, anyway.

And, for the record, there is MUCH worse advice to be found on this forum. For proof, read some of my comments on other threads! :rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

On my first Camino, I took an ipad because of the need to stay in touch for emergencies and problems arising in my business.
On my 2nd camino, I took a MacBookAir laptop for same reasons.
I also had a roaming bundle for the phone because of phone calls, and had 2 conference calls during the trip.
So yes, do-able, and wifi is generally fairly available, and fairly good-quality.

Will it "interfere" with your pilgrim experience? As others have said, it's just your experience. No concept of interfering. It will shape a few parts of it, but if you are "well connected" with yourself and the physical/mental journey you are on, then "external interferences" are just something you cope with.

Personally I got no "voluntary" work (e.g. writing book) done until I arrived in SdC. There's not much time and very little spare energy. At least in my case. But responding to and handling crises, and a few scheduled commitments, is no problem. Just remember where you are afterwards ;-)

WldWil, I can't speak for those who advise waiting until the time is better for your Camino. But I think you may be a little hard on those who offer that advice.

Sometimes, there are legitimate reasons for postponing one's Camino. An injury, a sudden, unforeseen move, a child taken seriously ill. The question is not whether these complications are reasons to postpone, the question is whether these complications are reason enough TO YOU to make you postpone your Camino. Everyone has a tipping point at which they say "OK, it is not to be now, maybe next year" and what is legit for me may not be for you.

And, for the record, there is MUCH worse advice to be found on this forum. For proof, read some of my comments on other threads! :rolleyes:

Buen Camino!
I actually thought of editing it as well. (Well, I added an edit, but left the original comment) I was just a bit shocked. Yes, there are a lot of varied opinions here as well and was wondering if etiquette dictate toning or not.

There is a huge difference of postponing a Camino due to injury, a sudden, unforeseen move, a child taken seriously ill and because it is not convenient due to job.

I am walking this Camino solo, because of illness back in the family and the choices are now or in 15 years, with a likelihood of not ever. If checking in on emails and stopping issues before they become a crisis allows me to go, it is a small price versus scrapping the trip.

Unless you are retired, unemployed, financially established or have a job like a school teacher or place that can have someone fill in for you, what are your other options? A good post may be how do you have the time to do this? I think I will start one.

Last edited:
I think you are going to have a good Camino experience.

You answered your own question on how to find the time to do the Camino. In my experience, lack of time is the number one reason for people postponing their journey. It seems that those who do not have big chunks of time to devote to walking do it in small pieces, a week or two at a time. There are tons of forum threads about how to do the Camino in sections.

There are few other options, I'm afraid. Either you have the time or you don't.

It sounds like your window of opportunity is now and you plan to take advantage of it. If you are compelled to do it now, nothing will be able to stop you, even if you try to resist. That's the way the Camino seems to work. Bring your phone and whatever other electronics you feel you need (and can carry) and be be confident and comfortable in your decision.

Perhaps people who want to force "isolation from the outside world" are just as prejudiced (not the right word, but best I can think of) as those who insist on checking in with their electronic connections every day. The majority here feel that one's Camino is one's Camino. Don't let others dictate what your experience will be. Just be open to the experience and put the Camino first.

I'm curious. How do you know you won't have 5 weeks of free time in the next 15 years? It sounds like you have extraordinary circumstances (pardon me if it's none of by business).

I desired to walk but knew it would be well beyond my time and financial abilities to swing it. And, well, let me just say that I won't have to wait 15 years to hit 65. Then, a Higher Power made it possible for me to get to Spain, beyond all reason or logic, and now I look forward to Camino #2 in a few months. I'll most likely take the same electronics I took the first time (In fact, my original pack list was pretty spot on for my needs).

I'm just saying, you never know.

Buen Camino!

PS - Just saw your edit. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Things could change. It would not be the time that life got flipped upside down. I do have people encouraging me to hire employees and become a general manager, so who knows. that would be one more big life change.

I see your point. I am also self-employed, with a part-time person, but I still would need to be in touch with clients. I'm 51 and want to walk the camino Now not in 15 years. I need to E-mail for 15-30 minutes/day and then talk to clients for 15-30 minutes/day. I would need my laptop ( I recently bought a very small lenovo thinkpad). I could use wifi for emails but would need my own secure network for looking at client data on-line. This secure internet part I need help figuring out, here in the states I have a verizon jetpack that I use when I need to log on my work site while I'm in a public place. Can I buy/rent something similar in Spain? thanks,

Check Avast Secure Online app. I I'm thinking I'll make it by with he smartphone or pad

On my first Camino y worked Tuesdays and Thursday's, and I used my mini iPad. Never had an issue with connectivity. Also, I like yo have no mini iPad since I can move mi pics to the cloud.

Buen Camino,

Texasguy

There were only a handful of albergues I stayed in that didn't have wifi. I did see some public computers in albergues, but like others have said, they were older and who knows what kind of safety they have.

Unless something has changed this year, none of the municipal albergues in Galicia provide wifi, but many of the private ones do.

The cellphone I bought in Spain only had 3G speeds, but the coverage was great. Most of the towns had 3G coverage. I would assume many of them were 4G as well.

What sort of work do you need to do? Is Skype the only bandwidth heavy application you use? Do you have to use any kind of remote desktop programs or anything like that? Is Skype necessary? Could you get by with just a phone call?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I see your point. I am also self-employed, with a part-time person, but I still would need to be in touch with clients. I'm 51 and want to walk the camino Now not in 15 years. I need to E-mail for 15-30 minutes/day and then talk to clients for 15-30 minutes/day. I would need my laptop ( I recently bought a very small lenovo thinkpad). I could use wifi for emails but would need my own secure network for looking at client data on-line. This secure internet part I need help figuring out, here in the states I have a verizon jetpack that I use when I need to log on my work site while I'm in a public place. Can I buy/rent something similar in Spain? thanks,

Educate yourself on the possibility of using what you already own. If you own a Verizon jetpack, it's probably useless in Spain due to the network is uses, it would also be very expensive to operate if it could.
I would assume you have Verizon for you mobile phone service in the US, if you do, all of Verizon LTE phones are unlocked for use with foreign SIM cards.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html
Buy a local Spanish SIM card with data and install it in your smartphone and use it as a wifi hotspot, the cost of data and voice is cheaper than an international plan through Verizon and you can securely log on to your worksite at your leisure and not have to rely on wifi.
http://www.lebara.es/passes/internet

There were only a handful of albergues I stayed in that didn't have wifi. I did see some public computers in albergues, but like others have said, they were older and who knows what kind of safety they have.

Unless something has changed this year, none of the municipal albergues in Galicia provide wifi, but many of the private ones do.

The cellphone I bought in Spain only had 3G speeds, but the coverage was great. Most of the towns had 3G coverage. I would assume many of them were 4G as well.

What sort of work do you need to do? Is Skype the only bandwidth heavy application you use? Do you have to use any kind of remote desktop programs or anything like that? Is Skype necessary? Could you get by with just a phone call?

Jeff,
I'm a financial advisor -long term investing - so no frequent stock trading. All the software I use is in the cloud. I could get by with just a phone, but would need access to my email via laptop or ipad. Thanks for the comment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Educate yourself on the possibility of using what you already own. If you own a Verizon jetpack, it's probably useless in Spain due to the network is uses, it would also be very expensive to operate if it could.
I would assume you have Verizon for you mobile phone service in the US, if you do, all of Verizon LTE phones are unlocked for use with foreign SIM cards.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html
Buy a local Spanish SIM card with data and install it in your smartphone and use it as a wifi hotspot, the cost of data and voice is cheaper than an international plan through Verizon and you can securely log on to your worksite at your leisure and not have to rely on wifi.
http://www.lebara.es/passes/internet

thanks for the links, I will review them

I am in a similar boat. I left full time work last year to work part time from remote and travel. I work about 20 hours every week and will have to do the same on the Camino. Usually I work a few hours at night before bed or take a full rest day to work and just pay for a hotel / backpacker dorm bunk with wifi for that day. Purists will say "don't work on pilgrimage" but they are tied to working the other 11 months of the year while our situation as remote workers doing part time work on the road means we can make the Camino and have balance exploring the world and ourselves 12 months a year.

I am in Detroit for 5 days this week. Everything was able to be handled by android phone. Pad would be nice, but have a few more trips to get use to it. I am putting off some things to next week trying to just enjoy this one. Hopefully, the same on the Camino..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jeff,
I'm a financial advisor -long term investing - so no frequent stock trading. All the software I use is in the cloud. I could get by with just a phone, but would need access to my email via laptop or ipad. Thanks for the comment.

Are you bringing a phone with you? You can get prepaid data plans for fairly cheap. (Mine was 10 euros for a 1 gig that was good for 30 days.) You could then tether your phone to your ipad and connect to the internet at places where you don't have wifi.

Are you bringing a phone with you? You can get prepaid data plans for fairly cheap. (Mine was 10 euros for a 1 gig that was good for 30 days.) You could then tether your phone to your ipad and connect to the internet at places where you don't have wifi.
Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I might do the same.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back