• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

World Heritage status for Camino del Norte?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Cantabria and Asturias will ask UNESCO to include the Jacobean Camino de la Costa and the Lebaniego within the statement as a World Heritage Site which is already the Camino de Santiago, and to this end, both communities are already working on the record to suggest this new joint initiative.
This has been announced today the presidents of Cantabria, Miguel Angel Revilla, and Asturias, Vicente Alvarez Areces, on the occasion of the third meeting of institutional both regions, which took place in the Parque de la Nature of Cabárceno and in which the two governments have adopted a joint statement that contains the proposed declaration of World Heritage Site.
As indicated in the statement, the file of the proposal is likely to be evaluated in 2010, coinciding with the celebration of Holy Year Jacobean.

It is hoped that the new statement will be achieved for the Camino de Santiago de Norte. "We will achieve this, what you will see, because if we work with the same intelligence and with the same vocation will be an element of a special attraction," he asserted.
The joint declaration signed by Cantabria and Asturias also includes a commitment of the two autonomous regions to continue the work of conservation, preservation and commissioning of the value of cultural interest, especially for the caves World Heritage Site, which "will promoted under a common image. "

Full story:

http://www.elcomerciodigital.com/gijon/ ... 01436.html

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.