• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

World Youth Day 2023: Gathering of Catholic Youth in Lisbon

selbanev

Time of past OR future Camino
Montserrat-SdC
VdlP
St Olavsleden
Lisbon-Fatima
I'm just flagging the above event for later this year, August 1-6. World Youth Day is a gathering of Catholic youth from around the world, this year to be held in Lisbon.

Back in 2011 WYD was in Madrid and attracted around a million young people. This year may be the same. It will certainly mean more activity in and around Lisbon, and possibly on the Camino in Portugal, and even Spain.

I write from New Zealand, and I know pilgrim groups from here also walked some days/weeks on the Camino when visiting Madrid WYD. The same with many Australian groups. They travel so far so they look to fit in more than just the few days at WYD.

Something to be aware of when planning or considering the CP for later in 2023.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An update on this...the first week of August may very much be a week to be avoided on the caminho from Lisboa up to Fatima...fair-ish translation through GglTranslate of an article in the Abrantes-area news:

"The Diocese of Santarém has identified, at the moment, an accommodation capacity of about 76,000 pilgrims for the World Youth Day (WYD), which takes place in the first week of August in Lisbon.

In response to Lusa, the Diocesan Organizing Committee (COD) of Santarém affirmed that it currently has more than 460 families registered to accommodate pilgrims, with a capacity for 2,000 people, and continues to negotiate with the entities that hold collective spaces, for the formalization of your assignment.

“In the last balance [in the beginning of March], we have identified about 350 families of accommodation, while we currently have more than 460, with the capacity to accommodate two thousand pilgrims. Our accommodation spaces, at the capacity of our Diocese, are around 74 thousand pilgrims, or that there are a total of about 76 thousand people in the Diocese of Santarém, more about 11,000 two months ago. [I'm not sure what this 76,000 number refers to--the population of Santarém?]

The diocese of Santarém, which, like those of Setúbal and Lisbon, is responsible for the accommodation of participants in WYD, began in February, together with the owner entities, the process of formalizing the ceding of nearly 600 collective spaces that it identified.

According to COD, the transport of pilgrims who are staying in the territory of the Diocese of Santarém obeys the mobility plan drawn up by the Government and disclosed no later than April 5th.

Food will also be guaranteed by Fundação JMJ, which has open candidacies on its site for restaurants, supermarkets and private institutions of social solidarity that want to join the restoration network, which will be managed by the national organization.

"The meals will all be insured by this restaurant network, with the exception of two small lunches, which can be given by the foster families, if they wish, or that will be provided by the national organization and then distributed by volunteers to the foster care locations," she said. .

As for the initiatives that will take place in the Diocese during WYD week, such as the 'Rise Up' catechists, Santarém is formalizing the churches and audiences “that have the conditions to accommodate the catechists by language, so that after this placement the preparation of the spaces is made by the local organization”.

The Diocese also encourages young people to organize "some reception or farewell activities for the pilgrims who are staying in their parishes, in order to make the region known".

“To furthermore, we are going to take advantage of initiatives that already exist and others that arise such as exhibitions, festivals, etc”, he adds.

In addition to nearly a thousand registered volunteers, the Diocese has more than 500 young people in the parish teams created in 2019.

In March, the COD Santarém suggested to Lusa that they form defined objectives of accommodation for the dioceses that will receive pilgrims, which they opted not to divulge because they will be only indicative and will serve to guide the work of the parishes.

The World Youth Day, considered the biggest event of the Catholic Church, will take place this year in Lisbon, between August 1 and 6, with about 1.5 million people expected.

The main ceremonies of the day take place in Parque Tejo, north of Parque das Nações, near Ribeirinha do Tejo, on land in two municipalities of Lisbon and Loures.

The dates were set on the initiative of Pope João Paulo II, after the event of the meeting promoted in 1985, in Rome, in the International Youth Year."

Sounds like things will be hopping!

Link to original story (in Portuguese): https://jornaldeabrantes.sapo.pt/so...-ate-ao-momento-para-acolher-76000-peregrinos

Bom caminho, but perhaps not between August 1 and 6, 2023 ...or maybe perhaps??? :confused:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back