• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

World Youth Day - Madrid 16-21 August

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A number of South African youth groups who are planning on attending the World Youth Day in Madrid in August will combine the International event with a Camino walk from Sarria to Santiago. So expect a rise in pilgrim numbers before or after those dates.
Youth from Schengen countries will have to apply for Visas but will receive them free of charge.

http://www.madrid11.com/en/news/1-n/451 ... -apoyo-jmj

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having been to WYD in the past (Toronto in 2002), I would be sure to avoid the Camino during this time. There are going to be A LOT of young people doing this part of the walk. I have a friend from Mexico City who is planning to do it with his group. I'm guessing that because it is in Europe again, the numbers are going to be a lot higher than in some of the past locations. We had close to 800,000 in Toronto and it looks like the time it was in Cologne, Germany, they had 1.2 million young people. I also didn't realize it has been in SDC before. So cool! It was one of the most amazing spiritual experiences I had at that point in my life. It will also be good for the economy of Spain, lord knows they need it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Youth_Day

Walking to World Youth Day
This summer a group of 120 youth will lace up their hiking boots on July 23rd to get to Madrid by August 18th. The walk has three purposes, “The first is the personal growth of these young people, secondly to give witness to Christ in our world, and the third is social, we´re also raising money for a concrete project to help build a school in Burkina Faso,” said Fr. Lorda (Ferran Lorda was 15 years old when he attended his first World Youth Day in Compostela, Spain. He will be attending his 9th World Youth Day this August in Madrid. A lot has changed for Lorda since he first attended WYD in Compostela, Spain in 1989. Today he is Fr. Ferran Lorda, a diocesan priest at St. Theresa of the Child Jesus parish in Barcelona, Spain and he works with a thriving youth group that will be walking about 600 kilometers from Barcelona to Madrid to attend WYD day in August. When asked how such an idea comes into being, he is quick to say, “It starts with a joke!” )

In Saragossa the group will be joined by their parents and together the group will spend the day celebrating family.

“We want to acknowledge that World Youth Day touches the entire family. Parents sacrifice a good chunk of time with their children to let them go off to World Youth Day, the younger siblings see their older sibling preparing and then going off to the event. We want to celebrate the family for the sacrifices they make,” said Fr. Lorda.

Parents and children will be reunited again in Barajas, just outside of Madrid and they will make the final leg of the pilgrimage together.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems that with all my pre-planning, I missed World Youth Day when choosing dates for my Camino. I am scheduled to leave SJPDP August 19, stop in Orisson on the 20th and on to Roncesvalles on Aug 21, which coincides with the Pope's visit to Madrid. Do those in the know believe the majority of traffic will be between Madrid and Santiago de Compostela or further east, i.e., Roncesvalles? Any one have an educated guess?

I think most groups are doing the last 100km so you should be fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back