• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about Camino del Norte in summer 2022

manzana

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning: Camino del Norte
Already walked: 2 CF
Hello everyone.

My husband and I are planning to start our Camino del Norte on 21st of July 2022. We have been very excited but after reading this forum I got a bit worried. It seems like there is a big problem with finding a bed to sleep (especially if you want to stay on a budget). We walked Frances last year and the situation with accommodation seemed similar, especially after Leon.

So I am wondering if it is very risky to walk without booking the albergue in advance? And in case you can't book a bed in albergue is it common that every bed is taken?
I would like to hear from pilgrims walking right now what are the experiences with accommodation?
I am also wondering what is your daily budget?

I read most of the forum and it seems like the some pilgrims are experiencing half empty albergues and others a no-free-bed situation and now I am a bit confused. I will really appeciate your help.

Buen camino!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Do keep an eye on https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ilgrims-walking-now-live-from-the-camino.307/

It seems that many Pilgrims are trying to book private shared rooms this year. On the Norte, on a popular holiday coast those rooms are indeed often booked out or available only at a premium. Contrariwise there appears to usually be space in the non-reservable, communal Albergues. This thread, despite its title, contains some positive information: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/accommodation-issues-a-warning.75636/#post-1047182

Hi! I am walking the Norte right now, and just arrived in San Vincente past Comillas. It is a challenge to find beds, especially in Cantabria province. Many albuergues are not operating and so the few that are have more pilgrims coming through than they can host. We are at day 14, and there have been a few places where we have had to bite the bullet and book a hotel where there was no pilgrims hostel or cheap accommodation. Just today we walked to St Vincente because comillas has nowhere to stay because it was full, and then arrived to find the albuergue here full as well. If you can book ahead a few days in advance, that would be wise, or bring a small lightweight tent for when you are in a pinch.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey @manzana - What did you decide to do?

I'm starting the del Norte in less than two weeks and any insight would be helpful 👍
Hi, in the end we decided not to walk the Norte this year. I tried to book beds or rooms for the first week (at least 2 weeks in advance) but it was very hard to find a bed or a room. I tried emailing hostels/albergues and looked on booking.com.
Our budget for sleeping was 50€/day but would be exceeded most of the days.

I think you made the right call. I have booked the first five days and it was sparse pickings.

My lowest cost is 65€ in Markina and highest is 125€ in San Sebastian.

Thank you for replying

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.