• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about overcrowding

gambelore

Hi. I hope ye might be able to help me with a few questions. My girlfriend and I (both Irish in our mid twenties) are flying to Santander on Wednesday, 26th July. The plan is to walk as much on the Camino del norte as possible in two weeks.

We decided to do the Camino del norte in the hope of avoiding the crowds of pilgrimmes on the more popular routes. After reading some of the other questions I now see that we should have been more worried about the spainish tourists rather that the pilgrimmes. Am I overreacting here?

Should I bring a tent? Are there places to pitich it and would we be safe?

We had planned to travel along the costal route. Should we now consider getting a bus inland and walking from there?

Thank you in advance. I will post a reply to let ye know what we decided.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do what you feel

hola gamblore,
Whats the craic man?
The tent?-It's extra unnecessary weight,another thing to worry about,but if you do decide to bring it you should be ok pitching it more or less anywhere(just remember to ask the landowner's permission).Either route, the north or the french will have people on them and they are both equally beautiful-and plus the weather should be ok for sleeping out-I brought a large poncho with me recently(just in case), it rained once for 1hour and I was in a bar having a coffee!It's also handy to have,to use as a ground sheet!

Buen camino

Seán

Thanks SĂ©an

We have returned after walking about 300km along the Camino del Norde. We took the costal route and had a fantastic time.

You were right about the tent. We didn't bring one and we didn't need it. I think that with almost everthing, if you don't have it you will find you don't need it.

Had a fantastic time with very few problems.

The only advice I would give new comers is,

1) Wear walking boots especially if you are new to long distance walking.
my girfriend developed a problem with her right leg because the walking
sandles we had didn't jave enough support.

2) Be prepared to sleep on the ground at some stage. Bring comfortable roll out mats. If you are there at high season you are almost certain to use them at some stage.

Thanks again SĂ©an

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.