• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about physical difficulty level... But eager for adventure!

ErnieHoppy

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi there,

My mother and I are considering doing the Portuguese Way of the Camino. Neither of us have ever done any portion of it. I am a 30 year old, healthy person and I would put myself in the reasonably physically fit category. My mother is 60 years old. She is healthy. She has no chronic medical conditions and no problems with her joints. She does light aerobic activity a couple of times a week, walks regularly, and is an avid gardener in the summer months. However, I am worried that she will find the long days of walking tiresome and challenging beyond what is a sensible level of difficulty. Are there many dangerous parts of this route? I have read that much of this route is flat and on board walks. Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on difficulty level and whether it is achievable for someone like my mom? Just curious. Would like like some advice and a vote of confidence.

Ernie Hoppy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ernie, you are talking more about your mom's limitations than yours. Take a look at the "over 60 thread" for some insight. Sixty and in shape is better than thirty out of shape. At sixty we are aware of our limitations...in many cases we don't have any.
At thirty you may believe your either in the prime or past it.
Plan for a great experience and the Camino will not disappoint.
Ask questions as a team.
Buen Camino
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,

My mother and I are considering doing the Portuguese Way of the Camino. Neither of us have ever done any portion of it. I am a 30 year old, healthy person and I would put myself in the reasonably physically fit category. My mother is 60 years old. She is healthy. She has no chronic medical conditions and no problems with her joints. She does light aerobic activity a couple of times a week, walks regularly, and is an avid gardener in the summer months. However, I am worried that she will find the long days of walking tiresome and challenging beyond what is a sensible level of difficulty. Are there many dangerous parts of this route? I have read that much of this route is flat and on board walks. Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on difficulty level and whether it is achievable for someone like my mom? Just curious. Would like like some advice and a vote of confidence.

Ernie Hoppy
Ernie - congrats on a great adventure ahead of you both.
Sounds like you both a well suited. Just wanted to share a few pointers of my experience, having walked the portuguese in May last year (4 weeks)
I would not second the notion that much of this route is flat and on board walks. that is not a correct reflection of the camino portuguese in my experience and would be misleading.
The only boardwalk I ever encountered was on the day out of Porto/Matasinho onto Vila de Conde. Yes, that was rather flat, as one could expect walking alongside that particular bit of atlantic ocean. - But Diogo posted a few days ago about new boardwalks installed in a section after Lisbon (happened last fall apparently) - he also posted a few photos. search this thread and you will find other good info too...
otherwise to add:
The only steady flat part was the area of the Tejo river area -
It gets hilly and steep in parts, but none would be like crossing the alps or such. I believe the hightest elevation change within one day was out of Ponte de Lima at sea/river level up to 430 meters or thereabouts. So, there was some huffing and puffing about for sure!
There is also much walking on tarmac and cobblestones and old roman pathways - hence, investing in good shoes is highly recommended for sure.
I never pushed myself for long days. Never saw the point of that. For me it was a good mix between 15km - 27 km days. First day though I started off w/ just 11km. - I wanted to end my walking days still with a smile on my face and energy enough to perhaps explore the sights... so i never rushed or had an agenda.
sounds you mum would be in good shape for that.
people have posted numerous photos on the caminho ... below a link to the images i've taken... enjoy...and bom caminho!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/users/amorfati1.22497/

I fully agree with Arn and Claudia (amorfati1)
My wife and I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 2013 as completely newbie's . We were 65 and 63 years old, had a slow pace of max of 20 kms a day and enjoyed every minute of it. There was not a real problem. The only challenge is the day from Ponte the Lima to Rubiaës which is some inclined path as an off road trail.
In the meantime we also walked the camino Inglès which is not that long but more challenging.

With a reasonable physicical condition you can do the Portugues as we Dutch say "with two fingers in the nose !" Which means easy doable.:)
In the meantime we are preparing our third caminho From Porto to Santiago,coastal May next.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
in addition to my post, depending on where you intend to start it is easy to walk 15 to 20 kms a day if you start from Porto.
Aswell Claudia as I posted our schedule earlier in July 2014 .you can see all the places we stayed for the night.
I only do not know how I can copy the information to this recent post. Maybe somebody can give me a hint .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:)
Hi there,

Ernie Hoppy

Ernie,
I am 61 years old and I am planning the Potugues camnino from Lisbon for next May. I Have a full month at my disposal. At this age I am looking forward for this adventure and sure that will be an un forgetable experience. Be encouraged and do regular walks as a preparation and also follow the innumerous advices in this forum. I find these very helpful and the more time passes the more entusiatic I am.

Regards,

Ray:)

Hi there, My mother and I are considering doing the Portuguese Way of the Camino. Neither of us have ever done any portion of it. I am a 30 year old, healthy person and I would put myself in the reasonably physically fit category. My mother is 60 years old. She is healthy. She has no chronic medical conditions and no problems with her joints. She does light aerobic activity a couple of times a week, walks regularly, and is an avid gardener in the summer months. However, I am worried that she will find the long days of walking tiresome and challenging beyond what is a sensible level of difficulty. Are there many dangerous parts of this route? I have read that much of this route is flat and on board walks. Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on difficulty level and whether it is achievable for someone like my mom? Just curious. Would like like some advice and a vote of confidence.Ernie Hoppy

You can check for the complete altimetry for the Spanish section in here: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/altimetria-caminho-portugues/

I think that, the worst for the Portuguese are the distances. Those yes, are killer. A lot of people say that it's mostly flat, BUT consider that even during a flat day, you can still accumulate like 800m of ascent and descent.

The post that Claudia was talking about it's this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-vila-franca-de-xira-considerations.30966/

Ernie - congrats on a great adventure ahead of you both.
Sounds like you both a well suited. Just wanted to share a few pointers of my experience, having walked the portuguese in May last year (4 weeks)
I would not second the notion that much of this route is flat and on board walks. that is not a correct reflection of the camino portuguese in my experience and would be misleading.
The only boardwalk I ever encountered was on the day out of Porto/Matasinho onto Vila de Conde. Yes, that was rather flat, as one could expect walking alongside that particular bit of atlantic ocean. - But Diogo posted a few days ago about new boardwalks installed in a section after Lisbon (happened last fall apparently) - he also posted a few photos. search this thread and you will find other good info too...
otherwise to add:
The only steady flat part was the area of the Tejo river area -
It gets hilly and steep in parts, but none would be like crossing the alps or such. I believe the hightest elevation change within one day was out of Ponte de Lima at sea/river level up to 430 meters or thereabouts. So, there was some huffing and puffing about for sure!
There is also much walking on tarmac and cobblestones and old roman pathways - hence, investing in good shoes is highly recommended for sure.
I never pushed myself for long days. Never saw the point of that. For me it was a good mix between 15km - 27 km days. First day though I started off w/ just 11km. - I wanted to end my walking days still with a smile on my face and energy enough to perhaps explore the sights... so i never rushed or had an agenda.
sounds you mum would be in good shape for that.
people have posted numerous photos on the caminho ... below a link to the images i've taken... enjoy...and bom caminho!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/users/amorfati1.22497/

Actually, the GPS in Labruja only marks 384m up. The problem it's the way how you go up.

You can check for the complete altimetry for the Spanish section in here: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/altimetria-caminho-portugues/

I think that, the worst for the Portuguese are the distances. Those yes, are killer. A lot of people say that it's mostly flat, BUT consider that even during a flat day, you can still accumulate like 800m of ascent and descent.

The post that Claudia was talking about it's this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-vila-franca-de-xira-considerations.30966/

Actually, the GPS in Labruja only marks 384m up. The problem it's the way how you go up.
Hey my friend ! I never felt walking like a mountaineer on the Portugese , neither in Portugal nor in Galicean Spain. Did I follow the wrong waymarks ? An 800 meters elevation I never met there.
But if we , all posters , go back to the first post of this thread I noticed it was written in the "coastal " so no worry about altitudes. Just be worried about the wind and the lonelyness on the Coastal.

About the distances. Maybe the distances from Lisbon to Porto are longer stages but in the meantime due to pickup services organised by Mario of the Santarėm Hostal within his network thisis no issue anymore. We even made it without that network. From Porto it is no issue at all .within 15 to 20 kms you can walk to your next place to sleep, even on the Coastal.
Bom caminho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey my friend ! I never felt walking like a mountaineer on the Portugese , neither in Portugal nor in Galicean Spain. Did I follow the wrong waymarks ? An 800 meters elevation I never met there.
But if we , all posters , go back to the first post of this thread I noticed it was written in the "coastal " so no worry about altitudes. Just be worried about the wind and the lonelyness on the Coastal.

About the distances. Maybe the distances from Lisbon to Porto are longer stages but in the meantime due to pickup services organised by Mario of the Santarėm Hostal within his network thisis no issue anymore. We even made it without that network. From Porto it is no issue at all .within 15 to 20 kms you can walk to your next place to sleep, even on the Coastal.
Bom caminho

Accumulated elevation ;)

Take the tracklog from Lisboa untill Vila Franca de Xira. You will notice that for the entire stage, the elevation gain going up was 782m, and the elevation going downhill was something like 896m.

So, as you can see, although mostly flat, you will still gain a lot of elevation.

Most read last week in this forum

Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back