• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worries

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Am I alone in thinking that.... Were I a first-time pilgrim (again), reading the posts, I would be very worried?

Theft, exhibitionists, rescues, deaths even, no room at the inn, crowds, empty wilderness, snakes, pack too heavy? , what if.... ?

I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few....

How to strike a balance is difficult, between answering questions and not causing more anxiety.... Don’t you think?

Oh wait, it could be just life as we know it.... Deciding to walk the Camino makes us feel different but it doesn’t change the world around us.....

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The world is as it has always been. What is happening now has always happened - the briefest reading of history shows this ....

... all we can do, as we have always done as we walk amongst those wolves is, as in Matthew 10:16, to "be as innocent as doves but as wise as serpents".

Buen Camino

Am I alone in thinking that.... Were I a first-time pilgrim (again), reading the posts, I would be very worried?

Theft, exhibitionists, rescues, deaths even, no room at the inn, crowds, empty wilderness, snakes, pack too heavy? , what if.... ?

How to strike a balance is difficult, between answering questions and not causing more anxiety.... Don’t you think?

Oh wait, it could be just life as we know it.... Deciding to walk the Camino makes us feel different but it doesn’t change the world around us.....

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
Oh, dear domigee, have you possibly opened a can of worms here? Replies should be interesting indeed!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, they are not all very worried because there are two kinds of people: those who read these threads and think it means that it’s all is doom and gloom and those who read them and think, ok so it’s not all honky dory, good to know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
Interesting question(s) / topic and timing. I just missed my connecting flight from Madrid after just returning from Camino #2 from Burgos to Ponferrada. Will come back hopefully in Sept. to finish to Finnistere. Anyway, thought I would jump on here which I don't do much anymore and frankly the discussions, topics, positive attitudes that I used to enjoy seemed to have changed over the years for me. While walking for the last two weeks I did not have one discussion about bed bugs, theft, over worrying about trivial things, etc. Just mostly good people from all over the world walking, talking, and enjoying and adjusting to things and moments as they came. The albergue world we all just mostly laughed about and it was just part of the experience (it was as if we were embracing the snorers, farters, etc. with open arms). There was a two or three day span of mild bed shortage and chatter but everyone adjusted accordingly. Maybe it caused a night or two at the most of mild annoyance or inconvenience.

While I agree the the Camino is getting very popular and the dynamics probably changing a bit it is still mostly what you make of it in my opinion. In closing and to be brutally honest I see some of the misinformation, fears and/or complaints sometimes on here and I think to myself I hope I don't end up on the trail at the same time. So, just my two cents...which I realize isn't even worth that. Maybe be back after Camino #3.

While walking for the last two weeks I did not have one discussion about bed bugs, theft, over worrying about trivial things, etc. Just mostly good people from all over the world walking, talking, and enjoying and adjusting to things and moments as they came. The albergue world we all just mostly laughed about and it was just part of the experience (it was as if we were embracing the snorers, farters, etc. with open arms). There was a two or three day span of mild bed shortage and chatter but everyone adjusted accordingly. Maybe it caused a night or two at the most of mild annoyance or inconvenience.
Oh, wonderful! Wishing you a good flight back. 🙂

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
NO!!!!!!!!!! You would not be alone. If I didn't know better, I would think posters would be trying to discourage from doing this life changing event. Just saying..... I have been and if I some of these posts, I would certainly have second thoughts. Let me end with saying, I experienced NONE of this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
NO!!!!!!!!!! You would not be alone. If I didn't know better, I would think posters would be trying to discourage from doing this life changing event. Just saying..... I have been and if I some of these posts, I would certainly have second thoughts. Let me end with saying, I experienced NONE of this.
Thanks for that! You and me both🙂

While walking for the last two weeks I did not have one discussion about bed bugs, theft, over worrying about trivial things, etc. Just mostly good people from all over the world walking, talking, and enjoying and adjusting to things and moments as they came. The albergue world we all just mostly laughed about and it was just part of the experience (it was as if we were embracing the snorers, farters, etc. with open arms). There was a two or three day span of mild bed shortage and chatter but everyone adjusted accordingly. Maybe it caused a night or two at the most of mild annoyance or inconvenience.

While I agree the the Camino is getting very popular and the dynamics probably changing a bit it is still mostly what you make of it in my opinion. In closing and to be brutally honest I see some of the misinformation, fears and/or complaints sometimes on here and I think to myself I hope I don't end up on the trail at the same time. So, just my two cents...which I realize isn't even worth that. Maybe be back after Camino #3.
[/QUOTE]
Brian,
Your experience was mine as well. I was there Sept/Oct last year. If there were complaints, they were mostly laughed off and looking forward to the next days walk. Though I stayed in private rooms the entire way (with the exception of Orrisson), we met lots of wonderful people from all over the world who stayed in alberques and just went with flow and enjoyed the journey.

To all the first timers out there, please don't be discouraged. Your journey will be yours and yours alone. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When we first walked the Camino this forum didn't exist and we did our research the old fashioned way, via books. There was even then plenty of indications of the dangers of travels, the fact you were locked into alburgues for your safety was a hang over from days when pilgrims risked their lives to travel on sometime hostile roads. But that didn't put us off.

The forum would have been very useful to us in our research, but I doubt it would have put us off that first time. I have found it to be very useful to research some of the less travelled paths, and am grateful to those who share their experience for others to learn from. After all that the forums aim.

For some reason we get a fair few people asking us about what it's like to walk the Camino. Some of potential newbies have lots of questions and often I get them coming back with more and more questions and worries, it's almost like they are trying to talk themselves out of going. Most of these people don't go, their main reason appears to be finding the time to go. While the others, just get up and go. I think it comes down to if you are an adventurous soul, if you are you will seek out new experiences regardless. As Scott used to say, life is to short to wonder the what ifs.

@hel&scott, I see from your avatar that you walked in 2004?! I didn’t walk then but I considered it and I am pretty certain that there was already at least one online forum, perhaps in French or German. I can’t find it anymore, it is defunct. I remember that I read about a case with an exhibitionist then and that there were only 100 places in Roncesvalles and when it was full one had to walk on. I remember the discussions as more matter of fact - this is how it is, deal with it. It obviously didn’t stop hundreds of thousands from walking during the following 15 years until today. 😊

Oh, and people read the whole thread before they replied, it seemed all a bit saner than now where people just read the first message or the subject line and then have something to share, without any consideration of what others had clarified or corrected. I blame the smartphones - it was so much better when people had only desktop computers ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I blame the smartphones - it was so much better when people had only desktop computers ...
This comment, partly made in jest, got me thinking. Smartphones and the possibility to connect immediately to a large audience do have an impact because more people than before make use of it now. In earlier years, when there was a minor mishap of some sort, you didn’t have access to a global echo chamber, and by the time you got home, you had mostly forgotten about it, had mellowed, and, if at all, you mentioned it to a handful of family members and friends. Now you can share it immediately with what ... a potential audience of several thousand or even several ten thousand ? And among those are a few who had a similar mishap, or heard about one through the friend of a friend’s friend, or read about it on Facebook, and they are more likely to share than the huge silent majority who didn’t.

You notice it in other ways. There are more and more questions now on the forum about where the next bus stop is or a medical center or a sports shop. You ask online instead of figuring it out yourself or asking the people around you, such as where you are staying for example.

The means and tools of communication change its content in general perhaps?

Last edited:
Those days on the Camino pre everyday internet access were adventurous to say the least!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

To answer your question: no, you are not alone in thinking that. In fact, I am glad I did not know about this forum when preparing for my first camino. At that time I just took advice from one friend, who thought the camino was something for me (although I wasn't sure about this myself); she made a point of not giving too much advice and said I would find out for myself whether the camino was for me. And if not, just stop walking and do something else instead.
Well, and she insisted not to bring a poncho, because a raincoat would do the job. Had I been on the forum, and being a indecisive and worrying person by nature, I wonder if I had ever started my first camino cos it would have probably taken me a year just to decide on whether or not to bring a poncho...

@domigee Interesting question. I am slightly torn now when I read the forum. I wouldn't say that many of the posts annoy me, but a huge number don't engage me. I prefer more thoughtful and less practical issues, which still manage to sneak past the mods sometimes <joke emoji>. I say it as often as I remember: the mods on this forum do a fantastic job and they deserve all our gratitude. ❤
I have often claimed that I will never enter discussion about snoring, bedbugs or blisters, and I believe I never have. But I know they ARE very important to some people.
And security is genuinely important issue, and it is good to publicise practical safety measures.
I have walked a lot, eleven times on Caminos and from Canterbury to Thessaloniki and I have yet to spend the night without a roof over me, though there has not always been a definable bed under that roof. And I have only EVER once found myself looking to get into an albergue that was full (in O Pedrouzo), and on that occasion there were at least fifty spaces in the 'semi-detached' albergue next door to it. So I am fairly liberal with dispensing pinches of salt. Whatever I may worry about, accommodation is not one of them.
But I can remember a long time back being anxious before taking my first tentative steps and I did find the discussions useful, and I try to extend that courtesy to others, as so many generously do.
I never really plan beyond the first day of any trip, but I know that doesn't work for everyone. And yet I recommend it.
Tim

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
I am currently walking my 8th Camino. I am a 73 year old woman who walked alone last May. Not once did I experience thief and always found a room. Once I surprised a man who was embarrassed to be caught peeing on the side of the road. I am sure I have been seen too by accident. Last year in Logrono during the wine festival some very handsome drunk young Spaniards laughingly flashed me their beautiful abs as I showed a man to the bathroom. I laughed and considered it a very pleasant memory but I could see how it might frighten a lone woman on the road.
So don't worry, things happen every where even at home. Keep valuables with you and enjoy the Camino. A bad day there is better than a good day at home.

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
All of these issues are seen in your own home town. The way is more than 98% worry free, freedom of choices, thoughts, beauty, nature, sights, sounds, smells, foods and awesome people from all over the world. I walk worry free, pay attention to everything. Doing it my way, With Love ♥️

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
I’m walking now and have experienced none of the horrors that are sometimes described here on the forum regarding the Camino. What I have concluded is that some isolated unfortunate incidents do occur, rumors get passed on, anecdotes told, exaggerations are spun, bad information is passed off as good . . . . But I’ve found the Camino during my own walk to be a safe, straight forward place with few surprises other than occasionally getting lost. My advice is double check information, because some some well intended sources may not be completely reliable. My other thought is to ignore the horror stories and just get on with your Camino. You will have a wonderful experience, and it is unlikely that anything untoward will happen. But the Camino will amaze and change you and is well worth overcoming any momentary hesitation you may have on the eve of leaving. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m walking now and have experienced none of the horrors that are sometimes described here on the forum regarding the Camino.
I wonder whether this is because you followed your own advice: “The gold standard is a reservation, ASAP, at both Orisson and Roncesvalles”?

Some of us tried to explain the limited scope of the problem (when and how it occurs at Roncesvalles). I’m searching my soul now asking myself whether I’ve contributed to needlessly worrying the uninitiated, and it is little consolation to me that I, together with a few other hardy souls, may have actually contributed something that was - and may be - useful to newcomers in the planning state. Maybe better shut up and spread the “never worry, never plan, just walk” message in future. 😏

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
You have forgotten the most important question of all, sleeping bag or liner.

On a more serious note, all of the above things may or may not happen at any point on the Camino or in life, the only thing that is not in doubt is death, so you can either sit in your safe bubble waiting to die or you can go about your life and it worry because the inevitable will happen , so why not enjoy EVERYTHING whe you can.

Interesting question(s) / topic and timing. I just missed my connecting flight from Madrid after just returning from Camino #2 from Burgos to Ponferrada. Will come back hopefully in Sept. to finish to Finnistere. Anyway, thought I would jump on here which I don't do much anymore and frankly the discussions, topics, positive attitudes that I used to enjoy seemed to have changed over the years for me. While walking for the last two weeks I did not have one discussion about bed bugs, theft, over worrying about trivial things, etc. Just mostly good people from all over the world walking, talking, and enjoying and adjusting to things and moments as they came. The albergue world we all just mostly laughed about and it was just part of the experience (it was as if we were embracing the snorers, farters, etc. with open arms). There was a two or three day span of mild bed shortage and chatter but everyone adjusted accordingly. Maybe it caused a night or two at the most of mild annoyance or inconvenience.

Having read all of the replies here, I feel that there may be 2 sides to this discussion
Our first Camino was in 2005 and we did not have a clue....about anything...re accommodation, bed bugs, water etc.
We just took off like 2 crazy people ....no planning..no nothing. No mobile phones

We had 5 pages about stages from an old book.
We had a wonderful time and just walked without a care in the world and without difficulty
Following that, we walked many caminos with much the same attitude and eventually I joined the forum in 2015

After all, we were travelling in Spain France or Italy........not Outer Mongolia!!!!

We still do not have smartphones ...Facebook ...GPS etc ...but more of this further down

What I see now are the same questions being asked over and over again...eg. How do I get from A to B .....what will I pack..can I take poles on as hand luggage. Will I take a hairdryer, what shampoo should I take ..........I don't even bother reading these posts now unless it's about a health consideration

Now a lot of these questions come from people with the ability to look these things up on social media.
Also many answers can be found on the forum.

Renfe and Alsa have websites don't they?
And there are always buses, taxis ..or the thumb if required

The only thing that I think is reasonable is that people are aware of booking in SJPDP or Roncesvelles because of the initial crowds.

However it would be a shame if people feel that they cannot ask...what the rest of us feel are silly questions.

Now......on the other hand ... And the other side of the story.....last year we walked the Salvidor and I honestly believe that we would not have been able to do this without Lauries Enders and Rebekah PDF ...it was invaluable re accommodation etc

This month we will walk the Invierno ...again with Lauries ....and so many other forum contributions from forum members.

Also the forum has opened up so many other Camino routes that we hope to walk but are not well known ...dare I mention the Vasco recently walked by Sabine and VN walking??
No, better keep quiet about this one till we've walked it!!

Now....the only thing I am waiting for is for Laurie to walk the Olvidado and document her journey in a PDF ....as we still can't use SMS or GPS or whatever it's called to find our way ...just hope there are plenty of yellow arrows!!!!
Best wishes
Annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
It's pretty simple! Am I driven by my hopes or my fears? I choose hopes.

I’m searching my soul now asking myself whether I’ve contributed to needlessly worrying the uninitiated, and it is little consolation to me that I, together with a few other hardy souls, may have actually contributed something that was - and may be - useful to newcomers in the planning state. Maybe better shut up and spread the “never worry, never plan, just walk” message in future. 😏
I think worrying is a human condition and if the negative experience wasn't highlighted I for one would be suspicious. So often now canny shoppers are more interested in reading the negative three star and below reviews. It provides reassurance and balance of informed opinion as part of the process of preparation. When planning my Camino I focused on the topics around preparation and prevention, equipping myself with gerwhol barrier cream and anti bed bug sheet as this was my only concern and it served me well although I could have probably had a similar experience without the barrier cream and bed bug sheet. Three Caminos, blister free and no bites. I didn't book ahead after St Jean and Ronsevalles in September and although the route was busy and some albergues were full I was never without a shelter, food, warmth, water and clothing. I don't doubt the scare stories are real but relative to the amount of positive stories that less people write or read they are few and far between. Pack hope, forgiveness, love, charity and positivity and you'll experience what you present and forget the guidebook, overpreperation and walking someone else's Camino you might miss out on the the magic, simply follow the yellow arrows and hope for the best. If the worst happens share the problem and watch it being halved 🤠

On a similar theme ...

I have been invited to the theatre next Friday, to meet with a group of friends .. but although I am really excited about going I also have some reservations so before I say yes or no I wonder if the forum can help me with some of my questions?

1) Google maps gives the journey time as 42 minutes but what if there is a breakdown or accident on my route - should I add in an extra hour? Two hours? And although my car is pretty fit, what do I do if it develops a fault?

2) And what about driving home? Are there many drunk drivers late on a Friday? Is it safe? Can you guarantee that?

3) There is a car park near the theatre but it doesn't say how big it is or how busy it will be! Will I find a space or will I be driving round looking for street parking and in the end have to drive home again and miss the play?

4) I don't know all of the party - what if I don't like some of them? What if I have to sit next to a noisy person? It could make my evening difficult.

5) What if I don't like the play? Can I go home in the interval or would that be seen as rude?

6) Thousands of other people will have sat on the seat I will sit on. Will it be clean? Could there be any bugs on it? Should I bring a bug spray? Or maybe a permethrin coated seat cover? Where can I buy one?

7) What is the average cost of an outing like this? What should I budget?

8) I am not certain what to wear and take with me. Should I wear comfortable clothes or will I look out of place? Maybe I should wear a suit? If so, do I wear a tie or leave my shirt collar open? The forecast is warm and dry but what if it rains? Should I take waterproofs with me?

9) Will my car be broken into or stolen whilst I am in the theatre?

10) Is it safe coming out of a theatre on a Friday night in a city?

... I don't know - I have heard that it is a wonderful life-changing play about the Camino ... but maybe I shouldn't go?

What do you think?? Help!!

:eek: :eek: ;) ;) ;) :D:D

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think worrying is a human condition and if the negative experience wasn't highlighted I for one would be suspicious. So often now canny shoppers are more interested in reading the negative three star and below reviews. It provides reassurance and balance of informed opinion as part of the process of preparation. When planning my Camino I focused on the topics around preparation and prevention, equipping myself with gerwhol barrier cream and anti bed bug sheet as this was my only concern and it served me well although I could have probably had a similar experience without the barrier cream and bed bug sheet. Three Caminos, blister free and no bites. I didn't book ahead after St Jean and Ronsevalles in September and although the route was busy and some albergues were full I was never without a shelter, food, warmth, water and clothing. I don't doubt the scare stories are real but relative to the amount of positive stories that less people write or read they are few and far between. Pack hope, forgiveness, love, charity and positivity and you'll experience what you present and forget the guidebook, overpreperation and walking someone else's Camino you might miss out on the the magic, simply follow the yellow arrows and hope for the best. If the worst happens share the problem and watch it being halved 🤠
Very well put. Thanks.
I am not quite sure what Gerwohl barrier cream is, but on my very first Camino someone gave me a large container of 'Miracle Foot Cream'. I donated it to the albergue on night two I think. :)

Also the forum has opened up so many other Camino routes that we hope to walk but are not well known ...dare I mention the Vasco recently walked by Sabine and VN walking??
No, better keep quiet about this one till we've walked it!!
Thanks @Annette london. Very well put in your post.
But PLEASE Shhhhhhhhh about the Vasco!!!!🤭🤭🤭🤭
It has just gone on my list

On a similar theme ...

I have been invited to the theatre next Friday, to meet with a group of friends .. but although I am really excited about going I also have some reservations so before I say yes or no I wonder if the forum can help me with some of my questions?

1) Google maps gives the journey time as 42 minutes but what if there is a breakdown or accident on my route - should I add in an extra hour? Two hours? And although my car is pretty fit, what do I do if it develops a fault?

2) And what about driving home? Are there many drunk drivers late on a Friday? Is it safe? Can you guarantee that?

3) There is a car park near the theatre but it doesn't say how big it is or how busy it will be! Will I find a space or will I be driving round looking for street parking and in the end have to drive home again and miss the play?

4) I don't know all of the party - what if I don't like some of them? What if I have to sit next to a noisy person? It could make my evening difficult.

5) What if I don't like the play? Can I go home in the interval or would that be seen as rude?

6) Thousands of other people will have sat on the seat I will sit on. Will it be clean? Could there be any bugs on it? Should I bring a bug spray? Or maybe a permethrin coated seat cover? Where can I buy one?

8) I am not certain what to wear and take with me. Should I wear comfortable clothes or will I look out of place? Maybe I should wear a suit? If so, do I wear a tie or leave my shirt collar open? The forecast is warm and dry but what if it rains? Should I take waterproofs with me?

... I don't know - I have heard that it is a wonderful life-changing play about the Camino ... but maybe I shouldn't go?

But David, you are describing a very hypothetical situation. In real life you would have started your research at least 6 month before consulting literature and different forums about prices, what to wear, statistics about the possibility of breakdowns and accidents on the route, abundance of drunks drivers on the route and you would have investigated alternative ways to get to the theatre. You would leave at 6 AM in order to beat the crowd for a parking space and returning home, you would undress in the street, put all your clothes in a big, black plastic bag and later give it a heat treatment to avoid the risk of getting bugs into your home.

You would be well prepared…. :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Firstly, let me say a big thank you to those that have shared some very valuable advise and suggestions for the Camino.
My husband and I will be starting our first Camino in late August. He is 66 and an experienced hiker having carried a pack in pretty extreme conditions, while I’m 60 with no experience. I have trained ALOT and (mostly) find the comments and advise helpful. Occasionally comments about bedbugs etc makes me wonder, but really how boring would it be if everything was smooth sailing? Some of our best memories of travel have been when things have not gone to plan.
Just looking forward to getting started, and yes, we have booked Orisson and Roncevalles, my pack is 6kg, still undecided about sleeping bag, buses are under control, will take it easy to begin with, and husband promises not to snore.
Buen Camino.

I am not quite sure what Gerwohl barrier cream is, but on my very first Camino someone gave me a large container of 'Miracle Foot Cream'. I donated it to the albergue on night two I think. :)

Thank you @timr I expect miracle cream is similar, applied every morning and as soon as experienced hot spots on feet. I donated mine to a vegan cafe for pilgrim's in Finisterre. On returning home planned and walked Camino da Fe at start of year in Brazil and purchased again this time for half the price and this time carried it with me just in case and shared along the blister free way 🤠

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-102432.png
    Screenshot_20190603-102432.png
    220.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thank you @timr I expect miracle cream is similar, applied every morning and as soon as experienced hot spots on feet. I donated mine to a vegan cafe for pilgrim's in Finisterre. On returning home planned and walked Camino de Fe at start of year in Brazil and purchased again this time for half the price and this time carried it with me just in case and shared along the blister free way 🤠
I visited Aparecida a few years ago and saw a few people walking (on the motorway!) the last few km to the shrine. And yellow arrows at the gates. I would love to do it but I need to get to Jerusalem first.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I visited Aparecida a few years ago and saw a few people walking (on the motorway!) the last few km to the shrine. And yellow arrows at the gates. I would love to do it but I need to get to Jerusalem first.....
Brilliant, most people haven't heard of Our Lady of Aparecida, the majority of pilgrims are bicigrinos but I walked half of the route and with heat and distance between stops more challenging that Frances or Portuguese. The Jerusalem walk sounds amazing, maybe someday but have to do the Canterbury to Rome walk first 😊

On a similar theme ...

Loved this, David...brilliant and very clever! 😂

On a similar theme ...

This actually makes me anxious!! There IS a lot to think about when going to the theater with friends! o_O :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only fear I had on the Camino was crossing the road, although I have been crossing the road on my own for 50 years, I fear for my life when I am in countries where they drive on the Right, I come from the UK where they drive on the left so I naturally look right before I cross, forgetting that the cars are comi g from my left. I don't worry about all the other things because they can be sorted relatively easily, being squashed by a vehicle tends to be more serious.

Those days on the Camino pre everyday internet access were adventurous to say the least!
I hitch-hiked around Europe when I was 17, and I sailed around the world a couple of years later. My Mumhad no idea where i was from one week to the next, unless she received a postcard from somewhere. People now are astonished at that.

I hitch-hiked around Europe when I was 17, and I sailed around the world a couple of years later. My Mumhad no idea where i was from one week to the next, unless she received a postcard from somewhere. People now are astonished at that.
I'm really glad I wasn't your mom! 😲

€149,-
I'm really glad I wasn't your mom! 😲
The point is though that in the days before near instant communication, that was normal. Even making an international phone call could be complex and very expensive. Also, I grew up in the 1960s when kids were not locked up in their homes by fearful parents, much of the time we were thrown out of the house in the morning with a bag of sandwiches and money for a public phone and expected to be back for tea time. We made our own fun and our own adventures, one ofour favourites was to walk/wade/swim down the local river to the sea a mile away, then back up the road picking up discarded glass bottles on the way which we could return to the shop and get a few pennies back because of the deposit. We were not exceptional, it was normal for most kids, and the result was that we learned to be self sufficient and independent because we didn't have adults hovering over us at every second.

It wouldn't even occur to me to be particularly nervous about travelling, or walking alone. The risks are very small in most places and unlike many younger people I was not taught to be fearful as a child.

I’ve vowed not to post any news anymore that might cause worries and spread negativity instead of positive feelings but there is currently, and unusually, an active request from the Navarra police asking the public for help with finding a missing pilgrim. Google it if you think you can help or spread the message.

Edited to add: That was unusual, never seen such an official request before. Solved now.

Last edited:
I’ve vowed not to post any news anymore that might cause worries and spread negativity instead of positive feelings but there is currently, and unusually, an active request from the Navarra police asking the public for help with finding a missing pilgrim. Google it if you think you can help or spread the message.
Where is the area of the missing pilgrim

I’ve walked two Caminos- the Frances and the Portuguese. I can’t remember anything “bad” happening on either one.

This thread reminds me of buying a washing machine a few years ago. Going online to research, the reviews of *every* washing machine appeared to be a scam to get you to throw your money away. Failed on initial wash, flooded the laundry room, expensive control units failed and weren’t covered by warranty, etc.

Yet every homeowner I knew had a washing machine and I couldn’t remember hearing anyone complain about theirs. When I was a kid, every little town had one or two appliance repair shops, and those guys are mostly gone.

So I figured that the online world is dominated by the people who experienced problems, and that while it was certainly possible my future washing machine would have problems, it probably wouldn’t.

Same goes for the Camino. Stuff happens. Your lottery ticket may get pulled, but I believe that simple, sensible precautions (like keeping your wallet with you) reduce opportunity thefts (which I never heard happening) and help peace of mind at very low cost to your experience.

And props to you Brian for focusing on the meditative Meseta!

The point is though that in the days before near instant communication, that was normal. Even making an international phone call could be complex and very expensive. Also, I grew up in the 1960s when kids were not locked up in their homes by fearful parents, much of the time we were thrown out of the house in the morning with a bag of sandwiches and money for a public phone and expected to be back for tea time. We made our own fun and our own adventures, one ofour favourites was to walk/wade/swim down the local river to the sea a mile away, then back up the road picking up discarded glass bottles on the way which we could return to the shop and get a few pennies back because of the deposit. We were not exceptional, it was normal for most kids, and the result was that we learned to be self sufficient and independent because we didn't have adults hovering over us at every second.

It wouldn't even occur to me to be particularly nervous about travelling, or walking alone. The risks are very small in most places and unlike many younger people I was not taught to be fearful as a child.
It was a good world... I also had this experience growing up. Traveling alone at a young age, I never worried and I don't think my parents did either. We all felt it was a great adventure

Well here in Sweden we have the opposite problem according to the media. People are only posting sunny pics from the mountains and tell everyone how great it is. then people go there unprepared, don't have warm clothes with the and no rain gear either. The weather can turn quick from +25 C to snow storm in a day. So I do prefer the honesty of this forum, be prepared and be alert but enjoy your camino. It is a safe place.

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
As a soon to be first timer I have not let any negative comments put me off or worry me at all. I look on this as a tremendous adventure and have really enjoyed surfing all the threads as part of my research which has been really helpful particularly with regard to equipment and packing lists. I frequently laugh at loud at some of the comments and think this forum really fosters a sense of community amongst its members. I look forward to starting my Camino and hope to meet some of you along the way!

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)
We are in Ledigos tonight having started out from SJPDP on 20th May. We have had none of the problems you mention and as far as we can gather neither have any of the many fellow pilgrims we have mer thus far. We did however hear that two people in Burgos had money stolen from them in an Albergue, one €1000 and the other €500. We are not sure if this was a fact but that was the rumour circulating on the trail.

€149,-
Having just returned from a most amazing experience walking the CF from May 5-June 6, I hope the answer to your question is a NO!

I'm sure it's good to be aware of certain places where it's wise to be a little more cautious but one of the things I'll take with me into post Camino life is the openness of the people I met from many many countries.

I didn't experience a SINGLE serious issue or ever feel in any danger.

It's a safe experience, just take appropriate care as you would when traveling anywhere.

Hope that helps any people worrying unduly. Take wise advice, read the guide books, and most importantly Buen Camino when you do it.

Discuss 😁😉 (Or not!)

I think being prepared and knowing is better than having pink glasses, everything sugarcoated, no sense of reality. There was a tendency in this forum a while ago. People got mocked for expressing concerns about safety. Now we have a special chapter dedicated to safety. Sadly that only after (here) unmentionable tragic event. We are not babies any more, we can face the world and if we dare to go solo on an adventure, we deserve the information.

I think being prepared and knowing is better than having pink glasses, everything sugarcoated, no sense of reality. There was a tendency in this forum a while ago. People got mocked for expressing concerns about safety. Now we have a special chapter dedicated to safety. Sadly that only after (here) unmentionable tragic event. We are not babies any more, we can face the world and if we dare to go solo on an adventure, we deserve the information.
I do not think anyone was trying to suggest otherwise or to mock. Safety is always a concern no matter where you travel. I think most of us would agree with that.
I do think, however, that the information can be presented in an "informative", constructive and instructive way so as to not frighten off prospective pilgrims. The challenge of doing the pilgrimage can be stressful enough for first timers without a lot of negative horror stories to add to it.

We are in Ledigos tonight having started out from SJPDP on 20th May. We have had none of the problems you mention and as far as we can gather neither have any of the many fellow pilgrims we have mer thus far. We did however hear that two people in Burgos had money stolen from them in an Albergue, one €1000 and the other €500. We are not sure if this was a fact but that was the rumour circulating on the trail.
Who carries €1000 on the Camino??!!??

On a similar theme ...

❤️❤️❤️

€83,-
They've actually caught one of the exhibitionists on the Camino!

I have more worries about my travel arrangements than I do what will happen once I land.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back