• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worrying about accommodation in July

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
¡Hola!

I am well into my preparations for the Camino del Norte this July. Like many, the summer is the only time I have available to complete the Camino due to work constraints.

I read this forum almost daily and greatly appreciate all of the information and tips. I read recently that the Frances is already seeing large numbers (in April!) and some are recommending reserving accommodation in advance. I also read that 2016 is the year of the Norte and I am starting to get very nervous about finding a bed each night. I want to enjoy each day and not have worries on my mind while I walk, but I'm hesitant to pre-book everything as I don't want to miss the camaraderie in the non-reservable albergues and would rather let my body decide when to stop.

For those who have completed the Norte in the summer months, any recommendations or words of wisdom for a worrier? Should I bring an inflatable mattress, just in case? Eek!

¡Muchas gracias!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Norte has always been a different animal as it is a tourist destination in summer months and because a good number of the accomodations there are not reserved for people carrying a credencial. And as you will ne there in high season prices in alternative lodging will also be more expensive. I walked from San Sebastian to LLanes starting in late September and many albergus filled up: La Sirena in San Sebastian, the Juvenil in Gernika (in fact in Gernika even the pensiones filled up), the train station in LLanes, and lerhaps others. Pobena apparently had people sleeping under the church poarch during the summer apparently (it's a muni where you cannot book). So without wanting to alarm you I would certainly book ahead where possible and I would certainly not want to arrive to the albergues too late in the day (people arriving around 8-9pm on the Primitivo last May getting the last bed or having to sleep outdoors on a picnic table or under a tractor o_O).

Thanks for the insight!

I will plan to reserve at least a day or two ahead and hope that will suffice. I am actually living in Bilbao for the time being (Canadian though!) so am not so interested in the more touristy places that I can visit at others times (San Sebastian, Gernika etc.). I'll aim to pass through those areas quickly and get to the little villages that I am most interested in spending time. Hopefully this strategy will work and I can avoid nights under a tractor!

Thanks again! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the insight!

I will plan to reserve at least a day or two ahead and hope that will suffice. I am actually living in Bilbao for the time being (Canadian though!) so am not so interested in the more touristy places that I can visit at others times (San Sebastian, Gernika etc.). I'll aim to pass through those areas quickly and get to the little villages that I am most interested in spending time. Hopefully this strategy will work and I can avoid nights under a tractor!

Thanks again! :)
And you will avoid the dreadful youth albergues in Bilbao. Lucky you!

Hello westkirsty;
Unfortunately the norte is getting more and more busy every passing year. Specially summer is a high season also for spanish holidays as you know. I will do part of the camino in July and august, I am trying to book when I think the albergue is small and probably difficult to get a place. Sometimes I tend to book privates albergues (the difference can be just 4 to 9 euros more than the publics) in other places I will choose an albergue just before or after the main town where the stage ends because it will be less crowed. You can check gronze web with lists of accomodations, prices and oppinions of other pilgrims to plan your trip. Also I must say your plans will be changed when you meet other people and share the pilgrimage, and this is probably the best that can happens to you, so dont plan too much in advance.
Buen Camino!
Ultreia !

Thank you for the advice! I have booked the first 3 nights (Irun, San Sebastian, and Getaria) just for peace of mind for those first few nights. Can't wait to meet others and see how things work themselves out.

I have to stay, when looking for a place to stay in San Sebastian, I was shocked by the prices! The reservable albergues were not available the date I was looking for and the only hostel with space (and not requiring 2 nights stay) is 53 euros a night! Yikes!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have to stay, when looking for a place to stay in San Sebastian, I was shocked by the prices! The reservable albergues were not available the date I was looking for and the only hostel with space (and not requiring 2 nights stay) is 53 euros a night! Yikes!

The prices of hotels in the Summer helped putting me off doing the Norte this year (and I was quoted much more than 53 euros)... One solution is sharing a room, makes it much more affordable if all the albergues are full. I'm thinking of walking it with my husband next year but you may meet fellow pilgrims with whom you could share a room....?

Sharing is a good option! Thanks!

I should mention, the 53 euros is for a bed in a shared dorm. I can't remember if it was an 8 or 12 bed room? Either way, it's a crazy price! I'm hoping prices ease up after Bilbao.

Hello
San Sebastian is one of the nicest places in Spain, so in summer the prices are very high. I think you will not face so expensive prices at the rest of your pilgrimage, enjoy!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
¡Hola!

I am well into my preparations for the Camino del Norte this July. Like many, the summer is the only time I have available to complete the Camino due to work constraints.

I read this forum almost daily and greatly appreciate all of the information and tips. I read recently that the Frances is already seeing large numbers (in April!) and some are recommending reserving accommodation in advance. I also read that 2016 is the year of the Norte and I am starting to get very nervous about finding a bed each night. I want to enjoy each day and not have worries on my mind while I walk, but I'm hesitant to pre-book everything as I don't want to miss the camaraderie in the non-reservable albergues and would rather let my body decide when to stop.

For those who have completed the Norte in the summer months, any recommendations or words of wisdom for a worrier? Should I bring an inflatable mattress, just in case? Eek!

¡Muchas gracias!

Hi,

Irún-San Sebastán-Getaria: you miss out on one of the best albergues of the Norte: in Orio, some 16 kms after San Sebastián! Stop and have a look at least: it's a cozy place.

San Sebastián is reportedly a tricky place so it's a good thing you have booked. I had to stay at a pensión outside town because EVERYTHING in the city (and all the alternatives to everything) was occupied.

Crowds: it was already difficult in 2011 (I walked in late June through July). I was the last pilgrim in some albergues, but sometimes had to push on to the next village because it was all filled up. I never booked ahead though, booking ahead might solve these problems. It's just that I don't even want to think about how crowded this route should be in 2016...

I see that everything I write looks like I want to scare people away, ha ha. That's not what I mean. It's still one of the most beautiful caminos so far. If you book ahead I think you will be fine! Please let us know.

BP

Thanks! I will stop by Orio for a quick visit...or maybe change my plans and stay, who knows!

I'll just have to see how the crowds are and will send a note with an update :)

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.