• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worth carrying?

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Starting my Camino from SJPP on May 1st. Just bought a FABULOUS pair of brand new, waterproof boot gaiters for $2USD (1.6GBP, 1.85Euro) at a community sale. They weigh 9.7ounces (.27kilog) which would put me 3 ounces over my maximum dry weight. Knowledgable pilgrims, are they worth adding? I kinda fear wet feet and I would have no issue leaving them for others once in an area where the weather is more stable. Thanks in advance and Bueno Camino all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Myself I wouldn't bother but that's just me. I guess it depends whether you are going to wear rain pants or not, if you are then gaiters wouldn't really add anything. If on the othe hand you're using a poncho I can see the advantage. Never clear is it. You never know you might even get a completely dry Camino journey, I only had four wet days in 42.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My boots are waterproof and I have opted to not bring my late-husband's very nice and altered to fit me waterproof pants because they are too heavy (11 ounces). I think my foul weather plan is a hooded rain jacket covered by lighter weight poncho over me and backpack and bare legs. If my boots start getting damp I can fashion gaiters from my convertible pants lower leg sections. Thanks all - but man I have some uber-groovy gaiters now for snow-trekking when I get home!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably leave them at home.
Seems like some of that "extra" weight.

And there is no place where "the weather is more stable." It's all part of the adventure.

Buen occasionally soggy Camino. ;)

Gaiters might keep your feet dry depending on the conditions , but then they can also make them wet because they trap so much heat and moisture in your shoes .
What they do do ; and very well at that, is keep stones and worse still grass seeds and burrs out of your shoes and off your socks, they will also give some protection from grazing your ankles on particularly rocky paths . The added advantage , especially for Australian ' bush bashers ' is the mild protection from snakes they provide .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gaiters might keep your feet dry depending on the conditions , but then they can also make them wet because they trap so much heat and moisture in your shoes .
What they do do ; and very well at that, is keep stones and worse still grass seeds and burrs out of your shoes and off your socks, they will also give some protection from grazing your ankles on particularly rocky paths . The added advantage , especially for Australian ' bush bashers ' is the mild protection from snakes they provide .
- Oh these aren't my snake-proof gaiters (I live in Arizona in the US). A must if you bush-whack in the warm months around here.

Starting my Camino from SJPP on May 1st. Just bought a FABULOUS pair of brand new, waterproof boot gaiters for $2USD (1.6GBP, 1.85Euro) at a community sale. They weigh 9.7ounces (.27kilog) which would put me 3 ounces over my maximum dry weight. Knowledgable pilgrims, are they worth adding? I kinda fear wet feet and I would have no issue leaving them for others once in an area where the weather is more stable. Thanks in advance and Bueno Camino all.
Like everything we do, it is a personal choice of what to take on the Camino. I personally would not bother. I walked for about a week with a guy from Tasmania who used them only once on the whole of the Camino. If you have quick drying hiking pants and you do get wet the consolation is that they will dry quickly.

Buen Camino.

It seems like you paid almost nothing for these gaiters. What kind of socks do you walk in? To save ounces, I walk with no show socks, which leave me susceptible to pesky pebbles invading my shoes. These gaiters might keep those pesky pebbles out. Best case scenario, they make your life easier, so you keep. Worst case scenario, they don't do anything to make your life easier so you don't keep and you have room for a keepsake. Things may be dicey as you set out from SJPP, but as the weather improves, you may decide to lighten your pack.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My boots are waterproof and I have opted to not bring my late-husband's very nice and altered to fit me waterproof pants because they are too heavy (11 ounces). I think my foul weather plan is a hooded rain jacket covered by lighter weight poncho over me and backpack and bare legs. If my boots start getting damp I can fashion gaiters from my convertible pants lower leg sections. Thanks all - but man I have some uber-groovy gaiters now for snow-trekking when I get home!
I mentioned it on here numerous times, but on over 120 days on the Camino, I was rained on only 4 of those days. When it rained on me I was wearing shorts and just regular non-waterproof Merrell Moab hiking shoes. Rainproof cover on my pack and a Columbia packable rain jacket. My feet got wet, but it wasn't that big a deal. The shoes dry out, just like anything else.

I have the opposite experience to @Mark Lee. I have had weeks of rain on the camino. And sometimes with no hot shower for a few days and everything still wet the next day.
I still would not take gaiters. Dry clothes to change into at the end of the day - absolutely! Eventually your walking gear dries out.

Hello Shston Girlfd -

I, too, am leaving SJPP on May 1, and have also been wondering about gators. You beat me to the punch on the question. Nice to read all of these responses. Can't wait for May! If I don't see you on the way, Bueno Camino!

Andy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMHO and direct experience, gaiters are not worth the added weight. If you are wearing hiking pants with removable bottoms that are made of synthetic (e.g. nylon) fabric, the nylon does double-duty.

Because the weave is necessarily very tight, the lower pants legs shed excess water. They do get soaked, but when soaked, the pores in the fabric are temporarily sealed with water and the trouser legs actually help insulate your legs, by protecting them from wind. Also, this material dries out VERY fast.

In addition, the removable lower leg sections come into their greatest value when you realize you can just zip off and rinse out the bottom leg sections if they become muddy and grimy...they will. Just rinse them in the bottom of a shower stall, wring them out, and they are typically good to zip on and go again after 30 minutes hanging or pinned to the outside of your rucksack. I have even rinsed off mud in an animal trough along the way.

I hope this helps.

I purchased gaiters in SJPP for my April-May Camino last year and REALLY liked them. They protected my legs and feet below my poncho and kept my shoes cleaner and drier by keeping excess mud off them. Well worth the 30 euros I paid for them.

How do y'all get so muddy walking the Camino? I never saw muddy pilgrims?
The only time I got any mud on me was once on the first day on the Napoleon, over the Pyrenees. There is one section of the Camino, in the woods just before you get to Roncesvalles. The dang bicyclists going through that section have sort of plowed up the area, and as they go around the mudholes more and more, they just make it all one big muddy mess. The whole path. That day it was blue skies and nice, but had rained a bit a couple of days before I think, so the muddy section was fresh. As I generally try to avoid walking in the mud if possible, I went really wide right away from one muddy spot, which meant going up a bit of an incline off the path, which was cool until gravity took over. Down I went on my backside and slid a bit. Nothing bruised but my ego. Some mud on my shorts and shoes and legs, but it was dried off by the time I reached the albergue.

€149,-
I would make up my mind at the end of April, just before you go. Use one of the many weather forecast sites, such as wunderground, and see what is forecast. If it predicts long periods of heavy rain for several days at the beginning of May, then maybe take them. If only showers etc, especially if only in the late afternoon, then leave them behind. The later you go in May, the better the weather will be temperature wise, and the easier it is to cope with wet shoes and clothes. Last year I walked in Catalonia in May. There were several wet days, but all the heavy showers occurrred in the late afternoons when I was safely inside.

Hello Shston Girlfd,
A very light not see-through extra large scarf . I used it for privacy when needed, as a pillow case on occasion, as a saron for a night trip to the washroom (I slept in my undies and a t-shirt), as a blanket on the plane, as an extra towel,as a light blanket on a dreadful hot night, as a warm scarf in the chilly mornings and of course....as a "stylish" scarf in the evening. It was the only "pretty" feminine thing I had and it boost my moral when wearing same-old/ same-old for 5 weeks!
Mine had a lovely colorful pattern that did not show wear and tear, washed easily and dried in no time. Bring one, if you find it useless... gift it on you way, you might make someone's day.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You sure you are on the same camino than the rest of us @Mark Lee ?
No rain, no mud, no bedbugs..... ;););):D
Well, I did experience a little bit of rain, say 4 out of 120 days. That's about 3-4% I suppose.
The mud slide on my backside, and of course some on my shoes from dodging the bog created by the cursed bicyclists. ;)
but bedbugs? none....still batting 1000 there. :cool:
Maybe I should do a April or May Camino. Experience the cold and wet. ha ha

Walking in 3 days of pouring rain and blowing wind and entering into Santiago soaked from my knees down to my thoroughly soaked insoles of my waterproof boots, gaiters is the one thing I wished I had. Our 2 night, pre-booked room in Santiago had no heat, so we couldn't dry out. On our last night in Santiago, we found a room that had heat and finally got our shoes dried out, yet having to wear our flip-flops around rainy Santiago wasn't all that bad.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
- Oh these aren't my snake-proof gaiters (I live in Arizona in the US). A must if you bush-whack in the warm months around here.
Please excuse my ignorance but "snake proof" - how thick/heavy are they?? Whilst I (luckily) have had no close encounters the Western Rattlers I would have thought that for any gaiters to be snake proof would require them to be quite heavy. Best of luck with your Camino - I am also starting from St Jean on May 1st, see you at Orisson for coffee. Cheers

In two Caminos (first Sept & April, second April-May) I had quite a few rainy days but only one drenching where I wished I had had gaiters. It was just outside Pamplona in mid April. My Gortex shoes filled with water and the albergue where I took refuge had turned the heating off. I drained and stuffed my shoes with many newspapers which got successively drier, and went to dinner (& in fact slept with) with my innersoles under my shirt against my stomach to dry them out. They were completely dry by morning. The albergue finally turned the heating onto low late in the evening and after a few hours under that my shoes were fine the next day when I left for Alto de Perdon to see the sunrise. Happy decision making!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Shston Girlfd,
A very light not see-through extra large scarf . I used it for privacy when needed, as a pillow case on occasion, as a saron for a night trip to the washroom (I slept in my undies and a t-shirt), as a blanket on the plane, as an extra towel,as a light blanket on a dreadful hot night, as a warm scarf in the chilly mornings and of course....as a "stylish" scarf in the evening. It was the only "pretty" feminine thing I had and it boost my moral when wearing same-old/ same-old for 5 weeks!
Mine had a lovely colorful pattern that did not show wear and tear, washed easily and dried in no time. Bring one, if you find it useless... gift it on you way, you might make someone's day.
Buen Camino

Sounds wonderful and was one of the items I left at home that I wished I'd taken with me. Gators...no way. I hiked in sandals in August, September and October. Didn't hit much rain until October and my sandals dried very fast in the evening! Do bring the extra large scarf....you'll be glad you have it. Buen Camino

In two Caminos (first Sept & April, second April-May) I had quite a few rainy days but only one drenching where I wished I had had gaiters. It was just outside Pamplona in mid April. My Gortex shoes filled with water and the albergue where I took refuge had turned the heating off. I drained and stuffed my shoes with many newspapers which got successively drier, and went to dinner (& in fact slept with) with my innersoles under my shirt against my stomach to dry them out. They were completely dry by morning. The albergue finally turned the heating onto low late in the evening and after a few hours under that my shoes were fine the next day when I left for Alto de Perdon to see the sunrise. Happy decision making!

I drained and stuffed my shoes with many newspapers which got successively drier, and went to dinner (& in fact slept with) with my innersoles under my shirt against my stomach to dry them out. They were completely dry by morning

I wish I loved my inner soul that much! ;)

[QUOTE="Saint Mike II, post: 498076, member: 20994" I am also starting from St Jean on May 1st, see you at Orisson[/QUOTE]

A great Shame Saint Mike , I am booked into Orisson on the night of the 23rd of May , far too late to share a beer with you .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are leaving ours at home. Whilst setting off on our first Camino in Apr17 and therefore not able to quote first hand experience, all the reading and research we have done suggests there is no need to take them. We walk a lot in the UK, and only use them here if a significant portion of our walk is likely to be muddy, through gorse, or grass or a combination. This seems very unlikely in the French Camino in our walking period (April/May), and as one respondent has said, there is only one section coming towards Roncesvalles where mud may be an issue.

and as one respondent has said, there is only one section coming towards Roncesvalles where mud may be an issue.
With all due respect....my experience would suggest any dusty path can turn into mud with the application of sufficient water. (But I still wouldn't take gaiters)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
IMHO and direct experience, gaiters are not worth the added weight. If you are wearing hiking pants with removable bottoms that are made of synthetic (e.g. nylon) fabric, the nylon does double-duty.

Because the weave is necessarily very tight, the lower pants legs shed excess water. They do get soaked, but when soaked, the pores in the fabric are temporarily sealed with water and the trouser legs actually help insulate your legs, by protecting them from wind. Also, this material dries out VERY fast.

In addition, the removable lower leg sections come into their greatest value when you realize you can just zip off and rinse out the bottom leg sections if they become muddy and grimy...they will. Just rinse them in the bottom of a shower stall, wring them out, and they are typically good to zip on and go again after 30 minutes hanging or pinned to the outside of your rucksack. I have even rinsed off mud in an animal trough along the way.

I hope this helps.
- It does and thank you. Sometimes it takes a conversation about a topic to make the obvious clearer.

Please excuse my ignorance but "snake proof" - how thick/heavy are they?? Whilst I (luckily) have had no close encounters the Western Rattlers I would have thought that for any gaiters to be snake proof would require them to be quite heavy. Best of luck with your Camino - I am also starting from St Jean on May 1st, see you at Orisson for coffee. Cheers
They are very thick, stiff knee-high canvas and yes they are heavy but then when bushwhacking around here I have 3 priorities - water, sunscreen and my snake gaiters. It is so empty and quiet that you could hike for 3 days naked without worry of scaring anything but a passing deer. Perhaps you will come up lame and our paths will cross. Bueno Camino!

€149,-
Hello Shston Girlfd,
Buen Camino
A dear friend gave me a lovely and very practical scarf which will also be my only 'pretty' - I am currently focused on what I am going to mail forward to Ivar. I just this week realized that I will be wearing the same things for 40 days, almost a nightmare for me! For sure Ivar is going to get a tube of lipstick and a 'real' bra for safekeeping - perhaps a nice pair of dry shoes? Bueno Camino!

No Mud? I have watched many Camino you tube videos and in April there seems to be plenty of mud. In the UK I usually wear gaiters all the time when on the moors. I wear them even when wearing shorts.

Can I make it clear that the gaiters protect part of my boots and socks and that is all they do. My boots do and would protect me from the mud even without the gaiters.

As previously stated I have a problem with certain insects (animal fleas) and arachnids (ticks) which are totally absurd , but they are my fears and no one will convince me otherwise. In my imagination with my gaiters on not only will I have less boot to clean but total protection from the wee beasties that lurk in my mind.

Oh my - "total protection from the wee beasties that lurk in my mind" - see a problem/craft a solution. Love it! We all have 'wee beasties that lurk in our mind', wish we all could snap on a bit of protective gear and venture out in confidence. Bueno Camino!

Or almost anywhere in the southeastern US. Along the central Gulf Coast (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, northwest Florida) we had six types of poisonous snakes: three rattlers, cottonmouth, copperhead, and coral snake. I wore high-topped boots and watched where I stepped. My hiking staff always preceded me, so that a surprised snake would strike IT instead of me. :oops:

Back to the rain-gaiters: if you loathe wet feet as I do, those extra few ounces may just be worth it. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
9 oz is a fair bit of weight compared to other more critical items in a pack
My gaitors for hiking in the Pacific NW do not protect my feet- they merely keep my lower legs from wet and, hence , the boots indirectly from water running into the top of a boot. Since I ended up doing my September camino in Brooks "tennis shoes", gaitors would have provided no protection to the cloth top surface anyway

one of our forum members designed a tennis shoe gaitor that worked well to keep toes dry ( I didn't get mine made by the time I left)nanc
I would leave it out IMHO

They are very thick, stiff knee-high canvas and yes they are heavy but then when bushwhacking around here I have 3 priorities - water, sunscreen and my snake gaiters. It is so empty and quiet that you could hike for 3 days naked without worry of scaring anything but a passing deer. Perhaps you will come up lame and our paths will cross. Bueno Camino!

Hi - come up lame - please that is the last thing I want on day 1 of 31. My walking plan for the first week is "slow and steady" - with a stop at Orisson on the first night. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear rain pants when the rain is coming down hard and steady. I wouldn't bring gaiters. By the way, your gaiters weigh as much as my rain pants, which seems heavy to me for gaiters.

Hi its up to you if you want to take them, while on the Camino in July 2010 - one wet day, and in July - 2015 no wet days, then again it was July not May, but I would still not take them, if you do get wet feet ,they will soon dry out.

First, Galicia is, from what I understand, nearly always wet in one way or another. Folks who walk through that lovely, lush area, without getting wet must be living right.

Second, it isn't just about the rain coming down, it is also what (and how deep) the "stuff" is that you are walking through. We share the paths we walk with a variety of God's creatures. The lovely aroma of cow manure on your pant legs wafting through the room is hard to beat :). I spent a week - off and on - last spring walking with an Anglican priest who wore gaiters (his second time on the Camino Frances) and I must confess I was a little bit envious as he navigated through and around mud, snow and cow droppings. He also just looked cool, so that may have been part of why I was jealous.

Now, having said this, I do not plan on taking gaiters with me when I walk this April/May. Instead, I will do what I did last time: make sure I have the right - and right amount - of socks to change into and take an extra set of insoles for my Moab Ventilators (non-waterproof). I do apply a waterproof material to my shoes that, perhaps, helps a bit, but continues to let the shoes breathe in a way the manufacturer-waterproofed version of the shoe does not. On the wet, rainy, snowy days (I had five of those days last April/May) I can change socks and swap out my insoles to keep going.

When all is said and done, I think the gaiters are bit like an insurance policy. The question is do you want to pay the price (9.7 oz) with the thought you won't really want or need to use them. Although, as I said, the gators look pretty cool :).

Last edited:

€83,-
Used rain pants in 2015, real nuisance getting on and off. 2016, brought gaiters. Weighed less than the pants and easy on and off. Good in muddy areas even when not raining. Must admit though, only used them twice as there was very little rain last September/October.

I wore dirty girl gaitors when I hiked - on top of their being a water resistant fabric, I sprayed them, and my feet stayed dry. They weigh next to nothing. You might check them out. Just google that phrase.

My feet hate getting wet.
On a late autumn, winter or spring Camino I would consider short gaiters essential, along with waterproof boots.
Late spring, summer, early autumn camino I wouldn't bother with the gaiters.
Regards
Gerard.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the opposite experience to @Mark Lee. I have had weeks of rain on the camino. And sometimes with no hot shower for a few days and everything still wet the next day.
I still would not take gaiters. Dry clothes to change into at the end of the day - absolutely! Eventually your walking gear dries out.
Which trip/ time of year did you have all the rain?

Hi
Just from my perspective after two Caminos and walking long distances in Great Britain and the Alps.
Gaiters are fine against dust and mud. Against rain they are only useful long term if you have also over trousers and a poncho.
All the stuff should be GoreTex or similar breathable textile. Otherwise you will be soaked in sweat. This in particular if you wear gaiters to prevent stuff falling into your boots. Some outdoor stores here offer such gaiters for a reasonable price below 15 GBP.

I've never been tempted to wear gaiters with my sandals. Wet feet don't scare me. I wash them every day in the shower and so far they haven't melted.

Edited to add: Oh, and on my first camino I was paranoid about getting wet. I took everything possible to prevent it. Still got wet, but found it was no big deal.

€149,-
Hi
Just from my perspective after two Caminos and walking long distances in Great Britain and the Alps.
Gaiters are fine against dust and mud. Against rain they are only useful long term if you have also over trousers and a poncho.
All the stuff should be GoreTex or similar breathable textile. Otherwise you will be soaked in sweat. This in particular if you wear gaiters to prevent stuff falling into your boots. Some outdoor stores here offer such gaiters for a reasonable price below 15 GBP.
Re: "where the weather is more stable" Santiago lies in Galicia where the weather is very versatile. There is a good chance that you have good use for the gaiters towards the end of your way.

Which trip/ time of year did you have all the rain?
First week out of Seville in May 2016 = 7 days rain (but temperatures in the 30s either side of the rain).
More rain on the Sanabres in June (same trip).
Rain in Portugal for a few days in June 2015.
First and last three days of a 1,500km hike were in rain in 2014 (May and July) with eight weeks on sunshine in the middle (rain in France and from Fisterra to Santiago)
@Kanga is right - getting warm is key. I would now take a fleece vest to wear while walking because we got really cold as we "saved" our thermals and fleece jackets to wear after walking so they would not get wet. Whenever there were no hot showers at the end of the day we were pleased with this decision! I'd take a lightweight fleece vest before I took gaiters.

Waterproof pants that only weigh 1.3 ounces more than the gaiters is a no brainer. Take the waterproof pants. They can also pass as a pair of long pants when your others are still wet from laundry and you need long pants to go out for dinner because it is too cold to wear shorts. I have walked in May and believe me, we had sunshine, rain, sleet and snow in our 42 days of walking. Eight of the days were very wet.

First week out of Seville in May 2016 = 7 days rain (but temperatures in the 30s either side of the rain).
More rain on the Sanabres in June (same trip).
Rain in Portugal for a few days in June 2015.
First and last three days of a 1,500km hike were in rain in 2014 (May and July) with eight weeks on sunshine in the middle (rain in France and from Fisterra to Santiago)
@Kanga is right - getting warm is key. I would now take a fleece vest to wear while walking because we got really cold as we "saved" our thermals and fleece jackets to wear after walking so they would not get wet. Whenever there were no hot showers at the end of the day we were pleased with this decision! I'd take a lightweight fleece vest before I took gaiters.
Good idea!

Waterproof pants that only weigh 1.3 ounces more than the gaiters is a no brainer. Take the waterproof pants. They can also pass as a pair of long pants when your others are still wet from laundry and you need long pants to go out for dinner because it is too cold to wear shorts. I have walked in May and believe me, we had sunshine, rain, sleet and snow in our 42 days of walking. Eight of the days were very wet.
Very good point!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I did experience a little bit of rain, say 4 out of 120 days. That's about 3-4% I suppose.
The mud slide on my backside, and of course some on my shoes from dodging the bog created by the cursed bicyclists. ;)
but bedbugs? none....still batting 1000 there. :cool:
Maybe I should do a April or May Camino. Experience the cold and wet. ha ha

Mark: You lead a charmed existence. Either that or you have two heavy duty, VERY buff, Guardian Angels who lift you over the stuff the rest of us merely slog through.

If it is Spain and not paved, and if it is wet, it is likely MUD! I hate the stuff but accept it as the "cost of doing business."

Yes, the bicycles make it worse. But so too do the farm machinery in farm and vineyards. However, I acknowledge their precedent and primary right to be there and do what they do.

In the end, ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and get dirty. I have learned to avoid mud. Plus, I know that, anything that can get dirty can get clean.

I hope this helps.

Mark: You lead a charmed existence. Either that or you have two heavy duty, VERY buff, Guardian Angels who lift you over the stuff the rest of us merely slog through.

If it is Spain and not paved, and if it is wet, it is likely MUD! I hate the stuff but accept it as the "cost of doing business."

Yes, the bicycles make it worse. But so too do the farm machinery in farm and vineyards. However, I acknowledge their precedent and primary right to be there and do what they do.

In the end, ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and get dirty. I have learned to avoid mud. Plus, I know that, anything that can get dirty can get clean.

I hope this helps.
I hope those angels stick with me. I kinda like the dry and warm experience. :D
That spot just before Roncesvalles is about the only one I have had problems with when it's a muddy slush. Otherwise, besides the occasional one crowding me on the path, my dislike for bicyclists is minimal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Waterproof boots and shoes are only useful if the water does not go into the footwear from the foot opening. Whether or not they should be used is another topic.
Gaitors might prevent water entering over the top during rainstorms but Weather was always warm enough that gaitors would have been redundant.

Not in may

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Via de la Plata. That lovely gentleman waited by it in the pouring rain, knowing we were behind him and knowing I could use help getting across. It was COLD and fast.
Next time I'm gonna walk with @Mark Lee !!

I hope those angels stick with me. I kinda like the dry and warm experience. :D
That spot just before Roncesvalles is about the only one I have had problems with when it's a muddy slush.

I have been -- and I suspect you have too -- in soft mud up to just below my knees while in water up to my waist. I will do danged near anything to keep such things from happening ever again. Like you, I really admire the dry-and-warm (and mud-free) experience.

Walking in 3 days of pouring rain and blowing wind and entering into Santiago soaked from my knees down to my thoroughly soaked insoles of my waterproof boots, gaiters is the one thing I wished I had... having to wear our flip-flops around rainy Santiago wasn't all that bad.

Waterproof shoes keep water out. They keep water in too. :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True that! My shoes were Keen Voyagers.. had no blisters, and love their large box toe.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.