• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would a camping hammock be useful?

Manalishi

I often do short trips in the woods and use a http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.phphammock and tarp for overnights. I like this setup as its very light and comfortable. I wouldn't want to use it every night as part of the camino is the social aspect of staying in albergues.

Are there many places along the way where a hammock could be used? What are folks thoughts to having a hammock & tarp to be used as a backup place to sleep and also as a shelter that can be used during bad weather?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi! What time of year are you planning to do the Camino?

My problem would be I'd stay asleep too long & then not be able to get out anyway :lol:

If it's in you weight allowance go for it :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning on a mid April start. I have no strict timetable so the hammock may give possibilities to split some of the longer days.

My kit will take me down to a temperature around freezing point and consists of a silk liner, down filled top and under quilt. The liner and top quilt will be used in bunks too. Sleeping bags are not the best for hammock use as the insulation gets compressed by your body weight.

I would say no...especially along the Meseta where trees are few and far between and usually on private land.

There are definitely areas along the way where you could do it, but a lot of it is private land....and often where there are trees to hang your hammock, you still have to walk into town for food and whatnot.

I myself am looking into hammocking for when I backpack at home...it's an interesting concept and one that would work well in the woods of the Pacific NW. :) Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sure sounds like fun. Try to keep your total weight under 10 kilos. The further south of 10 kilos you can go, the better. I guess using it also depends on the time you want to devote to it. Once you got it set up you could probably let it out for a small donativo.

I considered taking my Clark Jungle Hammock, but after walking, learned in MOST places there was no place to hang a hammock. Plus the added weight of an underquilt, etc.
Unless your hammock sets up on the ground, I"d leave it home.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took a very light tarp and mat for possible camping on the Frances, because I saw so many good spots the previous year on the Le Puy route. However, the Frances was really not suitable.

I encountered a lady in Cahors who was a dedicated hammocker. She was a young Frenchwoman who was an ultra-fit extreme-sporter - and a smoker. She liked to hammock without any cover, and was quite surprised when I told her of hammock tents. What can I say...the lady was French!

While I was there, her sister rang to announce she had won a lottery - and not for the first time. I suggested that her sister might want to make her a gift of a hammock tent, to keep the luck going.

But who knows what the French will say or do next?

Yes these hammocks are wonderful, maybe a bit heavy, have you weighed everything,

My left knee cannot stress enough, how saving weight is such a good payback :mrgreen:

Photos of your camino would be great too :) , It snowed in April this year , hope you are blessed with no snow next year(otherwise you may end up looking like a horizontal snowman some mornings :lol: ).....
Buen Camino
David

whilst unsure about the practicalities of a hammock, I do endorse entirely tarps and hootchie style sleeping arrangements.
I carry a tarp whilst cycle touring and would most definately use one whilst walking - they combine brilliantly with poles to establish a height adjustable cover.
It is a great way to sleep in dry weather. Also ideal for cooking under if having a break along the way in poor weather. Very light weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back