• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would it be worth it to photograph the whole Camino Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
Hi, My name is Todd and I am known as Tman in the hiking community.

I have hiked the whole Ice Age National Scenic Trail over several years
and I have photographed the whole 1100 mile trail. I photographed it
at a rate of about 15 photos per mile. That's about 16000 photos.
They are located on my website at www.tmanshikes.com.
Click on photo galleries, then Ice Age Trail.
I also have photographed the entire 800 miles of the
North Country Trail in Minnesota. The photos are at the same
location.

Then, about 4 years ago my sister won a go pro as a prize at work.
She didn't use it and eventually gave it to me. So, over the last three
years I have been doing more videos of the trails instead of photo galleries.
For instance, earlier this year I hiked the route of the North Country Trail
in Southern Michigan, and I did videos showing the route.
They are also shown on my website. The videos are pretty boring
unless you are going to be actually hiking the trail. And they do
a good job of showing the route, for instance, I show every place
the route turns a corner, etc.

Anyway, I'm planning on hiking the Camino Frances next September
and I am wondering if I should go back to photographing the route.
I am not aware that anyone has photographed the whole route. Well, at
least I can't find anything like what I do. I do a very detailed look at the route
and I take a photo of anything that someone might find interesting. I am
showing the route exactly like it is and not being artsy. It's more of a quantity
over quality situation.

At any rate, if I do decide to photograph the entire route, that would potentially
change the way I would hike. For instance, some pilgrims set out in the morning
in the dark. I would have to wait until it is light enough to take photos. I don't expect
it to change to much the gear I take. I would just need to take lots of camera cards
and make sure batteries are charged every night. I would probably need to take
some sort of tablet or Ipad so I can upload stuff to my internet drive.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Todd, and welcome!
I only have one question.
Why?

No seriously, I'm not being flip or critical. There are gazillion videos and photo galleries out there of the Francés already. So here's a chance and challenge:
Just walk.
And see what happens.

At first you'll be thinking of the photos you could be taking, going along framing the view in your mind's eye. But eventually you'll land into the vivid mysterious now of the camino and you'll just feel relief. It's not like any other walk.

Buen camino however you go!

Last edited:
If your interest in photography/photographing the CF is what drives you to go, do it regardless of whether some think it’s a good idea.

You’ll enjoy the Camino and, afterward, have something you’ll both cherish (the experience) and have to offer anyone who is interested in having your creation to help guide them on their walk

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are going to spend all your time on the camino filming it, you are going to miss out on a lot of wonderful things that might otherwise have happened to you, including meeting some wonderful and unusual people. Your camino is your camino. If anyone else wants to know what the camino looks like, they can walk it themselves. And I say this as someone who takes a lot of photos.

location.

least I can't find anything like what I do. I do a very detailed look at the route
showing the route exactly like it is and not being artsy. It's more of a quantity
over quality situation.

At any rate, if I do decide to photograph the entire route, that would potentially
in the dark. I would have to wait until it is light enough to take photos. I don't expect
it to change to much the gear I take. I would just need to take lots of camera cards

There are a heap of photos out there, across three Caminos I have 1000's of my own, I have dozens of photos just of storks for instance (I was obsessed by them). And of poppies.
I think many of us have a lot of photos - and I enjoy seeing the photos on this site. Its cool seeing places that I've been to in a different light - snow for instance, or night shots.

If you really love doing that go ahead, its always nice to go back over your photos. Especially in a Pandemic when you cant actually be there.
One thing to remember though is that no-one needs photos to find their way on the CF. There are yellow arrows everywhere.

Welcome to the forum Todd! While I haven't photographed my walks in the same way as you have, I've taken thousands of photos over several caminos now and to me it's a personal joy and definitely worth it as an art form and as remembrance.
I think you know the answer to your question. Looking at your website I would say that to you, it's very much worth it as an important part of an ongoing personal journey documenting (visual and written) your remarkable hiking trips.
I will say though that you may find the camino to be a very different journey, especially if you are walking alone and it might unfold in a way that surprises you. I hope you'll post during or after your camino! I'll be very curious to hear how it evolved for you! Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
John Sikora and B.K. Lee are two among many who have done complete, step-by-step videos of the Camino Francis. John's is edited with Hyperlapse at 5x normal walking speed. B.K. Lee's is actual walking speed.

As for doing an entire photo-series, I wouldn't pretend to be able to offer any insight as to whether you should. It has always been important for me to be able to sear experiences, like walking a pilgrimage on a Camino route, into my memory. To be able to look at a video or photo and have it trigger the captured memory.

Being constantly focused on taking pictures would get in my ability to do that. In fact, if I did such a thing and looked at those pictures later, I would probably have a poor memory of being at the place where the photos were taken. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's been done. I've seen lots of detailed videos and even saw people along the way, videotaping their walk. Like some others have said, I'm afraid it would dilute a lot of the experience and impact of walking the Camino for you. We have plenty of records and documentation. But every individual experience is unique.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have to agree with the opinion: The camino is very well documented in writing, photography and video. Not that much need to add, but then there is always a chance that it might be interesting.

For myself, when looking at the photos i did with my smartphone, i sometimes wish i had take a couple more. Nothing like a documentary, but for me, they do bring back fond memories and for some days i sadly have very little or no pictures. But theres worse than that i guess.

I can’t for the life of me work out why you would want to do that Todd.
Why not just walk it and enjoy it?
Forgive me for saying so but if I had you in front of me doing that I’d stop, fall back a day or two, and set off again so that I’d have a good distance between you and me. Not my idea of a Camino pilgrimage, not at all.
But, I realise and accept that we all have our reasons for doing the Camino.
C’est la vie.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Todd, and welcome to the forum!

As you can see, your post has elicited some strong reactions. We are generally a nice, supportive bunch, but there are a few third rails that will trigger strong opinions that get close to rudeness and I guess you hit on one.

Forum members, even though this may not be your thing, I think that a nicer welcome to a new member, who is probably not as immersed as we are in the “magic of the camino,” would be to reserve some of the strong judgment. Saying that you would wait a day to leave a distance between you and him, but then saying “but of course we all have our reasons” is trying to put a veneer of kindness on top of a very mean remark.

Todd, welcome. What the Camino taught me is to accept, on the Camino and in life that everyone marches to their own drummer. We encountered peregrinos on such a different wavelength than ours that it was very irritating. Until during a meal one evening, someone stated "Hey! Its their Camino" That changed my outlook on judging peoples' actions. So, do it for your own reasons. If you do ask questions or seek validation however, expect a myriad of responses. To your question, I would say you certainly would not be the first to extensively photograph the Camino. A peregrino we met in 2016 was on his second trek, 27 lbs of camera gear, everything else sent ahead each day. He had taken 4500 photos in 2015, his 2016 was to take specific spots he had missed out on but noted for followup. In 2018 he returned with a specific view of adding early morning and night shots to his portfolio. Point is, if you are doing this just to be the first to extensively photograph it, don't. That train left the station ages ago.

If you are doing it for you, then do it. If you’re thinking it would be a service to others, it probably won’t be so don’t IMO. With a go pro I don’t think you’d be missing out on the experience of walking —not like you’re framing a shot or deciding on lighting. Personally I never walked before dawn—so that’s not a loss if you don’t either. People walking in the dark miss seeing the countryside. Most people take pictures and enjoy looking at them afterwards so if you will want to watch your video later then go for it. My only issue, and it’s a personal one, is by filming it all you will be getting a lot of people in film that might not want to be—and in some cases it might even be dangerous to them. I never took pictures of people without their permission, and can count on one hand the number of times I did that in 90 days on Camino. How will you get permission, or will you edit people out or turn off your camera?
Buen camino

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Todd, and welcome to the forum!

As you can see, your post has elicited some strong reactions. We are generally a nice, supportive bunch, but there are a few third rails that will trigger strong opinions that get close to rudeness and I guess you hit on one.

Forum members, even though this may not be your thing, I think that a nicer welcome to a new member, who is probably not as immersed as we are in the “magic of the camino,” would be to reserve some of the strong judgment. Saying that you would wait a day to leave a distance between you and him, but then saying “but of course we all have our reasons” is trying to put a veneer of kindness on top of a very mean remark.
Personally I see it as an honest remark. Not everyone wants to be photographed or be around people filming 24/7. Some walking at the same time as the OP will likely feel that way so he might want to know that before doing it. I walked early so I didn’t have to listen to the people who think everyone wants to hear them singing or blasting music. I altered stopping points and sleeping arrangements, or walked doubles to avoid Camino Romeos. I would do my best to either outwalk or drop behind someone filming because I don’t want to be on someone’s webpage.

Anyone can photograph or film in a public place. They do not need permission, so if anyone has a problem with being filmed then I would suggest they avoid the circumstances which will be very difficult as we live in a time of cctv surveillance. Try dodging all those cameras.
Todd, if you want to film or photograph your camino, go ahead, nothing to stop you. Enjoy.

Hi, Todd, and welcome!
Why?

No seriously, I'm not being flip or critical. There are gazillion videos and photo galleries out there of the Francés already. So here's a chance and challenge:
Just walk.
And see what happens.

At first you'll be thinking of the photos you could be taking, going along framing the view in your mind's eye. But eventually you'll land into the vivid mysterious now of the camino and you'll just feel relief. It's not like any other walk.

Why, so people can see the camino from end to end. Yes, there are lots of photos out there, but do any of them show the actual route in chronological order? I guess what I am asking for is to have people send me the links to these photo galleries

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not everyone wants to be photographed or be around people filming 24/7.
Well, I'm not actually photographing people, I am photographing the route. Did anyone actually go look at how I photographed the IAT? Pretty much the only people I photographed were people I was hiking with or people that I asked. I know that the camino has more people, but that doesn't mean people will actually recognize someone.

anyone has a problem with being filmed then I would suggest they avoid the circumstance
I believe that’s what some of us said—it’s not being mean to say we’d get ahead of or behind that activity—it’s a statement of fact. CCTV footage isn’t generally posted on someone’s website where others will be repeatedly referred. People are free to film and photograph others, but imho don’t publish photos that clearly show faces without asking. Something lost on the social media generation. On re-reading the OP won’t be using his video, so it would be easier for him to avoid taking pictures of others who don’t want to be photographed. I’m not interested enough in others photos to go to websites to view them but that’s me. If the question is “would we be excited to see his photos of the Camino on his website” the answer is probably no. If he wants to take them for his own enjoyment go for it. People who don’t want to end up on his website may very well avoid him.

Hi, Todd, and welcome!
Why?

Just walk.
And see what happens.

Smell the roses

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
CCTV footage isn’t generally posted on someone’s website where others will be repeatedly referred.
Wrong, social media is awash with cctv footage.
The point I was making is that I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with someone taking photos that they might be in unless they are on the 10 most wanted list or in witness protection, I find it a bit paranoid tbh.

do any of them show the actual route in chronological order? I guess what I am asking for is to have people send me the links to these photo galleries
Not photos but videos. A pilgrim named BK Lee recorded his walk from SJPP to Finisterre-Muxia. 34 videos, many of them 5-6 hours long. See link below. My memory is hazy but I think there is a forum member who did the same.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRj1BI6Cyk4HSezaGGfgTQ/videos

BK Lee video series.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The point I was making is that I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with someone taking photos that they might be in unless they are on the 10 most wanted list or in witness protection, I find it a bit paranoid tbh.
Battered wives, and trafficked women and children tend to be paranoid. Undocumented people also. I try to not be judgmental tbh—no one needs to explain to anyone why they don’t want to be photographed or end up on someone’s vanity page.

Anyone can photograph or film in a public place. They do not need permission

Actually, in many countries there are restrictions regarding filming and taking photos. At least where I live, as soon as you're filming people, you need to ask for their permission (taking someone's photo without their consent is illegal here). Not sure about the exact rules for Spain, it might be different there.

I don't mind people filming as long as they respect other people's boundaries and do it in a respectful way. If someone doesn't want to be in your photo/video, for whatever reason, respect that. Ask before you film people / take photos. It just takes a second.

For remote wilderness hikes with bad waymarking I can totally see the benefit of a detailed photo or video documentation. You can check difficult sections before and be prepared. When I plan walks that require roadwalking, I sometimes check the roads before by walking them virtually on google maps, to make sure it will be safe, and to see where exactly to turn off into another road ect.

Of course it's also nice to have full virtual walks for those who would like to walk but can't.

Regarding the Camino, it would probably make more sense to have something like that for the lesser walked routes and variants, instead of video #10000000 of the standard Frances. I'd totally watch a detailed full walk of the Dragonte! Maybe then I'd dare to walk it one day!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

location.

over quality situation.

I would say, don't bother...unless you are doing it as a personal record of your trip. Much of the scenery along the Camino is pretty much the same and, quite frankly, rather monotonous. Besides, Google has already done it:

@

location.

over quality situation.

Hi Todd, welcome to the forum. Apart from the 1000s of photos that have been taken by members of the forum, this has actually been done before. If you follow the Camino Francés in www.walking4fun you can follow the entire trail by photos, roughly 3 per mile. Don't let that stop you, you're bound to have some different shots. If pilgrims don't want to have the surprise of discovery taken from them, then they don't need to look at your photos until afterwards. I do think that photographs would be preferable to a video. Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I'm not actually photographing people, I am photographing the route. Did anyone actually go look at how I photographed the IAT? Pretty much the only people I photographed were people I was hiking with or people that I asked. I know that the camino has more people, but that doesn't mean people will actually recognize someone.
Hi @isawtman. I looked at your websites. Came away a bit puzzled. Some quite interesting well framed photos and a lot of pictures of tree, trails and rocks devoid of narrative or context. I guess if I was walking those trail segments carrying an electronic device loaded with your pictures I could gain some context but still no narrative. I can't see that they would be a navigational aid for instance.

As others have said you are at liberty to follow your proposal but whether it would be "worth it" will depend on what you think the effort might produce.

You've said your aware that there will be more people on the Camino Frances than you encounter on the IAT. There will, a lot more - a hundredfold increase maybe greater. There's been discussion on this thread on the laws in Spain regarding "street photography": this may assist https://law.photography/law/street-photography-laws-in-spain it contains link to the specific laws involved.

@wayfarer I don't think that I have ever disagreed with you before but have strong feelings about the use of photographs online. Long time ago my eyes were opened to the shortcomings of the 'one size fits all' assumption when reading about nativity plays on Mumsnet for a project I was working on and although familiar with the contemporary trend to video record such children's performances, I hadn't realised that some mothers were very afraid of their children being identified through the uploading of the pictures on the internet. This was, as they teachers and social workers explained, because it might provide information which could lead to estranged and abusive partners identifying the family's present location. Some peregrinas on this forum (perhaps also peregrinos) have been on the receiving end of criminal stalking behaviour online and in person resulting in court orders for the perpetrator to desist. As a result, not through paranoia but based on personal experience, some of us choose very seriously not to have our images uploaded on to any website. Permission to reproduce images might be legal but to do so without the person's permission in the present climate of increasing violence against women (in particular) is not without its dangers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

True.
But it brings me to my general question I have ( and I believe I already had some private conversations with moderators about this subject ) regarding the posting of pictures of people on a general forum when they did not give explicite permission to do so?
I only ask this because of the GDPR rules in Europe that , frankly, are still very confusing to me.

Again, not in any way a criticism to the OP of this particular thread! If anything, it is a good start to have this type of discussion ( provided that everyone here keeps it civil and nice ).

When I see on a Camino ( or in daily life ) that I am in a " general " picture someone is taking then I politely ask to wait till I am out of sight and would they please redo that one. Always get a positive response.

Why, so people can see the camino from end to end. Yes, there are lots of photos out there, but do any of them show the actual route in chronological order? I guess what I am asking for is to have people send me the links to these photo galleries
I think It would make a wonderful document. Maybe more valuable in a hundred years to historians. I think the Camino can be a vehicle and inspiration for many things, including art and document making.

I did look at your website, and I thought that amount of documentation was hard to absorb. As some have mentioned, others have done similar video projects, which I also found not that compelling. But perhaps not for other viewers....

The chronological order is the interesting part of your project, but usually I believe what makes images interesting are the curation. Maybe break it down into the stages when you post them.

I have planned a sketching Camino where I thoroughly document my journey in paint and pen and ink, but I decided to do two separate Caminos instead. The first a "pure" walking pilgrimage for the spiritual and social aspects of the Camino, and the second, (perhaps vehicle assisted) period spent painting the same route. Unfortunately Covid threw a wrench in my plans. I hope to do this next year.

But I think if you're just clipping a go pro to your body, you should get both in one go.

Last edited:
True.
But it brings me to my general question I have ( and I believe I already had some private conversations with moderators about this subject ) regarding the posting of pictures of people on a general forum when they did not give explicite permission to do so?
I only ask this because of the GDPR rules in Europe that , frankly, are still very confusing to me.

Again, not in any way a criticism to the OP of this particular thread! If anything, it is a good start to have this type of discussion ( provided that everyone here keeps it civil and nice ).

When I see on a Camino ( or in daily life ) that I am in a " general " picture someone is taking then I politely ask to wait till I am out of sight and would they please redo that one. Always get a positive response.
I don't know about Europe, but in the US from a legal standpoint, anybody can take a casual photo of anybody in public with no restrictions. Can you imagine the enforcement nightmare if it wasn't so?
One does control one's likeness for commercial purposes, though. I would imagine it's the same everywhere.

Obviously if someone asks you not to photograph them, almost everybody would happily oblige.

I don't know about Europe, but in the US from a legal standpoint, anybody can take a casual photo of anybody in public with no restrictions. Can you imagine the enforcement nightmare if it wasn't so?
One does control one's likeness for commercial purposes, though. I would imagine it's the same everywhere.

Obviously if someone asks you not to photograph them, almost everybody would happily oblige.

This week I have a meeting at work regarding GDPR ( mailings , clean desk issues etc ) and I hope one of the " specialists " can shine some light regarding casual photos etc.
In the European GDPR legislation there is a part that states " the right to be forgotten online "...Again...have to study it lots more!

Last edited:
This week I have a meeting at work regarding GDPR ( mailings , clean desk issues etc ) and I hope one of the " specialists " can shine some light regarding casaul photos etc.
In the European GDPR legslation there is a part that states " the right to be forgotten online "...Again...have to study it lots more!
Europe is ahead of the US in this regard although we are catching up…As for permission—ask first, which is easier with camera than Go Pro. If filming, expect some people to avoid you. There’s just no reason to post a picture of someone’s face without permission. None. Wait until they are out of the scene. As I’ve said, there are many reasons regarding safety that are none of anyone’s business, period. there have been cases where women’s faces were photoshopped into porn. Stalkers. Abusive ex’s. Or they just don’t want their picture taken. All of these are reasons to ask first. Or better yet, wait until they are out of the frame.

Here's the site

@

Hi Todd, welcome to the forum. Apart from the 1000s of photos that have been taken by members of the forum, this has actually been done before. If you follow the Camino Francés in www.walking4fun you can follow the entire trail by photos, roughly 3 per mile. Don't let that stop you, you're bound to have some different shots. If pilgrims don't want to have the surprise of discovery taken from them, then they don't need to look at your photos until afterwards. I do think that photographs would be preferable to a video. Good luck.
I don't find that option there. I even created an account? What did I miss? A direct link?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

location.

over quality situation.

I walk frequently in the English Lake District. Last year on top of what we fondly refer to as ‘mountains’ here (Circa 2800 feet in this case), I was just taking a moment and feeling the effort, when over the rise strides a chap carrying a WWll HF radio set; weighing 56 pounds at least. His personal challenge was to contact other like-minded masochists on other similar hills every Saturday.

If you can be bothered - get on with it.

Hi Todd, I walked the Camino Frances in 2015 and took 12000 photos and a few hours of video. I did not use a gopro but a point and shoot camera (something that would fit in my pocket but still took decent photos). I think choosing my photos rather than filming everything was better for me, but you are you. The video I captured was me recording a journal. It sounds like you enjoy what the gopro does for you, so why not use it? When I got home I put together what I had captured into a series of 12 videos and very much enjoy re-watching them. I also enjoy sharing them. My wife who did not walk with me said she almost felt like she was there. Perhaps your work would help others to catch the Camino fever as well. Whatever choice you make it will no doubt be the right one. If you are interested in seeing my videos you can find them on YouTube at the link below, along with some other photographic work I have done. The Camino videos are labeled by chapter numbers. For what it is worth, chapter 8 is the one most folks seem to like the best. It captured my emotional experience at Cruz de Ferro, something I am not sure a gopro could do (but I really don't know that). BTW I walked the Camino Portuguese in 2019 and took 17000 photos and over 5 hours of video. I am working (very slowly) on turning that all into a video as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTRlZoyX53Fdkz996kkzQqQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Attachments

• PA170561_InPixio2.jpg
    PA170561_InPixio2.jpg
    12 MB · Views: 7
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I find holier than thou comments such as the one above the dullest of the lot.

If you ask a question you have to be prepared for an answer. I gave an honest response. Can’t handle that? Upsets your little world?
Different people have different opinions. I’m not going to veneer this one for you.

I think its more than time to lock this thread.
Apologies to the OP.
Thanks for letting me have the last word.

I have decided that it is not worth photographing the whole camino
mainly because other people have already filmed all of it.

Like I mentioned in my beginning post, I have photographed the
whole Ice Age National Scenic Trail (1100 miles) and the part of the
North Country Trail in Minnesota (800 miles) And, I am the only one
that has those trails photographed to that extent.

To me, taking photos of the trail is not a hindrance or interferes with
me hiking the trail, or interacting with other people. I simply have
a point and shoot camera hanging from a lanyard and every so often
I take a photo.

I had not run across John Sikora's work before I did the original post.
If I did, I would not have posted. From what I am seeing in the couple
videos I've watched of his, he covers the Camino really well. Don't
know exactly how he does it. He must have several camera cards
and extra battery power

I am going to do some sort of project while hiking the Camino.
I just don't know what it is yet. I did do a film recounting some Ice Age Trail
stories. Just go to youtube and search for "Tman's Ice Age Trail Hikes."

Don't think I'm going to do a film for the Camino.

Buen Camino, Todd

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back