• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would love a bit of advice on my route plan :)

rowena.bellamy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hi dear friends.
I am sure this question or similar have been asked a thousand times before, but I would welcome some input as I'm wrangling between two options for my Camino beginning in September.

My plan is to start on the 16 / 17th of September, aiming to walk into Santiago on my 38th birthday (whoo) on the 24th of October. I plan to do a slow itinerary, averaging 12.4 miles per day. I am using this as my guide -
https://www.caminoguidebook.com/plan/fast-and-slow-itineraries which looks lovely and sensible to me.

The thing I cannot decide, is whether to start in Pamplona which I feel doesn't give me a huge amount of rest / mooching around days (3) or contingency days (but is easier to get to... and where I think I would ideally like to start), or from Logrono, which would give me plenty of rest / contingency / chill days (7 - 8 I think) but I'm worried it might be a bit "too" slow.

I'm reasonably fit and walk 10 miles regularly with minimal breaks, but I do have some hip problems which don't love hard ground, and I don't really want to have to end up sacrificing my end point should I have sore legs or an upset stomach. I'm erring towards Pamplona as it just feels right, but... any thoughts welcome!

I know everyone must ask for similar advice, but there is a vinto tinto and a Camino hug for anyone who offers any help :)
Much love,

Rowena

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, welcome, and all the best for your camino. Your maths is good, you will need 38 days at 20km per day. You could start, as you are tempted to, in Pamplona, and just see how you go. Maybe you will find you can up your daily average, and save your rest days till nearer the end...
once you have done two or three days, you will know. Maybe it will help to know that in the morning, all the pain is gone again! fresh as a daisy, you will be skipping out the door...

Go for Pamplona and, if you are worried about the hip problems get your backpack transported forward every few days to give yourself an easy day.. you are allowing your self plenty of time.
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To me, the BEST Camino is the one you do without planning, leaving yourself open to adventures on the way. Of course, I can't do that with my groups, but when I walk alone, I start with a schedule, but soon cast it aside and free myself up for whichever way the wind blows me.

This is not advice but consider starting in Logrono so you walk all the way to Santiago with new found friends (the slow ones at least). When you make it you will know your pace and capabilities. Then, if you have time, go back for the Pamplona to Logrono section.

Here is a great planning site
https://godesalco.com/plan/frances

I would plan and start in Pamplona--easy access and avoids the grueling walk over the Pyrenees SJPdP to Roncesvalles. You can get a cab from Pamplona to Roncevalles which is also a nice start.

I would take short days or rest days as my body demanded (ie: you can plan, but DO NOT stick to it)--and not hesitate to use a pack service or taxi. And, as wonderful as Camino 'families' are, I would let the demands of my body trump any desire to stick with a 'family'
Just my suggestions, YMMV
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
10-15k a day? Perfect! This will give you time to enjoy the scenery, to meet pilgrims in the cafe/bar, to take photographs, to appreciate the incredible art and architecture all along the Camino, to enjoy your dinner without thinking only of your bed. Along the way, you will encounter pilgrims doing 25-30-35k a day, something like the White Rabbit in Alice, "No time no time". One recommendation, take along
"The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson- a village by town by hamlet description of all you will meet history art churches etc. A quick read every evening to prepare for tomorrow. available as Kindle here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312254164/?tag=casaivar02-20
My hardcopy has been to Santiago three times, a hefty sized book not recommended to be carried by the faint of heart.

I'm in the start in Pamplona group. From Logrono, there's probably not 7 or 8 towns that you'll want to stop in, and you'll bypass the Alto de Perdon which is one of the iconic sights. You'll probably find that you can get by with 2 or 3 rest days. You might even find after a few days that you're upping your mileage as well. To be safe, consider Sarria the "Point of no Return" - The Goal is to get there with six days remaining. If you start in Pamplona and you're not on track to get there with 6 days left, take the bus ahead to the next town. You don't want to do that after Sarria if you plan to get a compostella.

Buen Camino!

I'd go for Pamplona, started from there twice myself. As @kirkie says it takes about 3 days to get into the rhythm of things and you might not want those three days to be spent crossing the Pyrenees.

Pamplona is a good place to start, you can pick up any "last minute" purchases from Caminoteca and you'll get to see the world renowned steel sculpture when you crest the Sierra del Perdon which you'll miss out on if you start at Logroño.

If you find yourself falling behind you can "jump" forward on the Meseta - the weather at the time you'll be crossing it can be rather "challenging".

Have a great Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi dear friends.
I am sure this question or similar have been asked a thousand times before, but I would welcome some input as I'm wrangling between two options for my Camino beginning in September.

My plan is to start on the 16 / 17th of September, aiming to walk into Santiago on my 38th birthday (whoo) on the 24th of October. I plan to do a slow itinerary, averaging 12.4 miles per day. I am using this as my guide -
https://www.caminoguidebook.com/plan/fast-and-slow-itineraries which looks lovely and sensible to me.

The thing I cannot decide, is whether to start in Pamplona which I feel doesn't give me a huge amount of rest / mooching around days (3) or contingency days (but is easier to get to... and where I think I would ideally like to start), or from Logrono, which would give me plenty of rest / contingency / chill days (7 - 8 I think) but I'm worried it might be a bit "too" slow.

I'm reasonably fit and walk 10 miles regularly with minimal breaks, but I do have some hip problems which don't love hard ground, and I don't really want to have to end up sacrificing my end point should I have sore legs or an upset stomach. I'm erring towards Pamplona as it just feels right, but... any thoughts welcome!

I know everyone must ask for similar advice, but there is a vinto tinto and a Camino hug for anyone who offers any help :)
Much love,

Rowena
I'm in Los Arcos right now. I spent a couple days in Pamplona and absolutely loved it. At first I felt like I was wasting time instead of walking, but I have zero regrets. The city is beautiful, easy to navigate, and the locals are friendly. I was sad to leave!

Hi dear friends.

Much love,

Rowena
My general advice is to give yourself more time than you think you might need. So my advice would be to start from Logroño in this case and not worry about it being "too" slow. It isn't too hard to get toLogroño. If you arrive in Santiago with those extra four days still in the bag and you feel there is still some good walking left in you, you can always walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia. Or, there is plenty to see when you are over there with any leftover days. You can come back some other year and walk from Pamplona. I never want to find myself racing to Santiago.

That said, 3 rest/contingency days does still give you some wiggle room, especially if you are not pushing yourself too hard and only averaging about 20 km a day. So, if Pamplona is your ideal start you aren't taking too much risk starting there. And that would allow you to experience the delightful places between Pamplona and Logroño.

I’m not sure you intended to have a vote on this, or not.

With the information you’ve given I’d start in Logrono. It gives you the better chance of a full ‘on foot’ journey.

If, by the grace of God, you get to Santiago with a day or two to spare I’m certain you’ll find things to do.

Back in the day, your pilgrimage started from your own doorstep. There’s nothing magical about St Jean, Pamplona, Logrono or anywhere else.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi dear friends.

Much love,

Rowena
Hi dear friends.

Much love,

Rowena
we planned for some free days -injury days but found that we enjoyed walking with our Camino family bubble. Stopping for a day here and there along the way would have meant splitting up with them. You’ll need to figure this out as you go. Also, we found that once we started walking, we just wanted to walk daily and not lose our rhythm. In the end our plan B was to go to Portugal and enjoy the beach with our additional days.

Hi dear friends.

Much love,

Rowena
Not that I am looking for the tinto... but how did it go, Rowena?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back