• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would love some feedback on my planned route!

AllisonNFLD

Time of past OR future Camino
October 8-15, 2016 (St. Jean to Los Arcos)
Hello wonderful, helpful forum members. I posted not too long about asking for advice about the best way to complete the final leg of the Camino, as my Dad and I will be returning to the road this year for the final portion. The original thread is here if anyone is interested.

I've finally mapped out our route (with almost no time to spare). If any knowledgable pilgrims have suggestions to improve this route or recommendations about how we should spend our days following the Camino, I would love to hear them! Part of me is wondering if we shouldn't just walk for a little longer, since we have so much free time baked in at the end here. Or is it better to go explore the region? All suggestions welcome and thank you!

Sept 28 -- Arrive in Spain. Take shuttle to O'Cebrerio. Overnight there.

Sept 29 - Walk to Triacastela - 22km

Sept 30 - Walk to Sarria - 18km

Oct 1 - Walk to Portomarin - 24 km

Oct 2 - Walk to Palas de Rei - 24km

Oct 3 - Walk to Arzua - 28km

Oct 4 - Walk to Rua - 19km

Oct 5 - Walk to Santiago de Compostela - 18km

Oct 6 - Spend morning in Santiago and get rental car. Drive to coast to Airbnb

Oct 7-9 - Explore days!

Oct 10 - Fly out of Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will also add that I am torn about whether to head north or south following the Camino. Last year we went to Barcelona and it was a mistake - we were not ready for a big city following our peaceful walk. Would love to go somewhere close to good food and culture but also peaceful. Very much appreciate any recommendations!

Hi, Allison,
You know your pace better than we - but this looks fine to me. One thing you might consider is to stay at intermediate locations besides the towns that have become the 'usual' stops. They'll be much less crowded.
So after Triacastella there is El Beso Albergue in A Balsa, after Sarria there's Casa Barbadello and several other albergues in Vilei...and so on.
As far as after is concerned, I just stay in Santiago for a few days. Cities are not my favorite thing, but Santiago is special. If you want to explore off the beaten track there is always San Andreas de Teixido on the North coast. It is...different.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi @AllisonNFLD
Looks like a great plan.
Can you tell me how to get a shuttle to O'Cebrerio?
Thanks
Heda

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want to explore off the beaten track there is always San Andreas de Teixido on the North coast. It is...different.

I never heard of this place, so I looked it up. Looks like it is worth a visit. Is it very touristy?

My other question is whether there is a place in Santiago where I can rent a motorcycle for a day or two. Might be fun to ride up there.

Oooo! Edit: I just found this BMW motorcycle rental place. I may even be able to ride from Santiago to Barcelona (for my flight home) one way. Yee! http://www.imtbike.com/motorcycle-rentals/locations/

Last edited:
Hello wonderful, helpful forum members. I posted not too long about asking for advice about the best way to complete the final leg of the Camino, as my Dad and I will be returning to the road this year for the final portion. The original thread is here if anyone is interested.

I've finally mapped out our route (with almost no time to spare). If any knowledgable pilgrims have suggestions to improve this route or recommendations about how we should spend our days following the Camino, I would love to hear them! Part of me is wondering if we shouldn't just walk for a little longer, since we have so much free time baked in at the end here. Or is it better to go explore the region? All suggestions welcome and thank you!

Oct 7-9 - Explore days!

My primary feeling is that you should spend at least one full day in Santiago. It truly completed my Camino and is such a special place to take in...apart from the usual I would recommend visiting the abastos market in the morning. You could drive to explore southern Galicia, Pontevedra is special, a kind of mini santiago but less touristy, Baiona by the sea is lovely and I understand that a ferry trip out to the lslas de Cies is a beautiful day out. if you are adventurous Portugal is very laid back...and charming towns like Caminha and Viana are within reach by car.

Oct 7-9 - Explore days!

Looks good, these are the stages that i usually do too; just two comments

- Are you really able to arrive to spain and make it up to o cebreiro that same day?
- with a car and three days you could easily make it to finisterre, muxia and even as far south as tui on the portuguese camino - the toll highways across galicia are ugly but convenient

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Oct 7-9 - Explore days!

Hi Allison , I have one suggestion , why not take the d-tour from Triacastela to the Monestary of Samos.
You can do a guided tour in the Monestary,it's worth it .

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Hi @AllisonNFLD
Looks like a great plan.
Can you tell me how to get a shuttle to O'Cebrerio?
Thanks
Heda
I'm not sure yet but I expect that where there is money, there is a way ;) Hoping for a bus or shuttle, but guessing we may have to pay for a car?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks good, these are the stages that i usually do too; just two comments

- Are you really able to arrive to spain and make it up to o cebreiro that same day?
- with a car and three days you could easily make it to finisterre, muxia and even as far south as tui on the portuguese camino - the toll highways across galicia are ugly but convenient
I am hoping so! We arrive very early in the morning. Thanks for your tips and suggestions!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back