• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would you like to 'Carrix' a day (or more) of the Camino.. to help me out?

Time of past OR future Camino
September - November 2013, Pamplona to Muxia (& beyond!)
Thanks to some very generous pilgrim-supporting folks, I've been offered the use of a CARRIX (www.carrix.ch) for my Camino.. which I'm planning to start walking from Pamplona on September 18th or 19th.. yes, next week!
I'd really prefer to have the Carrix with my stuff on the path rather than relying on taxis and reserving a room at a private albergue each day. However, I can't personally attach myself to this wonderful trekking invention because I'm unable to carry more than approx. 1/1.5 kg. (due to injuries & pain from an accident).
So I'm looking for fellow slow-paced pilgrims to join me for one day or more: Won't some of you please join the chain of Carrix Carriers? I'd be so GRATEFUL!!
Call me loco, but... I believe that if I can find at least 1-2 people to get me/us started from Pamplona, then I'll have faith that the rest will unfold, with Carrix-carrying-angels manifesting each day.
What's in it for you? Think of it as a break from strapping it to your back, instead tying yours and mine on to the Carrix for a hands-free (mostly) walk on the path!
Oh, and I'll be happy to treat you to a cafe con leche (or English lesson) en route too ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the thought/offer! Glad to see you here on the forum... keep up the faith, your bucket list and the planning... I'm sure you will make it happen!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just read your blog(s), very nice indeed! While on Camino this past April and May, I met a fellow named Massimo from Italy who had a Carrix. I would like to tell you he was thrilled with it, but that would not be honest. In mountainous areas, the FRAME had a tendency to break. I helped him repair it a couple of times using duck tape and nylon zip ties. On uphill climbs he was not able to keep the same pace as the backpackers. On flat portions it was fine and he could walk faster than others. But there is always another "UP" on the Camino! ;)

On the other hand, if you MUST use a cart of some kind, the "Wheelie" from Radical Designs in the Netherlands appeared to me, based on direct observation and discussion, to be a better alternative. You can see it here: https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/products/walking-trailers/wheelie/wheelie-iv-trekking

I encountered a fellow from Germany with one. It had a bright yellow nylon cover. It was so amazing that I asked him to try it. It feels like pulling or pushing a shopping trolley. The larger wheels translate to a lighter weight at the tongue. The "tongue" is / are the poles you hold or attach to the harness. The principle is the same for a boat trailer or pop-up camping trailer. The design of the trailer affects the amount or weight at the automobile bumper or trailer hitch. In this case, 'you" are the automobile.

However, I must admit that the "felt weight" at the poles or waist seemed to me to be about 4-5 kg. I believe this is presently still more than you can handle. :( But for a able-bodied person it is an option for carrying heavier loads - and some pilgrims must carry heavier leads.

I saw at least four people lugging CPAP devices (for night time sleep apnea) in their rucksacks. There were plenty of Type I diabetics carrying small cooler boxes containing ice. I personally have to supplement my daily diet with powdered protein. So I had an additional 3.5 Kg in my rucksack when I started. One does what they have to do.

All of this stated, my considered recommendation for you is to use the mochila / backpack / suitcase to move a standard rolling suitcase from lodging to lodging. You can make arrangements at your first night's lodging once you arrive at your starting point.

All the hotels / hostals / and most of the albuergues are aware of this service and usually have flyers for them. The leading one seems to be a firm called Jacotrans. Their web site is at: http://www.jacotrans.com/ It is available in English and French, as well as Spanish. The cost each night is from Euro 3 - 7 per hop if I remember correctly.

I observed this process nightly at the hostals I stayed in. It is very well run and safe to use. Basically, you leave your locked suitcase with ID tag and itinerary tag (where you will be that night) at the front desk of the place you just slept in. You depart for the day's walk. The service comes by, picks up the bag in a car or van and transports it down the road to your next stop. When you arrive mid-afternoon, the bag is waiting at the front desk.

All you need to carry during the day, in addition to what you are wearing, can fit in an ultralight siliconized nylon day pack. See this: http://www.rei.com/product/799600/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-packable-daypack The pack weighs 2.4 OUNCES. It collapses into it's own pouch, about the size of a tennis ball..

I have one that I use for shopping, laundry, snacks, etc. I hang it from the front harness of my rucksack. But is also works great as a separate purse or day bag. On the way over, check your rolling bag and use the day pack as your carry-on tote. It holds 20 liters.

All you need in the day bag is rain gear, snacks, water and perhaps a small first air kit. I am sure the total weight would be less that 2 kg. I assume that you will be wearing a hat, outer wear, and will have your valuables and electronics, etc in belt pouches or pockets. The day bag is large enough for a fleece jacket or jacket as well. In fact, you use the rain gear or jacket / fleece as padding if you need it against your back.

Consider that the cost of the baggage handling service is FAR less overall than the cost of checking the Carrix as an extra piece of checked luggage - both ways.

Remember, to do the Camino, one does it their OWN way. There is no one model, process solution, or product that makes the Camino more legitimate than another. No person has the perfect solution. We all have reasons and back-stories for doing it our own way.

You do what you need to do to accomplish this important event. I guarantee it will change you - forever. Most people leave their first Camino considering their entire life in two stages: all the bits pre-Camino, and their life post-Camino.

I hope this helps.:) Feel free to PM me with any direct questions that are not answered elsewhere on the forum.

I wish you a Buen Camino!

Tom (from Virginia)

Dear Tom,

How awfully sweet of you to take the time to (a) read my blog, and (b) to reply in such a thoughtful, informative and supportive way. I agree with you, that each person does/will walk the Camino in their own time, in their own way. Amen to that. And I hope that yours was a transformative experience.

I've been in touch with Jacotrans and other transport companies and they've been helpful in guiding me through the specifics; I've written down their contact info and now understand the details of booking, rates, and reserving a room ahead. It's not my preferred option (for reasons I mention above), however I will keep that info handy in case I need to go this 'back-up' route!

When I first looked at all these rolling options, I researched the Wheelie as well as the Carrix and others. Then I had a chance to 'meet' the Carrix, thanks to Charly (you can read all about it on my blog posting called "Charly and the Carrix (Factory)"!). And I read more. I understand that the Carrix might have downsides, and I appreciate you pointing them out, but there's no need for me to keep up with faster-paced walkers; I'm not expecting perfection because the Carrix - like our own bodies - is made up of different 'body' parts and is thus prone to the occasional 'break-down'... but more importantly, I've been offered the use of a Carrix, so I believe that the universe - and angels, probably disguised as some very warm-hearted people - are dropping a BIG gift in my lap. I'm learning to say Yes and Thanks to such gifts!

As for the day-bag, your suggestion from REI is terrific, thanks. Fortunately, I've been blessed with a teenage niece who, bless her heart, offered me her super-duper-almost-weightless nylon rucksack that once was her volleyball kit bag.. so I'm set!

I had a good laugh (and please do take this in the positive way I intend it) when I read the part about "all you need in a day bag..." because if you try to calculate the weight of ALL that you listed, including what goes in a day bag, money belt/pouch, pockets - it would amount to WAY more than my allotted weight limit ;) But I get it.. it's hard for people to imagine just how little I can actually carry...

With gratitude,
Amit (from Montreal/Bali)

Oki doki. I just wanted to make certain you looked at this from the perspective of someone who has done it and actually seen the devices that we are discussing. I wish you good health and a profound experience. Go with the flow and it will all work out. We have a saying, the "Camino provides..." I truly does.

Buen Camino!

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All of this stated, my considered recommendation for you is to use the mochila / backpack / suitcase to move a standard rolling suitcase from lodging to lodging. You can make arrangements at your first night's lodging once you arrive at your starting point.

I agree with t2andreo on this, tailor YOUR Camino to your abilities and your limitations, use the bag transport service and carry a cell phone and some food and water. Don't hesitate to call for a taxi or ride a bus to the next albergue if you are physically unable to walk for the rest of the day, nobody will judge you for it.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back