• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would you rather....

Kbierstube

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 29 (2017)
CONTEXT/ASSUMPTIONS: I have 21 days to do the Camino Frances and I'd like to go all the way to Finisterre. If I assume I'll lose one day travel TO my starting point on the Camino and 1 day FROM the ending point plus allow myself 2 additional buffer days for sickness/injury/rest. I must complete my travels in 14 days.

Which would you choose and why?

A. Start in Burgos knowing that it will be a challenge to maintain 26 miles per day over 14 days and that it is likely I'll bus ahead on an occasion or two to keep pace

OR

B. Start in Leon and give myself a little less pressure by reducing miles as well as the need to bus ahead?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would definitely start in León and it will still be 30km/day every day. I prefer a continuous journey, I enjoyed León last time I was there, and it is easy to get to.

Buen Camino!

There is no way in high heavens you stand a chance of walking from Burgos to the coast. Even from Leon will be a strech. But the most beautiful scenary is before Leon.

How important is getting to Santiago? To the coast? To not push yourself beyond regular walking hours? No fun in my book.

I walked Leon to Santiago earlier this month.
It took me 17 days but intentionally slowed myself down since I wasn't sure my friends apartment in Madrid would be empty if I finished sooner. Easily could have done it in 13 or 14 days or 11 or 12 days if I was rushed.

CONTEXT/ASSUMPTIONS: I have 21 days to do the Camino Frances and I'd like to go all the way to Finisterre. If I assume I'll lose one day travel TO my starting point on the Camino and 1 day FROM the ending point plus allow myself 2 additional buffer days for sickness/injury/rest. I must complete my travels in 14 days.

A. Start in Burgos knowing that it will be a challenge to maintain 26 miles per day over 14 days and that it is likely I'll bus ahead on an occasion or two to keep pace

OR

B. Start in Leon and give myself a little less pressure by reducing miles as well as the need to bus ahead?
What's your motivation for walking? Extreme sports? Then, sure, shoot for the moon and start in Burgos.

But if you actually want the Camino peregrino experience, then I recommend that you start in Leon or Astorga. Smell the flowers, for heaven's sake. Give yourself time to sit still once in a while, people watching with vino tino in hand, giving thanks for the fact that you're doing something really special.

What @rappahannock_rev just said.

In your shoes be thinking to walk from Leon to Santiago, leaving Finisterre for another time.
(Revealing some bias: honestly, I don't understand the hype about Finisterre; but then I grew up surrounded by ocean.)

And Santiago is the point if this is a pilgrimage. If that's not important to you not and you're from Manitoba or somewhere equally far from the sea, go for it, especially if you are very fit. If not, consider starting at Astorga so you can relax into the rhythm of the walk.

Maybe you're thinking, "Hey, it's only 25-30km a day. I can do that." (I did, before my first Camino...) But no matter what your fitness, not to underestimate the grind of carrying yourself and your pack across consecutive 30km days, day in day out. It takes its toll.

OR

Start by subtracting 4 from 21! That leaves you with 3 extra days!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Had 14 days available so went with the intention of bussing a section if I was running late. I did Leon to Santiago in 12 days comfortably, in winter. Walked as long as I was enjoying it. Some long days because the company was good, sometimes because I felt good. Did Finisterre by bus for the day . Don't know if I would bother to walk there.. Maybe if I was with a group but it didnt 'draw' me.

Now to do the first section...

Buen camino

OR

We couldn't do it all at once due to work/ holiday time constraints , it wasn't how I wanted to walk, in stages, but better that than not go- or maybe wait until retirement but then be physically unable! So have you considered doing what you can in your time frame and leave the rest to be walked when the time is right/ available rather than squeezing it in? Whatever you choose, our path continues anyway when we have begun the camino - as it says on the little slip of paper we were given by the nuns in a small church outside of Pamplona - "if you allow the camino to inhabit you, to transform you and to make you a pilgrim" . Sincere best wishes to you on your walk.

I vote with those who suggest walking into Santiago, and then taking a bus to Finisterre and Muxia for the day. Traditionally, all pilgrimages end at the Cathedral in Santiago.

The bit from Santiago to Finisterre is more a throwback to the Routa Lactea, pre-Christian pagan / Celtic worship days. Conversely, once the pilgrimage thing started in the Middle Ages, the usual route, again, was TO Santiago, not from Santiago.

Just as an FYI, the Compostela is awarded by the Cathedral at the Pilgrim Office, for travel to the remains of Saint Jams the Greater in the Cathedral, and does not factor in any distance to or from Finisterre.

Personally, after walking from France for five-weeks, I am rarely in the mood to walk further. For me, the same would be true if walking from Burgos or Leon. Riding a tourist coach is preferable to me at least.

The main Camino route from Leon to Santiago is approximately one-half the traditional Camino Frances. The actual half-way point is in Sahagun, to the East. You might do that, then save the first-half for next year.

21 Days gives you more than enough time to walk from Leon without using busses. However, if you intend to bus over less desired sections, then 21 days does provide you with time to make it from Burgos. This should still give you a day or two to enjoy Santiago and make your connections.

FYI, by taking a bus to Finisterre and Muxia you are saving 4-5 days walking.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
here is a spanner - I would do neither .. I would start at St Jean .. walk easily until time to stop then take a bus to Santiago and then Finisterre - then come back another year and pick up where I left off .. certainly wouldn't break up a Camino with internal bus journeys - you never know what you have missed and you will lose the community you built up and have to start afresh each time.

Just a thought.

OR

If you have 14 days for journey and want to start in SJPDP, then your option is CYCLE.

Or as other peregrinos suggested - walk half journey, then come back next year!

Buen camino!

OR

Leon because "stuff happens" less pressure=more fun.

You are dealing with two things: a desire to take in as much Camino as you can and not enough time to do it.

The better question to ask is: what can I do to make the most of *each* of my 21 days? In answering that question, remember that Santiago/Muxia are the least relevant parts of that equation. Those are just end points.

Once you're on the Way you'll understand this: the Camino isn't ahead of you. Turn around and look behind you: there it is.

PS We all confuse being able to walk 25km a day with walking 25km on hilly, rocky, rainy, blazing hot, windy and changeable terrain.

Wherever you start, Leon or Astorga, do as many consecutive days as possible. For me, what you would miss is creating relationships along the way. These relationships, friendships whatever you choose to call them are the things I remember and miss. Every time you bus ahead, you break the chain of people you've met. Some may like that, I did not. Santiago is worth an extra day, I bussed to Finisterre and enjoyed an extra day there. Because of the extra time in SdC, I caught up with my friends in Finisterre who'd walked by taking the bus. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

OR

Burgos
Your first 2 weeks will be your time to adjust Physically to walking everyday. This stretch is perfect for that. You will know by then if your body will be able to push comfortably 30+ K . If not do what some folks do catch a bus to where you know the daily average is doable for you. Finnesterre is a decision once you arrive in Santiago. As there is always distractions or thought changes. In my experience I simply made daily decisions no goal other than walk till I decided to stop. Things have changed, I understand folks have to book a place to stay, but it depends now on the time of year they go.
I wish you well
Buen Camino
Keith

I would suggest starting in Leon which is 300 kms to Santiago. Can be done in the time you have available. Burgos is 500 kms to Santiago and then add a bit more for Finisterre.

But to be honest it depends on how confident you are covering either of these in the time you have available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David's suggestion appeals to me.

Failing that I would opt for a start in Astorga. It would allow a smaller distance each day and less stress on the body bearing in mind that many, very many people's bodies can take 3-5 days to adjust to the routine of walk, eat, sleep, walk, eat, sleep etc.

Buen (good-starting place) Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back