• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would you recommend continuing to the ocean after Santiago?

godsfortune

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
So after a long walk you end up so close to the ocean. Would you recommend taking the extra time to visit the ocean?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One yes is all the convincing I needed.
Is there a location that is more inviting for enjoyment that I should try and get to?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Falcon, can you please say why you prefer Muxia?

Sent from my AT200 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

@godsfortune

By all means!
But it depends on the time you have and also on your "goal" (although the way itself should be the goal). You can divide this 80something trail into 3-5 days. And believe me it is beautiful. Much less crowded, mostly walking through eucaliptus plants, almost no steep climbs or descends (except the final one into Cee), beautiful nature and beaches in the end..., you'll enjoy it!

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd say to see how you feel about it at the time. For me Santiago was the goal, and once there I felt that I'd done what I wanted to do and was a bit elated. Maybe I was worried that continuing walking would have been a bit of an anticlimax.

If I had thought about it a bit more before I left home I may have looked on the whole thing differently. In the past pilgrims had to retrace their steps to get home, which must have been a bit of an anticlimax. Maybe I should have continued to the sea and looked out in the direction of home as a substitute for the return journey. :D

I did go back later and walk to the ocean as a separate Camino, so again I only had one goal (for me it was Finisterre). It is a lovely walk or day trip in the bus, and the sea is always great to be near.

Buen Camino!

falcon269 said:
I prefer Muxia to Fisterra.
Ditto.
Nicer place and nicer feel, to me.
I wasn't particularly inspired by watching people gazing out to sea, perched between burnt undies and smouldering sneakers.
Much preferred the reflective nature of the rocks, in front of the Sanctuary of Our Lady da Barca.
Just a personal preference – others might beg to differ.
Buen Camino
Colin

I prefer it becauseI like it better.

The Bela Muxia albergue is fantastic!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I love Muxía, my husband loves Finisterre. They're definitely both worth visiting if you have the time. Also, La Coruña is not far away - just 30 - 45 minutes away by train, and you can walk along the long and lovely Paseo Marítimo (ocean walk), sit on the extensive beaches for a day or two, and enjoy the anonymity of being in a large coastal city. You're right - being so close to the ocean at the end of your walk, if you have the time it's refreshing to the soul to be able to see it and recharge after your Camino. Buen Camino!

I really enjoyed the walk from Santiago to the ocean. I walked to Muxia first and then on to Finisterre, but I would reverse that if doing it again--walk first to Finisterre and end in Muxia.

I found Finisterre a let down and not a relaxing place to finish. Muxia was quaint, picturesque and quiet. I also stayed at the Bela Muxia albergue and would highly reccomend it.

Dan
danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

[/quote]
godsfortune said:
So after a long walk you end up so close to the ocean. Would you recommend taking the extra time to visit the ocean?

Most definitely!

The Eroski guide offers a good schematic map of the route and info on line >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... -fisterra/ In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office at 30 rua de Vilar near the cathedral provides an invaluable free multilingual list of ALL services on the path including accommodation, restaurants/bars, buses/taxis.

Walking west across the rolling hills above Cee you first glimpse the distant sea. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ In the dark from their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining on the silver sea it is magical. GO!!

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Um.....
Yes!
Come visit!
(Photo is Praia de Trece. A beach so nice they named it after me.)

Attachments

• Tracy Beach.jpg
    Tracy Beach.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 985
I´d have to add that the Rias Baixas (Sanxenxo etc.) are very different from the Rias Altas. The former are softer, very beautiful but often packed with Spanish tourists during the summer. The Rias Altas are spectacular, mostly virtually deserted, although the tourist infrastructure is not as well developed. Also the Rias Baixas have the spa resorts too, which can be nice after slogging so far.
Of course, I am biased! I live n the Costa da Morte (see below).
If you go even further north, you will get to Ortegueira (site of an amazing Celtic folk festival) and Viveiro. They are pretty wild up there....
Want more reasons not to end your Camino in Santiago? (And is that REALLY the End???? Since when?)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are right we went back in 2005 after a Camino and the change wrought by tourism in the 35 years between was almost as bad as the Costa del Sol. In the early 70s we put down some roots in the Costa de la Luz and were lucky that that coast did not go the same way until very recently.

I lived in a village (Benahavís) inland between Marbella and Estepona on the Costa del Sol for many years before moving to Galicia. They "urbanisationed" the entire coastline with apartment buildings most of which are now bank repossessions "selling" WAY below the origina "value".
It is sad.
The Costa de La Luz is lovely. Give me the Atlantic over the Med anytime. Same prob with real estate values though....
Greed has had disastrous consequences in this wonderful country I call my home.
But a bit off topic...
Yes, the Coast (preferably the Costa da Morte for the full IMPACT!)

@godsfortune, thank you for your question, it gives me a chance to share my experience.

When planning my Camino I gave myself extra walking days because I was sure to walk to the sea. After 34 days from SJPdP to Santiago, I was done walking for awhile. I stayed in Santiago 3 nights then took a bus to Finisterre with my Camino sister. We stayed at Hotel a Langosteira for one night. Great price at 18 euro each for a sea view, big bathroom with tub and a large room with 2 beds.

We set out for the hike up to the lighthouse to watch a glorious sunset, have a beer or two and celebrate the Camino. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and I don't recall seeing any burnt undies or shoes anywhere. No one was burning anything at the time. The next morning we hopped on the bus to Muxia. Muxia is soo beautiful and different as you can get right down to the sea where it crashes against the large rocks while you climb like a mountain goat over them. I loved Muxia, I didn't want to leave. We stayed approximately 3.5 hours and after lunch we caught the bus back to Santiago. It was well worth it and I recommend you add enough days to visit, you'll be glad you did.

I've added a couple photos. There's Muxia where you can see a local fisherman trying to catch his dinner and then Finisterre at sunset. Enjoy. :)

Peace be with you and my the Lord guide your steps.

Attachments

• Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 1063.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 1063.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • sunset with megan finisterre.jpg
    sunset with megan finisterre.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Continue to the coast. Even by bus, which is what we did. After the weeks of walking through peaceful landscapes and a lot of tiny pueblos, the crowds in Santiago felt a little stifling and anticlimactic when we arrived - though we did arrive the day before St. James' feast day, when everything was more crowded than usual. The peace of Finesterre felt like we had reached our destination. We walked all the way to the point, and saw why it's called "the end of the world." In the end we didn't get an albergue, and instead climbed down past the lighthouse, and spent the night on a ledge with our feet wedged against a boulder so we didn't fall down the cliff. (Not the best night's sleep, but certainly memorable... especially since we got engaged there.)

The coast is always a good destination, in my opinion.

Below you can see our luxury sleeping accommodations (where my now-husband is standing) and the sunset, in case you need more convincing.

8012159431_12a5352f17.jpg

8012212950_061335290a.jpg

Yes by all means! The Costa del Morte is well worth some time at the end of the Camino. After completing the full Camino Frances, I toured the area for several days with The Little Fox house (http://www.thelittlefoxhouse.com/) as my home base. It was the perfect way to wind down before returning home....I cannot say enough about the Little Fox House....very highly recommended!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely... We walked to Finisterre on our first Camino (2009) and stayed for 3 days. We were blessed with wonderful weather. Last spring we walked to Muxia and enjoyed Muxia even more. Stayed at Hotel Lolo, next to Bella Muxia. Treat yourself, not too expensive and worth it. If you have the time, walk to both. If time is of a premium take a bus. Either way you will be glad you went. Dayton and Karen

We rented a car in Santiago. Cars seem like magic after all that slow travel----push your foot and Zoom! Off to the coast! Good transition to the real world.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Absolutely, walk on from SDC if you feel the urge, I did & it was just a wonderful, quiet, bimbling, gentle come down from the high of arriving in Santiago....I felt I had " unfinished business" to attend to & the extra few days helped me ease my way back into the " what now, where do I go from here, what lies ahead?" feeling.....I got wonderfully lost on day 2, so it took me 5 days on to Finisterre...but every step was a joy....& the sunset at the lighthouse a real surprise...a chance meeting with a Camino sister, a late supper & much reflection all worth the extra miles!!!...do what feels right at the time

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you both. Maybe I will walk to just one and not both. I dont want to get stranded lol

Another option is to take a bus to Muxia, and walk to Fisterra, then Santiago. Reverse walking is a bit tricky, so maps are handy (or stick to roads).

Yeah maybe if I walk to Fisterra, catch the bus to Muxia, then a bus back to Santiago. Think that would be my best bet. Thank you :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jordan if you are walking to Finisterra anyway its only one more day to muxia along the coast or two days if you want to stop in Lires. Either way IMO it is well worth the extra day and its a beautiful walk. You can then get a bus from Muxia back to Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you both. Maybe I will walk to just one and not both. I dont want to get stranded lol
If you have time with just one, go to Muxía otherwise I really like the walk to Finisterre and then to Muxía (I even walked back to Santiago again and it is not so hard to go backwards. Muxía is beautiful and so calm. Finisterre was filled with tourist busses out by the lighthouse but I liked the town and the beachwalk. Cee was a nice town as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found the opposite. Walked every step, and it was really really important to me to do so. Was adamant I was NOT going to get a bus.

Walked out to Finisterre to the 0,0km marker and had an overwhelming sense of completion. Of not needing to walk any more. Was quite miffed I had to walk back to the hotel!

In my opinion, One MUST go to Finisterre and experience the 0.0km marker and the sunset. The feelings of accomplishment and finality overwhelms while sitting with other pilgrims and watching the sun set over the Atlantic. Yet a sense of a new beginning accompanied those feelings. I felt a responsibility to myself to make sure I put into practice the realizations/epiphanies from my Camino.

This thread is making my heart flutter. I can't wait to stand at the end of the world, looking out to the ocean.

Actually, I take that back. I can definitely wait - because that will mark the end of my first camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread is making my heart flutter. I can't wait to stand at the end of the world, looking out to the ocean.

Actually, I take that back. I can definitely wait - because that will mark the end of my first camino.
I agree I can wait to the finish as the thought of finishing is a little sad - but it is just a small journey in our total journey and to become part of the Camino family sets us apart as we have a much larger family now

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Most definitely!

The Eroski guide offers a good schematic map of the route and info on line >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... -fisterra/ In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office at 30 rua de Vilar near the cathedral provides an invaluable free multilingual list of ALL services on the path including accommodation, restaurants/bars, buses/taxis.

Walking west across the rolling hills above Cee you first glimpse the distant sea. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ In the dark from their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining on the silver sea it is magical. GO!!

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret I am unfamiliar how to post a question and as I see you and Kanga respond so well I wanted to ask your advice - basically I email and have a very primitive pay as you go mobile, which no-one rings me on much - so what is your wisdom about taking a mbl? My daughter says o'h mum you have to get one! I am solo, travelling in September kindest regards Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
AnnieY,

Be sure to check out what others think in this recent this Forum thread re: do I need a phone

While walking a phone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone. ...In retrospect I would NEVER walk without a smartphone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life.

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Absolutely! The walk from Santiago to Finisterre was a highlight of my Camino - would not have changed the decision to add on the extra days of walking at all.

I didn't go to the coast so take this idea with a grain of salt.

I did walk a few days before reaching SJPdP, starting in Dax, France - an awesome city. From there it was into the foothills of the Pyranees with stops in St Palais and Ostabat. Finally walking through the pilgrims arch (or something like that) into SJPdP. It was fantastic.

Going to the ocean is a must. Watching the sunset over the Atlantic is the perfect end to the Camino. I am so glad that Ansi told me to do it. Thanks Ansi so much.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Going to the ocean is a must. Watching the sunset over the Atlantic is the perfect end to the Camino. I am so glad that Ansi told me to do it. Thanks Ansi so much.
A "must"? What if one's pilgrimage is to Santiago? Should we not bother?

So does Finistere or Muxia have the better beach? If your going to walk to the sea you MUST end IN the sea.

Hola

The road up from Finesterra DownTown to the light house definietly marked an end to a long walk.
The backpack had not felt heavier than then, but seeing the sun set into the ocean was a fine conclusion and contemplative moment.
I plan to do it again.

Buen Camino

All along the way I kept hearing about continuing to Muxia or Finisterre. Making it to Santiago was a wonderful accomplishment, for sure. Yet I still felt unfulfilled. I can't explain it. I felt myself pulled toward Finisterre without understanding why. I arrived in Finisterre still feeling like something was missing. I met a young lady working at one of the restaurants and she convinced me I needed to go to the lighthouse and watch the sunset. I decided to follow her advice. Once I arrived at the lighthouse and found my place among the rocks I knew I had found what I was seeking. The hour or so watching the sun descend into the sea gave me time to contemplate about what I had accomplished. I thought about the Pyrenees, the rain, the flooding in Pamplona, the people, the ones who helped me along the way, and all the other specifics of my journey. After that, I knew I was ready to return home. I am so grateful to all the people that helped me and pushed me and encouraged me. I can't wait to do it again.

Trent Shupperd
Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

So does Finistere or Muxia have the better beach? If your going to walk to the sea you MUST end IN the sea.
Finistera has a beautiful beach on the way in so you can have a swim there, there is also a beautiful beach a few k's from Muxia and I saw some pilgrims stop there for a paddle. For me Muxia was the place to finish the Camino, a great sense of peace at the little church on the headland and a lovely town to boot.

Walking across the hills towards near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea! Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. From their dorm window glimpsing the distant lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining at night is magical.

Next morning I walk the last kilometers down into Finisterre and out to that lighthouse mentally saying adieu to 'my' camino. At the final rocks I silently give thanks and then treat myself to a flute of champagne, toasting all who helped to make my journey possible. Watching the sea I slowly sip savoring the moment.

When that glass is empty it is time to turn towards home .

Margaret Meredith

€83,-
At the risk of repeating what most everyone else has said, do go if you have the time.

For me, this pilgrimage was as much about "the end of the earth" as it was visiting St. James's tomb. Finisterre did not disappoint. The sunset was magical, and I agree with the other comments that seeing the 0,0km marker sent a message to my soul that although I was done walking here, my journey continues inside.

All of that said, to each his own Camino. Trust what you're called to. <3

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back