• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would you recommend taking a bathing suit?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We were told not to and didn't miss one! On the Via de la Plata, that is another story though - Roman baths at Banos de Montemeyer, thermal baths at Oviedo.

I don't recall any opportunity for swimming in the ocean on the Portuguese Coastal route but I wasn't really looking for one. I did enjoy swimming in the ocean in Muxia though when I walked Santiago de Compostela to Muxia and Finisterre.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the Frances, and didn't swim at all, but my plan should there have been a good opportunity to swim, was to wear my undies and sports bra.

I don't recall any opportunity for swimming in the ocean on the Portuguese Coastal route....
While I am in the "don't bother group", I am surprised that there aren't opportunitites to swim on the Coastal. Why is that. Certainly between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde you could swim.

As to why I would not bother, it's one more item to carry, wash, etc. for the odd place where walking into the sea to my knees would not be enough to satisfy me. I'm there to walk. When I want the sea, it's to scuba.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bring a bikini bottom and wear that with a sports bra. I only had one good opportunity to swim last year before it got too cool, but walking in July and August this year I hope to be able to swim in Finesterre/Muxia.
Please be every careful swimming at unpatrolled ocean beaches. There are rips (US: riptides) and they can and will kill you. If fact, the ocean beach at Finisterre is thus sign-posted. Calm water does not mean a beach is safe.

I told my Spanish buddy I will buy a new speedo for Valencia this summer. He said no no no. Only the Italians & Canadians wear them
lol

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello. I plan to walk the Coastal route from Porto. Would you recommend taking a bathing suit? Is there many opportunities to swim in the ocean? Thanks
Hi , as already stated by Anemone we are to walk .
I live about 50km. from the sea so when I want to swim I do it there .

Wish you well,Peter.

Hello. I plan to walk the Coastal route from Porto. Would you recommend taking a bathing suit? Is there many opportunities to swim in the ocean? Thanks

Hi, somewhere between Nigrán and Vigo, on the camino next to the sea, you walk past a nudist beach – you won’t need a swimming costume there! It is quite visible from the path, and it was well-populated, even in early June on a Friday afternoon when I walked past. But if that’s not your thing, the next beach you come to, round the next corner, is popular with families. There were many opportunities for swimming, but, as said above, take notice of any danger signs – some pretty nasty currents out there. I didn’t swim at all, but I would probably take a proper swimming costume in July or August when it’s hotter. I did have matching bra and panties, plus thin top to wear over, just in case I did feel like swimming.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, somewhere between Nigrán and Vigo, on the camino next to the sea, you walk past a nudist beach – you won’t need a swimming costume there! It is quite visible from the path, and it was well-populated, even in early June on a Friday afternoon when I walked past. But if that’s not your thing, the next beach you come to, round the next corner, is popular with families. There were many opportunities for swimming, but, as said above, take notice of any danger signs – some pretty nasty currents out there. I didn’t swim at all, but I would probably take a proper swimming costume in July or August when it’s hotter. I did have matching bra and panties, plus thin top to wear over, just in case I did feel like swimming.
Jill
Some of you truly seasoned Camino veterans have such marvelous memories and your comment surely shows that you are one of them!

Sports bra and knickers or running shorts. Take something that can do double duty.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did not do so, but there are many opportunities for swimming in the ocean on the coastal route. Lots of beach on the way north. However, be careful to make certain that it is safe first.

There are LOTS of opportunities if you follow the Senda Litoral and the Caminho Portugês da Costa. I am in fact right now in Nigrán and passed lovely beaches after Baiona, also yesterday before Caminha and previous days in Póvoa do Vazim etc.

But...the weather has been, let's say, quite Galician. I took my rain poncho on and off about 4 times today and it is quite windy. Not exactly beach weather. In fact since I left Porto 5 days ago I only had consistent blue skies and sun on the first day. Hope to see some sun before reaching Santiago!

Some of you truly seasoned Camino veterans have such marvelous memories

Me (to the two behind): “Hey girls, there’s a naked man up ahead, nice looking too”.
The Two Behind: “Oooooh, where?”
Me: “I’m being serious . . . he’s having a shower, at the edge of the beach”.
We stopped . . . as one would.
Another guy walking up from behind smiled at us and walked on past.
He joined the other guy and they both turned into the beach.
We advanced, cautiously . . . . phew, quite safe, just a nudist beach :rolleyes::D.
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my first Camino facilities were mostly more basic than today. I thought I was the only person in the refugio one evening. Midway through my shower in the only communal shower room a young Spanish woman walked in, greeted me politely, hung up her towel and began to wash under another shower. Something of a surprise.

Me (to the two behind): “Hey girls, there’s a naked man up ahead, nice looking too”.
The Two Behind: “Oooooh, where?”
Me: “I’m being serious . . . he’s having a shower, at the edge of the beach”.
We stopped . . . as one would.
Another guy walking up from behind smiled at us and walked on past.
He joined the other guy and they both turned into the beach.
We advanced, cautiously . . . . phew, quite safe, just a nudist beach :rolleyes::D.
Jill
Thanks for being adult about this. I also likes the humor. Sans suit. For me often.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I suppose it depends on how leisurely or fast you're planning your Camino.

I always suggest taking at least one unnecessary item, for your own fun !!

Sure. Whenever/wherever I travel I always carry a pair of short athletic shorts with a built in liner - both nylon for quick drying. Works as a swimsuit, sleep shorts, walking shorts (although my wife is not too happy about the latter) in the rain. I guess for a woman, pair with t-shirt or sports bra & you're prepared.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am very happy that I brought my swimsuit on my Camino. It's been so hot and I had plenty of opportunities to use it. If you want to pack less then just take the bottoms...most or all are topless anyway. I did find a nude beach in A Coruña too. Swimsuit is always a must item for me, but also depends on your route. I also used it somewhere before Pamplona by the river.

I am very happy that I brought my swimsuit on my Camino. It's been so hot and I had plenty of opportunities to use it. If you want to pack less then just take the bottoms...most or all are topless anyway. I did find a nude beach in A Coruña too. Swimsuit is always a must item for me, but also depends on your route. I also used it somewhere before Pamplona by the river.
Great playa nudista in vigo. Samil. Fyi

Sports bra and knickers or running shorts. Take something that can do double duty.
Yes. This is what I did walking the CP this June. Sports bra and my compression shorts worked fine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I took mine and im glad i did, some albergues have pools .

Hahhaha unlucky

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
yes. plenty beaches by the ocean and a river or 2 when you go inland after villadeconda. So cool and refreshing on a long walk but it delays arrival times. Do try and stay in Casa Fernanda for the best of "everything"

We have just returned from the Camino Portugues, having done the Senda Litoral up to the River Minho then turning inland and walking uprive to Valenca to cross into Spain at Tui. We had one great opportunity to swim in the sea when we reached Praia de Ancora and stayed in the Albergaria Quim Barreiros (lovely spot to swim in the warm river flowing into the sea or just let those feet cool in the sea and sand!), but we also enjoyed a number of hotel pools at Vila do Conde (Mindelo, Quinta das Alfaias), Valenca (Residencial Minho Belo), Caldas de Reis (Balneario Acuna) and when we arrived in Santiago (NH Collection hotel).
We made use of all of them and enjoyed everyone!

I enjoyed walking by the sea when I could, on the Portuguese coastal route and had a little towel with me for the odd paddle but I certainly agree with Mike Savage, great opportunities for a splash in Muxia and I did celebrate with a knee deep paddle in Finisterre just to celebrate getting there. While I was considering the "chilliness" of the water 2 German peregrinas appeared from nowhere (I had seen them earlier fully kitted with their rucksacks) stark naked and shouting with joy as they raced into the sea! Brilliant!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Took ours in May 2016 on the coastal route (green arrow diversion). Excess baggage as it was too cold and wet despite many opportunities. The umbrellas, on the other hand, were indispensible. All that trudging, head down into the oncoming torrents are now just a fond memory. I do recommend the green arrow route between Baiona and Vigo though. Very lovely and truly coastal.

QUOTE="laineylainey, post: 530598, member: 61133"]I enjoyed walking by the sea when I could, on the Portuguese coastal route and had a little towel with me for the odd paddle but I certainly agree with Mike Savage, great opportunities for a splash in Muxia and I did celebrate with a knee deep paddle in Finisterre just to celebrate getting there. While I was considering the "chilliness" of the water 2 German peregrinas appeared from nowhere (I had seen them earlier fully kitted with their rucksacks) stark naked and shouting with joy as they raced into the sea! Brilliant!![/QUOTE]
How do we tell the difference between the flashers & nudists at the beach?:eek:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a fancy private Albergue with a restaurant and a swimming pool and cool sculptures made out of sticks on Camino Frances I'm not sure exactly where it is but it's kind of around Castrojueiz.it's a small detour worth it

QUOTE="laineylainey, post: 530598, member: 61133"]I enjoyed walking by the sea when I could, on the Portuguese coastal route and had a little towel with me for the odd paddle but I certainly agree with Mike Savage, great opportunities for a splash in Muxia and I did celebrate with a knee deep paddle in Finisterre just to celebrate getting there. While I was considering the "chilliness" of the water 2 German peregrinas appeared from nowhere (I had seen them earlier fully kitted with their rucksacks) stark naked and shouting with joy as they raced into the sea! Brilliant!!
How do we tell the difference between the flashers & nudists at the beach?:eek:[/QUOTE]

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Staying at ORBITUR campsites in Angeiras, Rio Alto, Viana do Castelo or Caminha, the swimming pool is free for pilgrims. Pilgrim´s fare for their nice bungalows only at the reception showing the Credential. No reduction when booking at any booking side, including ORBITUR booking system. Make reservations via e-mail to the camping you want to stay.

I walked the Costa last year and saw lots of lovely beaches where you could swim, many of them you do not need a swimsuit as there are many nudist beaches

I walked in unusually hot weather this June and on one occasion near Vigo we literally had to go for a sea swim to cool off. Otherwise it was more practical to bathe on rest days rather than significantly interrupt the walk. There is a lot of coast where you might choose to swim but much of the area is surfing country which means rolling waves and often high winds so there were some places where bathing is risky. Having said that if weather and wind and your time considerations permit then coastal swim locations you might consider are Vila do Conde, Povoa, Ancora in Portugal. In Spain Panxon beach is special see pic below and on a rest day I enjoyed time on the beach at Sabaris just next to Baiona. Finally on a very hot rest day in Pontevedra i took a bus to sanxenxo which has a lovely beach.

Attachments

• Beach at vila do conde.jpg
    Beach at vila do conde.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Sabaris nxt to baiona.jpg
    Sabaris nxt to baiona.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Panxon beach.jpg
    Panxon beach.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Beach sanxenxo.jpg
    Beach sanxenxo.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Nr caminha...the sea can get rough.jpg
    Nr caminha...the sea can get rough.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
We carried bathing suits in May/June all the way along the Norte and did not use them until we got into Santiago! It was too cold before that.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back