• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wow. Forest fire closes Napoleon route.

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The fire centre seems to be the Col de Bentarte and adjacent to the Route Napoleon. The Route would have been closed to Pilgrims from 1 November anyway.

I'll comfort myself with the thought that this was a spontaneous conflagration and not sparked by some Pilg's discarded fag-butt or an ill advised attempt to make a brew.

Strange, when the route is routinely closed due to the ever present threat of heavy snow - perhaps the Lyke Wake Dirge has it right:

This one night, this one night
Every night and all
Fire and sleet and candle-light
And Christ receive thy soul

I could be wrong with my limited Spanish. However what I gather from the news post, if your going through Valcarlos you might find the route is closed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I could be wrong with my limited Spanish. However what I gather from the news post, if your going through Valcarlos you might find the route is closed.
I'm not getting that. Just the Napoleon route which closes soon anyway. Open to being corrected though

"However, it has been necessary to close the passage of the Camino de Santiago through the area to avoid incidents due to smoke inhalation. People who walk the Camino from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles should do so via Valcarlos."
The route via Valcarlos remains open. Will have been a compulsory disposition from Tuesday anyways. The Benta Ardandegia will be welcoming pilgrims once again

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Read the actual Twitter feed of Bomberos y Bomberas – Suhiltzaileak - @bomberos_na and
of 112 Sos Navarra / Nafarroa - @112_na and the timeline. These are the Twitter handles of firefighters and emergency services for the Valcarlos/Roncesvalles area.

Route Valcarlos:
  • has been open all the time and continues to be open throughout the coming weeks and months
Route Napoleon:
  • was closed on Saturday 29 October 2022 (fire, smoke)
  • is open on Sunday 30 October 2022 and on Monday 31 October 2022
  • is closed from Tuesday 1 November 2022 until 31 March 2023 (seasonal closure).
See also this year's official announcement from the regional government of Navarra:

BTW, what you also see in the Twitter feed of the local emergency services 112 Sos Navarra / Nafarroa - @112_na:
  • Yesterday (29 October), they tweeted a severe weather warning from AEMET saying that the level of risk of forest fires was extreme or very high ("extremo" o "muy alto") in all of Navarra.

• Today (30 October), they tweeted a severe weather warning from AEMET saying that as of 3 pm there is a risk of heavy rain (acumulación de precipitaciones) in three areas of Navarra that include the Valcarlos / Roncesvalles area.
They advise people to stay up to date as to these warnings.

I apologize, My Spanish is very limited.
So is mine. I must admit I delved deeper, and tried a few of the online translators, because, like the Napoleon, the route via Valcarlos passes through the Puerto de Ibañeta which seemed to be the fire centre. It seems to me now that Ibenata / Col de Bentata is the control-centre not the fire centre which was further to the north and east of the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in Roncesvalles at the moment. Yesterday (Saturday) pilgrims came in late in the afternoon. They had walked up the Route Napoleon, were stopped by polica at Arisson because of the fires. Some pilgrims called a taxi to bring them back to Saint-Jean-Pied-Port, or even directly to Roncesvalles, but other pilgrims decided to walk back to SJPdP and walk the Valcarlos route! So these pilgrims walked 35-37 kms in total. Amongst them was a Belgian family with a 9 years old boy!
Tonight we have heavy rain and thunder and lightning, so the fires will have stopped by now ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back