• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wow less then 2 wks from now..

callme.carlo

I originally planned to simply tour Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, Benelux, and Italy) for 5 weeks but now things have changed so rapidly. I must admit I have not heard of the Camino before seeing the movie "The Way" 3-4wks ago. After watching the movie with my dad I said to myself there is no way I will do that. The next day I decided I will include the Camino into my trip. Not to just do it but because I really feel it is calling me. (Maybe this is how most pilgrims start out)? Like most it is a personal and spiritual reason. For me it is to sort out issues with career and personal struggles. What am I looking for..inspiration!

Now I am planning to do only 4 weeks of Spain, France, Benelux, and Italy with another 30-40 days to complete the Camino from St Jean. The closer I get to my trip the more I feel anxious. What if I won't enjoy my first 4 weeks? I hate feeling this because I have spent so much money and time into preparing for this. In the end I know I will enjoy this. However I wish I have someone to go with for the first 4 weeks. The Camino I can do by myself but hopefully find new friends along the way. I feel the Camino will just be the icing to my trip. It is weird that I am looking forward to hiking 500 miles. But we all know it is not just about the Hike. It is what we hope to find along the way...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Once you get there,it will all work out.

The Camino has been there for 1000 years and may be there for 1000 more. If you find your travel plans are not working out for you, you can always head for the camino and do some traveling about afterwards. Or you could walk some of the other camino routes....Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte or Via de la plata

I have never had any trouble meeting people while on the camino, but find travel on my own as sometimes lonely.

Will you update the forum during your travels? I'd like to be able to hear about your experiences.

Buen Camino,
Jeff

Jeff Stys said:
Once you get there,it will all work out.

The Camino has been there for 1000 years and may be there for 1000 more. If you find your travel plans are not working out for you, you can always head for the camino and do some traveling about afterwards. Or you could walk some of the other camino routes....Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte or Via de la plata

I have never had any trouble meeting people while on the camino, but find travel on my own as sometimes lonely.

Will you update the forum during your travels? I'd like to be able to hear about your experiences.

Buen Camino,
Jeff

You know wow I feel foolish :oops: to have never considered doing the Camino first... haha how about that. I can definitely do that but would be alot of trouble to travel back to Compostela after I complete my tour (return flight is in Compostela). However that is something I should consider....

That is my fear.. feeling lonely for the first 4 weeks but it will work out. It always do.

I considered doing a blog for my family and friends. However I will definitely share my experiences in this board.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Carlo, feeling lonely is ok, in fact, it is more than ok, it is essential. To be alone is a rare thing indeed but it is from that place, that aloneness, that growth happens.

If you do the looking round Europe first, as you have planned, you will find that as you are alone your observation of the outside world will be keener and you will also have the inner space to think and ponder. It is a process that may change the way you see the world, make you aware of how important the people at home are, all the things they do for you, the love they give you.

If you travel with someone else your conversations are inward, between the two of you, and you miss all the other things. When you travel alone you are open to everything new, everything that happens.

If you are staying in backpacker hostels you will meet lots of other young people travelling alone - it will be fine.
When you then do the Camino you will be more independent, more mature, more sure of yourself - so the friendships you make will be on friendship alone, not need.

So accept that you will be lonely, it is the central part of your journey - all is well . :wink:

Hi Carlo,

What David says contains a lot of wisdom. I just wish you well on your travels and on your Camino.

I can really endorse what he ways about meeting other people. Many of them will be a blessing to you, and you yourself will be a blessing to others.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back