• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wow! Look at this ultralight backpack made from Ikea bags!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's an "how to" for that kind of backpack somewhere on the internet.

I made one from the ground sheet of a cheap old tent, similar material, and use a therm-a-rest (the foldable foam one) as back-frame replacement. With all gear (including tent, sleeping bag, mat, camping stove/pots, water and snacks) I'm down to about 8kgs now, using that pack. And that's for a winter setup! The pack cost me 5 Euros alltogether (and a few hours of work).

Not long-term-tested yet, though. I'll tell you about the results as soon as I know!

edit: with regard to the liters - not sure. My huge winter sleeping bag, all clothes, cooking gear ect. fit in easily.

That's a great idea and would work for walking the Camino.
I know there seems to be a lot of discussion on high-tech expensive gear, but truth be told, walking the Camino doesn't require it. It's just not that hard on your pack, sleeping bag, etc. After a cleaning up the stuff looks the same in SDC that it did in SJPdP.
First time Camino walkers reading this, take note. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's an "how to" for that kind of backpack somewhere on the internet.

I made one from the ground sheet of a cheap old tent, similar material, and use a therm-a-rest (the foldable foam one) as back-frame replacement. With all gear (including tent, sleeping bag, mat, camping stove/pots, water and snacks) I'm down to about 8kgs now, using that pack. And that's for a winter setup! The pack cost me 5 Euros alltogether (and a few hours of work).

Not long-term-tested yet, though. I'll tell you about the results as soon as I know!

edit: with regard to the liters - not sure. My huge winter sleeping bag, all clothes, cooking gear ect. fit in easily.
I'd love to see yours. Do you have a picture?
I really like the idea of making my own gear. I'm working on a couple of silk liners for myself and my friend. I have one from last year, but this year I'm trying to perfect it. :p

The same website that has the pattern/instructions for making the parcho (rain gear) also has directions for making a backpack for those looking for a creative adventure

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just to let the geezer demographic weigh in here -- I am all in favor of lightweight everything, but if you have any lower back issues, this pack could be terrible for you.

I can walk 1200 km with a good internal frame pack weighing in around 18-20 pounds and not feel a tinge of anything in my back. But if I have a day pack with no frame and a couple of books and a water bottle, my lower back will be killing me within an hour or so.

Make sure you check it out carefully before setting out!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This guy is so ingenious. He spent about $30 on this backpack that weighs about 17 ounces.
http://sandiegomitch.com/backpacking.html
Love it!
Looks really good I just don't like the colour, perhaps a yellow one would be more appropriate:D
:eek::eek::eek: Don´t like the colour!! :eek: You are entitled to your opinion, you really are.. :confused:o_O Thoug, I am from the land of IKEA and they "promote" the colours of Sweden (the colour of the bags are the same as the colours of our flag), I have to say you are wrong! ;) :D :p

But if I have a day pack with no frame and a couple of books and a water bottle, my lower back will be killing me within an hour or so.
Good adwise, and the same goes for my back..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love it!

:eek::eek::eek: Don´t like the colour!! :eek: You are entitled to your opinion, you really are.. :confused:o_O Thoug, I am from the land of IKEA and they "promote" the colours of Sweden (the colour of the bags are the same as the colours of our flag), I have to say you are wrong! ;) :D :p
Not only that, they are Camino colors. :)

Just to let the geezer demographic weigh in here -- I am all in favor of lightweight everything, but if you have any lower back issues, this pack could be terrible for you.

I can walk 1200 km with a good internal frame pack weighing in around 18-20 pounds and not feel a tinge of anything in my back. But if I have a day pack with no frame and a couple of books and a water bottle, my lower back will be killing me within an hour or so.

Good point. The weight has to sit on your hips and for that you need to have a good harness.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Amazing. I applaud this fellow's ingenuity.
It looks similar to the Zpacks backpack I used in 2013, but the pack I had was designed and built specifically for me by ZPacks. The Arc Blast model I ordered fit like a glove, had load shifters, pockets, and fully padded belt, and shoulder straps. They also sealed all seams for waterproofing and an inner bag for complete protection. (really appreciated this in Galicia) The one other thing I ordered was a small accessory bag designed to be attached outside the pack. I used this for my toiletries, and as able to take it into the shower without worrying about it getting wet. I really couldn't have wished for more. This 55 litre bag weighed a scant 595 grams and at the time cost around $295....worth every penny.
Full disclosure: I have nothing to gain, nor was I compensated in any way by Zpaks....I just feel it is just a really great pack.
I hope this helps someone to consider this option.
As Always......Cam'.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But if I have a day pack with no frame and a couple of books and a water bottle, my lower back will be killing me within an hour or so.

Same here. I was all gungho to get something frameless and ultralight, but I found that the framed and supposedly too-heavy Osprey kyte was so comfortable I could forget within seconds that I was carrying anything, which never happened with any of the ultralights, alas.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.