• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino WOW what a different Le Puy, and I like it!!!

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Stayed at the youth hostel that was far from glamorous but met every single need we had, great location and i’d do it again in a heart beat! Due to pandemic had a room to ourselves which was their rule. Got up arrived to mass at exactly 0700, bells were chiming as we went through the door! I could not believe it, five years ago we were in le Piy I think August 20th, our mass had I think about 14 people there, we all sat in the front rows and has a lengthy conversation with the Priest and nun, so lengthy we missed the “ opening of the special door”, as we went to the room for our stamps and I think stood around for an hour chatting. Today Every pew, even in the back was populated, they were not shoulder to shoulder but they were far from empty!!! The whole side of the wall was lined deep with backpacks. Families, young kids were present!!! A beautifully diverse population of pilgrims!!!! We were the only two USA citizens, I think one Canadian. With a show of hands almost everyone was from France. I think about 12 we’re not out of a mass full of people. We had a wonderful day!!! Many of the French appeared to be college aged, something I can’t say I noticed 5 years ago. A WONDERFUL group of happy pilgrims! We walked in big bubbles all day long!!! We walked very much alone five years ago. Don’t get me wrong five years ago was my perfect Camino, but this certainly is not a repeat of it… and I like it!!!
Off to bed!!!
Neve

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looking forward to reading your journal. Le Puy is probably our favorite Camino, full of diversity in so many ways.
Piémont is also a great route, more elevation, more solitude. Walked from Carcasonne to Lourdes 4 years ago (then we walked south to the Spanish route). In a month (assume France is still open to Americans), we will walk from Lourdes to SJPDP.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stayed at the youth hostel that was far from glamorous but met every single need we had, great location and i’d do it again in a heart beat! Due to pandemic had a room to ourselves which was their rule. Got up arrived to mass at exactly 0700, bells were chiming as we went through the door! I could not believe it, five years ago we were in le Piy I think August 20th, our mass had I think about 14 people there, we all sat in the front rows and has a lengthy conversation with the Priest and nun, so lengthy we missed the “ opening of the special door”, as we went to the room for our stamps and I think stood around for an hour chatting. Today Every pew, even in the back was populated, they were not shoulder to shoulder but they were far from empty!!! The whole side of the wall was lined deep with backpacks. Families, young kids were present!!! A beautifully diverse population of pilgrims!!!! We were the only two USA citizens, I think one Canadian. With a show of hands almost everyone was from France. I think about 12 we’re not out of a mass full of people. We had a wonderful day!!! Many of the French appeared to be college aged, something I can’t say I noticed 5 years ago. A WONDERFUL group of happy pilgrims! We walked in big bubbles all day long!!! We walked very much alone five years ago. Don’t get me wrong five years ago was my perfect Camino, but this certainly is not a repeat of it… and I like it!!!
Off to bed!!!
Neve
When I walked in 2015 I didn't meet another American until I got to St. Jean. What a great camino you are on. Buen Camino and happy to hear it is so different. What you described during your first camino mirrored my experience also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We would definitely recommend the Le Puy to SJPDP route (2015) for its spectacular beauty. Not quite the same feel as the Camino Frances (2013) but the French were welcoming and helpful. Accommodation was definitely a step up from the Spanish alburges but you paid for it. Unlike many who begin their pilgrimage in SJPDP we finished there, then climbed over the Pyrenees to join the dots with our Camino Frances. By that time we were fit and managed the Pyrenees climb easily.
How we long to be on the trails once more but at this stage we are not able to leave Australia. One day ... when the world regains some semblance of "normality".
Buen Camino to all of you lucky walkers

Attachments

• P1050789.JPG
    P1050789.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
MM, I agree with you about the Le Puy chemin.
Amazing!
Diverse!
Did you walk to SJPP and then to Lourdes or some other route....?
I made an error in my previous post. I walked the entire Le Puy route from Le Puy to SJPDP in 2016. Then in 2017, I walked the Piémont route from Carcarsson to Oloron St Marie, from there, walked south, crossed Somport to Java in Spain and continued on to connect with the French way. Because I “missed” the Piémont section from Oloron to SJPDP, I am planning to walk this small section in Sept to “complete” the Piémont route.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back