• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wrangling Your Medications

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean-Los Arcos ,Sept, Oct 14'
Los Arcos - Logrono-May16'
Next Logrono to ? - Sept 2019
2014 was a serious medicine year for me . My list of meds equaled twelve separate prescriptions , seven in the morning , five at night . Coming from the states to St Jean I was concerned if I portioned them at the house they might get confiscated at the airport . I had written prescriptions from the Doc’s for each med to prove they were legitimate but they were not written in Spanish. It concerned me.

To minimize this particular angst ( there were many other pre-Camino angsterizes happening at the time ) I decided to pack the prescription bottles, then upon arrival in St Jean and settled in ,I could portion them out there in my room. That’s what I did. I portioned out 100 daily doses of medication ( 1,200 pills) into ity bity plastic bags and tossed the bottles in the trash after tearing off the labels . I had two large zip lock bags for stuffing small portion bags into . One for day and one for night. Voila’! .

But.

On day 21 I hurt my back and had to come home. I had 79 small plastic bags with twelve different prescriptions without identification in my backpack . I had to return home through airports and customs.

I checked my backpack at the airport, crossed my fingers and not a word was heard. Made it home and had many days of pre-portioned meds to work through. Whew

September 2016 I am continuing my Camino ,this time with only 5 prescriptions. I think I know how to handle this problem now .

How did you handle your medications? How have you in the past?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to hear that you've had so many health issues. It's a pest having to tote all that weight in medications on your walks. It really is something that a heavy chore to manage on overseas trips. I always travel with my scripts and have travelled with webster blister packs that have pictures and descriptions of the tablets. My chemist in Australia now offers prepackaged sachets: https://youtu.be/XLshohR27Lk and I plan to do a trial run next trip taking the original bottles together with some sachets as they clearly labeled and certified by the dispensing chemist.

I take enough for the time I am away in its original packaging, the script and a letter from my doctor. I declare them on arrival in Europe as part of the normal entry routine, and again when I return to Australia. I retain the original packaging during the trip, just in case there are issues with some local authority or should I have a medical emergency and ambulance or emergency centre staff need to know what medications I have taken.

I don't have that many medications or the dosage frequency that would make using a blister pack worthwhile, but I can see it might be an advantage for those who have to take medication several times a day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I take enough for my travels in the prescription bottle they come in. I have seen medications packaged in sealed plastic baggies such as was described but they are packaged by the pharmacist and carry a label as to what each baggie contains. I have learned that it is invaluable to have a list of medications and ALLERGIES somewhere on your person. In an emergency that list of allergies is invaluable along with a list of medications for easy access to emergency personnel

I take a letter from my doctor stating the drugs I am taking and the dosage. If necessary I present that to customs authorities, etc. I am lucky in that I am only taking one regular medication - but the doctor also supplies me with some "just in case" antibiotics and anti-histamine tablets.

The one regular medication caused my doctor some amusement last time (it's a protein pump type). We were discussing the pros and cons of changing to a different drug. The doctor thought they were much of a muchness. I pushed for the smallest and lightest pill - and that's what he gave me. He said it's the first time in his professional career that he's chosen a particular drug based on its weight!

I always carry my meds in their original container with the appropriate number of pills in each. I do not exceed the amount posted on the bottle. I have never had a problem in Spain or most of the other countries I have traveled in. The only time I had a problem was in the West Indies , customs had me open each bottle and count the pills to make sure that there were no extras. They also made sure that the pills were all the same. Not a big deal to me,just part of the process. These are the times we live in. I only carry 4 prescriptions,not as many as Fred thank goodness . I normally put them in a small zip loc, so they are easy to keep together. Buen Camino .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As someone has already written, leave them in the original package - as they have your name on them. Carry the prescription renewal with you. Always declare them on entry to the country, the worst that can happen that way is they could confiscate them. I take 5 medicines - three in the morning and two in the evening - travel extensively and never had a problem. Upon arrival I always re package into a single box for each medicine (that way I always have one of the original packages for the trip home or onwards travel) to reduce the weight and volume. Double wrap them in water proof bags and then prepare two days at a time into very small plastic boxes. Its worth noting that a lot of medicines in Spain are available in the pharmacist over the counter and are very reasonably priced. If I am going to a third word country I also take Imodium, a general penicillin and set of hypodermics -not that I am recommending this for any where in Europe!
Enjoy your walk :)

2014 was a serious medicine year for me . My list of meds equaled twelve separate prescriptions , seven in the morning , five at night . Coming from the states to St Jean I was concerned if I portioned them at the house they might get confiscated at the airport . I had written prescriptions from the Doc’s for each med to prove they were legitimate but they were not written in Spanish. It concerned me.

To minimize this particular angst ( there were many other pre-Camino angsterizes happening at the time ) I decided to pack the prescription bottles, then upon arrival in St Jean and settled in ,I could portion them out there in my room. That’s what I did. I portioned out 100 daily doses of medication ( 1,200 pills) into ity bity plastic bags and tossed the bottles in the trash after tearing off the labels . I had two large zip lock bags for stuffing small portion bags into . One for day and one for night. Voila’! .

But.

On day 21 I hurt my back and had to come home. I had 79 small plastic bags with twelve different prescriptions without identification in my backpack . I had to return home through airports and customs.

I checked my backpack at the airport, crossed my fingers and not a word was heard. Made it home and had many days of pre-portioned meds to work through. Whew

September 2016 I am continuing my Camino ,this time with only 5 prescriptions. I think I know how to handle this problem now .

How did you handle your medications? How have you in the past?
You know now major pharmacies (in the US) will portion your scrips out for you - put them in tiny recyclable, tear away plastic daily dose bags for you. Each with the name of the med and the dosage and the day printed for you. Maybe they do in England as well? Sorry - just saw you're in the states. Call CVS and Walgreens and see if they'll do it for you. )

I will need a blood test every 3 weeks is it expensive to go to a Dr for this? Is it possible? l need to link in with someone who can help me

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This would only work if you are mailing things ahead to SdC (or other enroute city)--I did as you did, carrying in original bottles on flight then into pacs once in hotel. I mailed the now-empty bottles to be held with my post Camino clothes/suitcase to SdC. Once at SdC retrieved bottles and put few remaining pills back for return trip.

Sorry to hear that you've had so many health issues. It's a pest having to tote all that weight in medications on your walks. It really is something that a heavy chore to manage on overseas trips. I always travel with my scripts and have travelled with webster blister packs that have pictures and descriptions of the tablets. My chemist in Australia now offers prepackaged sachets: https://youtu.be/XLshohR27Lk and I plan to do a trial run next trip taking the original bottles together with some sachets as they clearly labeled and certified by the dispensing chemist.

This is brilliant! I don't know why the mail order Rx companies in the USA are not using this as a marketing tool. I would absolutely use this service. F/U....I talked to my pharmacist, and they actually have a similar service that they provide for nursing homes in the area. They us blister packs instead of baggies, but still label each pack with all of the meds contained within.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.