• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wrapping backpack for air travel.

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Last night, I think I came up with a possible solution for the dilemma as to how to ship your large backpack for air travel. I had debated whether to put it in a duffel bag or even in a large luggage which left disposal issues once at your destination. I was looking for something else in my closet and I saw a plastic men's suit bag with a zipper. I said bingo! Wrapped it around my pack and it fits perfectly. It is lightweight and easily disposed.
The only possible issue I see is the possible puncture by the walking sticks in travel. I can even stick an address label through the top opening.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last night, I think I came up with a possible solution for the dilemma as to how to ship your large backpack for air travel. I had debated whether to put it in a duffel bag or even in a large luggage which left disposal issues once at your destination. I was looking for something else in my closet and I saw a plastic men's suit bag with a zipper. I said bingo! Wrapped it around my pack and it fits perfectly. It is lightweight and easily disposed.
The only possible issue I see is the possible puncture by the walking sticks in travel. I can even stick an address label through the top opening.
This Ikea Frakta zippered storage bag might be sturdier, and doesn't cost much. Plus it already has handles. If you don't live near an Ikea, I have seen them on ebay and Amazon - but for more money.

This Ikea Frakta zippered storage bag might be sturdier, and doesn't cost much. Plus it already has handles. If you don't live near an Ikea, I have seen them on ebay and Amazon - but for more money.
I never get anything around my backpack. Drop it off as it is, never had any problems.
Wish you both well, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I travelled I had my backpack shrink wrapped, I have to say it was quite expensive doing this both ways. Now I know about the Ikea bag I'll do it that way the next time.

I make a box from cardboard. Ship it in the planes belly. Get to airport retrieve box , open dawn backpack.....I am off... do the same for my departure.

I just put on my pack's rain cover. No extra cost or bulky wrap. Easy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are shipping your pack as luggage,you may try a glad bag trash bag with a draw string. It is puncture proof and the tsa won't have to cut it open when they inspect it. It also gives you the Camino merit badge for creativity.

I am using a clear mattress cover fastened with gaffer tape. I've seen packs arrive with ripped straps and then it's a headache to get it sorted out prior to setting out. Baggage handlers don't have time to be gentle with your luggage. They treat them like football players.
Buen Camino
John Mac -- Australia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm going to wrap a roll of clingfilm around mine but will be taking boots clothes and sleeping bag in as hand luggage in an apple 'duffle' bag. That way if my pack gets 'lost' at least I still have my boots and clothes etc. Buen Camino :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I get a bag for clothes washing at the Dollar General Store here in USA and my backpack fits in it perfectly. It has a drawstring on the top which I tie around the backpack handle. It is made of polyester and strong enough to survive a one way trip as checked luggage. It weighs literately nothing and costs USD 1.00. I buy 2 and use one for outbound with the other one at the bottom of my backpack for the return. No hassle and very cheap. I returned from the Camino yesterday and everything was fine. I have used this now for three Caminos and never had a problem

I am using a clear mattress cover fastened with gaffer tape. I've seen packs arrive with ripped straps and then it's a headache to get it sorted out prior to setting out. Baggage handlers don't have time to be gentle with your luggage. They treat them like football players.
Buen Camino
John Mac -- Australia
What about not checking it...that is if you don't have walking sticks?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.