• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wrapping up the Book Club, 2021

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Back at the beginning of 2021, i started organizing a "book club" here on the forum. A bunch of us had a good time reading and discussing some books together, during those days when we were deep in the pandemic and needed distractions. We still aren't completely out of the pandemic, but I think that the book club has run its course so I won't be continuing in that format.

I am still regularly reading books about Spain and the Camino, and will post threads about them when I finish. I hope others will, too. Currently I am listening to the audiobook version of Iberia by James Michener while I walk, and I have the e-version of Pilgrimage by Jonathan Sumption. They are both fascinating, but I am not rushing through them.

Happy reading for 2022!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you and David for the Book Club run. Agree it’s run it’s course, but I enjoyed acquainting myself with the Camino “genre.” Still have several yet to read and will post comments when finished.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Happy reading for 2022!
I was really keen to join the Book Club at the start, as I read A LOT, but it seems I like to read in my own time, which didn’t quite gel with the club’s.

Thank you SO MUCH for the selections on offer, as I did take good note of them.

I really miss the days of carrying a paperback, leaving it at a hostel, and picking up another one that has been left behind.

Oh well, thank goodness for Kindle!

But I still take a paperback on the long haul flight with me, and leave it at a hostel when finished. Hopefully someone else picks it up . . .

Thank you C clearly for your book based enthusiasm and inspiration in 2021. I didn't actively participate at the time however I loved to follow the conversation and it inspired me to pick up some Camino themed books I had been meaning to read. Still a few to go! Hope they last until I'm back on Camino again đŸ€ž

Back at the beginning of 2021, i started organizing a "book club" here on the forum. A bunch of us had a good time reading and discussing some books together, during those days when we were deep in the pandemic and needed distractions. We still aren't completely out of the pandemic, but I think that the book club has run its course so I won't be continuing in that format.

I am still regularly reading books about Spain and the Camino, and will post threads about them when I finish. I hope others will, too. Currently I am listening to the audiobook version of Iberia by James Michener while I walk, and I have the e-version of Pilgrimage by Jonathan Sumption. They are both fascinating, but I am not rushing through them.

Happy reading for 2022!
The whole book is great reading but Michener’s last chapter of Iberia on The Camino de Santiago is some of the best info available on the pilgrimage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Happy reading for 2022!
Thanks for all your work on this. It was a good boost during what wasn't the easiest year. I certainly read some books that I wouldn't otherwise have looked at!

Happy 2022 and Buen Camino!

The whole book is great reading but Michener’s last chapter of Iberia on The Camino de Santiago is some of the best info available on the pilgrimage.
I have just put Iberia on my list and look forward to reading it soon. Michener’s The Drifters is one of my favourite books.

As a side note, for reasons not quite clear to me as he apparently had no connection with Australia, Michener is one of the authors honoured with a plaque on the Writers Walk at Circular Quay in Sydney, seen here with my shoes:

AC58B979-C7D9-4B2F-BC45-F5CDE7CA3388.jpeg

I have just put Iberia on my list and look forward to reading it soon.
I am a recent convert to audible books and podcasts, using my nifty bone conduction headphones (which I love for walking!)

I am about 5 hours into the 37 hours and 41 minutes of Iberia, as narrated by Larry McKeever. I am very much enjoying it, and the conversational style of the narration. It makes very good company on my walks. Don't be put off by the sample of the book on Audible.com - it has him reading the Acknowledgements!.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm partway through Iberia but must admit I got distracted by other books that came in from the library. I will get back to it. The Drifters is also on my shelf. It was a favourite book when I was a teenager.

Although the Book Club may have run its course, the threads are still there should anyone happen to read any of the books we discussed and be inclined to join the discussion.

I have just put Iberia on my list and look forward to reading it soon. Michener’s The Drifters is one of my favourite books.

As a side note, for reasons not quite clear to me as he apparently had no connection with Australia, Michener is one of the authors honoured with a plaque on the Writers Walk at Circular Quay in Sydney, seen here with my shoes:

View attachment 115838
I suspect it may be from his first novel ‘Tales of the South Pacific’ which was the basis for the hit musical ‘South Pacific’. I remember reading Michener saying in his later ‘Return to Paradise’ that on the spectacularly beautiful island of Bora Bora where the Allies had an airbase, American and Australian soldiers getting out of line were threatened to “be shipped off the island”.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm partway through Iberia but must admit I got distracted by other books that came in from the library. I will get back to it. The Drifters is also on my shelf. It was a favourite book when I was a teenager.

Although the Book Club may have run its course, the threads are still there should anyone happen to read any of the books we discussed and be inclined to join the discussion.
I read all of Michener’s books and his “The Drifters” was one of my favorites as well and a primary motivation to travel. I could never finish ‘Iberia’ as it was a more difficult read and never made it to the last chapter on The Camino. I was so surprised a few years ago picking a used copy up at the Plaza de Cervantes in Santiago de Compostela and finding that last chapter on The Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back